• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2012 Season |OT| The Year of the...uh...Platypus?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok guys, back to Sepang.

forecast was a thunderstorm, and we didn't get any rain (or did we? I fell asleep half of the practice)

What do you think will happen tomorrow?

ibyCl4Qm5lu0FP.png

The thing with thunderstorms in that part of the world is that the weather can be great all day, then you get 20 minutes of absolutely horrible weather and then it goes back to sunny again. Very unpredictable.

smiggyRT

I'm going for as many williams as possible. I think they're vastly undervalued in F1racemanager. They might not make points but if they're faster than Force India and STR then a rapid climb in their value is a good move for later purchases of top teams and drivers.

Or they could crash out every race and I'd be screwed.

I honestly think the Toro Rosso will outperform Williams in Malaysia. Then again predicting the order of the midfield is one hell of uphill struggle.

Edmond Dantès;36288266 said:
Current feeder series to F1 after the demise of Formula 3000. Many current drivers have come from GP2 including Hamilton, Rosberg, Glock, Grosjean, Hulkenberg and Maldonado who all won the championship.

And don't forget the list of guys who didn't win: Kovalainen, Petrov, Kobayashi, Ricciardo, Perez, Vergne, Senna and Pic.

More than half the field is made up of drivers who came from GP2.

ANDY_098

And don't forget the list of guys who didn't win: Kovalainen, Petrov, Kobayashi, Ricciardo, Perez, Vergne, Senna and Pic.

More than half the field is made up of drivers who came from GP2.

Vergne and Ricciardo came from Formula Renault 3.5. Kubica and Alguersuari also came to F1 straight from there.

Yoritomo

I honestly think the Toro Rosso will outperform Williams in Malaysia. Then again predicting the order of the midfield is one hell of uphill struggle.

My only real bet on race manager is that williams will not be the worst of the midfield. Their current position and price indicates that they are the worst of the midfield, and it's largely based on their terrible performance last year and then both cars exiting the previous race early. Their qualifying position however indicates that the car is pretty quick and Maldonado's drive, except for his tank slapper into the wall, means they might get some results out of it.

I'd rather have Sauber due to their excellent pace but price wise they're a little out of reach. I really think that Force India is underperforming, and haven't seen enough of STR to know what they're capable of. I actually think Sauber might be the fastest of the ferrari powered cars this year, but ferrari itself has Alonso, who's probably the best driver on the grid.

Playing a fantasy league makes watching F1 and analyzing things like practice times so much more fun.

I'm going for as many williams as possible. I think they're vastly undervalued in F1racemanager. They might not make points but if they're faster than Force India and STR then a rapid climb in their value is a good move for later purchases of top teams and drivers.

Or they could crash out every race and I'd be screwed.

The biggest issue with Williams seems to be that Senna isn't performing up to Maldonado's level. In that tight midfield, Bruno's missing few tenths are going to translate to a many grid\finishing spots. I'd say his natural position right now is just in front of the Caterhams, and that won't net you too many points.

Orgun

A reminder

Practice 3 - 05:00 - 06:00
SKY F1 - 04:45
Qualifying - 08:00
SKY F1 - 07:00

BBC ONE Highlights - 13:00
Originally Posted by Sun 25 March 2012:
Race - 09:00
SKY F1 - 07:30

BBC ONE Highlights - 14:45

AndyD

aka andydumi

10 is nothing considering we now have sales penalties.

I went with STR/Will and PDR/Glock. I ran the math a bit and Total or Shell fuel are better bang per buck than going with Petronas or BP, even though you free up some money. Unlike last year, fuel is no longer disproportionately better.

One thing I was thinking of, I wish they would not award points for non finishes. It would make the whole thing a lot more interesting.

mblitek

So, I finally watched all of Free Practice 1 & 2. From what I saw and what the commentators saw it seems that of the top teams McLaren has to do the least to set their car up correctly. Then for qualifying I think it will be a close battle between Red Bull and Mercedes as Red Bull is having troubles with their exhaust and Mercedes having a little bit of trouble with their tires. But, Mercedes has that straight-line speed advantage and Sepang has those two long straights and some fast sweeping corners. And then we all know that Red Bull will be good even with an indecisive exhaust "issue."

Even though Kimi says that the car is having balance problems and he's not too happy with the steering (*cough* Trulli *cough*) I still think the car is quite good as Grosjean seems to be getting along with it quite well.

As for the rest? It's so close already and then you add in the possibility of rain and I think we are in for a good race!

I assumed in Melbourne that the reason Mercedes were so much more competitive during qualifying than the race was because their DRS system is much stronger than the rest of them. And because you have complete access to the DRS during quali, that advantage in amplified. This was my understanding anyway.

But if it's wet then you can't use the DRS, right? So if it rains tomorrow then Mercedes will lose that advantage they look to have over the Red Bulls in quali. Obviously there are a ton of other factors, but I don't see a wet race as being a good thing for Mercedes.

moojito

I assumed in Melbourne that the reason Mercedes were so much more competitive during qualifying than the race was because their DRS system is much stronger than the rest of them. And because you have complete access to the DRS during quali, that advantage in amplified. This was my understanding anyway.

But if it's wet then you can't use the DRS, right? So if it rains tomorrow then Mercedes will lose that advantage they look to have over the Red Bulls in quali. Obviously there are a ton of other factors, but I don't see a wet race as being a good thing for Mercedes.

I heard that the main problem is what happens when the drs is taken off, it causes the back end to move about a lot more than other cars and that wears out the rear tyres more quickly.

moojito

Click it, the quote makes it smaller :)

Does anyone know what time the qualy starts in GMT? I'm not interested in watching the Sky pre-qualy stuff.

Starts at 8am. I hope it's finished on time, as I usually leave the house for work at 8:45 but will risk it tomorrow. Hoping for no red flags!

Ark

Setting the alarms for 7:30 is going to be so much nicer than setting them for 5:30 like last weekend.

Chris R

Click it, the quote makes it smaller :)

Does anyone know what time the qualy starts in GMT? I'm not interested in watching the Sky pre-qualy stuff.

The resolution isn't 1920x1080 monitor ready is what I was saying, unlike the awesome pic I had from last week of Koba sloshing around T1 in the wet during practice.

dubc35

The resolution isn't 1920x1080 monitor ready is what I was saying, unlike the awesome pic I had from last week of Koba sloshing around T1 in the wet during practice.

I think all the pics from f1fanatic are that resolution. It works well on my work computer as it crops off the watermark under the taskbar but no so much on my home computer.

dubc35

I have the greatest co workers in the world. Agreed to move our shifts by 3 hours just so I can watch F1.
Nice! Definitely deserving of a pint/soda/coffee (depending on age and taste).

Crap, it looks like the stream I had been watching was taken down for copyright infringement! I'm not sure I would have still been up at 1am for qualy though. I guess I'll catch it tomorrow. Go Jenson, Webber and Kobayashi!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom