• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Game Awards will be 'significantly shorter' this year

cormack12

Gold Member
Source: https://www.thegamer.com/the-game-awards-2022-will-be-significantly-shorter/

Fewer big games will be shown this year, Geoff Keighly has said, but viewers can still expect a feature-packed show.

Keighley revealed the change in one of his regular Twitter spaces streams where he said: "One thing we're doing this year is we're trying to make the show a little bit shorter. I won't say anything officially until we're through our rehearsals, but we think it's going to be a significantly shorter show this year."

ANIMAL1975

Friday Night Smackdown Lol GIF by WWE

Im sure it will still be good.

That's what she said anyways...

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
People watch this?

As if it holds value or just like some sport awards show?
I don't care about the awards in least.

When I do have time to watch shows like this its for that one or two surprise showings that might interest me and we get the occasional big news as well like the Series X reveal

0neAnd0nly

“Less big games”… compared to… normal…?

Ugh…. That’s…. Not good.

It isn’t exactly a show that drops tons of hammers as it is…

Eef.

Synless

Steam probably didn’t want to hand out as many steam decks. Told them to shrink it the fuck up.

Last edited:

Humdinger

I can never watch award shows. There is just too much yammering, marketing, cringey stuff, and filler. I just want to see the new trailers and reveals, so I end up looking for snippets, either here or on Youtube.

More people watch this than the Oscars. It’s a huge, huge show.

Is that right? Or are you being facetious? If you're being straight, then I'm surprised. I didn't realize it was that big.

Last edited:
  • Strength
Reactions: Fuz

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
I can never watch award shows. There is just too much yammering, marketing, cringey stuff, and filler. I just want to see the new trailers and reveals, so I end up looking for snippets, either here or on Youtube.

Is that right? Or are you being facetious? If you're being straight, then I'm surprised. I didn't realize it was that big.

Oh yeah, it's huge. It's far eclipsed the Oscars at this point:

https://screenrant.com/oscars-game-awards-viewers-ratings-academy-comparison/

Humdinger

I’ll take a chode over the long pencil dick Geoff has been giving these past few years. Last year I watched the VOD, scrubbed past most of the bullshit music performances, and just watched the reveals.

Last edited:

Jennings

With one Xbox Series X (or was it Playstation 5?) slated to be given away to viewers once per minute during the show, this means significantly fewer giveaways.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
So, even less chances of getting some Dragon's Dogma 2 footage than before uh. Fuck.

Hopefully it's mostly trailers and not too much of the usual crap.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
Damn. I've never enjoyed TGA, but this year Steam's giving away Steam Decks to viewers, so the longer the show, the better my chance of winning one.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
That's fine just give me FF16, Death Stranding 2 and 1 or 2 surprises and we're good 🤩

I would love to see Spider-man 2 or the rumored MGS remake 🔥

Last edited:

Hawk269

So he is basically confirming that this more about marketing/announcing games versus them being about awarding those teams that deserve recognition? Show could still have the same running length and air more awards being awarded and giving the teams a little light on them. But who we are kidding, this Award show is more of a marketing show.

poodaddy

I tune in because it’s a fun way to celebrate the industry and I get to see reveals of big upcoming games.

What’s not to like?
It's cringey as shit though. I like your optimism and positivity though for real, but I legit hate this show. Wish it was ran differently, less cringe, less advertisements mixed in with the presenting, less corny shit and less forced celebrity involvement. Geoff said he wanted it to be like the Oscars of video games and yet he conducts the whole affair with all the class of a backyard wrestling match. Could stand to be much less juvenile and ridiculous.

Top Bottom