• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The first 30 minutes of The Killing Joke is awful. (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not surprised. Far as I'm concerned direct comic-to-animation adaptations are incredibly fucking stupid. I don't think there's been a single one I've enjoyed. It's not like going from a novel to the screen or whatever, where you gain the visual component, the visual sequencing and personal artistic style is already what makes comics comics. What do you actually gain via an adaptation? Voice acting? Shitty animation? Shitty attempts at emulation of a more rich visual style?

There's obviously an audience for the things, but I'll be damned if I know why.

The source material is poison.

But Jim Gordon is a gimp! And Joker is a tragic figure! And and and ... yup you're right. Ugh. That book.

Y'all gotta realize Batman is a pretty sleazy and immoral dude. I wonder if this is because society has finally caught on how awful he is and now there's finally backlash.

Took a long time didn't it, I remember they used to refer to Bruce Wayne as the "playboy billionare" but that part of him never got played up much. There was that Batman year one animated special where he, as Bruce Wayne, was shown with a prostitute I think.

There is going to be a huge internet backlash when this movie gets seen, it's inevitable. Well at least I still have Spiderman.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
What did you guys expect? The movie is a blend of the Killing Joke and TAS universes, both of which had terrible Batgirls.

dh4niel

Batman the entire time shows no emotion whatsoever. After Batman saves Batgirl, Batman reprimands her. I kid you not, the argument sounds like it's between a Father and his disobedient teenage daughter. They get into a fight, Batman easily dodges all her moves until the last kick which Batman catches, but Batgirl flips him on his back and she lands on top of him. Batgirl breathing hard looks him in his eyes and then starts passionately kissing him. She then takes her mask off, then her shirt off, and they have sex. This scene feels so forced.

What the fuck is that? That has never and would never happen. DC really don't know their characters anymore.

Dryk

The weirdest thing about the TAS Batgirl and Batman is that there's this really obvious hot for teacher shit going on and the dynamic is super fucked up. But I always had trouble figuring out if the show realised that it was fucked up or not.

HawaiianDreads

Neo Member
I have to say I'm pretty disappointed, I mean I was extremely hyped for this movie when they announced it, especially after reading the comic and saw a youtuber named Pgirts do the Joker speech, so when I saw that Mark Hamill coming back I lost my mind, but yeah....

Also this is the link to the youtuber I was talking about for those who haven't seen it yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qa0R_2K9iec

hamchan

Well that sounds terrible. The Killing Joke is great but who asked for an animated version and who asked for them to tack on their own extra story to the start.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/07...killing-joke-qa-from-the-san-diego-screening/

An article from the panel attendee who snarked at the panel and got called a derogatory term by writer Brian Azzarello.

I will say that Azzarello's take on Batman has never sat well with me; he adheres to the "Miller" belief that Batman is a psycho thug and all-around messed up person mentally; that comes through in his work, and in my view has always been a poor interpretation of the hero to make in general.

Wow what

"Batgirl, Barbara Gordon is such a strong female character. Why was this more about the males in her life?"
They fumbled with the question,saying they do feel like she is portrayed as a very strong female character
“Yeah, by using sex and then pining for Bruce.”
“Wanna say that again? Pussy?”

It's true! That's...not how you promote your newest feature.

SJRB

Gold Member
Well that sounds terrible. The Killing Joke is great but who asked for an animated version and who asked for them to tack on their own extra story to the start.

I suppose it's because the core story doesn't have enough content for a feature-length movie, so they had to fill it up with this... stuff.

HawaiianDreads

Neo Member
I suppose it's because the core story doesn't have enough content for a feature-length movie, so they had to fill it up with this... stuff.

Wonder why they couldn't just do a animated short and just follow the comic book, instead of added these extra fillers which seem to be hurting the film more than helping it.

Ahasverus

joker-laughing-o.gif

C'mon, Phonciple. We both know DC would never do that. You'd get 3 frames at most.
This gif looks better than the entirety of TKJ.+

Both Azarello and Timm should be banned from DC now. At least the movie side. I bet Geoff is NOT happy with this. Go get them.

Not surprised. Far as I'm concerned direct comic-to-animation adaptations are incredibly fucking stupid. I don't think there's been a single one I've enjoyed. It's not like going from a novel to the screen or whatever, where you gain the visual component, the visual sequencing and personal artistic style is already what makes comics comics. What do you actually gain via an adaptation? Voice acting? Shitty animation? Shitty attempts at emulation of a more rich visual style?

There's obviously an audience for the things, but I'll be damned if I know why.

But Jim Gordon is a gimp! And Joker is a tragic figure! And and and ... yup you're right. Ugh. That book.
Do you hold that same opinion to animes that stick with the source material?

Do you hold that same opinion to animes that stick with the source material?

I ... don't really watch much anime. I think the last anime I watched was Samurai Champloo or GiTs SAC and those were awhile ago. I think I watched bit and pieces of Sakamichi no Apollon for the music, which just can't be done on the page. I dunno, the GiTS thing is different because the movie changes a lot of basic blocking and style and really does it's own thing, for better or for worse. Same for Stand Alone Complex. I guess it's just that direct-one-to-one with massive reverence that I find boring.

There might also be a bit of a difference in that in my mind anime usually does action and motion far far better than western blocking/framing even if at the end of the day they're still animated by the same basic companies.

Just saw it. The entire movie has leaked online.

Honestly, the prequel wasn't bad. It should have been its own movie though. The worst part was that awful gay stereotype best friend.

As for The Killing Joke, it's good. The animation is much better in motion. I will say, the dialogue is much better suited for a book vs a movie. Half of the movie sounds like someone reading Shakespeare soliloquies. I think Harley Quinn would have added an extra layer of complexity to the film, but I'm glad they at least included her as small as they did.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
That's disappointing to hear. I had high hopes that since they were going to expand on the source material to make this feature length that they would use that as an opportunity to modernize some of the more troubling aspects of Barbra's treatment. But it sounds like the added material just adds insult to injury.

I hope we eventually get a Batgirl or Wonder Woman DC Animated film in the next couple years. The 2009 WW movie was spectacular. They can just adjust the title to make either one Batman or Justice League related like they do with all the other adaptations that don't star Supes or Bats.

This gif looks better than the entirety of TKJ.+

Both Azarello and Timm should be banned from DC now. At least the movie side. I bet Geoff is NOT happy with this. Go get them.

You guys are a little harsh on Timm, every artist fucks up once in a while. After all he's done for DC, I think he deserves some rope. Aside from The Killing Joke, he's not to blame for the quality of the recent DTVs as he wasn't involved and the last one he worked on (Gods and Monsters) was pretty good imho. I think Killing Joke shouldn't have been adapted in the first place, it's just flawed at its core even though it's not without merits.

Hopefully, now that DC has done lackluster adaptations of most of their most famous and prestigious books (TDKR, Killing Joke, Year One, All Star Superman, New Frontier), they can move on and do original stories again.

MartyStu

Slight flaw in that it was written in isolation and retroactively made canon. The sole positive of the story is that other writers made it so that Barbara overcame her disability, none of which is in TKJ. In that she's just a sobbing victim. If TKJ had hinted even slightly at Barbara being anything other than a means to break Gordon/Batman, it may have succeeded. As it stands, she's just there to get shot and for angst.

Largely the reason I hate TKJ. Takes a favorite character of mine and kicks her repeatedly for no other reason than to see how the father figures in her life reacts.

Super gross.

New 52 version is a lot better than this. That's the version the majority of her new fans like.

Heaven knows why. Pre-Flashpoint, post-TKJ Barbara is is best Barbara.

Nudull

Banned
Justice League: Gods and Monsters was a shitshow, too. From the gross prologue to some very questionable character designs.

Goodstyle

You can hide behind your snark criticisms, but this story is what made the Joker into an actual character. It developed an actual motivation and reason for being that directly contrasted with Batman's philosophy. It's what solidified the bond between Batman and Joker and what inspired so many amazing Batman stories like the Oscar winning film 'The Dark Knight'. Most people shitting on the story after the fact deeply underestimate the impact it had and what it meant to the comic book world.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Justice League: Gods and Monsters was a shitshow, too. From the gross prologue to some very questionable character designs.

I don't remember too much of the prologue outside of the Superman one. But I do remember liking the film itself more than those. And I appreciate it for using characters that we'll never in a billion years see again. Haha

Nudull

Banned
I do not remember anything gross about the prologue. Care to remind?

Superman's parents about to conceive and send him off of Krypton through some DNA thumbprint thing before Zod kills them both and implants his own DNA, sending off some extremely rape-y vibes.

firelogic

I know why the first 20mins exists but they didn't do a good job executing what they were trying to do. They were supposed to make me feel for Barbara and show me the relationship she had with Batman but I didn't care about either of them. When she got shot, I felt nothing for her.

Also the ending felt completely out of place and weird in the movie vs the comic. Babs has been shot, humiliated, and raped while Gordon was found cowering naked in a small cage after being brought to the brink of madness and here's Batman laughing it up with Joker. It's been a long time since I read the comic but I don't remember feeling this way about it back then.

Superman's parents about to conceive and send him off of Krypton through some DNA thumbprint thing before Zod kills them both and implants his own DNA, sending off some extremely rape-y vibes.

I don't recall the scene but just based on your description, that's one hell of an extrapolation.

MartyStu

Oh, I remember now. That was super creepy and uncomfortable, but definitely not a mark against the movie. Actually perpetrating the act would have been gratuitous.

A lot of people assume that Babs in raped there, since she's stripped naked. There's also been a lot of debate about that, I think, even though I believe Alan Moore said he never intended for her to actually be raped (I think he said something along the lines that the thought never crossed his mind). It's ambiguous enough, though, that I see where people get it. At the very least, I think you would say that Babs was sexually assaulted there.

Phyranion

I liked the movie. The first half had lots of cool fight scenes, and gave us some insight into the power dynamics between Batman and Batgirl. The second half was good too. I don't know what you guys are complaining about.

Goodstyle

I liked the movie. The first half had lots of cool fight scenes, and gave us some insight into the power dynamics between Batman and Batgirl. The second half was good too. I don't know what you guys are complaining about.

Most people in this thread haven't actually seen the movie, they just hate the idea of Babs and Bruce boning. That said, I don't blame them for that even though I personally like the idea, people just have different tastes when it comes to their view of Batman.

Phyranion

Most people in this thread haven't actually seen the movie, they just hate the idea of Babs and Bruce boning. That said, I don't blame them for that even though I personally like the idea, people just have different tastes when it comes to their view of Batman.
Hm. I haven't read the comics, but I know for a fact that they were together in the animated universe too (I remember it from both Batman Beyond and Mystery of the Batwoman). So it's not the first time it happens.

kinggroin

Banned
I'll keep my expectations in check. Not because what is said in the op, but because GAF has a tendency to over-exaggerate and nearly burst the hyperbole-meter when it comes to changes in adaptations.

Agreed. Lots of young hardcore geeks in here, so it's understandable. My expectations are adjusted accordingly.

Edit: On second thought, reading more impressions, this sounds like OP is on point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom