• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Evil Within PC Performance Thread

Afro

found a camera glitch where if you clip through a wall in debug camera mode it removes the muted color filter. looks better imo. pics are unedited, straight from steam.

edit: r_skipglare 1 in the console does the same thing. 0 re-enables the effect.

original:
evil204d6r.jpg
no filter:

The hospital area is meant to look cold though, and it changes depending on the story moment. The rest of the game doesn't have a similar filter.

Soi-Fong

Thanks for the skip intro video command.

I can get this at 60fps with 2560, drops to 50 but playable.
Or 30fps with 4K.

780ti 4770K 4.4

Either works pretty well, I use the controller for 30fps.

So far hasn't gone above 2.5 GB vram. With 1080p it's less than 2 iirc.

At a full 4k, the game drops to 25 fps in some areas. For example, in the beginning when you wake up.

I settle at 3200 x 1800.

Same here. Strangest thing

Yeah, I notice that too. There's still a bit stutter but I notice the game is more smoother with fraps on. What a weird game.

Glad to see I'm not the only one suffering that problem. Ha, I thought I was crazy!

I ended up leaving FRAPS on, left it in the top right of my screen, and cut out a small piece of black cardboard and taped it over the monitor to hide it.

PC gaming, y'all!

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
IDTECH5 is such a piece of garbage. Nobody should have to stand for this. Constrained areas with this kind of performance!?!

Yeah, but none of those textures look the same, right? Shame they look like shots of badly compressed youtube videos half the time.
I don't think The Evil Within looks like a typical idtech 5 game, there hasn't been a single time that I've come up to a wall and had it look like noisy garbage as you'd get in Rage and even Wolfenstein at times. Not every texture is perfect mind you, but it looks a lot different in general. Hell, there's actual lighting and you can interact with objects in the environment!

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Yeah, but none of those textures look the same, right? Shame they look like shots of badly compressed youtube videos half the time.

That "magic technology", Carmack was pushing in this engine since before Rage was nothing short of a failure if IDTECH5 is the result. They might as well had made it in UE4, probably would have looked better and performed much better too.

Glad to see I'm not the only one suffering that problem. Ha, I thought I was crazy!

I ended up leaving FRAPS on, left it in the top right of my screen, and cut out a small piece of black cardboard and taped it over the monitor to hide it.

PC gaming, y'all!
That's hardcore PC-gaming right there.

King_Moc

Banned
I don't think The Evil Within looks like a typical idtech 5 game, there hasn't been a single time that I've come up to a wall and had it look like noisy garbage as you'd get in Rage and even Wolfenstein at times. Not every texture is perfect mind you, but it looks a lot different in general. Hell, there's actual lighting and you can interact with objects in the environment!

Hopefully not, I've not actually started it up yet as I've not finished Alien, so I was basing that on other IDTECH5 games. Well, actually i tried to start it once to test the settings, but it always starts in windowed mode on my secondary monitor, which isn't really what I want.

Landford

Banned
Playing the game and having fun so far, but did Mikami ever gave a reasonable explanation as to why the bars take almost 30% of the screen? please dont use the cinematic word.

That "magic technology", Carmack was pushing in this engine since before Rage was nothing short of a failure if IDTECH5 is the result. They might as well had made it in UE4, probably would have looked better and performed much better too.

At least this is the last game to use this shit engine.

Good riddance.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Over on the 3D Vision forums Helifax was looking into fixing 3D on TEW and found this little tidbit in regards to rendering in OGL or DX11

Gave a look..
Apparently is an OGL engine using a Dx11 context to draw...
I dunno who is playing here (either nvidia or the dev) but WHY THE FCK would you render an OpenGL context inside a DX11 one????

So unless we can make the engine render in OpenGL (the proper way) can't fix anything....
Btw CM mode is not working....
Looking in the dev console I see OGL calls...
My wrapper is being detected on launch but that's it.... it switches to DX11 after....

OGL renderer:
wpwybnph.s04.png

OGL in DX11 emulated renderer ( Lazy port?!?!?!)
qftdh13g.eme.png

Now I wish I haven't bought this ....

And

I don't get it, so it's using both dx11 and opengl to render the game? Aren't they completely different engines? But then if it's using dx11 can't migoto work on it?

It's an OpenGL engine that uses DX11 render targets. Possibly the same way my wrapper works by using some sort of inter-operability layer. Basically all the draw calls and internal format is OpenGL. Just the Back Buffers + swap mechanism is done in DirectX11. You can share framebuffers between OGL and DX9-11.
I haven't seen an engine behave like this...
I tried will all the OGL debuggers out there...none of them is picking anything up....so something is very very weird with this game....

TBH telling me that some weird cinematic 21:9 AR and 30fps cap is HOW THEY INTENDED is bullshiet..... now we get a hybrid engine as well....

3DMigoto won't work since the draw calls are not DX. My wrapper will not work since is not drawing in the OGL buffers....but rather DX11...

Playing the game and having fun so far, but did Mikami ever gave a reasonable explanation as to why the bars take almost 30% of the screen? please dont use the cinematic word.

That's probably the kind of answer he would give, though, if he ever addressed it.

What else is he going to do? Come right out and say they needed to chop the render area to improve framerates? The game runs like shit and they know it?

Are they benchmarking that in the rain section or something?

I doubt it. Their minimum would be lower if they were. My benchmark test was averaging higher than that, but with a lower minimum.

Two different sections of Chapter 4 with plenty of flashlight use...

Avg: 58.933 - Min: 45 - Max: 112
Avg: 75.182 - Min: 46 - Max: 96

Seeing minimums of 45 at 1080p with everything on high quite regularly. Playing with the framerate unlocked actually feels smoother than the '60' I was getting using the console command.

Landford

Banned
That's probably the kind of answer he would give, though, if he ever addressed it.

What else is he going to do? Come right out and say they needed to chop the render area to improve framerates? The game runs like shit and they know it?

That is sad, really. So far, is the only thing that is getting me out of the very well done atmosphere. Sucks that i have to look around like a crazy person because of the ridiculous field of view.

The mystery deepens.

I had tried this earlier to see if using a D3D wrapper would trick the game into proper fullscreen (and to see how hilariously badly it ran through a wrapper). Got the same thing. Splash screen and then nothing different. I didn't realize what it meant though.

That is pretty dang bizarre.

Also I ran into this minor camera glitch in chapter 4...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBTo-iP1Q6g&feature=youtu.be

Varna

Currently no way to get decent FOV without the bars eh? I know, artistic vision and all of that... but holy shit. Half the screen just gone. The HUD isn't nearly as minimal as I had thought so that's more screen space wasted.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Currently no way to get decent FOV without the bars eh? I know, artistic vision and all of that... but holy shit. Half the screen just gone. The HUD isn't nearly as minimal as I had thought so that's more screen space wasted.

Try something like 2.0, or 1.9 for the aspectratio number. It's not all the way fullscreen, but it's a good compromise between the two.

JohnGrimm

found a camera glitch where if you clip through a wall in debug camera mode it removes the muted color filter. looks better imo. pics are unedited, straight from steam.

original:
no filter:
r_skipglare 1 in the console does the same thing. 0 re-enables the effect.

Ahh, thank you kind sir.

Apparently the problem was that The Evil Within doesn't have a True fullscreen mode and it was in Borderless windowed mode thus Shadowplay not working.

Also don't forget that if Shadowplay starts bugging out that you also have OBS, that is if you're wanting to record the gameplay that is.

Varna

Try something like 2.0, or 1.9 for the aspectratio number. It's not all the way fullscreen, but it's a good compromise between the two.

Thanks. I tried those but I'm just not feeling it. I'll play it the way it's intended I guess.

I can still go back to playing 4:3 ratio games when I have to. Just takes some getting use to.

Somewhat unrelated question. I know this game doesn't support G-Sync. I have my frames capped at 80 globally. Aren't uncapped frames without any kind of vsync suppose to produce screen tearing no matter what? Does this game have something like that going?

EDIT: Some kind of vsync I mean. I don't notice any tearing at all.

longy

Neo Member
It's my understanding that its already in vsync (30 fps default)

Console commands unlock them

+R_swapinterval 1 (60 fps vsync)
+R_swapinterval 2 (30 fps vsync)
+R_swapinterval 0 (unlocked, no vsync?)

I enable R_swapinterval -0 in game and force vsync through driver, the performance is so much better this way for me.

Clearly this game is built with 30fps.

With everything maxed, it's smooth with low temps.

Unlocking the 60, no matter how low I set it, it's hight temps, studder, and some crashes.

I'm content with 30 until Tango fixes this. (Hope they fix!)

The PC version even at 30fps max should be superior to the PS4, right?

Clearly this game is built with 30fps.

With everything maxed, it's smooth with low temps.

Unlocking the 60, no matter how low I set it, it's hight temps, studder, and some crashes.

I'm content with 30 until Tango fixes this. (Hope they fix!)

The PC version even at 30fps max should be superior to the PS4, right?
yea especially if you can downsample.

Will a factory OC'd 970 b e able to downsample from 4K -> 1080? I'm skeptical as to whether I'll be able to use Nvidia control panel to do this though, if this is all openGL stuff.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
What's downsampling? I honestly don't know!

It's when you render at a resolution higher than your screen and let your GPU or display shrink it down to fit your screen. Gives you improved motion clarity, higher quality aliasing, and an overall much cleaner looking image.

Here's an example in RE5

downsampling_vs_msaa_by_alooo81-d80x0bd.gif

It's when you render at a resolution higher than your screen and let your GPU or display shrink it down to fit your screen. Gives you improved motion clarity, higher quality aliasing, and an overall much cleaner looking image.

Here's an example in RE5

downsampling_vs_msaa_by_alooo81-d80x0bd.gif
Nice! I'm playing on a HDTV that goes no higher than 1080p.

Which means I probably can't do that. :(

You can turn off the various hud pieces if you so desire.

So do you guys think the way I'm playing, default 1080p/30fps max is better than the PS4 version?

I'm disappointed with the frame rate and 30fps lock.

Should I have just gotten the PS4 version since it's almost in parity with each other?

Corpekata

Banned
So do you guys think the way I'm playing, default 1080p/30fps max is better than the PS4 version?

I'm disappointed with the frame rate and 30fps lock.

Should I have just gotten the PS4 version since it's almost in parity with each other?

Fairly certain the console versions are reporting some pretty low FPS dips. Would depend on your rig.

Top Bottom