• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Football Manager series |OT| Mourinwho?

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
No, no problem with training or physios. Just bad luck?

Sometimes shit just happens. Normally my players remain in relatively good shape without any major injury crises, but in my second-last season I had to promote my entire Under-19s defence as I lost 3 first-team defenders to injuries.

It's a blessing in disguise though, as it helped them progress from "leading stars in the Championship" to "decent Premier League" players, and they will easily be "leading stars in the Premier League" before they're 23. My 17-year-old DR in particular is now my first choice.

Nyx

Y5knvkx.png

Needed a win to go to the knockout phase and decided to give some players a bit of rest...

industrian

You ever have one of those games where you feel sorry for the opposition?

This is the first game in the expanded FC Halifax Stadium (39,484 seats, upgraded from 26,000). We played at Elland Road last season during the expansion and I felt we struggled a lot (possibly due to home games being technically away games). That and the attendance at these "home" games was atrocious. I'm hopeful that I can win the FA Cup or League Cup this season (I've won every possible cup/trophy excluding those) but this season is all about saving money to be honest. I want to build up a sizeable war chest as I feel I will need to replace a few big players within the next 3-5 seasons.

I have Norwich in seventh in the EPL in my second season — after an awful start where we picked up two points from the first six games. We are now the highest scoring team in the league, which is kind of hilarious since our frontline is, like, Kyle Lafferty and 20 year-old Josh Murphy. Javier Garrido is somehow the league's most creative left back, too.

I have Rabiot as a DLP now, and Stark is arriving in the summer. And I picked up Bertrand for 4.2M euro in January after Chelsea transfer-listed him.

Kind of stunned by how easy it's been, really, and we're soon to face either Stoke or Blackburn in the QF of the FA Cup as well.

MrGlass

Quick question for you guys, what is the default sort order you have for the popup menu of players when clicking the down arrow on the player selection screen before a match? I clicked one of the columns accidentally and can't seem to get the order of players back to the way it was before.

How is their composure? I think that is the most important attribute for strikers next to finishing.

Yep, they had good composure (14+) so that's why i was confused. They seem to be doing ok now though so it's no longer an issue. Thanks anyway though.

Guh. Working on Wolverhampton and my defense is atrocious. Scoring the most goals so far at like 75 through 32 games but conceding 65. And now going on a 6 game losing streak.

What's your formation?

Mainly 4-1-2-3 asymmetrical or 4-4-2 depending on who's hurt. My biggest problem is i have a couple quality strikers who i can't seem to offload and i have no one decent enough to play dm besides a 20 year old who is average at best.

And I had to sell my best defensive guys cause I had no money.

I may start over and see if I can't offload one of my strikers in favor of a good dm. or something.

Nyx

Champions again in my 2nd season at Liverpool, another great season for Coutinho, Sturridge and Dragovic who were the top 3 players in ratings of the EPL.

FA Cup final is up next, against Man Utd.

Only the CL was a letdown as we had to face Bayern Munchen in the 1st knock-out round and one of my defenders got a red card in the first match which made sure Bayern won 0-3 at Anfield. The 2nd match could have been done on paper only, 2-0.

So my goal for next season is to get further in the CL than the 1st knock out round, hopefully the draw will be better this time around.

Jackano

2026. Shortage of forwards. My star, Nepote, got 4 months injury.
2028. Got the same thing! >_< Nepote out for 2-3 months, returns in December probably.

The game challenged me itself by sending into retirement 5 or 6 members of my staff, including my assistant and the head of youth.

Also tried again the Olympics Games, lost in finale. Last time was 2018 and I got 3rd place :/
Anyway since Rudi Garcia goes into retirement too, he left the french national team and they gave it (again) to me. Couldn't refuse even if I think it's too early to return.

industrian

Any tactics to share?
I'm searching something with 3 DC, maybe a 3/3/3/1 like Bielsa used with Bilbao.

I'm boring and use a conventional 4-4-2.

Unless I expect to lose, then I play a 3-1-3-1-2. Unless I expect to lose heavily then I play a 3-2-3-1-1:

hJwXO7G.jpg

I've not used these tactics a lot as I don't have any world-class Attacking Midfielders. That and I'd prefer for my AM to also be a natural M so he can fit with my preferred 4-4-2 lineup.

iJudged

Banned
Just got the note 4 and bought football manager handheld 2015, it's $10 bucks, best 10 I have ever spent, great game, decent depth, I am hooked.
football-manager-handheld-2015.png

H1PSTER

Guys I used to think the MLS was scary and horrible but I started a NYCFC save and it is the most fun I've had in a very long time.

You basically get a few months to create a whole squad from anew in time for the season and there is every chance you can be competitive, I came third in my first season and won it in my second.

You could build your team around Lampard and Villa or you can use them to supplement the talent you'll bring in, either way will work! I sold Lampard after the first season because he didn't work with the pressing football I wanted but I used the money to get more youth in and we pushed for the title.

Then after that season Villa got a career ending injury, luckily he was a decent reserve coach so I got to rid him of the 90k PW and signed him for a modest 3k PW.

Nyx

Wonderkids are so cheap to buy in the first few seasons.

Expect for the English ones, if there are any... ;-)

It's hilarious how much money some of the smaller clubs ask for good players, there's a great regen for example at West Brom, a 18 year old goalkeeper who would replace Mignolet in a heartbeat. I've gone all the way up to 20 million euros, but they ask for 69...

industrian

I normally buy my youth players from Germany with some from Italy. If a player is over 16 then I usually won't buy them - unless they just turned 17. I need to meet those Champions League rules somehow. :p

I have the entire back four, the MR and the ST from the Italy Under 21s team in my first team and reserves (with most out on loan to get experience). My German youth players (GK, DR, DC, ML) have made it into my first team and have all broken through into the main Germany team - with the GK seemingly playing for both Germany and Turkey whenever it suits him.

My most expensive youth player cost me £12 million from Middlesbrough when he was 16. But I figure he'll be the best MC in England by the time he's 21.

I really want to be able to develop my own youth team from the ground up, but it's impossible. I've asked the board to improve all of the youth facilities and recruitment, and in fairness they've agreed to everything. But the best potential stars I get are one or two "leading stars in the Championship" every five years. Most of them have barely good enough potential for League 2. I've never had my Head of Youth Recruitment recommend any of the players that come into my youth team, but I need to keep a few of them around to meet Champions League rules.

Nyx

I normally buy my youth players from Germany with some from Italy. If a player is over 16 then I usually won't buy them - unless they just turned 17. I need to meet those Champions League rules somehow. :p

I have the entire back four, the MR and the ST from the Italy Under 21s team in my first team and reserves (with most out on loan to get experience). My German youth players (GK, DR, DC, ML) have made it into my first team and have all broken through into the main Germany team - with the GK seemingly playing for both Germany and Turkey whenever it suits him.

My most expensive youth player cost me £12 million from Middlesbrough when he was 16. But I figure he'll be the best MC in England by the time he's 21.

I really want to be able to develop my own youth team from the ground up, but it's impossible. I've asked the board to improve all of the youth facilities and recruitment, and in fairness they've agreed to everything. But the best potential stars I get are one or two "leading stars in the Championship" every five years. Most of them have barely good enough potential for League 2. I've never had my Head of Youth Recruitment recommend any of the players that come into my youth team, but I need to keep a few of them around to meet Champions League rules.

Yeah buying foreign youngsters is a lot easier but I want (ideally) at least 6 English or perhaps British players in my starting 11.

Tried Callum Chambers from Arsenal too as they haven't been as succesful as Liverpool and I thought he would be interested in a move. Well maybe he is, but Arsenal asked more than 250 (!) million euros for him... Surely I could get him for let's say 200 or so, but that is still laughably overpriced.

industrian

Yeah buying foreign youngsters is a lot easier but I want (ideally) at least 6 English or perhaps British players in my starting 11.

My first team has a Welsh goalkeeper and an English DL. And that's about it. But if there was a joint UK national team, they'd be number one choices for their positions.

In my youth/reserves team I've got a 4-5-star potential English MC and Scottish ST. Both should break into the first team within the next few seasons.

And that's all the good players from the UK that I can think of.

On the other hand...

My team is like the United Nations. And that's an old screenshot that's missing out a lot of guys (my Argentinian MR, ST and Senegalese ST in particular). I've got at least 30 internationals in my entire team.

Beefy

Expect for the English ones, if there are any... ;-)

It's hilarious how much money some of the smaller clubs ask for good players, there's a great regen for example at West Brom, a 18 year old goalkeeper who would replace Mignolet in a heartbeat. I've gone all the way up to 20 million euros, but they ask for 69...

Yeah. I bid for a Spurs youngster that they never played and they wanted 27m.

Started another Wolves save. Went with a 4-3-3 this time and it seems to be doing better *crosses fingers*

also dat feel when you score on a premier league side and then park the bus to win.

Randdalf

I'm having trouble getting anywhere in 2015. I eventually found a tactic that worked for me in 2014, and 2012 was a cakewalk once you figured out the subtleties. I haven't taken on the easiest jobs to be fair (mainly lower league struggling teams) but I'm now manager of the USA (they seem to have low standards, highest finish so far is 24th in League Two) and so I'm hoping it gets more enjoyable and less frustrating.

Nyx

My man Raheem Sterling scored the winning goal for England in the 93rd minute in the World Cup final in 2018 against France.

Loris146

I'm having trouble getting anywhere in 2015. I eventually found a tactic that worked for me in 2014, and 2012 was a cakewalk once you figured out the subtleties. I haven't taken on the easiest jobs to be fair (mainly lower league struggling teams) but I'm now manager of the USA (they seem to have low standards, highest finish so far is 24th in League Two) and so I'm hoping it gets more enjoyable and less frustrating.

I love 4-1-2-2-1 tiki-taka with the " falso nueve " but you need good players for this tactic.

industrian

On my game, AVB became England manager and won the world cup in 2018. Got a chuckle from me.

In my game (FM13) Guardiola took over from Sir Alex, and 10 seasons later is still at Manchester United. That and Mancini never got fired and is still at Manchester City.

Considering that I've made FC Halifax the 2nd best team in Europe (Man Utd are 1st, Man City are 3rd) I imagine that I will be offered the job if either of these two leave.

Came eighth in the EPL in my second season at Norwich, but qualified for the Europa League by winning the FA Cup. In the third season, I'm struggling to juggle all the different competitions and am sitting in ninth in the league. Through to the knockout stages of the EL, though, and I finally have some young players to care about (developing youngsters is really the only reason I play these dumb games anymore).

industrian

I knew this was going to be a squash match, but not this hardcore. I imagine that my team were just politely lining up to take shots:

When we were 5-0 I switched to Overload and the goals kept coming. It's now my highest win.

Anderlecht have been my whipping boys for quite some time now:

Season 3: struggling in midtable in the EPL, but through to the semis of the Europa League and back in the final of the FA Cup, against Chelsea again.

Franco Baresi just bought my football club.

Won the FA Cup again and the Europa League. Finished 8th in the league, but qualified for the CL because of winning the EL.

I've had three terrible youth recruitments back to back, though, so I'll probably stop playing this save. It's only fun when you have kids to develop.

industrian

Won the FA Cup again and the Europa League. Finished 8th in the league, but qualified for the CL because of winning the EL.

I've had three terrible youth recruitments back to back, though, so I'll probably stop playing this save. It's only fun when you have kids to develop.

In 14 in-game years I've yet to recruit a youth player that will be anything more than a "decent Championship player". I wonder what I'm doing wrong sometimes, as I've consistently requested that the board (and been granted) upgrades to youth recruitment, youth level, youth facilities, etc and yet I get nothing. So I just bought a bunch of promising 15-16 year olds from German and Italian teams instead.

industrian

Quite possibly the greatest "out" I could ever get. But I'll keep playing for another few seasons at least. The board will expand the stadium to 50,000+ seats and my youth players are becoming beasts. There's still plenty to play for.

I was on course to be undefeated in the league as well, but lost my last two games.

And English football is unstoppable. FC Halifax vs. Man City in the Champions League final, and Chelsea vs, Liverpool in the Europa League final.

Nyx

Quite possibly the greatest "out" I could ever get. But I'll keep playing for another few seasons at least. The board will expand the stadium to 50,000+ seats and my youth players are becoming beasts. There's still plenty to play for.

I was on course to be undefeated in the league as well, but lost my last two games.

And English football is unstoppable. FC Halifax vs. Man City in the Champions League final, and Chelsea vs, Liverpool in the Europa League final.

Amazing, congrats!

Hilarious thing happened, Arsenal fans are frustrated that I sold Oxlade-Chamberlain at a considerable loss....10 YEARS AFTER I BOUGHT HIM, somehow my fans are remembering everything.

BTW as long as we're posting our biggest wins:
Yes I actually lost the first leg 4-2 :lol

industrian

Amazing, congrats!

It's a good feeling when everything comes together.

The funny thing is that was my "weakest" season so far. I had sent out all of my youth players on season-long loans and had no backup for the first team.

Now I've done a clean-up and sold some of my second-rate first team players and promoted some of the youth players. I've got almost £90 million in the bank now and don't feel like spending a penny. All is good for the future.

Hilarious thing happened, Arsenal fans are frustrated that I sold Oxlade-Chamberlain at a considerable loss....10 YEARS AFTER I BOUGHT HIM, somehow my fans are remembering everything.

BTW as long as we're posting our biggest wins:
Yes I actually lost the first leg 4-2 :lol

I lost the first leg of the League Cup 3-1 to Tottenham. Won 4-1 on the second leg. I had no idea we'd come back from that.

And regarding the fans getting bitchy, I begrudgingly just sold the DC I'd been using for the last 5-6 seasons. He's 30 years old, his contract was up in a year, and I figured I should cash in on him now and give his space to my 21 year old wonderkid DC. I felt lucky to get £9 million, but my fans hate me for it. I just hope I don't live to regret it.

Westlo

Why the fuck do players come to you with issues while you're on holiday in FM15? I just started a wolfsburg save with LFC's Winter update and the first international break half my squad are pissed off at my insensitive treatment of Naldo.

I WAS HOLIDAY YOU STUPID FUCKS.

Hope they fix this shit in the official update....

Talking about my wolfsburg save, really enjoying it, first one since my everton one which i stopped playing after i signed Bale and Messi in the same window....

Bas Dost is like a fucking god in this save.....

German Cup vs Wehen scores 3 goals with 9.6 rating
Paderborn scores another hat trick for a 9.5 rating
Frankfurt scores only one goal (7 rating) but had like 2 headers hit the woodwork in the space of 3 mins, subbed him off for Lord Bertner...

And now my latest game played against Freiburg he scores 4 and gets another to hit the woodwork for a 9.8 rating.

Based Dost....

industrian

You have to love that magic time where half of your team gets called up to international tournaments (African Cup, South American Under-21s, whatever) that are being held at the same time. I actually found myself hoping that the nations my players were in would lose so they'd get back quicker.

Combine this with injuries to key players and my heavily-depleted team was essentially running on fumes for a few weeks, basically scrapping 1-0s with crap teams and drawing 0-0 with big teams. I'm still top of the league - and undefeated - but it's amazing how quickly your team can be ravaged when the stars align once in a few seasons.

Nyx

I should start up the game again...

Always have these periods where I play almost daily, then just stop for a few weeks or even months.

Top Bottom