• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Football (Soccer) Thread - Season 04/05

Status
Not open for further replies.
DCharlie said:
played my regular footy game last night, and the Argentinian guy on the side mentioned that next week his good friend would be playing with us....

Ossi f*cking Ardiles!!!

... i'm still in shock.

Whoa! Do tell, do tell!

Hooker

Standings in Europe ATM. Number 1's go through, the 2 best numbers 2's go through. The rest of the number 2's go in a playoff kinda thingy for the last tickets. The countries with an asterix (*) have 7 teams in their pool (opposed to the 6 in other pools) So the results against the number last don't count.

Code:
Rank  	Country		 	Position         Matches - Points	Goal Difference
1. 	Nederland*	 	1.	 	     	7-19	 	18-3	
2. 	Tsjechië*	 	 	2.	     	7-18	 	25-7	
3. 	Polen	 		1.	 	     	7-18	 	22-5	
4. 	Portugal*	 	1.	 	     	7-17	 	19-4	
5. 	Oekraïne*	 	1.	 	     	7-17	 	11-2	
6. 	Kroatië	 		1.	 	     	6-16	 	16-3	
7. 	Engeland	 	 	2.	     	6-16	 	13-3	
8. 	Zweden	 	 		2.	     	6-15	 	23-2	
9. 	Italië	 		1.	 	     	6-13	 	9-5	
10. 	Spanje	 		1.	 	     	7-13	 	10-2	
11. 	Ierland	 		1.	 	     	7-13	 	11-4	
12. 	Servië-Montenegro	 	2.	     	6-12	 	10-0	
13. 	Zwitserland	 	 	2.	     	6-12	 	13-4	
14. 	Slowakije*	 	 	2.	     	6-11	 	15-6	
15. 	Turkije*	 	 	2.	     	7-10	 	9-7	
16. 	Noorwegen	 	 	2.	     	6-9	 	6-3
Only England & Sweden can catch the Czech Republic for the 2 "best number 2" spots. Rest of them, Playoffs!!

Translation: Netherlands - Czech Republic - Poland - Portugal - Ukraine - Croatia - England - Sweden - Italy - Spain - Ireland - Servië-Montenegro - Switserland - Slovakia - Turkey - Norway

Hooker

Bayern's Sammy Kufour -> AS Roma

Ghost: In that case it's going to be even easier for Holland/Czech Republic to qualify. I don't think either team will drop points against the "smaller countries" - So that game in Prague is VERY crucial.

We were stupid enough to drop points against Macedonia (2-2 draw) so we need a win/draw to come on top of the group. (We beat the Czech Republic in Rotterdam) Czechs need a win (which they'll probably get) - All in all, we're going to Germany :D

Solid

The game last night was awesome. Zamba zamba :D And Carlos freekick was absolutely crazy! Anyway the loss was not crucial for Brazil (well a lot of pride is at stake) but both will advance to the world cup. brazil just need one more win and they are there, and there's like 3 game left.

Greece on the other hand, they lost to Ukraine yesterday, 0-1. They are now 3rd in their group. It'd be a fucking shame if the European champions missed the world cup.

Maverick

Hey Hooker (or any other Holland fan)

Mind explaining to me why Holland didn't make it to WC2002? I know they didn't qualify but I didn't follow the qualifying campaign back then.

Falch

Maverick, here are the qualifing results for WC2002. As you can see, we placed third, behind Portugal and Republic Of Ireland.

Louis van Gaal was coach of The Netherlands ("Oranje") back then, but he was unable to pull it of. On a side note, he's the one that's going to coach AZ (3rd place in competition this year) now that Co Adriaanse has left for Porto.

We also almost didn't qualify for the European Championship in 2004. We had to play a play-off against Scotland. We lost the first game in Scotland with 0-1. Luckily, we destroyed the Scots in the return match, crushing them with 6-0.

This qualifing is going much better, luckily. :D

Maverick

Haha, yeah I remember that playoff game against Scotland.

And damn, that was a tough group you had. I'm a fan or Ireland (Irish myself) and we have a really tough group for the WC qualifiers. I can't even remember why, but I pretty much missed all of the qualifying action for WC2002.

Ahhhh the Euro 04 memories are coming back thinking about that Scotland/Holland game. I was in France at the time, so I got to catch every single match. I don't care what anyone thinks of Greece winning it, I thought the Euros were fantastic.

Rooney and Ronaldo's performances alone were worth it for me.

CelticFC#1

Free Scotland in 2008
The FA have a fucking cheek.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BBC

The Premier League wants Manchester City to take Liverpool's vacant slot in the Uefa Cup after they were handed a place in the Champions League.
League chiefs reacted angrily after Uefa revealed City would not be able to step in as a replacement for Liverpool.

They believe an English Uefa Cup place has now been taken away.

A spokesman said: "We will be asking the FA to formally re-nominate Bolton, Middlesbrough and Manchester City in the three Uefa Cup places allocated."

The League is also unhappy that Uefa has insisted that Liverpool must share in the cash pot awarded to England's four other Champions League entrants - Chelsea, Arsenal, Manchester United and Everton.

The spokesman added: "We are very pleased for Liverpool and in many ways Uefa has taken a brave and correct decision.

"However we do not feel this should have been at the expense of the English game's third Uefa Cup place, nor the Champions League pool as distributed between the four qualified clubs."

Football Association chief executive Brian Barwick admitted he felt there was little hope of Uefa backing down over City's Uefa Cup place.

"We have lobbied for Manchester City during the process while we've been lobbying for Liverpool," he told BBC Radio Five Live.

"But Uefa have capped the number of teams at seven, going to the two European competitions - other than through the Intertoto or the fair-play and, therefore, it's unlikely that the door will be opened."

I guess DCharlie is too big now that he played with Ardiles to tell us his story.

This is for you...

face-kick.gif

:p

Socreges

Banned
U-18 Championships: Canada vs Syria on Sportsnet in a half-hour!

I probably wouldn't care if this wasn't the only game to air in weeks that I was able to watch, but it'll still be fun. And I find it easier to learn different techniques and such when the skill level isn't much different from mine.

CelticFC#1

Free Scotland in 2008
Jesus Christ, fucking footballers these days.

Sky Sports

van_persie_look.jpg

Arsenal striker Robin van Persie has been arrested on rape allegations.

The 21-year-old, who joined The Gunners from Feyenoord last summer, was detained in Rotterdam on Monday night.

Prosecutors' spokesman Jeichin de Graaf confirmed van Persie's arrest and that he is a suspect in the claim.

"He was arrested last night and is considered a suspect following an allegation of rape," prosecutors' de Graaf told AFP.

The Holland international had finished the season in style with Arsenal after helping the North London side win the FA Cup and secure second in The Premiership.

Sky Sports

finnan.jpg

Liverpool full back Steve Finnan has been arrested on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving.

The defender was involved in a collision in his black Range Rover which resulted in the death of a pensioner.

The accident took place in the Tuebrook area of the city on January 27 and Harry Nelson, 81, died five weeks later in hospital having suffered serious head injuries in the collision.

A spokeswoman for Merseyside Police said: "A 29-year-old man from Liverpool was arrested on April 11 on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving.

"He was bailed pending further inquiries to appear at a police station on Wednesday June 29."

An inquest into Mr Nelson's death has been opened and adjourned until July 4.

BBC

_40607332_george_best_pa_203x300.jpg

Football legend George Best has been arrested and bailed on suspicion of indecently assaulting a young girl.
The former Manchester United and Northern Ireland star, 59, is alleged to have attacked the girl, who is aged under 13, last month in Surrey.

A spokeswoman for Surrey Police said: "We have received an allegation of indecent assault against a 59-year-old man who was arrested on 9 June."

Mr Best was also held on that date over an allegation he assaulted a woman.

The spokeswoman added the force was not prepared to discuss any further details of the investigation.

Mr Best was arrested on suspicion of assault occasioning actual bodily harm against a 34-year-old woman.

The attack is alleged to have happened in Ewell, Surrey.

It has now emerged he was also questioned about the indecent assault claim, which he is said to be totally denying.

Speaking on 9 June, Mr Best's agent Phil Hughes said he "categorically" denied attacking the woman.

Mr Hughes was not available to respond to the latest allegation.

Mr Best was questioned for nine hours at Staines police station before being freed on police bail.

He is due to return to a police station in Surrey for further questioning on 6 July.

Times Online

Suker9.jpg

Davor Suker, the former Arsenal and West Ham forward, was questioned yesterday by police investigating the killing of a popular football agent who was murdered outside his home in Zagreb, Croatia, over the weekend.

Suker, who co-managed several players with Dino Pokrovac, was questioned for more than three hours, giving details about his business relations with the slain man, a police report said. The retired player, who won the golden boot awarded to the tournament's top goalscorer at the 1998 World Cup in France, refused to comment to the media after the talks.

Police released a sketch of the suspect and were checking leads suggesting that Pokrovac had also worked as a loan-shark to Zagreb's underworld.

Players contracted to Pokrovac and Suker include the country's top young talent, Niko Kranjcar.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Again, Jesus Christ.

That amounts to a pretty good side. Run them out there against Real and see how they do.

I hate to say it but if it's true about van Persie I am not suprised. In his time at Arsenal he has always acted as though the world owes him something.

Solid

6/15/2005
ZURICH - FIFA have announced their latest World Ranking for senior national teams:

1. Brazil 829 points
2. Czech Republic 790
3. Argentina 785
4. Netherlands 783
5. France 765
6. Mexico 759
7. England 757
8. Portugal 755
9. Spain 747
10. United States 744

didn't know usa was that good :lol :)

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
I watched Sky Sports News for the first time since the Premeirship season ended and what are they talking about but more Mourinho drama queen bullshit. Does it ever quit with that guy?

Edit: the FIFA rankings are ridiculous, but they are important for World Cup seeding and group lottery selection so you have to pay attention to them.

Guileless said:
I watched Sky Sports News for the first time since the Premeirship season ended and what are they talking about but more Mourinho drama queen bullshit. Does it ever quit with that guy?.

He is part of the new Chelsea. Backed by Abramovich's ill-gotten blood oil millions, they act as they wish in signing players, personnel, anything business-related. Censure and fines do them no good as Roman wipes his ass with a million quid a day. See: Peter Kenyon, Arjen Robben, Ashley Cole, Arnesen from Spurs, the row over the Nigerian player (can't remember his name atm), the ridiculous sums on players oft times just to prevent them moving to rival teams. Even Mourinho's move to Chelsea was sealed before the CL was over with Porto which isn't illegal but is rather unethical.

Solid

Brazil-Greece tonight! The World Champions against the European Champions. Haha, I hope Greece wins! Forza underdogs!

DCharlie said:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4072964.stm

well, i thought long and hard about this statement, but i'm sure i've got it right...

*cough* *puts specs on*
Harry Kewell is a total fucking c""" r"".

thus ends my broadcast.

You know you are in trouble when your own fucking fans hate you.

*made less offensive*

Poor Gary, I hope he wins this case. Awesome player in his day, a true footballing role model...

I can't believe he was never booked in his career.
hail7ev.gif

gary0sb.jpg

CelticFC#1

Free Scotland in 2008
1-0 to Brazil at half time. Adriano the scorer with a 40 yard thunderbolt at an angle with absolute zero backlift. This guy is unreal.

Solid

CelticFC#1 said:
1-0 to Brazil at half time. Adriano the scorer with a 40 yard thunderbolt at an angle with absolute zero backlift. This guy is unreal.
indeed. he's two goals for inter last week against Roma has raised him even more. he has a good chance of getting the gold shoe next year :)

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
That was indeed an amazing goal, but surely that was no more than 30 yards.

The pace on that ball though...wonderful strike.

CelticFC#1

Free Scotland in 2008
Mama Smurf said:
That was indeed an amazing goal, but surely that was no more than 30 yards.

The pace on that ball though...wonderful strike.

Hyperbole! :D

Juninho also proved why he's the best dead ball expert in world football. No shittin' there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom