• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THE EVIL WITHIN is the real deal! (UK Demo impressions)

dreamfall

PT fucks with you on an immense psychological level mixture that I can only concoct is like a primal adrenaline rush mixed with primal flight or flight responses. It's surreal and unlike anything I've ever experienced in a video game before and I've been playing games for over 25 years. If the entire game ends up like that demo, it could end up killing me. The warning beforehand for people that have heart or blood pressure problems is no fucking joke. Looking at it now, it's a really smart move because if this game really retains everything that was in the demo all the way through, there could definitely possibly be some player casualties if the game winds up really popular and sells well. No lawsuits will succeed because that warning was in place beforehand.

Amen to this. It was so freaky- psychologically, it plays tricks with you. There are some insane sound cues that really make that much more immersive and purely terrifying. Also, because it's so densely packed into a hallway that changes with each trip, it's so well executed. You can wander without purpose or get stalked- it's very unsettling. Absolutely loved it!

antitrop

A laser pointer wouldn't work with how the weapon aiming functions.
Yup, I guess the Counter-Strike analogy is the easiest way to explain it.

Or Rainbow Six, as it did the expanding reticle thing a year before the CS beta even came out.

Andrew.

Banned
Yo dreamfall I just sent you a friend request on PSN, same for Slasher. Got to get all my bro's together for this release. It's going to be glorious and grand.

-MD-

Really? Can you talk about why? RE6 has a laser pointer option with, from what I've seen, an extremely similar aiming system.

Imagine having a laser pointer in Counter-Strike, your bullets in CS will completely veer off where your reticle is aiming based on how your character is moving, so in Evil Within even if your reticle is 100% on the target's head your bullet can still completely miss.

A laser pointer tells you exactly where your bullet will land so it really wouldn't make sense in this game. I haven't played the game myself but this is how I understand it from what others have said.

Imagine having a laser pointer in Counter-Strike, your bullets in CS will completely veer off where your reticle is aiming based on how your character is moving, so in Evil Within even if your reticle is 100% on the target's head your bullet can still completely miss.

A laser pointer tells you exactly where your bullet will land so it really wouldn't make sense in this game. I haven't played the game myself but this is how I understand it from what others have said.

Translation: It's identical to The Last of Us.

If the reticle has a simple, pendulous sway, then yeah.

I have avoided seeing any other footage besides slashers preview. I have no idea how the aiming is in this when you first start off.

Yeah, that and the fact that the reticle expands when you move and becomes smaller/more accurate when you keep still and aim.

Because this thread exists and already contains all the most recent information.

This is the most likely answer you wil get from mods.

Funny, a mod also told me they wouldn't recommend me making a thread about the video preview I did, but I did anyways, and that went by just fine. The lack of a solid foundation around here kills me sometimes :p

I've been so nervous about this title for what feels like years, now all these quietly glowing impressions are making me nervous about getting hyped for it for some reason. Hoping Mikami retires on a high note.

DVCY201

Is PT worth playing if I already watched videos of it? Seems like it was just a handful of haunted house jump scares.

It's just jump scares. Although, there are a few scenes that are creative. So yea, check it out.

Great job on compiling all this information guys! This is looking awesome!

Apologies if old: The Delicious Sounds of The Evil Within

Upon my mention of this elsewhere:
Someone I know personally is already playing through Alien Isolation and The Evil Within.

Now we knew Alien Isolation had gone Gold earlier this week, so this was expected in the batch that Gies alluded to.

But with The Evil Within being likely among them, that means we should be getting the gold treatment as early as this next week.

-MD-

Are games usually sent out a month+ before release for review? That seems early, I assume that's a good sign though.

Are games usually sent out a month before release for review? That seems really early, I assume that's a good sign though.

Depends on a variety of factors. I know that a number of titles get sent out a tad early in with an attachment listing all the minor stuff that will be fixed Day 1 along with a sort of work-in-progress version of that patch. Also depends on their marketing plans leading up to launch, like with Bioshock Infinite's IGN exclusive review that was weeks ahead of everyone else.

But I concur, it's likely a good sign and Shinobi, general optimistic behavior aside, has seemed excited enough when jumping in these threads to support that.

Vibranium

Banned
There's now a nice 25% bonus on GMG for PC, if you're on the fence. $45 sounds absolutely more than fair for this game. I am really regaining my hype, it's too bad Bethesda initially marketed the game badly (similar to RAD with The Order 1886 funnily enough) but the last few months have been killer. I can't wait to explore.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Likely have a new trailer from TGS in the next week, so that's good. The E3 trailer was basically a combination of the two previous trailers we had seen, haven't had a full new trailer since PAX East, really.

Xpliskin

Twitter feed: They're still working on the game lol. On weekends too, crunch mode galore.

Game has yet to go gold.

@OneFlat : "My psycho is likely to break"

"Ganbare" (?) I guess.

Gurish

Wonder if we will get to see the reviews before the game is out, there is a 10% discount on the PSN store and it would be nice if it will still be available after reviews are out.

Finally got around to changing my avatar. Thanks again Slasher!

My
safe head
body is now officially ready for this - bring it on!
3AQmK.gif

Finally got around to changing my avatar. Thanks again Slasher!

My
safe head
body is now officially ready for this - bring it on!
3AQmK.gif

No problem. This final stretch of waiting is going to be rough but I hope that the crunch everyone at Tango is enduring right now isn't destroying any of them. I feel for devs at the home stretch.

AsfaeksBR

We all know that the Steam Community Hub is one of the worst places of Steam because people put their accounts on Private and keep "trolling", saying bad things about the game.

For example:

THIS GAME IS HORRIBLE
THE ONLY THING HORRIFYING IS THE GRAPHICS OF THIS GAME!! THEY LOOK LIKE 2012!!!

60 BUCKS FOR _THIS_?????

HAHAHAHA!!!!

Single player?
Come on... Welcome to 2014, If you are not going to bother with Co-Op your going to exclude a large market. I'm not forking over $60 for this.

And the bad thing is that it's ALWAYS on the first page of the forum. People keep replying to the topic, so it's always up there.
It's not a problem for people that know about the game and don't care about what others say, but it's a bad thing for those people that never heard of the game and, when they wanna check the forum, all they can find is people complaining about it. So they must see that and think "wow, this game isn't that good apparently".

Swei...
Doesn't this mean something like "the call"?
Interesting to see if that's somehow related to the final product

"Zwei" means Two in German.
So the development took 4 years not bad, I look forward to the PC version in October, Mikami does not disappoint, glad he's back in business.

abracadaver

How can the enemies still come after you when you blow their head apart?

Will they die a few seconds later or can they survive with half a head?

Grief.exe

I hope this game is good, but now I'm scared of anything that gets hyped on GAF.

>_>

I would be apprehensive if this had a ridiculously massive marketing campaign ala Destiny, CoD, Watch Dogs, etc.

The hype for Evil Within seems to be entirely grass roots within GAF.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I still cannot believe that so many people are on the fence with this.
yet people get excited over shit like watchdogs, lol

I mean, I don't think it's going to be the second coming of survival-horror or a GOTY candidate but it definitely looks like an absolutely solid survival-horror experience and one that'll be fun to come back to through the years.

I was stoked when it was revealed that Mikami was returning to his roots and I'm still stoked.

Can't wait to play this game next month.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
How can the enemies still come after you when you blow their head apart?

Will they die a few seconds later or can they survive with half a head?
They'll survive. The enemies also will keep on coming back to life when downed unless you completely destroy the brain or burn them. You can shoot off chunks of their head, but have to precisely shoot them in the brain squarely to headshot them and kill them for good so they won't keep on getting up (or down them and burn them).

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I'm not watching any media for this. Will be a blind buy based solely on the pedigree.

However, the very first footage released way back I did see, and the quality of the gameplay animation (especially after something like TLoU) was a bit worrisome. Looked pretty light and janky, so hopefully they worked on it a bit.

Otherwise yeah I'm on the hype train.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I'm not watching any media for this. Will be a blind buy based solely on the pedigree.

However, the very first footage released way back I did see, and the quality of the gameplay animation (especially after something like TLoU) was a bit worrisome. Looked pretty light and janky, so hopefully they worked on it a bit.

Otherwise yeah I'm on the hype train.

Sebastian's animation is still highly questionable. I'm liking the enemy reactions to bullets, though. That's ultimately more important anyway.

Top Bottom