• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The first game you can remember absolutely hating

39613-Blast_Corps_Europe_EnDe-10.jpg

I don't know what hate is until I rented this game

jPRGOVD.jpg

And this was supposed to be The Next Big Thing. I saw a video review on YouTube, but it was taken down a long time ago.

Power_Rangers%2B-%2BTime_Force_%2528U%2529_gba.jpg

So much potential, and yet I beat it within an hour. Never played a THQ game again.

paully

Banned
Seriously it's my least favorite system. Outside of a handful of first party games it felt like a console purely for shovelware. PSX stomped on it when it came to 3rd party support.

Glover was garbage and something I still loathe to this day.

I enjoyed it back in the day (SM64, GoldenEye, Perfect Dark, Zelda, etc..) , but the system had plenty of shovelware as you say, poor 3rd party support, and it has aged worse than any other console in recent memory.

tm1cover.jpg

Rented it from Blockbuster. One of the first games I ever rented there. Took it home and, within a half hour, I absolutely hated it. Couldn't see myself playing this for whatever number of days they let you keep it. Went to the extent of going back the same night and asking if I could exchange it because it wasn't working right when it was working perfectly fine, just to get rid of it.

I don't know why I didn't like it. Down the line, I played Twisted Metal 2 for hours and loved it. Never really touched the series since.

Honestly, Half-Life 2. It was not even close to as exciting as my cousin initially made it seem. I was so bored and bummed out by the end of the game that I didn't want to touch another Valve game again...but then I played Portal.

Basically, I really can not believe how disappointed I was with Half-Life 2..and with Portal 2.

Amir0x

Banned
I remember really hating that Tom Sawyer game on NES when I was little

maybe because I sucked so bad at it and kept dying on that mansion level after the balloon one...

awa64

Banned
Soccer Mania, Dragon's Lair: The Legend, Hook, Hudson Hawk, Bram Stoker's Dracula, Last Action Hero, 3 Ninjas Kick Back, Chuck Rock...

Sony 1990-1994 sure went out of its way to prove "free" doesn't mean "good" to young me.

jWILL253

Banned
Honestly, Half-Life 2. It was not even close to as exciting as my cousin initially made it seem. I was so bored and bummed out by the end of the game that I didn't want to touch another Valve game again...but then I played Portal.

Basically, I really can not believe how disappointed I was with Half-Life 2..and with Portal 2.

You're a brave one...

You disobeyed one of the 10 Commandments: Thou Shalt Not Slander Half-Life 2

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member

The input delay in this game is legendary.

You could input a combo, go make a sandwich and come back in time to watch the other character die.

Really cheap US cash in on the popularity of the anime at the time. IIRC the cutscenes were straight up just scenes from the anime recut.

The story mode is pretty easy. You can clear everything just by mashing.(which is pretty much all you can do as the game is too laggy to reasonably play any other way)

Then you get to the final boss vs Toguro and welp.

Even as a kid who was obsessed with the anime, I could see this for the piece of crap that it was. Saved up birthday money to buy it full price too so it's the only thing that really comes to mind when you ask me about the first game I truly hated.

I started on my family's Atari 2600, and I hated nearly every game we owned except for Superman and Defender. The one game I really wanted to love the most that was also the most brutally difficult, unfair, and just overall impenetrable was Raiders of the Lost Ark. It was like a proto-Zelda, but you got attacked by snakes that were the same color as parts of the background, thieves who would steal your vital items, walls that you had to shoot over and over again to slip out of, and worse.

I didn't really become a gamer until I got my NES. The first game I hated there was probably Swords and Serpents, which was slow, boring, difficult, and had a terrible system with a bunch of passwords to save your game and party. It almost turned me off of RPGs forever, but I playd Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest not long after.

Intru

My memory's pretty poor so there might be something else, but me and my friends went to a rental store and got Superman 64 back in elementary school. Don't need to say it but we certainly did not have a good time.

Neogaf classic.

fpOBqma.png

Rented this for Genesis and absolutely fucking hated it. I was very glad to see this appear on a "Top 10 Worst genesis games" list recently.

Airboarders 64. Someone at school rented it and was talking about it so I later did the same but it turned out to be garbage. Never trusted just anyone's opinion after that.

antitrop

While I'm sure it isn't a bad game, my brother always wanted to play this:

I couldn't get past this screen without being bored out of my mind
200px-MLBPlayerSelectionScreen.png

To date I think there is only one baseball game I have ever liked and it was Batter Up on the game gear.

Yup, totally had this game as a kid, too. One of the worst ways to start a video game, ever. The actual baseball game was pretty good, though. But yes, I mostly have memories of the fucking menu.

fpOBqma.png

Rented this for Genesis and absolutely fucking hated it. I was very glad to see this appear on a "Top 10 Worst genesis games" list recently.

Almost bought this one going on screenshots alone. Thank god I didn't. It had the China Warrior effect of trying to wow you with BIG characters, but was really a piece of shit game in the end.

Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring for the GBA. Also the first game untried to return to target because I was convinced it was broken.

Rogue Galaxy: Great visuals and all but the story went from interesting, to a cliche ridden mess faster than you can flip a coin. The battle system got bogged down with annoying enemies that could be damaged a certain way and the dungeons got long. I was saved by the fact I didn't pay much for it but man did that game tick me off something fierce.

Almost bought this one going on screenshots alone. Thank god I didn't. It had the China Warrior effect of trying to wow you with BIG characters, but was really a piece of shit game in the end.

Yeah the graphics were incredible with really high quality player models. But... god the game sucks. Look up a video of it, so frustrating

Chemo

1251901174-00.jpg

Such a piece of shit. Played it one of those summers in elementary school when a new game was rented every couple of days.

heyf00L

Lots of people making the ignore list in here. If you HATE the best games ever made, you don't have anything to say that I want to hear.

jWILL253

Banned
Especially the graphics and audio. Fucking horrible all-around.

Actually, that game was beautiful in some parts. The Crystal Lake, Grand Pulse & some of the best hair and cloth physics in this generation...

Lots of people making the ignore list in here. If you HATE the best games ever made, you don't have anything to say that I want to hear.

Hey man, there's a hipster in all of us...

clem84

Gold Member
Actually, that game was beautiful in some parts. The Crystal Lake, Grand Pulse & some of the best hair and cloth physics in this generation...
I think he was being sarcastic. Whatever your personal tastes are, it's hard to argue against the graphics of this game. I think it's silly to say that a game with high production values like XIII has zero redemming qualities. It's one of prettiest game this gen. Audio wise, to me the game was nothing special. Overall I thought the gameplay was pretty good. But hey to each his own.

clem84

Gold Member

It happens to everyone. I generaly don't dislike really popular games but there are always exceptions. For example, I hated MGS3 and I'm well aware that it's universally praised. It happens.

Magnus

Hating? As in, not just 'not liking', but rage-inducing? Easy.

Final Fantasy XIII. Found it offensive to all my sensibilities as a gamer and an FF fan.

Blades of Steel; My cousin knew how to activate the fights, and always won the game by doing so.

Super Star Wars: Was too hard for my young self, rage inducing. Felt bad that I never beat it.

Top Bottom