• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Game Awards 2016 Nominees announced [Update: Full list in OP]

Javin98

Banned
Love Uncharted 4 but I hope something else take GOTY for following reasons.
It's not ND best game, they can do better.
Avoid generate more haters.
Eh? I can understand the first point, but for the second, why would you give a shit what those posters think? It would be so satisfying to watch the meltdowns and salt mines if Uncharted 4 does indeed win. We'll have threads with people thinking they have something to prove.

were 3 nominations for Uncharted in best performance really necessary? I imagine that pushed out many other deserving performances and games, but I haven't really bought new games this year so I'm really not one to talk.

xviper

Naughty Dog are very lucky with Uncharted 4, they skipped 2015 where it would have been smashed by Witcher 3 and MGS 5

and now FFXV is the one expected to be the GOTY but it comes out too late for that

i hope Overwatch wins but i know it won't

so congratulations Naughty Dog, you won your second GOTY

GOTY

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End

BEST STUDIO/GAME DIRECTION

Naughty Dog

BEST NARRATIVE

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End/Inside

BEST ART DIRECTION

INSIDE/Overwatch

BEST MUSIC/SOUND DESIGN

Doom

BEST PERFORMANCE

Nolan North as Nathan Drake, Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End
/Rich Summer as Henry, Firewatch

BEST INDEPENDENT GAME

Inside

BEST MOBILE/HANDHELD GAME

Pokemon Go

BEST VR GAME

Batman: Arkham VR/Job Simulator

BEST ACTION GAME

Doom

BEST ACTION/ADVENTURE GAME

Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End

BEST ROLE-PLAYING GAME

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt -- Blood and Wine

BEST FIGHTING GAME

Killer Instinct Season 3

BEST SPORTS/RACING GAME

Forza Horizon 3

BEST MULTIPLAYER GAME

Overwatch

It will go something like this imho. Now don't ask me to chose between Horizon and God Of War for my most anticipated game :p

Javin98

Banned
It will go something like this imho. Now don't ask me to cose between Horizon and God Of War for my most anticipated game :p
Yep, I think you're on point. Hell, I'm even more undecided about my most anticipated game. I can't decide between Resident Evil 7, Horizon Zero Dawn and God Of War. :p

I think Best Narrative will go to Inside, though.

Yep, I think you're on point. Hell, I'm even more undecided about my most anticipated game. I can't decide between Resident Evil 7, Horizon Zero Dawn and God Of War. :p

I think Best Narrative will go to Inside, though.

As much as I'm hyped for Horizon, i think that if Gow was closer to release it would win (for me of course) without a doubt lol.

Yes you're probably right.

Wait, AM2R and Uranium are both up for awards despite being nuked by Nintendo? That's pretty awesome lol. AM2R getting recognized by this would be legit lol.

Berto

This is 2014 tier level. None of this games would be even nominated in a strong year like last year. And Dark Souls 3 is nowhere to be seen.

This is 2014 tier level. None of this games would be even nominated in a strong year like last year. And Dark Souls 3 is nowhere to be seen.

barkley-wtf-stare-.gif

itshutton

This was really tough. There were 2/3 for every category that I couldn't call between.

GOTY
INSIDE

BEST STUDIO/GAME DIRECTION
id Software

BEST NARRATIVE
Firewatch

BEST ART DIRECTION
INSIDE

BEST MUSIC/SOUND DESIGN
Inside

BEST PERFORMANCE
Emily Rose as Elena, Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End

BEST INDEPENDENT GAME
The Witness

BEST MOBILE/HANDHELD GAME
Pokemon Go

BEST VR GAME
Rez Infinite

BEST ACTION GAME
Doom

BEST ACTION/ADVENTURE GAME
Hitman

BEST ROLE-PLAYING GAME
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt -- Blood and Wine

BEST FAMILY GAME
Pokémon Go

BEST STRATEGY GAME
Civilization VI

BEST SPORTS/RACING GAME
Forza Horizon 3

BEST MULTIPLAYER GAME
Overcooked

BEST ESPORTS GAME
Overwatch

TRENDING GAMER - Presented by Intel
AngryJoeShow

BEST FAN CREATION
Pokemon Uranium

MOST ANTICIPATED GAME
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Pretty sad list overall imo, say alot about how this year is shaping up. Dont get why they have a VR category but feel the need to combine mobile and handheld. Interesting that they acknowledge Project A2M.

Can't decide between OW and DOOM, but one of them should win, that's for sure.
I really hope cinematic garbage like U4 or inside won't win.

trugs26

I dunno. 2016 has been stacked from an overall platform perspective.

UC4, XCom 2, Civ VI, DS3, Hitman, Monster Hunter: Generations and so on and so on.

Just seems to be missing a couple quality Nintendo titles that it makes up elsewhere.
As I said in my original post, there's heaps of awesome games this year, but not many "10/10" type games in my opinion.

KHlover

Banned
Hope Nintendo takes at least most anticipated with BOTW. After that strong E3 showing it *should* be a lock, but you can never be too sure.

Axass

The Witness is being robbed because it came out too early in the year. It should definitely be among the "best game" nominees.

Loved UC4 so best of luck to ND, Inside, Doom and TF2 are all fantastic as well.

Why do they do these things early in the year though? there are still fantastic games that should be considered.

goty - inside.
best studio - nd.
best narrative - inside.
best art - abzu.
best music - doom.
best performance - cissy jones.
games for impact - wut?
best indie - inside ofc.
best mobile - severed by a mile.
best vr - dont know.
best action - doom.
best adventure - uncharted 4 but what the heck is this category man.
best rpg - blood and wine.
best fighting - no clue.
best family - again, dont know what this category means. (dat r&c doe)
best strategy - bias but civ6.
best sports - no idea.
best multi - no idea.

trending gamer - danny o'dwyer is the only one i know and he didnt even make his new documentary yet.

most anticipated - great list, but id go for mass effect just cuz its so close

Cappa

Banned
GOTY

DOOM
INSIDE
Overwatch
Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
Titanfall 2

Im surprised by this list(they all deserve GOTY nominations but didnt expect them to get nominations especially games like Inside, Doom or Overwatch)... and would be shocked if Uncharted didnt win.

MP-only titles don't tend to win GotYs (maybe from outlets, but as far as big awards goes I can't recall which was the last one to win a GDC, Bafta, D.I.C.E. or VGA), so that should rule OW out. My money's on UC4 or Doom. Unless OW manages to buck the trend.

Im surprised by this list(they all deserve GOTY nominations but didnt expect them to get nominations especially games like Inside, Doom or Overwatch)... and would be shocked if Uncharted didnt win.

Why is it surprising? All 3 have been well regarded and OW in particular has seen big success. Arguably the biggest release of this year.

Inside will win be a mile, I think (and hope).

Ignoring Metacritic, Inside is the game that commentators/reviewers/podcasters kept referring back to as the year has gone on. It's not about what scored more highly on the day of review that will swing it.

That game left people talking for weeks/months. People felt compelled to do spoliercoasts just to discuss theories.

Good list though, overall.

HotHamBoy

Some of these are not worthy. The mobile/handheld category is a joke, there have been much better games in that space this year. I'll allow Severed.

Also, where is Guilty Gear Xrd-R for Fighting Games?

Ignoring Metacritic, Inside is the game that commentators/reviewers/podcasters kept referring back to as the year has gone on. It's not about what scored more highly on the day of review that will swing it.

That game left people talking for weeks/months. People felt compelled to do spoliercoasts just to discuss theories.

Similar thing can be said about OW. That game had buzz all year, even for shit like that lame Sombra ARG.

Memento

If impact was the most important aspect to win GOTY, then Pokemon Go would be it.

Cappa

Banned
Why is it surprising? All 3 have been well regarded and OW in particular has seen big success. Arguably the biggest release of this year.

Im just used to seeing these lists with typical Call of Duty Battlefied Fallouts etc etc games that are on GOTY lists because of sales and not necesarily because of critical claim. Im surprised to seeing new and different IPs on GOTY lists.

I could just be completely out of the loop with The Game Awards though and not realize they actually have good GOTY picks every year....

Plum

INSIDE does not deserve GOTY in my opinion. Its gameplay is overall worse than its predecessor and it just retreads so much of the old ground with a story that's way too ambiguous for its own good. Giving it GOTY would just cement the idea that to make a good indie game you just have to try and ape the indie darlings of the late 2000s such as Limbo, Braid, etc.

Also, the secret ending revealing that it's all just a metaphor for control and may actually be meta is so overdone at this point in art games that I couldn't help but lower my opinion of the game because of it. If that's what its saying then the rest of the game (except that blob creature, wow that was good tech) doesn't save it.

Lux R7

Dark Souls 3 had the best art direction imho.

Also, i think, but that's just my opinion, that it is still the best videogame of 2016 with Doom.

viHuGi

Banned
Loved UC4 so best of luck to ND, Inside, Doom and TF2 are all fantastic as well.

Why do they do these things early in the year though? there are still fantastic games that should be considered.

Indeed, those games were great! I would give to Uncharted 4 or Inside though, Uc4 is the best game of the generation easily but Inside is a Indie masterpiece and if it wins Goty all other indie devs know they have a chance to do something great in this industry and be recognized.

Doom is absolutely stunning game, i mean probably one of the best single player fps of all time, sure it´s not on the same level as Uc4 Campaign BUT might have the surprise effect and actually win this, i would love Doom to get some love aswell on the awards.

TitanFall 2 sure is a great fps, still have to play that masterpiece, also Infinite Warfare campaign and zombies mode deserved some love, who played it knows it is absolutely spectacular!

Overwatch does not deserve to be here, terrible game and no single player.

Tyranny, Hitman and Blood & Wine are the games I enjoyed the most. Once it gets patched probably Dishonored 2 as well. Disappointing that there is no trace of Tyranny in this list.

Top Bottom