• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The end of fighting games?(vf,tekken,DOA)

there is less excitement over fighting games because a lot of douchebag developers refuse to make them online. take VF5 for instance. "oh we can't make it online, it would hurt the game more than help it" gtfo of here you retard developers. make the game online and your sales will go up. "the time spent coding a game to be playable online could be used to tighten up gameplay or add extras" well too bad, become a more effecient programmer and make the game online-enabled!

DOA4 wasn't the smoothest game online, but i wouldn't have even bought the game if it didn't have an online head-to-head mode. lesson learned sega/namco/whoever!

Nebur

Brobzoid said:
Street fighter 4 is out in spirit. It's called SFTM and it's filled to the brim with awesome!

I hope a HighRes 2D Fighting game with new characters and the extra mode unlockeable with SF2 remake.

:(

Bebpo

Banned
marwan said:
fighting games = PC point and click adventure games

Except fighting games still make $$$$$$ in the arcade business. Look at Reno's post on VF5 with the card system and cellphone/PC subscriptions. Sega makes SO MUCH MONEY off VF5 it's not even funny. It could sell 1 copy at home and I doubt they'd care. Especially if that one person later visited an arcade with their new VF skills and got an arcade VF card and started playing the machines.

Well you know a genre is in trouble when the biggest leap in the gameplay system came back in the ps1 era and, for some unknown reason, has not been emulated at all.

JCX

FrenchMovieTheme said:
there is less excitement over fighting games because a lot of douchebag developers refuse to make them online. take VF5 for instance. "oh we can't make it online, it would hurt the game more than help it" gtfo of here you retard developers. make the game online and your sales will go up. "the time spent coding a game to be playable online could be used to tighten up gameplay or add extras" well too bad, become a more effecient programmer and make the game online-enabled!

DOA4 wasn't the smoothest game online, but i wouldn't have even bought the game if it didn't have an online head-to-head mode. lesson learned sega/namco/whoever!

Exactly. I'd probably be melee and SC2 more often if they had online modes. I don't care if the game lags a little online, because I'd be playing for fun. If I wanted serious competition, I'd play on the same console as someone else.

icecream

Public Health Threat
I don't really see this end of fighting games that everyone is suggesting... is everyone just jumping over DOA4 sales, and VF5 JP sales and proclaiming the end? When fighting games stop making profits in arcades, and people in the US/Europe stop buying console versions in droves, then we may have a problem, but I don't see such a thing yet.

Grayman

The decline of racing is a series selling multiple millions then I think fighters are doing ok :lol
Did you know that it's the end of mario because none sold as much as mario 3?

I am glad that fighter games will stay around. Many of them are great games with infinite replay. The hardcore need games to play and people who enjoy competition with friends can play the games the hardcore play just to a lesser extent.

A fighter might work online with dedicated servers and 50-80ms pings. You couldn't do frame counting but most of the game should work shouldn't it?

goldenpp72

doa4 over a million, vf5 being held back by ps3 but it will probably catch up.. I think fighters will become more popular as they go online.

Myself? Im older, my friends like easier fighters like soul calibur and smash, and the only way ill purchase a game like VF5 is with online modes.. so no online = no buy.

goldenpp72 said:
doa4 over a million, vf5 being held back by ps3 but it will probably catch up.. I think fighters will become more popular as they go online.

Myself? Im older, my friends like easier fighters like soul calibur and smash, and the only way ill purchase a game like VF5 is with online modes.. so no online = no buy.

held back by the PS3? what the hell? it's not even out here yet,

Fantasmo

People like to pick up and play and have fun. Fps games allow that even when there are no challengers in the same room. Now, I wouldnt begin to pretend that games like Halo are stealing fighting gamers away, but I am definitely suggesting that games with online multiplayer will force people who haven't played fighting games enough to see less value in them, simply due to a lack of challengers. More bang for the buck.

Unfortunately it's also nearly impossible to get a non-fighter friend into fighting games at all. Since I'm a seasoned fighting game player, I will completely devastate those who are new to them. That doesn't give new players much of an incentive to even play against me. The big fighting games developers are pinned against the wall too. They can't dumb the games down either, or the fanbase will revolt. They can't completely change the gameplay for the same reason (Re: Tekken 4), so they have to keep updating and adding and tweaking. At some point, some of us won't buy.

I think one solution would be new fighting games that fill in the gaps between Smash Bros (simple to pick up, instant gratification, longterm value due to its initially unrealized depth) and VF (seasoned pro's only).

I think the other solution is what others in the thread have echoed many times. Make online fighting games. Arcades are dead, and devs need to get with the times to broaden the userbase. Whether that means starting new games from scratch, or using old IPs, it doesn't matter, they need to just do it.

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
FrenchMovieTheme said:

Easier said than done. Lag is still an issue no matter how you code it. Games where your skill level is retarded because of you not being able to input a frame-interupt feel gimped in competition play.

Capcom Vs SNK 2 was a great game for me, but sadly, online was a pain, simply because lag would not allow me to input such things as super-move reversals or combo Geese's super.

The fighting guys know their core audience and sure, they could provide an online mode, but those who would be most excited about it would ultimately end up disappointed IMO.

Hell, right now we're just trying to make a fast-paced ball-based sports game and it's simple as simple can be, but trying to code a predictability system of some sort to provide for lag appears almost impossible when the gameplay is so bloody fast.

I love it when GAF thinks that the planet Earth revolves around Japan and their Sales-Age.

Do not judge games sales until they are World Wide released. In a long run marathon, the game will sell do well through out the other regions OUTSIDE of Japan

Japan has arcades. what's the point of playing home alone when you can go to arcades and play with other people?

besides, most Japanese PS3s are sitting insde over-ambitious auctioners's storage rooms who screwed themselves

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
black_13 said:
I'm actually going to put some of the blame on Capcom. They've seemed to put less and less effort every year into fighting game genra, the area where they were most famous for one day.

... but Capcom has the #1 arcade game in Japan (Gundam), and SF3 and SF2AE are still popular despite their age.

Top Bottom