• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Football (Soccer) Thread - Season 04/05

Status
Not open for further replies.

CelticFC#1

Free Scotland in 2008
And Ronaldinho is the man. Is there any doubt that he is the best in the world right now? I prayed to God for Real to spend their money last summer on Ronaldinho and two quality defenders, but he didn't listen to me and they ended up buying pretty boy Becks. Ronnie is the king of all things beautiful in football. Even with his ugly mug, just by touching the ball, the world is a better place. I love Ronnie, keep up the good fight. You're a good man.

Had to laugh at that comment mate. Laporta comes out in the run up to become President of Barca and says that "I will sign Beckham and build a team around him". Beckham then signs for Real Madrid and Laporta looks like an idiot. Laporta then goes on to sign Ronaldinho and uncover the best player in the footballing world.

I love Laporta. :D

sp5.jpg

Me? Sign Beckham? You've got to be joking!

Shinobi

Hooker said:
Arsenal will fail miserably in all leagues, as usual ;).

:lol Three league titles in six years (including a perfect streak that they're still riding) is failing as usual? :lol Hell, I'll take that deal. Arsenal are weak as hell in Europe for reasons I still cannot fathom, but let's use a little common sense here.

The way sports fans and media react after one incident or a bit of bad luck as if it's going to change an entire team's fortunes is just looney. Same way I refused to write Man U off since half their team was injured early on in the season (plus it's Man U, winning is kind of in their blood), same way it was foolish of media idiots to yap about dissent in an Arsenal squad that hasn't lost a league match in 47 tilts (Lord knows how long it's been since their last away defeat), only to see them take Charlton apart 4-0 with some of their top players sitting out (I know you all feared Henry's back heel goal). People just love to get silly over one or two games, and it makes no sense. The season is a marathon, not a sprint.

But anyway, at least United fans have a reason to get chatty again...and Rooney did indeed look incredible. I might have to make an early morning trip to a bar for the Arsenal/United clash in a few weeks...it looks too good to pass up.

Hooker

Shinobi, remember last year, losing to United in the semis for the FA Cup. 2 years ago, giving the Premiership to United on the very last day (was it 2 or 3 years ago?)

And on the European field, well, let's just leave it at that :p

Also, United has never not won the Premiership 2 times in a row. There is no denying that Wenger has built a very solid Arsenal side, but they will fall, and fall hard.

Hooker, your blatant selective reasoning is why ManYoo supporters get no respect.

(to the Adams Family)
HIS FATHER IS A PLONKY
HIS MOTHER IS A DONKEY
ALL THE KIDS ARE CHUNKY
THE ROONEY FAMILY

Hooker

I'm not a big Man Utd. supporter, I just hate Arsenal :p (except for Bergkamp though)

AC Milan and Barça are my teams :)

I don't see how any football fan can dislike Arsenal. If you like the game of football then surely you can't help but love the way they play. Some of the stuff they come up with is frightening, not so much in Europe so far but I'm sure they'll gt it right sooner rather than later.

Real Madrid 0
Dep. La Coruna 1

Just finished, Owen started because Ronaldo was out injured. Why Owen started in front of Morientes I don't know but Owen was hauled off after 51 minutes. Missed one great chance and fluffed at another. I think this was the worst move he could have made for his career. There's no way that he can retain his English spot with Rooney and Defoe on form.

Anyway a pretty timid affair tonight. The only bright spot was the excellent breakaway goal that Depor scored. Great little clipped finish over the on-rushing Casillas by Pandiani, after a beautiful searching ball from Luque. Pandiani tore Salgado to shreds, and he's no slouch. Never knew he was that fast.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Buying Owen was such a snap, poorly thought out decision after losing out on Vieira. Frankly it was a big mistake for every party involved (Liverpool, Real, Owen...hell even England) and unless something amazing happens, I think he'll be on his way back to England next summer.

To be honest...he's not that good. It's not just that Real have 3 amazing strikers keeping him down the pecking order (though they do), he shouldn't be in a Real Madrid team in the first place. He was that good a few years ago, but he's lost whatever he had. I don't know whether his pace has gone a bit, or if defenders have just figured out how to stop him and he hasn't upped his game, but he's not the same player. If it is the pace thing, maybe he could do with losing some of that muscle. I've seen him with his shirt off, he's quite well built for a little guy, but his game doesn't rely on strength at all (well, not upper body anyway). It's not like the muscle's helping, I watched him trying to knock other players over in Euro 2004 only to bounce off them onto the ground himself (with growing embarrassment I might add), so if it's going to speed him up or stop him getting tired so early, lose the pounds.

He deserves to be in a good team, he's just not world class. Liverpool was just right for him, Newcastle would be another, that sort of team. And unless there are some drastic differences in training this week to what we've seen of the players so far this season, it's got to be a Rooney and Defoe forward line against Wales.

Speaking of that game, I think that, despite the lack of Gerrard and Scholes, this is a better squad than the one we took to Euro 2004 (or at least the team that will be picked from it are). I'm hoping for this line-up personally:

-----------------------------Robinson

G. Neville--------Campbell--------Ferdinand---------A. Cole

Wright-Phillips---Beckham--------Lampard----------Hargreaves

-------------------Rooney-----------Defoe

I don't think it will be that, but that's what I'd like to see. You could argue for Joe Cole on the left, but I want someone who can tackle in that midfield and can keep track of Bellamy, without giving away attacking options, so I go with Hargreaves. And I don't think there's a problem playing him on the left there (I'd like to put Gerrard in, but that's not an option), Ashley Cole is a great attacking left back, he can put the crosses in.

Shinobi

Hooker said:
Shinobi, remember last year, losing to United in the semis for the FA Cup. 2 years ago, giving the Premiership to United on the very last day (was it 2 or 3 years ago?)

And on the European field, well, let's just leave it at that :p

Also, United has never not won the Premiership 2 times in a row. There is no denying that Wenger has built a very solid Arsenal side, but they will fall, and fall hard.

Your team barely got a point at home against fucking Middlesborough. What more do I need to say?

And yeah, United won the FA Cup...since when did that become important to you guys? It sure didn't seem that way when Arsenal went to three or four finals in a row.

And you seem to forget that United gave Arsenal the title in 2002...we merely returned the favour. :lol

We'll see what happens in a few weeks...but I suggest you keep the shit talking to a minimum, in order to prevent embarassment.

Never did understand the Owen move to Madrid for either side...why go to a team loaded with quality strikers already? And why buy a striker when you're already loaded with them? Just didn't make any sense from the getgo.

Hooker

Group A:
Feyenoord (Holland)
Schalke '04 (Germany)
Basel (Switserland)
Hearts (Scotland)
Ferencvaros (Hungary)

Group B:
Parma (Italy)
Besiktas (Turkey)
Althetico Bilbao (Spain)
Steaua Boekarest (Romania)
Standard Luik (Belgium)

Group C:
Club Brugge (Belgium)
Real Zaragoza (Spain)
FC Utrecht (Holland)
Dnjepr (Ukraine)
Austria Wien (Austria)

Group D:
Newcastle United (England)
Sporting Lisbao (Portugal)
Sochaux (France)
FC Panionios (Greece)
Dinamo Tbilisi (Georgie)

Group E:
Lazio Roma (Italy)
Villareal (Spain)
Middlesbrough (England)
Partizan Belgrado (Servia)
Egalo (Greece)

Group F:
Glassgow Rangers (Scotland)
Auxerre (France)
Grazer AK (Austria)
Amica Wrinki (Poland)
AZ (Holland)

Group G:
VfB Stuttgart (Germany)
Benfica (Portugal)
Dinamo Zagred (Croatia)
SC Heerenveen (Holland)
SK Beveren (Belgium)

Group H:
AEK Athene (Greece)
Lille (France)
Sevilla (Spain)
Alemannia Aachen (Germany)
Zenit St. Petersburg (Russia)

Hooker

I knew I made a mistake, but after typing all of that (which took quite a bit longer than I'd imagined) I couldn't be bothered anymore to check for errors :p

brooklyngooner said:
Yes, ManYoo drew 1-1 all with Borough to fall nine points off the pace.
News!! That isn't new.. It's old news.

Plus, Milan and Barça are my teams :)

Solid

Chelsea has made another offer for Fernando Torres (Atl. Madrid)... ~30 million Euros + Mutu for Torres is Chelsea's offer. If this is truth or not I do not know.

Hooker

What the hell, why would they need Torres?! They still have Drogba, Kezman, Gudjohnsson and probably some more guys we do not know off.

And will Atletico accept?! Torres is their captain, their starplayer, the one they depend on. 30 million is a great amount to buy a new player and Mutu is a good alternative (although a different kind of player and injured a lot)

Mama Smurf

The world player of the year shortlist is up:

Adriano (Brazil)
Roberto Ayala (Argentina)
Michael Ballack (Germany)
Milan Baros (Czech Rep)
David Beckham (England)
Gianluigi Buffon (Italy)
Cafu (Brazil)
Cristiano Ronaldo (Portugal)
Deco (Portugal)
Didier Drogba (Ivory Coast)
Samuel Eto'o (Cameroon)
Luis Figo (Portugal)
Steven Gerrard (England)
Ryan Giggs (Wales)
Thierry Henry (France)
Zlatan Ibrahimovic (Sweden)
Oliver Kahn (Germany)
Kaka (Brazil)
Frank Lampard (England)
Henrik Larsson (Sweden)
Roy Makaay (Holland)
Paolo Maldini (Italy)
Pavel Nedved (Czech Rep)
Alessandro Nesta (Italy)
Michael Owen (England)
Robert Pires (France)
Raul (Spain)
Roberto Carlos (Brazil)
Ronaldinho (Brazil)
Ronaldo (Brazil)
Wayne Rooney (England)
Andrej Shevchenko (Ukraine)
Ruud van Nistelrooy (Holland)
Theodoros Zagorakis (Greece)
Zinedine Zidane (France)

While I'd like to believe it's true (as it puts England behind only Brazil with the number of nominations), a lot of it's complete crap. Players have been put in who've had bad or average seasons (Raul, Owen, Giggs etc) and others have been left out who've been superb (Sol Campbell, Vieira etc). And there are a hell of a lot more players who deserve to be on than the few I've just mentioned.

I think Ronaldhino will win it. He's as good as anyone else listed, though I wouldn't necessarily say he was any better than some of them, there's a top tier it's hard to differentiate. However, his performances lately have been outstanding, and he is one of the main reasons (though not the only one) for Barcelona's revival.

Kaka will probably be in the top 3 too...I dunno about the final one. Someone from Real Madrid no doubt, it doesn't seem you can have these awards without that happening, whether they deserve it or not.

Hooker

brooklyngooner said:
Oh, you're that kind of supporter.
What kind is that?!

Do you mean a glory hunter?! In that case... no!

I grew up with Marco "San Marco" van Basten, Ruud "Black Tullip" Gullit and Frank Rijkaard. The 3 Dutchman who had a great deal in Milan's golden years.

Johan "El Salvador" Cruijff is a Dutch legend. The best player to ever come out of Europe (Only Maradonna was better globally) and probably the most knowledgable man in football today. It's too bad the football junkies can't understand Dutch because when he speaks, worlds open.

He archieved many, MANY things at Barça. 1 of them winning their only CL with Ronald Koeman (same generation) scored the only goal for Barça.

Mama Smurf said:

While I'd like to believe it's true (as it puts England behind only Brazil with the number of nominations), a lot of it's complete crap. Players have been put in who've had bad or average seasons (Raul, Owen, Giggs etc) and others have been left out who've been superb (Sol Campbell, Vieira etc). And there are a hell of a lot more players who deserve to be on than the few I've just mentioned.

I think Ronaldhino will win it. He's as good as anyone else listed, though I wouldn't necessarily say he was any better than some of them, there's a top tier it's hard to differentiate. However, his performances lately have been outstanding, and he is one of the main reasons (though not the only one) for Barcelona's revival.

Kaka will probably be in the top 3 too...I dunno about the final one. Someone from Real Madrid no doubt, it doesn't seem you can have these awards without that happening, whether they deserve it or not.

well its done by the coaches, no surprise Beckham is there despite him being shit for a year or so. Nedved or Henry for me

Kola

Mama Smurf said:
Deco (Portugal)
Thierry Henry (France)
Kaka (Brazil)
Pavel Nedved (Czech Rep)
Ronaldinho (Brazil)

One of them. Ronaldinho has the best chances imo. I even like his person, especially when he at some time last year made jokes about his own ugliness.

Great King Bowser

Property of Kaz Harai
brooklyngooner said:

I dunno if I'm happy about the Emirates sponsorship thing, I mean more money is great, but the fact that the new stadium would no longer be 'Highbury' but 'Ashburton Grove' was quite sad as it was, Ashburton Grove site isn't even that far away from Highbury so was hoping they'd keep it known as Highbury for tradition.

But now it's Emirates Stadium? Damnit. Companies shouldn't be able to sponsor stadiums, sponsored stadiums are so Birmingham FC.

Mama Smurf

Normally I'd agree, but that's a fuck load of money, I don't see how they could turn it down.

Do Birmingham have a new stadium lined up or something? Or have I somehow missed the fact that St. Andrew's isn't just a name but a sponsor?

It's not so bad anyway. Bolton play at The Reebok, and I'm so used to that now that I don't even associate it with the brand when I hear it. At least it's not going to be called The Stadium of Light (so tacky).

Great King Bowser said:
I dunno if I'm happy about the Emirates sponsorship thing, I mean more money is great, but the fact that the new stadium would no longer be 'Highbury' but 'Ashburton Grove' was quite sad as it was, Ashburton Grove site isn't even that far away from Highbury so was hoping they'd keep it known as Highbury for tradition.

But now it's Emirates Stadium? Damnit. Companies shouldn't be able to sponsor stadiums, sponsored stadiums are so Birmingham FC.

My article quoting was for Arsene Wenger's re-upping, I don't like the naming either, although being in the US it's a lot more common so I suppose it doesn't jade me as much.

My dad has a ticket hookup there, so we can get seats ok, but I am glad more Arsenal supporters will be able to see games. I love the intimacy of Highbury, but I know so many rabid supporters who have been waiting for season tickets for ten years or more; for them, this is good.

But I'm not an advocate of the idea that we "need" this stadium. I don't really want us to want to compete financially with the best in Europe, I would hate to see the Arsenal "brand" become some Disneyish nonsense like ManYoo, attracting the gloryhunting know-nothing supporters that populate the Real and Juventus and United ranks. I'm happy to be better than United purely on sound planning and a brilliant manager, but really, a Wenger is a once-in-a-lifetime proposition, one who's both a shrewd tactician and an amazing talent evaluator/groomer. If it takes this stadium to keep Wenger, Henry and Vieira, then fine, because this will always be the team closest to my heart. And I loved Rocky Rocastle.

Shinobi

Great post...the most amazing thing about Arsenal's perfect season last year is that they barely bought anyone of any real significance during the previous off-season, while other clubs like Chelsea had spent out the ass for players.

And David Rocastle was my favourite player when I was living in England...just loved the way he played the game. I did a web search for him several years ago after recalling his name in my mind, and was shocked to find out he had died just a couple months prior due to cancer. Getting snuffed out at 33 just isn't fair.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Heh I've always found glory supporters quite funny.

Although I am only Australian and the football league down here literally sucks arse, I support Newcastle United since I was born in Newcastle (in Australia) and I do enjoy watching the Premier League quite a lot.. as most Australian football fans do I think.

I just wish the Australian football league down here was on the scale of other countries.. the sad thing about this is that it was on the road to that during the 60's-70's but it essentially imploded on itself in the 80's due to discrimination towards immigrants or some such silly nonsense.

alejob

Is their a website that streams your national teams football/soccer games?

I'd like to see the Canada/CR game next wednesday :)

Mama Smurf

_40160284_lampard_pa.jpg

WOOOOOOOO! That was fun. Sorry Wales, I know you've had some injuries and suspensions (not that England haven't), and you're a hell of a lot better than you were 5 years ago, but that was pretty dominant.

England were excellent all over the park. Funnily enough after all the debate over the strikers, Defoe was probably the weakest guy on the team, though he did a few good things even then. Owen played well, I was impressed. If only he could do that every game. And who knows, maybe he will now, we know he can as he did a few years ago.

As for the others, Campbell and Ferdinand are just immense (Ferdinand in particular, best central defensive partnership in the world?), Lampard's got to be one of the best midfielders in the world (6 goals in his last 9 games for England if it goes down as his...even if it doesn't that's absolutely remarkable at international level from a midfielder [hell, it'd be great for a striker]) and Rooney is apparently unstoppable.

You really have to hope Wayne Rooney has a bad game when playing against him, as I don't think you'll stop him otherwise. His touch, his striking ability, his pace, he's good in the air, his awareness of those around him, his dribbling skills and, most of all, his ability to find space...he honestly has it all. He has a few weaknesses (though they don't really affect his forward play): occasionaly he'll give the ball away needlessly when he's trying to pick out a teammate, his temper can get the better of him, and he makes the wrong choice when attacking (though that one's really rare). He's only 18 though, those are all things he will learn about and get better at as he gains more experience.

Beckham's goal was wonderful. He has this ability, which I rarely see on the field (I can't think of another player who does it in fact right now) to shoot from around the box as if he's taking a free kick. And he does it all the time. It's a deadly skill, as we saw today.

As for Wales, Paul Jones played really well and kept the score from looking too bad (which it could easily have been), and there were a few good saving tackles and blocks going in. There were a few half chances, but apart from those...not much going on. The decision to play Bellamy on the wing rather than up front bemuses me. I understand that they've used the formation before, perhaps to some success, I'm not sure, but what hope did Hartson have going up against Ferdinand and Campbell?

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Italy, SUCK IT DOWN!

Slovenia 1 - Italy 0

yes,yes,yesss! Victory at last! New team is just awesome.
Next victim : Norway :D

Solid

Lampard is so fucking awesome!

Oh, Sweden beat Hungary with 3-0 :D

Coming up: Iceland-Sweden on wednesday! Gudjohnsen vs Ibrahimovic :p

DrM said:
Italy, SUCK IT DOWN!

Slovenia 1 - Italy 0
lol, seriously? Who scored? Zahovic? :D

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Deepthroat said:
lol, seriously? Who scored? Zahovic? :D

he is not playing for 'new' national team. All so called 'superstars' were replaced with younger players (with other words - they were kicked out)

Solid

DrM said:
he is not playing for 'new' national team. All so called 'superstars' were replaced with younger players (with other words - they were kicked out)
Oh? That comes as a surprise. But hasn't Zahovic always been a diva?

Nice to see the new young team are doing good. I wish Slovenia all the best of luck.

cja

Good days footie with some surprising results!

FIFA World Cup European Qualifying Group One
FYR_Macedonia 2 - 2 Holland
Czech_Republic 1 - 0 Romania
Finland 3 - 1 Armenia

FIFA World Cup European Qualifying Group Two
Albania 0 - 2 Denmark
Turkey 4 - 0 Kazakhstan
Ukraine 1 - 1 Greece

FIFA World Cup European Qualifying Group Three
Liechtenstein 2 - 2 Portugal
Slovakia 4 - 1 Latvia
Luxembourg 0 - 4 Russia

FIFA World Cup European Qualifying Group Four
France 0 - 0 Rep_of_Ireland
Israel 2 - 2 Switzerland
Cyprus 2 - 2 Faroe_Islands

FIFA World Cup European Qualifying Group Five
Slovenia 1 - 0 Italy
Belarus 4 - 0 Moldova
Scotland 0 - 1 Norway

FIFA World Cup European Qualifying Group Six
Austria 1 - 3 Poland
Azerbaijan 0 - 0 Northern_Ireland
England 2 - 0 Wales

FIFA World Cup European Qualifying Group Seven
Spain 2 - 0 Belgium
Bosnia_Herzegovina 0 - 0 Serbia___Montenegro

FIFA World Cup European Qualifying Group Eight
Croatia 2 - 2 Bulgaria
Malta 0 - 0 Iceland
Sweden 3 - 0 Hungary

Hooker

I was at a birthday party so I couldn't watch the Holland game. The score dissappoints me a lot. Especially after my Roommate told me that the score was a fair outcome and fairly accurate outcome representative of the game :/

I told them fuckers to call Seedorf and Kluivert... but they didn't listen :( Finland in the ArenA in 4 days :)

Kon Tiki

Banned
Canada is out of the 2006 WC.

Honduras scored in the 5th min of extra time.. 5 min of Extra time WTF.

Every game in this round has some controversy. We got screwed in the 3 previous games.

We need a better football program in this country.

Mama Smurf

Society said:

It's already impossible to qualify? Or is this some sort of knock out stage, and not a table like the European system?

I'll be over there soon. I'll sort you out.

Kon Tiki

Banned
Mama Smurf said:
It's already impossible to qualify? Or is this some sort of knock out stage, and not a table like the European system?

I'm be over there soon. I'll sort you out.

We needed to win 3 in a row in order to place high enough to advance to the next round. If we win the last 2 games, we will not have enough points to move on.

BTW, we do not even have one dedicated football stadium in this country. Our national league is shit also. On the brightside our woman's football program is great.

alejob

Society said:

Honduras scored in the 5th min of extra time.. 5 min of Extra time WTF.

Every game in this round has some controversy. We got screwed in the 3 previous games.

Dam it Canada! We needed you to win. Although a tie is not bad considering it was in Honduras. Now we have to kick Guatemalan a$$!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom