• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Football (Soccer) Thread - Season 04/05

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hooker

Should be mildly entertaining.

That U-20 WC is awesome btw. Didn't think I'd watch THIS much TV on my vacation :)

(post # 2000 :D)

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Freddy Adu is on the preliminary national team roster for the Gold Cup. He hasn't trained with the senior nats to this point.

Guileless

Germany-Argentina Confederations Cup match is live on Fox Soccer Channel at 1:30 CDT (30 minutes) in the US, replay at 10 CDT.

Dear all, presenting my fantasy England, team for no particular reason and completely uninvited: (ahem)

__________Rooney___Crouch

J. Cole___Lampard____Gerrard___Wright-Phillips

A. Cole__Campbell____Ferdinand___Beckham

_______________?Oprah

Just gotta do these things while you think of 'em. The whole thing is geared around an insult to Beckham, as the sooner he sees himself as Gary Nevilles overstudy, the better imo. Crouch is in there as a joke; I'd sub Owen on after two minutes. Oprah I'm serious about. I'm already hopping in anticipation for Germany next year ...

monkeymagic there are probably contenders, but Kewell's got to be up there ...

Guileless

Riquelme is a beast. The crowd seemed really sedate. I know it's only the Confederations Cup, but come on you're playing Argentina and you're hosting the World Cup finals in less than a year! Wake up Fritz.

Riquelme was not terribly good for Barca in his first year. He took too much time on the ball, didn't distribute well and was easily muscled off it.

He is still a legend at Boca though.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Woohoo, manyoo have sinally signed Park Ji-sung

Here is a link to the story.

Ive only seen a bit of this guy but its enough to make me want to have him at my club. Its a veryy good sighning which Im sure will help manyoo regain the Premiership Title of those London bastards, who also made the purchase of Del Horno. read more here

Hooker

Park will probably fail, for reason already mentioned in my other post. He's a great kid, with inmense potential. But needs a LOT of guidance. I don't think he'll receive the correct guidance at Old Trafford

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Hooker said:
Park will probably fail, for reason already mentioned in my other post. He's a great kid, with inmense potential. But needs a LOT of guidance. I don't think he'll receive the correct guidance at Old Trafford
Sir Alex is probably one of the best man to man managers and he will help Park succeed. Everyone always refers to failures such as kleberson (he is a world cup winner you know...) ,Djemba Djemba and even Miller, but Park will be different. He has much more determination to succeed and he will be given much more chance to play football than the above. Everyone knows who park isd, but hardly anyone have heard of the above before they came to United and non of them had European experience. Park made it to the semi finals and it was one that they should have won. The greatest thing about Park is his determination to win. he is a box to box player and will make others like rio ferdinand feel bad because he will work so much harder. Not only that, but Manchester United are in a very difficult situation. Sir Alex knows that if he doesnt win back the premiership title or any other trophy, Manyoo could be heading for trouble. This time, its different. He doesnt have millions to spend, he had been given a tight budget and he wont blow it.

CelticFC#1

Free Scotland in 2008
First qualifying round draw

Game 1 LIVERPOOL v TNS
Game 2 FC Haka v Pyunik
Game 3 HB Torshavn v FBK Kaunas
Game 4 FC Levadia Tallinn v Dinamo Tbilisi
Game 5 NK Gorica v KF Tirana
Game 6 FC Kairat Almaty v FC Artmedia Bratislava
Game 7 PFC Neftchi v FH Hafnarfjordur
Game 8 Rabotnicki v Skonto FC
Game 9 GLENTORAN v SHELBOURNE
Game 10 Dinamo Minsk v Anorthosis Famagusta
Game 11Sliema Wanderers v FC Sheriff
Game 12 F91 Dudelange v NK Zrinjski

(Ties to be played over two legs 12/13 July and 19/20 July)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Second qualifying round draw

FC Kairat Almaty or FC Artmedia Bratislava v CELTIC
HB Torshavn or FBK Kaunas v LIVERPOOL or TNS
GLENTORAN or SHELBOURNE v Steaua Bucharest
Levadia Tallinn or Dinamo Tbilisi v Brondby
Partizan Belgrade v Sliema Wanderers or Sheriff Tiraspol
Debrecen v Hajduk Split
NK Gorica or SK Tirana v CSKA Sofia
Anderlecht v FH Neftchi or Hafanarjordur
Valerenga v FC Haka or FC Pyunik
Rabotnicki or Skonto Riga v Lokomotiv Moscow
F91 Dudelange or Zrinjski Mostar v Rapid Vienna
Dynamo Kiev v FC Thun
Malmo v Maccabi Haifa
Dinamo Minsk or Anorthosis Famagusta v Trabzonspor

(Ties to be played over two legs 26/27 July and 2/3 August)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The draw for the third and final qualifying round takes place on 29 July.

A total of 74 clubs will take part in the Champions League, the three qualifying rounds involve 58 clubs.

From the qualifying rounds 16 teams will go through to the group stage, to join a further 16 clubs who have qualified automatically.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fuck going to Kazakhstan. :D

Solid

CelticFC#1 said:
Malmo FF v Maccabi Haifa
Go Malmö!

I still can't forget when AIK Solna played in the Champions League back in '99. We played against Fiorentina (Batistuta! Rui Costa!), Barcelona and Arsenal. I will never forget, so awesome. Eventhough we got our ass kicked the joy of having a swedish team in the tournament was good enough.

FC Barcelona 6 4 2 0 19-9 14
AC Fiorentina 6 2 3 1 9-7 9
Arsenal FC 6 2 2 2 9-9 8
AIK 6 0 1 5 4-16 1

Maverick

So what is the deal with these young guys like Jouquin (sp?), Fernando Torres, and Eiseen? I know Chelsea are still chasing Eissen but I haven't heard anything about the other two. Surely they wouldn't stay at their current clubs...

CelticFC#1

Free Scotland in 2008
Maverick said:
So what is the deal with these young guys like Jouquin (sp?), Fernando Torres, and Eiseen? I know Chelsea are still chasing Eissen but I haven't heard anything about the other two. Surely they wouldn't stay at their current clubs...

Joaquin has been linked with Real Madrid, Barca, Chelsea, Liverpool, Man Utd and even Lyon, Betis are in the Champions League next season and they won the Copa Del Ray (Spanish National Trophy),where Joaquin looked ecstatic in the celebrations, but whether or not these good times will be enough to keep him there I don't know. He'll end up at Chelsea, Real or Barca I feel.

Torres has again been linked with Chelsea today, but I'll think he'll stay at Madrid for at least another season as the new Atletico boss Carlos Bianchi wants to keep him desperately. Atletico also want to buy Kezman, so maybe Chelsea could sneak in with a 'first option' on Torres as part of that deal.

Essien seems a straight fight between Real Madrid and Chelsea. Lyon don't need to sell,want to keep him for at least another season and they'll only accept mega money. They've rejected a 25 million Euro bid from Real and a £16.75 million bid from Chelsea. He'll end up at Chelsea though, they want him bad and they've got the cash.

Solid

i usually watch chelsea tv and i can't help but laugh at every suggestion the callers are making about what forward chelsea should get. maakay, owen, torres, adriano, trezeguet, shevchenko, ibrahimovic, robinho etc.. i don't think any of those will be the final transfer. i get the feeling mourinho want young, no star, like players. del horno is a really good leftback with lots of international experience from the spain team but he's no where near a super player.

essien seems a like a good player though. i dont like that chelsea spends so much money on every player, eventhough they have the cash. it just doesn't look good. and if they fail to perform they'll be stuck with them forever (see veron).

CelticFC#1

Free Scotland in 2008
I know what you're saying, someone like Gilardino, who seems certain to become an AC Milan player.

The thing is with Chelsea, I think they need to buy one 'super striker' (Shevchenko,Henry,Adriano,Eto'o) as they need that guarantee that there's going to be someone that will score in the high pressure scenarios. Drogba is Chelsea's main striker yet for the richest club in the world he wouldn't get into a striker Top 10. He gets a lot of criticism unfairly sometimes, for example, Chelsea fans seem to forget that he almost single handedly destroyed Bayern Munich, but he ain't a Shevchenko or Eto'o who will guarantee you 25-30 goals a season, and that's what I think cost them in the CL last season against Liverpool failing to break them down over 180 minutes. No one was there when they needed that vital goal, someone who can create something out of nothing.

Though I think some Chelsea fans have a cheek, for instance.

Sky News Reporter: Who would you like to see at The Bridge next season? Shevchenko?

Chelsea Fan: Shevchenko? Nah, he's too old.

:lol

He's only the best striker in the world, but hell, he's too old for us. Reportedly, in the British Press, they've said AC had just rejected a £57 million bid for Shevchenko. CRAZY MONEY!

Edit - Gilardino may not be going to AC after all.

Silvio Berlusconi has confirmed that Milan will not continue to pursue a deal for Parma striker Alberto Gilardino.

The Milan supremo has confirmed that Parma are asking too high a fee for their prolific marksman and that, in any case, they are now reluctant to sell.

Gilardino, who has also been watched by Chelsea, had been expected to complete a move to Milan but the deal now appears to have reached an impasse.

Berlusconi has revealed that with Parma for sale - a Swiss group are expected to purchase the Gialloblu in the next few days - the future of Gilardino is far from certain.

Italy's Prime Minister believes Gilardino is now to stay at the Stadio Ennio Tardini, with the club's likely new owners reluctant to sell.

''He will remain at Parma and it isn't only because he is too expensive,'' said Berlusconi.

''But also because he is no longer on the market.

''They (Parma) are negotiating the club's sale and so I think that they who buy Parma wouldn't like to let Gilardino leave.''

Whilst a move for Gilardino appears for the moment to be beyond Chelsea and Milan not interested in Jose Mourinho's admiration for Andrei Shevchenko, fresh speculation has linked the English champions with David Trezeguet.

The Juventus hit-man has never expressed an inclination to quit the Turin giants but this has not stopped several sources linking the Frenchman with a move to Stamford Bridge.

Solid

you are so right.

i hate drogba.. :p he was awesome as you said against bayern münchen. i've never seen him play so well as he did when they played the at the bridge. he won almost every air duel against lucio and kovac and was always a threat for bayern. but he's just clumsy and lazy. remember that he had like three good chances against liverpool in the first game. he even came free against barcelona and didn't even hit the net. embarrising. but i think he will be better next year. at the beginning of the season he played very good but got injured and after that he was never as good (except the munich games). i also think that if robben is healthy and plays drogba will be better. plus mourinho seem to have big faith in the guy, so maybe i should give him a rest for now.

milan is awfully cheap. they can easily afford gilardino, but i guess they have principles for transfers (unlike chelsea :lol but who's complaining, roman pays the bill :p). i would really like crespo to come back, eventhough he doesn't like london.

Maverick

I too think Drogba will have a better year this year. He needed a year to get adjusted to life in London. He has the talent. I too was frustrated by his play this year but I didn't want him going back to France so soon.

Kola

brazil should be so happy at half time now. honestly, they had no real chances, but scored 2 goals. one being a lucky freekick, the other being a penalty. if germany continues like that they will have no chance during the second half, if if if...

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
germany is playing much better than i thought, particularly their ability at weaving great attacking waves.

Solid

todays game was sleepy. glad argentina won though. this will be an excellent final.

and btw, robinho does not have what it takes to be succesfull in the premiership. the boy is like a 15 year old (body wise), he would be slaughtered.

Kola said:
Aliaksandr Hleb from Stuttgart to Arsenal, probably 15 million Euro. Nice transfer.

Yes we are all happy with this deal. As with the Reyes one, this is highly incentive-laden, meaning they are not paying nearly that up front.

Guti has said he would like to leave Real for Arsenal. I don't know what the transfer kitty is for this summer, but it's been a lot more than we thought and so maybe something may happen. I'd rather Wenger go after a keeper though, but we could use some wide players.

I doubt the Robinho thing will happen, but it's nice to speculate.

Hooker: Can you explain to me in general terms how the Dutch legal system works regarding holding suspects and what that means? The whole van Persie thing is confusing, other than the fact that it seems like there's a lot of evidence against him.

Hooker

I can't really, know nothing about it (by choice)

Plus, I'm still on vacation, so I haven't heard anything about it. Apart from the fact he'll be detained up to 14 days or something, because the girl filed for a law-suit or something

Solid

wtf three new (or returning from loan) players for juventus.

miccoli (fiorentina)
chiellini (fiorentina)
maresca (fiorentina)

poor fiorentina.. now juventus got 6 strikers.. i wonder if this means trezeguet will be sold to chelsea. that'd be kinda good :) he's injured too much though (at least he was last season).

CelticFC#1

Free Scotland in 2008
Woot!

http://www.wisla.krakow.pl/pages/news.php?id=1317

Żuraw wybrał Celtic
[28.06.2005]

Dziś wieczorem Maciej Żurawski przedstawił władzom Sportowej Spółki Akcyjnej Wisła Kraków decyzję o chęci odejścia do Celticu Glasgow. Już jutro wznowione zostaną negocjacje transferowe ze szkockim klubem.

"Żuraw" po zakończeniu rundy wiosennej był w Glasgow gdzie negocjował warunki indywidualnego kontraktu z wicemistrzem Szkocji, teraz do porozumienia muszą dojść jeszcze oba kluby.

Biuro Prasowe Wisły Kraków

123_zurawski2.jpg

Any Polish speakers? A direct translation would be greatly appreciated. :)

The main issue of the story is that Maciej "Magic" Zurawski has decided to move to Celtic, and to add to this, Celtic look to be in strong contention to sign Bellamy, this makes me a very happy bunny.

Magic / Hartson/Sutton/Bellamy/Aliadiere front line. Oh yeah........... :D

All we need now is a Dellas and Niemi announcement, make it happen Celtic. :D

My understanding is that Aliadiere has chosen to go to Celtic on loan, which if true I think it will be a good move for you. He's not the finished article by any means, but he is pacey and energetic and with regular time I think can be a good forward. He certainly wasn't going to get the time at Arsenal, but many of our players who can't crack the rotation do well elsewhere, such as Pennant (scumbag though), Bentley and Stack.

lachesis

Kola said:
Aliaksandr Hleb from Stuttgart to Arsenal, probably 15 million Euro. Nice transfer.

Good going. Excellent player.

I'm just little worried that Sttutgart would be now pretty much empty with their key players gone (Kuranyi, and now Hleb too..)..

Kola

lachesis said:
Good going. Excellent player.

I'm just little worried that Sttutgart would be now pretty much empty with their key players gone (Kuranyi, and now Hleb too..)..

At least their debts aren't nearly as high as they used to be after that former president (Meyer-Vorfelder) left. And imo Kuranyi was never a good player from the start, too much hype involved.

But yeah, with Bordon, Kuranyi and now Hleb leaving, Stuttgart needs only one thing: A team...

Falch

Damn, Argentina took quite a beating. And rightfully so, they play like a bunch of butchers (Saviola, Coloccini, Riquelme).

Anyway, PSV is quite busy on the transfer market, as they should be now that they've not only lost Van Bommel and Vogel, but Park also. So far they have bought midfielder Vayrinnen (Finnish, coming from Dutch club Heerenveen). Luckily, they've gotten two additional midfielders:

PSV land Moscow man

Player profiles:
Osmar Ferreyra
Team Pages:
PSV Eindhoven
CSKA Moscow

Argentinian midfielder Osmar Ferreyra has completed his loan move to PSV Eindhoven. The Dutch champions have swooped for the CSKA Moscow man on a season-long loan with an option for another season. Ferreyra penned the deal at the Philips Stadion after passing a medical to sign for Guus Hiddink's side. With Mark van Bommel leaving PSV to join Barcelona, Hiddink is in need of midfield reinforcements and the South American has bolstered his ranks. The 22-year-old was also wanted by Italian outfit Udinese, but he has opted to join the UEFA Champions League semi-finalists. Ferreyra spent just a year in the Russian capital after failing to settle following his move from River Plate.

AND

PSV pick up Simons

Player profiles:
Timmy Simons
Team Pages:
PSV Eindhoven
Club Brugge

PSV Eindhoven have completed the signing of Belgian midfielder Timmy Simons.

The Dutch giants had been haggling over a fee with Club Brugge and finally both parties have come up with a suitable arrangement.

Simons has signed a four-year deal at the Dutch champions after Feyenoord dropped out of the race for his signature because of his fee.

Brugge have been resigned to seeing Simons leave with the player looking to move to a top European club.

The 28-year-old will help fill the void left by Mark van Bommel's departure to Barcelona.

And to top it off, PSV is trying to get Salomon Kalou to come over from Feyenoord:

PSV make Kalou move

PSV Eindhoven have opened talks with Feyenoord over Salomon Kalou.

Valencia and Arsenal had shown an interest in the Ivory Coast-born star, but PSV are now keen to keep him in De Eredivisie.

PSV have offered Dutch international Theo Lucius as part of the seal in the hope that Feyenoord will allow Kalou to move to Eindhoven.

Kalou, unlike his brother Bonaventure, does not want to play for the country of his birth and wants to stay in Holland until he gets a Dutch passport.

The 20-year-old still hopes his Dutch papers may come through in time for him to play at the World Cup finals next year.

I'm quite pleased with all 3 midfielders PSV has gotten so far. All we really need is a good striker, the one thing PSV missed last year after Kezman left. Hopefully Kalou will fill that void.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom