• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The English can't catch a break

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
you are all speaking my native tongue, so who gives a fuck.

If we didnt do a lot of sacking of nations, are food would be horrific, thank god we stole india for a while, I couldnt live without spice, and curry is the most popular dish in uk, and trust me, you dont want fish and chips
Curry's are basically ours now and are as English as fish and chips and while i love a curry now and then they don't taste as good without lager or some alcoholic drink. Imagine having a curry everyday, imagine how you would stink.

martino

Unfortunately, us English have always been victims of colonial oppression, the Romans, the Vikings, the Saxons, the Normans etc have all had a go.
you should read what happened after theses ones :D
from age of discovery until last century ...spoiler: your conclusion will change

Ar¢tos

Curry's are basically ours now and are as English as fish and chips and while i love a curry now and then they don't taste as good without lager or some alcoholic drink. Imagine having a curry everyday, imagine how you would stink.
Yeah but... fish and chips aren't really "English"... Its origins are Portugal or Spain where fried fish was traditional and it was most likely taken to England by immigrants. Same as the tea, that was brought to England by Catherine of Braganza.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
all of Europe was just constantly at war for a thousand years. the English, the French, the German, Spain, all of it. that's medieval history.

imo the 20th century was far worse, there were tens of millions killed, by many countries. plus nukes.

Last edited:

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Yeah but... fish and chips aren't really "English"... Its origins are Portugal or Spain where fried fish was traditional and it was most likely taken to England by immigrants. Same as the tea, that was brought to England by Catherine of Braganza.
Yeah i know but if you've got anything about you, you take the best of everything you learn from people be it from around the world or someone you work with if your'e learning something and incorporate it into yourself or country to make yourself/country better.

INC

Well other than that, we're famous for gruel, bland and bleak, it's what we do best

Modern day Great Britain is all about them traditional Islamic calls to prayer innit.

(Woah Doc, you just woke up, chill.)

I've never once in my 20+ years of living here heard the call to prayer. Go ask 100 English people when St George's day is and I can guarantee that most won't know. It's because they don't give a shit, not because of the Scary brown bogeyman who makes up maybe 2% of the population.

INC

I've never once in my 20+ years of living here heard the call to prayer. Go ask 100 English people when St George's day is and I can guarantee that most won't know. It's because they don't give a shit, not because of the Scary brown bogeyman who makes up maybe 2% of the population.

Yep, I have no idea, st George's day is just an excuse for the EDL to wear face paint and get pissed

Last edited:
Yep, let's forget that Prussia had twice as many soldiers, totally a British victory that one.
Totally won on your own. No need for Allies, whatsoever.
Long live the queen and all that.
Let's also not forget that while the Prussian army had twice as many men as Wellington had British soldiers, the allied force he commanded was still the bigger of the two armies.

Also remember that the Prussians got their arses handed to them in the battles before hand, meaning they were initially having to retreat, and that it was Wellington taking on the bulk of the French army that gave the Prussians time to regroup and subsequently deliver their devastating assualt on the French flank, that ultimately won the day and defeated Napoleon.

It was a victory that couldn't have been done without Wellington, hinging on his choices, his choice of ground to fight on, and his gamble that his allied forces could hold and bleed Napoleon long enough for the Prussians to get their act together and land the killing blow with fresh reinforcements against exhausted enemies.

It was far from a soley British afair, but it was still the plans, actions and decisions of a British man that won the day, so there is a damned good reason as to why history records it as a British victory.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Wait it's 4 months long? Kinda feels like it will water down the spectacle. Wait and see mode initiated.

1588289911570.jpg

King Alfred the Great

-portrayed as evil and barbaric
To be fair if you judge everyone through today's lens and world experience everyone that ever lived before now is basically a barbarian... they just decided to pick the other side as "good" for this one... it's not like the Scandinavians of today were more or less barbaric than the English of today....

I've seen the term micro-penised thrown around too on gaf.. He's definitely on the wrong side of history in AC Valhalla.

Last edited:

Ballthyrm

Let's also not forget that while the Prussian army had twice as many men as Wellington had British soldiers, the allied force he commanded was still the bigger of the two armies.

Also remember that the Prussians got their arses handed to them in the battles before hand, meaning they were initially having to retreat, and that it was Wellington taking on the bulk of the French army that gave the Prussians time to regroup and subsequently deliver their devastating assualt on the French flank, that ultimately won the day and defeated Napoleon.

It was a victory that couldn't have been done without Wellington, hinging on his choices, his choice of ground to fight on, and his gamble that his allied forces could hold and bleed Napoleon long enough for the Prussians to get their act together and land the killing blow with fresh reinforcements against exhausted enemies.

It was far from a soley British afair, but it was still the plans, actions and decisions of a British man that won the day, so there is a damned good reason as to why history records it as a British victory.

That's more than a Fair Point.
Let's say, I'm just tired of historical simplification.

The French are just as culpable mind you, like we sweep under the rug the significance of the "colonial troops" in WW1 and WW2.
Just like the British did with the Australians and Kiwis, Indians, etc.

Last edited:

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
I am an Indian so I got some reasons to not like the British but yeah, in the trailer clearly the Vikings were the assholes. I was rooting for the British.
And LOL at not killing the kids and women. That's not how wars were fought in medival times.

Last edited:

SirTerry-T

Most "historically significant" countries have got their hands dirty somewhere along the line. It's the nature of the beast.
Has Dresden been brought up yet? That was certainly not one of our finest moments...but you know....war, etc.

Jbomb19

i think realism in this video game goes out the window when enemies are consistently duped by a fucking whistle.

also I love the fucking whistle function

you are all speaking my native tongue, so who gives a fuck.

If we didnt do a lot of sacking of nations, are food would be horrific, thank god we stole india for a while, I couldnt live without spice, and curry is the most popular dish in uk, and trust me, you dont want fish and chips
I think the world adapting English has more to do with America’s cultural dominance over the world more than say Englands history. If America does not grow to become the most powerful civilization in history I bet it would be Spanish or French that’s the most dominant language.

Most "historically significant" countries have got their hands dirty somewhere along the line. It's the nature of the beast.
Has Dresden been brought up yet? That was certainly not one of our finest moments...but you know....war, etc.

Yeah I wonder if British women will wear crucifixes on their heads and have a weird obsession with turnips while the men act like a bunch of boob heads.

HarmfulPepperyHarborseal-max-1mb.gif

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I am an Indian so I got some reasons to not like the British but yeah, in the trailer clearly the Vikings were the assholes. I was rooting for the British.
And LOL at not killing the kids and women. That's not how wars were fought in medival times.
2670acf2ee7b81cf1de5959f4a4c12aa8d2941ca.gifv

fd78b1c3f9edbcbc73244ce61c566c242c7f27b4.gifv

I lived in cork for a while, the city is beautiful, the outskirts are a complete shit hole, nothing but burnt out cars, broke glass and dog shit. Plus they hate the English, so didnt stay long, oh and it never stopped raining
I love Cork too, but my fav part of Ireland is Killarney

Scotty W

It is worse than that even.

Every inch of land on this planet has had blood spilled over it. Everything has been stolen from its original possessors. Everyone has a male ancestor who has committed atrocities in war. Everyone has a female ancestor who has suffered atrocities in war.

If we are truly consistent, everyone owes their existence to atrocities. Over a long enough timeline, no one has the moral high ground.

Last edited:

INC

I think the world adapting English has more to do with America’s cultural dominance over the world more than say Englands history. If America does not grow to become the most powerful civilization in history I bet it would be Spanish or French that’s the most dominant language.

Odd, never heard someone say they speak american, apart from americans, you're speaking ENGLISH

clues in the name

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
(Slight derail). Thank you for this. I was never taught about Alfred in school and never thought to read up about him but you post got me interested. Seems a fascinating character and perhaps someone who should be celebrated more in England.

Are there any good TV series about him?

No problem. He certainly was a fascinating person. There is reason why he is known as The Great!

In terms of TV series, there are none about him specifically, but he is a main secondary character in the Netflix series The Last Kingdom. Fantastic TV series. Season 4 has just dropped and it's amazing.

He is also in the TV series Vikings, but out of the two I personally think the Last Kingdom is better and more historically accurate.

Flintty

No problem. He certainly was a fascinating person. There is reason why he is known as The Great!

In terms of TV series, there are none about him specifically, but he is a main secondary character in the Netflix series The Last Kingdom. Fantastic TV series. Season 4 has just dropped and it's amazing.

He is also in the TV series Vikings, but out of the two I personally think the Last Kingdom is better and more historically accurate.

Awesome, thanks! I’ll check it out 👍🏻

The English do have an history of screwing over other countries (like Ireland and Scotland), maybe that's where the bad image comes from.

Watch the next Assassin's Creed be in Scotland and you're William Wallace.

I'd be okay with this actually. Just because I'd love to play it. Plus I could see it happening since they could re-use some assets from Valhalla not unlike they did with Origins-->Odyssey

Last edited:

SirTerry-T

David Hemmings starred in a film based on Alfred in the late sixties, haven't seen it in years so I'm not sure how it would hold up for a modern audience, great cast though.

Odd, never heard someone say they speak american, apart from americans, you're speaking ENGLISH

clues in the name
It’s sorta like how England invented Soccer but are trash at it in the World Cup while others countries like Germany and Spain consistently do well.
England brought English to the new world. America took it and its cultural impact expanded the language’s influence.

Last edited:

JimboJones

I think what he means is unhealthily battered fish and deep fried potatoes is English. Unless thats also common in those countries

Texas Pride

Banned
Anyone counting on Ubishit for historical accuracy is giving them way too much credit. They're trying to sell woke hack n slash under the guise of it being an AC game.

The English have many enemies and friends. I mean hell...they actually own any Gold that Jamaica finds on its soil but the Jamaicans still love the English.

Makes me kind of sad when I discovered that as I have heritage there, and I know that the Irish (another heritage I have) were treated worse as Slaves too.

However, I am glad that most countries got the bloodshed out of their system and are now trying to be more diplomatic with each other. I would love to see a truly peaceful world but that will sadly never happen with different ideologies on how to handle things.

Top Bottom