• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Football (Soccer) Thread - Season 04/05

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solid

Society: You Canadians should just stick to hockey ;)

It would've been cool to see Canada in a big tournament though. I don't think I've a single game with Canada in my life o-O

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
I know it's late, but I just saw Ibrahimovic's goal from the Juventus - Brescia game. I kept thinking "OK, now he'll shoot...NOW he'll shoot...NOW he'll...WTF!?!?". :lol
Really amazing goal. :)

EDIT: No, I was wrong...I thought it was against Brescia...but it must've been another team. Ahh, now I know...it's when he played back in Ajax, August 22. Either way, fantastic performance. :)

Amazing game by Costa Rica on Saturday with three goals from Wanchope.

Now I hope Canada shows up with their under 17 team(you have no chance afterall) so we can get an easy win on wednesday. :D

Solid

Kiriku said:
I know it's late, but I just saw Ibrahimovic's goal from the Juventus - Brescia game. I kept thinking "OK, now he'll shoot...NOW he'll shoot...NOW he'll...WTF!?!?". :lol
Really amazing goal. :)
Better late than never :p

I'm glad I got his autograph! Awesome player.

Hooker

Holland got their expected win against Finland, 3-1.

They played pretty lousy, and have a loooooong way to go before they are able to wow people in Prague

3-1 Costa Rica in Vancouver. Suck it down, Society. You can put that icon of yours to rest now. :p

We shouldn't have suffered as much as we did, but our coach is a coward and he made too many defensive changes from the previous game and then he had to make a few substitutions for the 2nd half to go for the win. Oh well, at least we got the three points. Now we only need a tie on the last game to go through.

Solid

This pic is hilarious.

SPORT-15s67zlatteeeeeee_368.jpg

Robert de Niro anyone? :D

cja

Hope Ivan Campo is okay. Sick collision with Speed.

allsportcampopalacebloodyhead.jpg

May have a fractured cheekbone & eyesocket. Will probably need plastic surgery for the gashes.

ourumov

Barça continues being the first in La Liga. 7 matches without losing.

Last Saturday's match was boring though. When they felt they had the match won, they got too relaxed and the match became a boring show...
A pity.

Best man of the match=Deco.

CelticFC#1

Free Scotland in 2008
The match was a bit of a drag wasn't it?

Ronaldinho looked exhausted after the first 30 mins, Espanyol didn't play to their best and it looked like Barca had an eye on Milan in midweek.

No matter, ther're 5 points clear now and look to be sprinting away from Valencia and Real Madrid. Which is a good thing. :)

Hooker

Makaay wins :D

Zlatan has a LONG way to go to reach Makaay levels. Zlatan needs 3 chances before he scores, Makaay 1/3rd of a chance :) (yes, way different kind of players though, almost impossible to compare)

Solid

Looks like Ibrahimovic won the fight against Makaay. One assist as Juve beat Bayern with 1-0. Couldn't be happier. Me no like german soccer :p

Solid

Tonights results.

Liverpool 0-0 Deportivo La Coruna

Monaco 2-1 Olympiakos
1-0 Saviola (3)
2-0 Chevanton (10)
2-1 Okkas (60)

Bayer Leverkusen 3-1 Roma
0-1 Berbatov (26 own goal)
1-1 Roque Junior (48)
2-1 Krzynowek (59)
3-1 Franca (90)

Real Madrid 1-0 Dynamo Kiev
1-0 Owen (35)

Ajax 3-0 Maccabi Tel-Aviv
1-0 Sonck (4)
2-0 De Jong (21)
3-0 Van der Vaart (33)

Juventus 1-0 Bayern München
1-0 Nedved (75)

Fenerbahçe 1-3 Lyon
0-1 Juninho (55)
0-2 Cris (66)
1-2 Marcio Nobre (68)
1-3 Frau (87)

Sparta 0-0 Manchester United

ourumov

Ok, this night NOBODY can miss this match. Probably the best match till December
Milan-Barça !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kaká, Cafú, Schevchenko, Rui Costa, Nesta vs Larsson, Eto'o, Xavi, Deco, Puyol, Ronaldinho

I can't wait to see this match.

Força Barça !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kola

Deepthroat said:
Looks like Ibrahimovic won the fight against Makaay. One assist as Juve beat Bayern with 1-0. Couldn't be happier. Me no like german soccer :p

Well, I do sympathize with Juve. I love their current team, their individual players (Nedved IS the best player in Europe), their trikots, their general history etc pp

But the football that is played in Italy is the lamest of all. Catenaccio at it's best. Defence above all. Juve has 9 points, won all three games, each one with 1:0. And they've got a team which could do much better. I'd rather watch Luxembourg vs Liechtenstein. Bayern at least TRIED to score a goal.

You remeber the last CL final? Two Italian teams. 0:0....

Hooker

That was 2 years ago, last year was Porto against Monaco. Perfect example why Catenaccio usually wins against nice attacking play :/

Hooker

Nothing on the Barça, Milan, UEFA or Dutch footie site regarding injuries. So I don't think so. Would be good for me but not so good the the game

ourumov

Ronaldinho is very tired since he has jet-lag from the last selection match. Eto'o...well Eto'o is not tired just that he lost 4 kg after a "intestinal disease"...add to this he had a spectacular car accident...

However, both will play.

ourumov

Milan 1 - Barça 0

Although we are loosing, I have to admit that the match is awesome. I hope we can score one at least at the second part...

Hooker

I just saw the highlights of the game, and goddamn Ronaldinho is playing awesome. Some of his actions are just onfootball like. Kaká also had some nice actions, but no where near the level nor quantity of Ronaldinho.

I did like the part where Seedorf made Deco look stupid :D

Great, great game in Milan.

Barca deserved much better luck though, but we all know how tough italian teams like Milan are when they get ahead by a goal at home. Too bad for them that the only goal came from Valdes lack of decision on Cafu's cross.

I did confirmed two things today.

The first one, that Ronaldinho is the greatest player in the world. No ifs or buts. The man is a genius. And the way he creates and invents in a matter of miliseconds with two or three guys surrouding him can be compared to Pele's and Maradona's ability and intelligence IMO. Which extremely few have possesed throughout the history of the sport.

And the second one, that Deco is one of the most overrated players in the world. As simple as that. No explanation needed.

Oh yeah, Belleti couldn't get one decent cross during the whole match and he had a ton of great chances. That hurted Barca IMO.

But with the level they're showing right now, they should have no problem beating them in Camp Nou in a couple of weeks.

ourumov

I am pleased you liked Ronaldinho but trust me when I say that he is nowhere as good as he was last season. He was in much better shape !
This man @ 100% is incredible.

About Deco:

Deco ALWAYS seems to be not in the match...to be out of it and to play bad. It's at the end of the match when you see his statistics that realize how good he had played.
Anyways this is not yesterday's case.
I would have liked to see Giuly but he is injured for now.

Anyways I was surprised at Milan. I heard a lot about Kakà and wanted to see it with my own eyes (and not WE8 eyes). Awesome player: fast, with technique...he even does Armani adds (Spain is full of them !).

Hooker

Like with Ronaldinho, Kaká hasn't shown the form he showed when he just arrived at the Rossoneri. What I like about Kaká is that he doesn't do things over the top and just for the sake of showing off. He does them with a purpose. He will always take the easiest route where Ronaldinho may take the more difficult one more often.

You could see this in the CL last season, I don't remember which game. But Kaká received the ball at the edge of the box and only had to shoot in. Instead of blasting it full force, he controlled the ball and shot it in the corner, just fast enough so the keeper can't reach it. Being able to calculate such things and hit it with that much finesse makes him really enjoyable to watch.

And I've seen Ronaldinho in the highlights (we can't get Italian and Spanish games here, only English and German. Fucking morons, something with the prices probably) from last year. Barça has a special feeling for people here in Holland, mostly to due with the El Salvador :) (Only Maradonna was of a higher quality IMO). So they show them a bit more than say, Real. Bit of a bummer, as Barça's games are a showcase of what football should look like. Every match is just a show of skill and you can see the players having fun while doing it.

I don't get why they got rid of Davids and Kluivert though. Davids for obvious reasons, Kluivert, because when Kluivert's happy, he's the best you can have, especially when playing 4-3-3.

ourumov

The problem with Davids is that he began speculating about staying here or leaving. He wanted Barça to raise the contract and Barça didn't want to play that game so...bye bye...

The Kluivert affair is totally different. Sure Kluivert is a great player but he and the public were no longer friends.
Kluivert has a lot of bad rumors following him and this didn't help. Besides, last year he was not in very good shape.
I was one of his defensors but well...Larsson has made me forgot him.

Hooker

Yeah, he though he deserved some more money, especially after seeing Ronaldinho getting that huge raise in spite of Barça's tight salary rules. I hope we won't get to see the same thing that happened at Real after they sold Makalele. But seeing the results I don't think it will be that drastic.

Kluivert was injured for the better part of last year and never got back into his usual form. The form he is getting back at Newcastle at the moment. I think it's a shame though, I'm so used to seeing him at with the azulgrana shirt on :/

ourumov said:
I am pleased you liked Ronaldinho but trust me when I say that he is nowhere as good as he was last season. He was in much better shape !
This man @ 100% is incredible.

About Deco:

Deco ALWAYS seems to be not in the match...to be out of it and to play bad. It's at the end of the match when you see his statistics that realize how good he had played.
Anyways this is not yesterday's case.
I would have liked to see Giuly but he is injured for now.

Anyways I was surprised at Milan. I heard a lot about Kakà and wanted to see it with my own eyes (and not WE8 eyes). Awesome player: fast, with technique...he even does Armani adds (Spain is full of them !).

I'm sorry, but I don't buy that argument about Deco. I know he has the talent, but he seems to lack the passion for the game. He just wanders around the pitch for long stretches of the game without making his presence felt. And this happens almost every match. It happened with Porto, with Portugal and now with Barca. I have yet to see what makes him so special.

As for Ronaldinho, I know he has even more to give, but even in his current form there's no match for him.

What impresses me the most about Milan is how well Sheva and Kaka compliment each other. They understand their games almost to perfection, they know were the other always is and they're a constant threat. If Kaka recovers the form he had when he first arrived at Milan, then Ronaldinho could have some competition.

Hooker

^ Yup, AC Milan has arguably the best attack in the world (percentage wise). And all the players complete eachother perfectly. 2 geniuses (Seedorf and Pirlo) supplying a shitload of incredible balls for Kaká and Sheva to display their magic with. Inzaghi is the odd man out, but because of his uncalculable nature the perfect addition to this attack. You don't know when or how he strikes, but he usually will in the space of 90 minutes.

Add to that a killer defense with Gattuso heading the back 4. Cafu, Stam, Nesta, Maldini. These names are legends in their own country. (Nesta played a shitty match though, how many teams have the luxury to say that Nesta is their worst defender!!) I just wish they'd play a bit more offensive.

Something else, Internationale is getting a bit too good for my tastes. Did you see what Adriano did with that defender, man! Sure, a bit of luck was involved, but boy did it look good! And thrashing Valencia 1-5 at the Mestalla is no easy feat. Even if they're playing shitty

We're not in the same league as Barca and AC, but Rangers went out and pounded some Polish team away from home 5-0 in the UEFA Cup group stages tonight.

I am most happy. Rangers had a very tough start to the season, with papers and media rounding on the team, and calling for the managers head. I always thought that we had a good team this season but with 7 new players in the team, all playing, it obviously took some time to get it together. Now, however, Rangers have got 7 wins on the trot, and not conceded one goal in any of them. Boumsong is a legend. How long we can hang on to him I don't know, but he really is world class.

And why Stefan Klos is not in the German team (he pisses all over Khan and Lehmann) is beyond me. For shame indeed. He's one of the best keepers in the world. No doubt at all. Noone that has watched him for Rangers in the past few years can deny that.

A shame for Hearts, but they have done so well in getting this far in Europe. To get to the group stages is a real triumph for Scotland.

Solid

Chelsea- Blackburn 4-0

HATTRICK BY GUDJOHNSEN!

blackburn_h4.jpg

I did not see the game since I was busy playing a Pro Evolution Soccer tournament :(

Anyway... Siena-Juventus and Real Madrid-Valencia later tonight. And tomorrow it's Manchester U-Arsenal and Milan-Inter! GOLD WEEKEND! :D

COCKLES

being watched
Stevie Gerrard said:
I think Manchester United have a good chance today. They're very dodgy in central midfield these days but any team with the horse, Rooney, CRonaldo and Giggs in attack can't be counted out.

Ferguson spouting his usual nonsense today of course http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/man_utd/3948653.stm
18-4 bitch

Either Man U will beat Arsenal....or they'll get totally owned. I'm not expecting a 1-0 type victory for either side. I'm acutally favouring Utd to win...simply because Fergie probably has a shotgun primed in the dressing room and will be telling the team, if they don't win, don't bother coming back.

Great King Bowser

Property of Kaz Harai
Go Arsenal.

Ferguson needs to shut the hell up and retire.

I don't really mind that much if we lose today, well I do. But Rooney had better not score otherwise I'll cry. Fucking Shrek.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom