• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THE EVIL WITHIN is the real deal! (UK Demo impressions)

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Sebastian's animation is still highly questionable. I'm liking the enemy reactions to bullets, though. That's ultimately more important anyway.

Yeah... I'll just try not to expect too much I guess, and focus on the good stuff.

DukeBobby

I still cannot believe that so many people are on the fence with this.
yet people get excited over shit like watchdogs, lol

The excitement for Watch Dogs diminished rapidly over time. By the time the OT was made. hardly anybody gave a shit.

I'm glad this is not being hyped that much. People are excited, but it's pretty low key. I, however, am hyped through the motherfucking roof. Give it to me now.

fart town usa

Gold Member
The excitement for Watch Dogs diminished rapidly over time. By the time the OT was made. hardly anybody gave a shit.

I'm glad this is not being hyped that much. People are excited, but it's pretty low key. I, however, am hyped through the motherfucking roof. Give it to me now.

Yea, I agree. It's just that the hype for certain games and the poo-pooing of certain games makes zero sense to me at times. That's gaf I guess, ha.

DukeBobby

Yea, I agree. It's just that the hype for certain games and the poo-pooing of certain games makes zero sense to me at times. That's gaf I guess, ha.

Well, I think most of the negativity arose due to the early previews. They were pretty damn scathing after all.

Now that journalists and certain GAFfers have had extensive hands-on time with the game, the hype is beginning to build, and things are looking pretty positive.

mekes

I'm also hyped, its a nailed down pre-order. Didn't get deterred by the negative press some months back. Its Mikami, I trust him enough to deliver a horror experience I'll enjoy :)

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Well, I think most of the negativity arose due to the early previews. They were pretty damn scathing after all.

Now that journalists and certain GAFfers have had extensive hands-on time with the game, the hype is beginning to build, and things are looking pretty positive.
The thing I'll never get over is that a lot of these negative previews were from watching a section of the game, not even playing the game. And it got the game such a negative rep for a long while that it's almost ridiculous. Was Bethesda's fault for showing the gameplay off for the first time this way though.

Dusk, how does inventory management work in this game exactly?

I know there's a weapon/item wheel, but do you have to make choices on what you carry with you? Can you change loadouts in the save room or something? Still not clear on that.

Dusk Golem

Dusk, how does inventory management work in this game exactly?

I know there's a weapon/item wheel, but do you have to make choices on what you carry with you? Can you change loadouts in the save room or something? Still not clear on that.
Unfortunately less interesting than that, is one area that's not bad but not the system I would of chosen for the game. You can carry a certain capacity of different things, and can upgrade to increase capacities, but at least in the demo there was no inventory limits for weapons and key items, given the demo only had three weapons.

There an inventory you can open that slows down time in the game, from here you can set weapons am items (like matches or health items) to a quick select button (so you don't have to go to your inventory for them, four buttons as D-pad), where you can also see how much you have at what, craft trap parts for agony bolts, and a few other things.

Grief.exe

Looks like Green Man Gaming is still the best way to get this game.

25TargetedGameVoucher_Flatpage-Header_Updated_.jpg

Flat-Page-miniheader.jpg

Unfortunately less interesting than that, is one area that's not bad but not the system I would of chosen for the game. You can carry a certain capacity of different things, and can upgrade to increase capacities, but at least in the demo there was no inventory limits for weapons and key items, given the demo only had three weapons.

There an inventory you can open that slows down time in the game, from here you can set weapons am items (like matches or health items) to a quick select button (so you don't have to go to your inventory for them, four buttons as D-pad), where you can also see how much you have at what, craft trap parts for agony bolts, and a few other things.

I have a feeling that inventory management is limited for demo purposes.

I mean we know that there is a sniper rifle, an unlockable RPG, and possibly more weapons as well. Not to mention possible different types of shotguns and handguns. So I don't really see them just throwing all of that in the existing weapon wheel.

I'm thinking that you can pick and choose your loadout in save rooms. Though they might have gone for a GTAV style weapon wheel where everything you pick up stays on you forever. Can't really say for sure.

This thread, the article on GameInformer and the great preview vid from Slasher JPC made me pre-order this game this afternoon. Getting the LE and can't wait to play!

Dusk Golem

Limited Edition comes with a 3D art card, a novel called Sebastian's Diary, and the soundtrack.

One thing to note about the soundtrack is that unlike the art shown in the above post, the final edition of the soundtrack CD does look very cool.

the-evil-within-ost.png

The soundtrack disc looks just like the audio tape collectibles in the game.

Limited Edition comes with a 3D art card, a novel called Sebastian's Diary, and the soundtrack.

One thing to note about the soundtrack is that unlike the art shown, the final edition of the soundtrack CD does look very cool.

the-evil-within-ost.png

The soundtrack disc looks just like the audio tape collectibles in the game.

CD looks awesome!

xezuru

Just edited my avatar to fit the bill. Super excited doodz, I believe in Mikami.

Might just pick up the limited edition... Is that a tin case or just a box?
Would've loved an actually steelcase for the disk and not a sardine tin or paper holder box.

You guys are too nice :) Glad to see others getting pumped.

This is still being sold in other countries right, no US retailer?

Thank you for the great vid :) As soon as I saw the preview vid, the house, the thunder... I just knew...this is gonna be damn awesome. Somehow I feel bad that this game wasn't on my radar until some days ago... Completely misunderstood the game, so it's great that this thread put me on the right track.

I'm not from the US. Tried to google, but dunno if all the LE's are the same for each country.

Thank you for the great vid :) As soon as I saw the preview vid, the house, the thunder... I just knew...this is gonna be damn awesome. Somehow I feel bad that this game wasn't on my radar until some days ago... Completely misunderstood the game, so it's great that this thread put me on the right track.

I'm not from the US. Tried to google, but dunno if all the LE's are the same for each country.

The site you posted the picture from ships internationally, so I think I'll be grabbing it there! No LE versions in US.

xezuru

This might've been situational, but last time I wanted a UK limited edition (MG Rising Steelbook), I got it to ship from GAME from UK to US, and it came relatively quickly for only 1-3 dollars more than the normal 60 dollars I would've payed anyways. My only time importing from the UK but overall I think I would go for it again if needed.

The site you posted the picture from ships internationally, so I think I'll be grabbing it there! No LE versions in US.

Wow...no LE versions. That's strange to say the least :) Dunno if the shop is any good, just did a quick search for the pic. Ordered it myself in the Netherlands.

Dusk Golem

Shadows of the Damned is so weird for me. I love it, but am surprised it resonated as well as it did with critics and gamers who usually don't like Suda51's stuff. The game had flaws, and I actually feel I'm more critical of it than most. Not flaws like, 'oh, the big boner level was terrible,' but just some gameplay design and mechanics I feel weren't nearly as tight as they could be, a few sections drag a bit, I found some of the bosses to be huge bullet sponges and not very fun to fight.

But I did actually love it. I love the graphical style, the music, the sort of atmosphere it has going on. I liked Garcia and Johnson as characters. I liked the actually somewhat sad and dark backstory and symbolism of what the game is really about that plays symbolically behind everything else. Quite a few gameplay moments I enjoy, had fun kicking demon ass, reading the story books, and have beat it four times at this point. It's what I would of considered a guilty pleasure if others didn't seem to really like it, but they do which leaves me in a position of liking it but feeling I'm more critical of it than most.

A sequel to this game is one of my biggest never going to happen dreams. I've actually thought Shadow of the Damned 2 with RE6 combat mechanics could be amazing, to replace the broken dodge roll in the first game...

Dusk Golem

Also a random side thing, I forgot Mikami co-wrote Killer7. I wonder how TEW story will be, as Mikami seems to be trying to keep the details under wrap.

Andrew.

Banned
I call the dodge roll in Shadows "god roll" since it really does render you completely invulnerable to anything.

And yeah I'm with you on atmosphere and music. I loved the dumb sense of humor and connection between Garcia and Johnson. It's your retro buddy action horror comedy where the sidekick is the brainiac and the main protagonist is the dumbass. It's my personal Big Trouble in Little China of videogames.

And Killer7 is on my top ten of all time. I play it annually.

cj_iwakura

I'm down for the PS3 version, so I'll share feedback if no one else does.
Fair warning, I'm notoriously tolerant of last(and last last last) gen graphics.

And an avatar would be sweet too.

(Red eyes would look sharp.)

I enjoyed Shadows, but on its own merits. As a 'Suda' game(which he didn't direct), it wasn't up to his standards at all.

I want the original version him and Mikami had in mind.

Mr Git

Ace impressions OP, thank you - I've been trying not to watch too much footage so good to hear it's still all good. Only thing I'm trying to decide is whether to buy it at release for either my PS3 or ailing PC or wait until I've upgraded one of them.

antitrop

You got good taste, Bobby, I don't care what everybody says about you.

Top Bottom