• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Game Awards 2015 Thread: Keighley's Last Supper

pizzacat

Banned
just quickly browsed through the winners, bloodborne isn't even nominated for best score/soundtrack? LOL
mkx winning best fighting game? LOL
no man's sky most anticipated game? LOL
The witcher 3 winning is what makes my sides dies tho. Some of the best comedy in the show right there

mileS

Not sure on all the details but if EA was funding some the show for a TINY bit of Battlefront shilling what seems to be the big deal. These things cost money, this ain't spike tv anymore.... seems like such a strange thing to get worked up over.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
This was a damn good show. Still a bit too much shilling for my likes, but they need to pay for this thing somehow. Definitely much improved over last year.

James93

I think Geoff is a great guy and it's obvious that he loves the game industry, but maybe The Game Awards would benefit if someone else took over hosting duties.

I think he's got too much of a personal stake in the whole thing - it always looks like the world's on his shoulders, and it probably feels that way to him. And it's possible that I'm projecting here, but sometimes he seems disappointed with his own show as he's presenting it. There's something apologetic about his behavior, like he knows the show is not quite as good as it could be.

And I bet a lot of the people around him - the celebrities, the musical acts, etc. - don't take the awards as seriously as he does, which must be frustrating. People still see the Game Awards as a dumb, Spike TV parody of "real" award shows, and that's gotta be hard for someone who wants to make something better but still has to rely on heavy advertising for support.

I have a lot of sympathy for the Keighley.

I think as long as Geoff is hosting no one will take it seriously. He cares about the industry but he has a past that isn't going to leave him. He is still seen as the dew, spike tv guy by many

Not sure on all the details but if EA was funding some the show for a TINY bit of Battlefront shilling what seems to be the big deal. These things cost money, this ain't spike tv anymore.... seems like such a strange thing to get worked up over.

I think interviewing other dev's and saying 'how awesome is Battlefield though?' is a bit weird.

border

I think interviewing other dev's and saying 'how awesome is Battlefield though?' is a bit weird.

I don't think anyone would have cared if they had real commercials for Battlefront featuring interesting gameplay scenarios.

To integrate the advertising into a series of lame, phony interviews was annoying. Fuck, they couldn't even come up with good stuff to talk about:

"What is your craziest Battlefront experience?"
"This one time I was playing and I saw Darth Vader and I was so scared that I ran away."

Really? Being a coward is your most noteworthy experience in the game?

Red Devil

Who won best shooter? Its not listed on any website and i dont remember them saying it. Did they just.. forget about it?

It appears to be the case GameSpot has the nominees but none bolded as the winner.

There was no award for that, at least not in the main show.

Well but the winner is not marked on the TGA site either, but all the others are... http://thegameawards.com/nominees/

If you select "Best Shooter" nobody is highlghted unlike all the others.

Celegus

At least it gave us the necessary outlet for Johnny V to whip an Infinity toy out of who-knows-where. Wouldn't be a gaming show without that happening at least once!

entremet

Good show. Less cringe than many Oscars I've seen IMO.

Yeah. I used to watch the Oscars, Emmys, Golden Globes, and Grammy religiously. They were boring, overly long, full of way more ads than the TGA, and full of cringey moments.

Award shows suck almost universally. I thought tonight was entertaining. Great segments with Iwata tribute and Westwood. Some decent premieres. And some good comedy from Conan and Bosman.

The show is still very young too.

Krabboss

Was he high, bored, or is that his normal energy level. His interview was really awkward and his musical performance seemes more like a soundcheck than a show closer.

His performance at this year's Dota 2 international was also woeful. When the crowd didn't respond to his set the way he wanted them to, he ran circles around the stadium and then left awkwardly. Then he went on twitter to whine.

Also, Geoff, if you want this to be the Oscars of gaming, you gotta enforce a dress code!

I mean, people have to be at Sutherland levels of well-dressed, at least.

r3ydujhrpekxjpta3sbof8suk.png

No more leather jackets and t-shirts with logos strewn on them. It's super unprofessional.

And I know that Geoff can pull off a suit

I will most definitely be wearing a suit at next year's show.
Oscars:

Oscars-Audience-Seat-Filler.jpg

Emmys:

0923_emmy-awards.jpg

Grammys:

Sting+55th+Annual+GRAMMY+Awards+Backstage+wqklRDQLpYsl.jpg

Smash88

Banned
Show was okay.

Feel bad for Jade though. Reads a promoter joke terribly, gets a card that is misprinted, and on top of it she either has anxiety or was inebriated.

Gleethor

I think Geoff is a great guy and it's obvious that he loves the game industry, but maybe The Game Awards would benefit if someone else took over hosting duties.

I think he's got too much of a personal stake in the whole thing - it always looks like the world's on his shoulders, and it probably feels that way to him. And it's possible that I'm projecting here, but sometimes he seems disappointed with his own show as he's presenting it. There's something apologetic about his behavior, like he knows the show is not quite as good as it could be.

And I bet a lot of the people around him - the celebrities, the musical acts, etc. - don't take the awards as seriously as he does, which must be frustrating. People still see the Game Awards as a dumb, Spike TV parody of "real" award shows, and that's gotta be hard for someone who wants to make something better but still has to rely on heavy advertising for support.

I have a lot of sympathy for the Keighley.

This is EXACTLY what I see when I see Keighley during these things. You hit the nail on the goddamn head.

border

On the topic of wardrobe:

I can't believe CD Projekt guy wore a t-shirt for his own game. Not even struggling indie bands are that tacky.

El-Suave

I think as long as Geoff is hosting no one will take it seriously. He cares about the industry but he has a past that isn't going to leave him. He is still seen as the dew, spike tv guy by many

Nobody truly hates him for that - he's the topic of a few light hearted jokes, but he's done more than enough to win back any respect he might have lost. In Bosman's case I'd even congratulate him for getting that gig while making fun of it at the same time.

Krabboss

Undertale got mega robbed at these awards, by the way.

Also Keighley can shill shit as much as he wants. He isn't a games reviewer. People in entertainment media shill for products all the time. It's a really silly reason to dislike a guy who seems as genuine as Keighley.

This is a....very long topic. There a decent summary of events anywhere?

Beyond what you can get from a simple list of winners:

-Greg Miller won the trending gamer award and gave a long but pretty good speech
-Mark Hamill was probably a little boozed and did the Joker voice in the award presentation he did
-Kiefer accepted the award for best action game and then Doritos Pope said the reason why Kojima didn't accept it was because Konami's lawyers barred him from doing so, prompting a gigantic wave of #FucKonami
-Jade Raymond gave the award for best performance, gave a "you're not my real Snake" burn to Kiefer, and fucked up the name of the game the award winner was from (it was the girl for Her Story and she said Witcher 3)

pizzacat

Banned
I agree with the dress code. The dude going crazy on the mic with his speech had sneakers on. Witcher guy had a shirt with his game on it lol, like 100 people with t shirt and blazer combo.

Top Bottom