• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The first game you can remember absolutely hating

GRW810

588189_84104_front.jpg

Fuck this game.
Is it actually bad? It, and 2, seemed to get good reviews when released on Wii VC. As a platformer fan who recently acquired thousands of Nintendo Points I was going to download this or the sequel soon. Looked fine on YouTube.

Half life.

I watched a buddy play like 3 hours of it and it just looked horrible. I like it better these days but i still don't think it's the game many people make it out to be

Is it actually bad? It, and 2, seem to get good reviews when released on Wii VC. As a platformer fan who recently acquitted thousands of Nintendo Points I was going to download this or the sequel soon. Looked fine on YouTube.

It's decent.

The controls take a little while to get ahold of, and it has that collect-a-thon nature that all euro platformers of that era seem to have. But it's not bad.

Zee-Row

Banned
First person dungeon crawler. I had no idea what I was supposed to do. The longest I lived was probably 10 min. Got it because my 10 year old self thought the box art looked badass...

I should try it again just to see if I can figure it out 20 years later lol.

You also had to put 5 passwords , 1 for each party member and one for game progress.

OmahaG8

I absolutely hated the NES Simpson's games and the SNES Beavis and Butthead games.

I rented a lot of games as a kid, and those were "lost weekends" as far as good gaming is concerned.

Ricky 7

images

I bought it because it got good reviews but it turned out to be one of the worst games I've ever played, so boring.

IrishNinja

some good replies....sad to see spy vs spy but glad shitty aeros here. Mine:

Aztecadventurescover.jpg

its impossible at the end, and i instantly knew ishouldve got spa ce harrier instead...@#%&

spekkeh

Banned
[Swords and Serpents]

First person dungeon crawler. I had no idea what I was supposed to do. The longest I lived was probably 10 min. Got it because my 10 year old self thought the box art looked badass...

I should try it again just to see if I can figure it out 20 years later lol.

Ha yes, exactly this for exactly this reason, although I think I luckily only rented it.

The boxart was awesome, and at the back they had all these beautifully large sprites (for that time) of amazing enemies. Then when you played it it was just some static screen. You pressed the move button a few times, then suddenly some monster was on the screen and you were dead.
I tried it a few times, but I just could not figure out how it should work, and it was disappointing as feck. Hated spending money on it.

brainpann

Starfox Assault.

I love Starfox and I love the first level in Assault, but it quickly goes downhill, mostly due to the controls. For years now, I periodically pick it up, hoping that ill find some new redeeming quality to keep me playing. No luck. I think I hate it so much because I just want to like it but can't.

GRW810

It's decent.

The controls take a little while to get ahold of, and it has that collect-a-thon nature that all euro platformers of that era seem to have. But it's not bad.
Thanks for the info. I like collecting in games so that would suit me just fine. From what I saw on YouTube there seems like loads of different routes to take, each filled with collectibles.

Brewer

Neo Member
Some He-man title for C64. And Ice Climber, don't know why but i never wanted to play it as a kid, still hate it.

Asparagus

There's really only one game I truly despise.

lX1t9DK.jpg

The demo was so good but everything after that....... ugh.... I basically pissed away £30.

SimplyJah

jurassicparksega.jpg

The stupid inflatable boat sequence. I got past it maybe a handful of times but then would immediately die after to the T rex, or the velociraptors or something and have to go back through the boat sequence again. Ragequit after a couple days of trying.

Valkyria

Banned
The Lost World for Psx.

thelostworldjurass.jpg

I had so much fun with Jurassic Park on Mega Drive, that when asking for Christmas the psx I asked for tha game. It was incredible hard, and there was no save feature, unbelievable.

EvB

Same for me, I both loved it (animated intro and "speech") but also hated it because I couldn't get past the first level.

Once my dad got to some guy in a mall who fired darts, that was the only time we ever saw that/

ChronoX

As a child when you're given one game to rent for the weekend, it hurts when you get home and realize that the cool game cover tricked you into thinking it will be an awesome game. I rented this crap it still pains me to this day.

rolling-thunder.jpg

Daingurse

jurassicparksega.jpg

The stupid inflatable boat sequence. I got past it maybe a handful of times but then would immediately die after to the T rex, or the velociraptors or something and have to go back through the boat sequence again. Ragequit after a couple days of trying.

This sums up my experience with the game. Except as a child I didn't know any better and enjoyed it anyway.

Conan-san

Marble Madness for the Megadrive

It was a rush purchase for a birthday (another one left me with Bubsy 2, but at least that was mildly fun). It worked as well as you could expect a game that used a track ball for it's arcade version to do, which is to say badly.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Ghost Busters for NES

Ghostbusters.png

I never had any idea what the hell I was supposed to do here.

I still have no idea what you were supposed to do there.

A friend gave me that game for my Apple IIe with no instructions at all. I had to slowly figure out what to do by experimentation, which sucked because it takes like an hour to play one game of it. I think it took me at least two years to actually see the ending.

At that screen you're supposed to move the Ghostbusters cursor around the city and cross the paths of the ghosts moving toward Zuul. Then when a building flashes, go to it, push towards it, and press the action button. During the driving sequence, suck up the ghosts as you pass them, then you'll have to bust a Slimer-type ghost at your destination. This continues endlessly until enough PK Energy builds up (9999) to unleash Gozer. If some condition is met by then, you fight Gozer and seal the portal.

It was that last condition I always had trouble figuring out, and I actually don't remember it now, either.

Terra

I just remembered: Bayou Billy for the NES.
I don't think I even made it from the first stage. So....haard.

Skirn

The controls were awkward, graphics were barely servicable and the only music in the game consisted of a shitty rendition of Bach's Toccata and Fugue that'd loop over and over again. Absolutely atrocious.

Xelinis

Xenosaga_Episode_II_-_Jenseits_von_Gut_und_Bose_Coverart.png

Growing up, there were a lot of games that I just simply disliked. It wasn't until Xenosaga Episode II that I understood what true hatred was. This game is just insulting.

Terra

Xenosaga_Episode_II_-_Jenseits_von_Gut_und_Bose_Coverart.png

Growing up, there were a lot of games that I just simply disliked. It wasn't until Xenosaga Episode II that I understood what true hatred was. This game is just insulting.

Could you explain more. The first in the series was very good imo. Did not get around to play 2 or 3.

Yeah that game was terrible, but all my memories of playing it were erased by Xenosaga III.

When I was young I don't remember ever hating a game. If I was playing a bad game odds are I was just confused, like I thought I was playing it wrong or something. Even now that I'm older I rarely hate a game, even if I don't like it much.

But the one game I can remember hating with the fury of a thousand suns is probably Red Faction Armageddon. HOOOOOOOOOOOOLY SHIT I hate this game so MUCH! $60 preorder on Steam for this hunk of garbage and then I play it and find out it has nothing that made the previous game good.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Could you explain more. The first in the series was very good imo. Did not get around to play 2 or 3.

Xenosaga II is almost universally regarded as a terrible game, with a battle system that largely relied on random chance and luck. There's way more about it to hate, but that's the one thing that always sticks out to me.

Xenosaga III, however, is fairly amazing and the best game in the series.

star_wars_knights_old_republic_2.jpg

KOTOR.

Here I was expecting what I would eventually get from Force Unleashed, and instead I got standing in place and dice rolls.

What a piece of shit.

Now in my top 5 favs.

Top Bottom