• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THE EVIL WITHIN is the real deal! (UK Demo impressions)

I really dislike how his run animation doesn't match with the actual distance he covers. Looks like he should me covering more ground with how much he is moving his arms. At the speed he is going, he could be power walking lol

Still day 1. Also, I'll actually replay it since the game changes once you up the difficulty. Giving me that Perfect Dark/Silent Hill 3 vibe and I love it.

How was it on casual? I don't want to sound like a wuss but I don't have to much time to game anya more and need an easier time.

Travo

How was it on casual? I don't want to sound like a wuss but I don't have to much time to game anya more and need an easier time.
I'm right there with you, man. And with this being M rated, that means I have to wait till late in the evening to play after the little one's bed time.

How was it on casual? I don't want to sound like a wuss but I don't have to much time to game anymore and need an easier time.

Don't worry. There will be a flood of those games for you.

I understand though, because I don't have time either. Even when I have the time, I spend it doing other things like working out, hiking, cooking, etc. I only get to play in the middle of the night most of the time, but I guess that's prime time for this game. Pikmin 3 is still sitting unbeaten on my Wii U, and it's an amazing game :^/

Casual had more ammo and enemies were easier to take down. Also there's less randomization I feel on casual. Played it twice on survival and the second time I got assaulted by a group of 4 enemies featuring a bigger, fatter dude than the rest. I really wasn't expecting any more enemies as I finished the puzzles and was about to go through the unlocked door to the end of the demo.

Saw this on Psycho Break facebook page. What does it says? I think Famitsu is mentioned.

https://www.facebook.com/Psychobreak

ビッグな対談が実現!三上Dが小島秀夫監督と都内某所の廃ビルで、こわ~いけど、熱~いトークバトルがくり広げられました。どんな話が飛び出すか?! この様子は10/2発売の週刊ファミ通にて!

xkVXr80.jpg

Casual had more ammo and enemies were easier to take down. Also there's less randomization I feel on casual. Played it twice on survival and the second time I got assaulted by a group of 4 enemies featuring a bigger, fatter dude than the rest. I really wasn't expecting any more enemies as I finished the puzzles and was about to go through the unlocked door to the end of the demo.
Ok, that's what I wanted to hear, more room for error is what I Need. Mikami, im coming home, you glorious bastard

Yeah. If you sneak up behind an enemy you can take them out with a button press. Problem is, getting close is dangerous and it's hard to know when they will turn around - the enemies have great twitch animations.

I didn't talk a lot about the burning mechanic, but it is really great. It is a better substitute for RE4's melee roundhouse kicks and suplexes. If you can get an enemy down, perhaps with a shot to the head or leg, you can sprint up and spend a match to burn them. This is useful for conserving ammo and taking enemies out quickly. Be wary though, you can only carry five of these at a time.
ibBP0NGiuOo56.gif

Yeah. If you sneak up behind an enemy you can take them out with a button press. Problem is, getting close is dangerous and it's hard to know when they will turn around - the enemies have great twitch animations.

I didn't talk a lot about the burning mechanic, but it is really great. It is a better substitute for RE4's melee roundhouse kicks and suplexes. If you can get an enemy down, perhaps with a shot to the head or leg, you can sprint up and spend a match to burn them. This is useful for conserving ammo and taking enemies out quickly. Be wary though, you can only carry five of these at a time.

I think that last line is something a lot of people aren't aware of yet in that you're limited to what you can carry at a time. So even if you're super conservative with certain items like Shotgun shells, matches, or stim shots, you'll still only be able to carry so many of each item at a time. Stims I think are 2, shotgun shells are 6, and matches are you said symphonask is 5 to start with.

I think you can upgrade to carry more, though I may be wrong and I don't know how far it will extend your limit.

Amazing impressions, the positive one, BOO the bad impressions! Nah I am just kidding all kinds of impressions are great.

The more TEW threads there are the better. If it turns out as we hope (I think it will) it deserves to sell. Take notice gaf.

AsfaeksBR

If you can get an enemy down, perhaps with a shot to the head or leg, you can sprint up and spend a match to burn them. This is useful for conserving ammo and taking enemies out quickly. Be wary though, you can only carry five of these at a time.

What's the size of Sebastian's pockets?
I can get behind he carrying only a few bullets because they take a good amount of space, but only 5 matches? Really, he could drop a Revolver Bullet and put 15 matches in the same space.
I know the game will be hard, but this is just hardcore.

'twas a rad hype preview video!

Thanks. Yeah I'm proud of all the love some of us GAF folks are showing for our excitement with the game. It feels so close yet so far. The theme is pretty cool. It's a lake and pier with the lighthouse shining in the distance on a higher up piece of land and the lantern! :D
The water ripples and the moths fly around the lantern.

OO9NDmYl.jpg

Gahhhh the more of these recent impressions come out, the more I want to snag this day 1... but that Season Pass is making me a sad panda.

Still, have a feeling I will definitely be picking this up eventually as it sounds great. Fingers crossed for a flash-sale discount during Black Friday!

Gahhhh the more of these recent impressions come out, the more I want to snag this day 1... but that Season Pass is making me a sad panda.

Still, have a feeling I will definitely be picking this up eventually as it sounds great. Fingers crossed for a flash-sale discount during Black Friday!

Whats up with the season pass?

Whats up with the season pass?

People tend to hate on season passes. Multiple times you see people absolutely refuse to buy a game at launch when a season pass is announced due to a. waiting for ultimate edition with it all included. B. They think they are taking content out of the game and making you pay more for it.

That's usually peoples response around here. I can't speak for him though, just what I've observed.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Hehe, what a funny run animation. So much effort, so little distance covered.

As much as my excitement for the game has been steadily increasing over the last couple of months, the main character's basic movement animations are still terrible. Not sure how it ended up that way.

AsfaeksBR

People tend to hate on season passes. Multiple times you see people absolutely refuse to buy a game at launch when a season pass is announced due to a. waiting for ultimate edition with it all included. B. They think they are taking content out of the game and making you pay more for it.

That's usually peoples response around here. I can't speak for him though, just what I've observed.

But wasn't it already confirmed that the Season Pass are two separate stories?
The main game is there with everything it should have. The DLC's are just bonus for those who love the game and want more!

But wasn't it already confirmed that the Season Pass are two separate stories?
The main game is there with everything it should have. The DLC's are just bonus for those who love the game and want more!

Yep it's a kill mode playing as Boxhead, then two new separate campaigns with the female from the game. I think it sounds rad, but people hate them season passes with a passion.

gstaff

Something to note about casual -- there are some instances where the puzzles themselves become casual, too. I won't say much more, but the way in which the Chapter 9 safe puzzle is solved requires a bit more thinking if you're on a higher difficulty level.

Also notable about casual is that it adds an on-screen "eye" icon letting you know if you've been detected -- kinda like the indicator used in Skyrim's stealth modes.

There checkpoints are spread out at various points in the level. For example there might be three paths in the mansion - when I complete a puzzle in path one, the game will checkpoint there.

Notable: We have an Asylum hub that you visit where you can sign in to manually save. If you've played the game, this is also where you handle upgrades.

Something to note about casual -- there are some instances where the puzzles themselves become casual, too. I won't say much more, but the way in which the Chapter 9 safe puzzle is solved requires a bit more thinking if you're on a higher difficulty level.

Also notable about casual is that it adds an on-screen "eye" icon letting you know if you've been detected -- kinda like the indicator used in Skyrim's stealth modes.

Notable: We have an Asylum hub that you visit where you can sign in to manually save. If you've played the game, this is also where you handle upgrades.

He speaks! Thanks for adding the info. Ummmmm can you just go ahead and make that time fly by quicker please. I'm in agony here. :D

gstaff

He speaks! Thanks for adding the info. Ummmmm can you just go ahead and make that time fly by quicker please. I'm in agony here. :D

Yeah, I've been traveling quite a bit lately. Just showed the game at X14 in Toronto yesterday. Maybe I met some of you?

Yeah, I've been traveling quite a bit lately. Just showed the game at X14 in Toronto yesterday. Maybe I talked to some of you there?

Sadly not I. I was the one that did the ultimate video preview that you all shared on twitter, facebook, etc. :D Thanks for that, really awesome of you to do so.

Lernaean

Banned
Those are great impressions.
Please OP, and whoever else played this build, tell me the performance issues have been fixed.

steven28

I really dislike how his run animation doesn't match with the actual distance he covers.Looks like he should me covering more ground with how much he is moving his arms.At the speed he is going, he could be power walking lol

Haha.Yeah the running animations in shadows of the damned were like that as well,it doesn't really bother me though.

Those are great impressions.
Please OP, and whoever else played this build, tell me the performance issues have been fixed.

Most of them have said it's running far better on the latest build, which had been demoed on Xbox One units. Some pop-in when the area loads for a couple seconds and some minor drops I think were noted.

Mupod

I've never bothered with a season pass at launch. It's rare that I revisit a game solely for DLC, although RE5 was a great exception (I had to buy all that separate of course)

Plus season passes have been handled very poorly by many devs. Seems like all too often they either get delayed or even end up heavily discounted before all the content arrives.

It sounds like a lot of care went into altering the gameplay based on the difficulty. And based on the fact the game has stuff like beds to hide under, maybe the highest difficulty will have Grounded mode-like levels of scrounging around and planning out your attacks. I'm cautiously optimistic, but based on the reported length, environments that I've seen and gameplay details that have come to light recently, it seems like the story and final performance are the only remaining big unknowns.

Top Bottom