The Future Of Dragon Age PAX Panel (More Dragon Age 3 Information) [Updated]

Dec 5, 2009
10,234
0
685
OR
#52
4) On DA3 Premise – Dragon Age: Origins was about saving Ferelden from the Blight, whereas Dragon Age 2 was all about creating the conflict that fuels DA3. It was mentioned that DA2 was “the big setup” with the goal of the third game being “saving the world from…. itself”.

I wonder if they are going to explore the factions of both sides (Mages and Templars) and allow you to support one path or another, similar to how Fallout: New Vegas had the NCR and Legion. More than likely it'll be a middle-of-the-road approach, but one can dream, yes?
 
May 9, 2011
34,663
0
0
#53
GrandHarrier said:
By that logic, Deus Ex: HR should never have happened after the abomination that was Invisible War. And, realistically, HR is sort of a let down compared to even the first Deus Ex. It looks prettier but has, in many ways, way less options.
Nah DA2 was worse than Invisible War. IW just hurt more because it came after one of the best games ever.
 
Sep 27, 2006
2,052
0
0
#54
I'm worried about the protagonist being voiced as it may give Bioware an excuse for less content.

Origins had a ton of voiced dialogue and 2 has much less and that's including the voiced man character for both sexes. Voice acting costs money and having the character respond to every single dialogue option for a lengthy game is probably very costly.

Then again I don't know how they actually pay their VAs for content, it could be very simple.
 
Dec 5, 2009
10,234
0
685
OR
#55
Derrick01 said:
Nah DA2 was worse than Invisible War. IW just hurt more because it came after one of the best games ever.
My point was that good games can come after mediocre ones. I think its fair to say that one should give a series two black marks before abandoning it. It is unfortunate to see series go away because of one bad game. THQ shuttering Red Faction really sucks, after how good Guerrilla was. Armageddon may have been bad, but the concept of the series is solid.
 

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Oct 8, 2006
19,067
0
0
#57
Derrick01 said:
Nah DA2 was worse than Invisible War. IW just hurt more because it came after one of the best games ever.
Yeah IW (and even Project: Snowblind) werent awful games.. they just are nothing compared to the genius of Deus Ex. It would be as if DA2 was the sequel to BG2 instead of DA:O. The difference in outrage would sure be something.
 
May 25, 2011
2,158
0
0
Phoenix, AZ
#58
Don said:
I don't really see how they would handle The Warden and Hawke meeting up, unless it is something that happens off screen. Are they going to voice The Warden or would it be something similar to Claude showing up in San Andreas.

Also one other thing. I hope that if they have any more characters from origins showing up in the future that they find a way to make them not look so ugly. The new graphical style for DA2 started to grow on my as I played through it but anytime someone from Origins showed up (mainly Zevran and Alistair) they just looked off. I think Leliana actually looked ok in DA2 and Merrill was an improvement, although she was such a minor character in Origins anyway.
They could just have the voices of the people that did the Warden in Origins record the lines (since it'll likely be a short exchange and not a full on interaction throughout the game) and it picks the voice you chose depending on your Origins save data, which should be doable. I'd love to actually see it happen because it'd be cool to have the magi Warden (such as my character) meet his/her family again.

On the other note, it'll be sad to see anyone who played an elven Warden have their character turn into a frickin Na'vi when they showed them in III. Merrill is the ONLY person who benefited from that change to the elves, the only person.
 
Apr 18, 2011
33,527
0
0
#59
BeauRoger said:
Well, at least they are very quick about mentioning what they want to improve with the next game. They can never actually admit that the game was shit, and they wont, but they seem to get it. All this negative feedback was healthy, might inspire a better game.
Probably because, due to the popular belief of the entire internet, they most likely don't think DA2 was shit.
 
Apr 24, 2011
2,021
0
0
#60
Loved Dragon Age 2, play it through 3 times. The companions were much better written than DAO, and Hawke actually has a personality rather than blank slate voiceless Commander, which made all the companion conversations, and dialogue in general, much more interesting in DA2.

Do I wish they had more varies maps in DA2 than it did, sure. But DA2 was an very enjoyable game and I have look forward to DA3 and I hope they don't completely revert back to DAO.
 
Apr 4, 2011
4,716
0
0
#61
Last Hearth said:
Loved Dragon Age 2, play it through 3 times. The companions were much better written than DAO, and Hawke actually has a personality rather than blank slate voiceless Commander, which made all the companion conversations, and dialogue in general, much more interesting in DA2.

Do I wish they had more varies maps in DA2 than it did, sure. But DA2 was an very enjoyable game and I have look forward to DA3 and I hope they don't completely revert back to DAO.
I just don't know how someone can say this. It boggles the mind honestly.
 
#64
Dr Eggman said:
A Dragon Age thread? Let the incomprehensible, exaggerated hate commence.
It'll follow the defense of mediocrity on the schedule.


Oh wait! It turns out the Defense of Mediocrity is actually going to last forever, apparently. Guess the Incomprehensible, Exaggerated Hate will get bumped for simultaneous Valid Criticism running parallel to the Defense of Mediocrity.
 

trw

Member
Jun 26, 2009
453
0
0
#66
GrandHarrier said:
My point was that good games can come after mediocre ones. I think its fair to say that one should give a series two black marks before abandoning it. It is unfortunate to see series go away because of one bad game. THQ shuttering Red Faction really sucks, after how good Guerrilla was. Armageddon may have been bad, but the concept of the series is solid.
A big difference between these are that those who made invisible war acknowledged the error and scrapped deus ex 3, it took another team looking at what made the first great to revive the series. In this case the ones behind DA2 gets promoted.....
 
Jul 10, 2006
42,062
0
0
#67
ShockingAlberto said:
It'll follow the defense of mediocrity on the schedule.


Oh wait! It turns out the Defense of Mediocrity is actually going to last forever, apparently. Guess the Incomprehensible, Exaggerated Hate will get bumped for simultaneous Valid Criticism running parallel to the Defense of Mediocrity.
That's what happens when you take a population of people with differing opinions who do not understand the concept of fluidity or subtlety in criticism and place them together. Someone who likes a game will get a little bit upset when someone calls the game "the worst game they've ever played," and likewise people who don't like the game will be confused when someone says they like it very much. Dragon Age 2, FF13, etc. discussions are always the same: people talking past each other, trying to get their opinion heard, and in doing so, it becomes more and more extreme each time. The constant back and forth of completely binary and absolute hyperbolic opinions is getting really old and prevents any sort of intelligent discourse.
 
Dec 5, 2009
10,234
0
685
OR
#68
Dr Eggman said:
A Dragon Age thread? Let the incomprehensible, exaggerated hate commence.
It would be nice if we could discuss the points raised in the article, instead of defending against the same "Never again Bioware!" comments. Really, if you have no more interest in Dragon Age, why not just leave the thread, and allow those who are interested, talk about the OPs linked topics?

Edit: Case in point, this bullet point is interesting: * Someone asked which kind of combat they're going for: DAO's more MMO-esque combat, or DA2's more hack and slash type? Mike said it could be slowed down a bit, but he is still firmly anti-shuffle. (Yay!) They want to design encounters, not fights. Hawke should be shouting "more coming over the hill" and not "here comes another wave!" Also the environment should play a bigger role.

Seems to suggest that they are not going to repeat the drop in wave style of combat and go more akin to Legacy's style (which was really good imo). Also, I'm glad that realize what was wrong with DA:O's combat (the shuffle. God I hate the shuffle). A blend of the two is good. But which aspects? Clearly we can avoid the "A for awesome" meme because we have auto attack now. The focus on environments is interesting. Do they mean choke points? Or more akin to the last boss encounter of Legacy and the positioning requirements.
 
Feb 12, 2009
18,039
0
700
Brooklyn, NY
#70
GrandHarrier said:
It would be nice if we could discuss the points raised in the article, instead of defending against the same "Never again Bioware!" comments. Really, if you have no more interest in Dragon Age, why not just leave the thread, and allow those who are interested, talk about the OPs linked topics?
It would also be nice if people on both sides could stop persisting in the use of fallacies and generalizations, and instead form actual arguments and responses.
 
Dec 8, 2006
1,572
0
0
#72
One of the best parts of the Dragon Age storyline is the Templar/Mage rivalry. There is so much grey area there, I tend to lean towards Mage with my decision making, but Dragon Age does a good job of making you pause and really consider your decisions when comes to picking between the two.
 
Jan 22, 2010
1,856
0
570
#75
Darklord said:
There was in DA2. Male Hawke was an awful voice actor. So flat and uninterested half the time. Some character really close to him dies and he'd just like "oh damn that is so sad".
Yeah, it seemed like a rather obvious, yet completely missed opportunity for the player to have an emotional connection to the event. Unadulterated rage, crying, or ANYTHING from Hawke would have helped in that purpose. Rather than a moment with some serious shock value, it ended up executing as just another quest to finish in the checklist of things to do before the game ends.
 

Warnen

morphix's brother
Sep 24, 2005
2,472
2
1,090
40
Sea lab
#76
Just played thru DA2 on the PC, with its flaws still loved it.


Can't wait for part 3, really hope there is an awakenings style add-on for DA2 as well.
 

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Oct 26, 2009
24,268
0
0
#77
GrandHarrier said:
By that logic, Deus Ex: HR should never have happened after the abomination that was Invisible War. And, realistically, HR is sort of a let down compared to even the first Deus Ex. It looks prettier but has, in many ways, way less options.
It's bullshit and you can't claim it until you played the game to the completion three times at least. I have completed Detroit hub yesterday and watched my friend today doing shit I couldn't even think about and finding places I was sure were non-existent. And I was noticing more options for the third playthrough. Later in the game you'll get more stuff + augs and after that action gets absolutely unpredictable in best Deus Ex traditions. So until you know the game inside out or did two-three playthroughs you can't claim it.

Anyway I doubt DAIII will be as good comeback as HR. There's no such ambition.
 
Jan 16, 2011
6,132
0
0
#79
water_wendi said:
Yeah IW (and even Project: Snowblind) werent awful games.. they just are nothing compared to the genius of Deus Ex. It would be as if DA2 was the sequel to BG2 instead of DA:O. The difference in outrage would sure be something.
Yep, they were a bit mediocre, but they held my interest long enough that I could at least beat Invisible War. I can't say the same about Dragon Age 2.
 
#82
JimtotheHum said:
One of the best parts of the Dragon Age storyline is the Templar/Mage rivalry. There is so much grey area there, I tend to lean towards Mage with my decision making, but Dragon Age does a good job of making you pause and really consider your decisions when comes to picking between the two.
And Dragon Age 2 undid most of the gray area from that rivalry by making both sides cartoonish extremes. Every templar is a jerk who just wants to murder mages, every mage is teetering on the very brink of evil no matter who they are and will use blood magic when even slightly confronted
(also some are trying to personally kill your mother in massive conspiracies)
.
 
Dec 5, 2009
10,234
0
685
OR
#83
subversus said:
It's bullshit and you can't claim it until you played the game to the completion three times at least. I have completed Detroit hub yesterday and watched my friend today doing shit I couldn't even think about and finding places I was sure were non-existent. And I was noticing more options for the third playthrough. Later in the game you'll get more stuff + augs and after that action gets absolutely unpredictable in best Deus Ex traditions. So until you know the game inside out or did two-three playthroughs you can't claim it.

Anyway I doubt DAIII will be as good comeback as HR. There's no such ambition.
Or, if you are like me, you tend to backtrack and see what other options you had and to make sure you find all the locks to hack for XP. So you end up seeing most of the options that you had available to you. If you spend your Praxis points wisely you can get most of the augs you need fairly early on.

I disagree with you. I think they go have ambition. Why else would they be looking so hard at player feedback and pointing out ways they plan to improve DA:3?
 
Sep 16, 2007
8,436
0
0
Sundridge, Canada
#85
This almost makes me hopeful...but then I realize it's still Bioware doing the development.

I'm such a...completionist. Even if they manage to convince me DA III is going to be much, much, much more in the style of RPG that I want to play...(and it fucking needs to be, considering DA II)...and that they are going to actually make it feel like it wasn't a rushed to market product designed only to cash in.

I would find myself compelled to play DA II just so I understand DA III and put it in better context.

From what I have played of DA II (only the first three hours or so...), I really don't believe I can do that.

I might very well pass on DA III even if they do improve upon DA II.
 
Jan 16, 2009
16,846
0
0
#86
ShockingAlberto said:
And Dragon Age 2 undid most of the gray area from that rivalry by making both sides cartoonish extremes. Every templar is a jerk who just wants to murder mages, every mage is teetering on the very brink of evil no matter who they are and will use blood magic when even slightly confronted
(also some are trying to personally kill your mother in massive conspiracies)
.
That's not true at all.
 
#89
Massa said:
That's not true at all.
It more or less was, yeah. Almost every mage you'd try to save would become a blood mage or an abomination. Almost every templar you'd confront would want to just kill the mages right then and there.

There were exceptions, sure, but the entire narrative was shifted from "Blood mages are unfortunate but kind of rare" to "BEING A BLOOD MAGE IS EASY, EVERYONE'S DOING IT".

Hell,
the Circle leader, who was supposed to be a paragon of virtue for mages, becomes a blood mage after you take out five templars and he's decided blood magic is the key to winning the battle you already won. And that's if you side with him - if you don't, turns out he was always a blood mage and was working with other blood mages to kill your mother.
 
Oct 30, 2007
22,626
0
0
Australia
#91
Massa said:
That's not true at all.
The ending of the game
where the lead mage went fully evil just "because". It was fucking stupid. The whole game "no, we aren't all evil! Many of us are good!" to "fuck it, IM EVIL ARGH MUTANT MONSTER ROAR" in about 2 seconds."

ShockingAlberto said:
And that's if you side with him - if you don't, turns out he was always a blood mage and was working with other blood mages to kill your mother.[/spoiler]
Oh god, that's even worse!! What a shitty fucking game.
 
#95
Quick Note:

Mike Laidlaw has been promoted to Creative Director of the Dragon Age franchise, cementing him as the #2 person on the team.
Confidence Man said:
A forum post from Chris Priestly on DA2's art direction vs DAO:

To illustrate, think of cosplay. For DAO pretty much the only cosplay we had was Morrigan.
The barometer for success is how much cosplay they get.
There is one good thing about this, watching the trainwreck that DA3 is doomed to be will be exhilirating.
 
Dec 7, 2008
16,816
0
0
Netherlands
#97
DA2 is a flawed game, but I think the hate for DA2 on GAF is a bit overblown, and DA1 was a bit overrated (which might partially explain some of the hate)

DA1 had terrbile pacing at times, there were about 2 decent characters, and the original setting was wasted because it was just a fairly bland variation on D&D without the license.

And DA2 did do some stuff better, like for example the armour design, and the much better directed cutscenes.
 
Jan 16, 2009
16,846
0
0
#98
ShockingAlberto said:
It more or less was, yeah. Almost every mage you'd try to save would become a blood mage or an abomination. Almost every templar you'd confront would want to just kill the mages right then and there.

There were exceptions, sure, but the entire narrative was shifted from "Blood mages are unfortunate but kind of rare" to "BEING A BLOOD MAGE IS EASY, EVERYONE'S DOING IT".

Hell,
the Circle leader, who was supposed to be a paragon of virtue for mages, becomes a blood mage after you take out five templars and he's decided blood magic is the key to winning the battle you already won. And that's if you side with him - if you don't, turns out he was always a blood mage and was working with other blood mages to kill your mother.
The game was about the mages vs templars conflict, and there was definitely a lot of extremism and radical view points. The game acknowledges from the beginning that Kirkwall was the most radical templar order.

That said there were plenty moments in the game were regular mages or templars were simply caught in the middle of it all and were just dealing with it. Heck, the opening already showed some of that with your mage sister and Aveline's templar husband. There are countless other examples.
 
Jan 16, 2009
16,846
0
0
SatelliteOfLove said:
There is one good thing about this, watching the trainwreck that DA3 is doomed to be will be exhilirating.
It's this kind of shit post that makes Dragon Age threads on GAF nearly unreadable.