• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Game Developers Conference 2006 Thread (Part I)

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
sorryaboutdresden said:
Dresden is a city in Germany that was fire bombed by the united states during World War 2. What made it so devastating was that their was absolutely nothing of military value in the city, and the fire bombs practically created hell on earth there. Everything was destroyed. FYI, i chose that name mainly because it is the name of an indie rock band that I really like. It's Conor Oberst, from Bright Eye's brother's band. Really great stuff. I like him more than his brother who is an absolute prick in person.

It's also the name of the bar in Swingers :)

Jax said:
isn't technoruby a crazed nintendo fan? I expect him to go nuts at the Iwata speech thing even with GC 2.0's graphics.

Yeah he must be. I mean he was there, how could he not be going hype crazy? He gave himself away by posting an *opinion* you people didn't wanna hear. He's a crazed nbot for realz.

Seriously -- it seems he might be wrong on one or two counts... are we gonna tally the pre-rendered vs realtime stuff from LAST YEARS E3 yet? Who cares?

Calm down... that one sentence won't matter a jot anyhoo. A lot of good came out of Sony's conference.

GhaleonEB

Wyzdom said:
I hope this rumor of 1 million PS3 at launch day isn't true...
If it's worldwide launch, one million wouldn't even be enough for Japan. You guys better get ready for GARGANTUESQUE shortages unless they ship something like 3 million consoles.
Gamestop said in a conference call yesterday that they expect 750k PS3 units for all of North America in 2006. Analyst Piper Jaffray had the same according to sonycowboy That puts the US launch units on par with what the 360 did (600k in the US, unknown in Canada). There will be epic shortages.

But back to GDC....

The lack of hard confirmation on the HDD was a real surprise. I thought if anywhere this is where they would remove all doubt, for the sake of the developers.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Jax said:
isn't technoruby a crazed nintendo fan? I expect him to go nuts at the Iwata speech thing even with GC 2.0's graphics.
Not sure what his particular preferences are, but he's always been a fairly even-handed poster around here. I don't think we have to rush to imply bias on his part, when it may just be foggy recollection or even the simple truth regarding his impressions of the Sony GDC keynote. Wait and see.

I talked to someone at the same Q and A that IGN was at, and there they said the games are in fact region free. While Harisson may have been talking out of his ass, I'm giving the gaming press a free pass on this for now. Lets just hope its true.

Striek

gofreak said:
Some more impressions here:

http://blogs.gamedaily.com/blogs/

They're very hot on Warhawk.

I think re. Region free, it'll be left to publishers to enforce if they want to. I doubt Sony will force pubs to make their games region free.
Jeez, mixed impressions total.
Someone in IRC said it best, seems some reporters are over-compensating (on the backlash) after being fooled last year. Though Warhawk was obviously realtime and everyone who disses that is just nuts.

I'm going to wait for media on my own before deciding who to believe on this grand scale of;
Ps2-quality <<<<>>>>matches CG - the impressions have just been too mixed

RaijinFY

GhaleonEB said:
The lack of hard confirmation on the HDD was a real surprise. I thought if anywhere this is where they would remove all doubt, for the sake of the developers.

That simply means there will be no HDD with the machine. Like I said in another thread, Sony would have confirm this by now if it was standard.

StephaneC

more info on IGN.com

In a QA session following the platform keynote address at GDC 2006 this morning, Sony Computer Entertainment Worldwide Studios President Phil Harrison confirmed what was heavily demanded for import gamers all over the world and yet previously thought unthinkable for a major corporation: the PS3 will be region-free for gaming.

The move was not unexpected, as SCE had previously mentioned considering the possibility of opening up the region structure for PS3 games recently (the newly-released PSP system has but does not use a region code system for games, but that's more a standard for portable games than a new development for region-free gaming.) The system is, amongst other things, hoped to help combat piracy - many import fans "chip" their consoles with region-free mod chips to play import games, and while that desire has some legitimacy, it also opens the doors for pirates to release illegal copies of games. (Funnily enough, it's most often easier to run illegal games on a console than it is to run legit games from other countries due to the way most mod chips work, leading to a slippery slope for importers hoping to stay legit but finding the road difficult to maneuver.) Region-free gaming also allows game publishers to release games across the globe simultaneously, either through e-distribution or on disc. The capacity of Blu-Ray had previously been mentioned to allow for multiple languages of a game to be encoded onto the same massive-capacity disc.

The one caveat of this new region-free structure is that games made for specific regions' electrical and TV standards may have problems on your TV set. A PAL PS3 game, for instance, will have difficulty running on an NTSC TV, unless the developers have thought ahead and planned for that issue. It is currently unknown how the PS3 will cope with this problem (whether there will be a warning when you run an import about possible TV incompatibility, or if possibly there might be a no-play screen for incompatible games depending on your PS3's TV settings.) Luckily, modern HDTV standards go a long way towards making that problem moot. Also, games made in other countries will naturally only have the text and dialog it is programmed with, so don't put your pre-orders down so fast on all of those Japanese RPGs and Dragon Ball if you don't know a lick of kanji, because English will only be in if the developers have planned for it. (It's unknown if there will be any type of "patching" system for multi-language releases, although that might be possible on supported games post-release now that the PS3 is carrying its massive HDD and flash memory support.)

We'll have more details on how this impacts publishers and importers as soon as we know more about SCE's plans for region-free PS3 gaming.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Vieo said:
How can there be another WarHawk?
You had to kill yourself to beat the first game.

:lol :lol :lol

You know that "Eject" function that seemed to serve no purose during the game? Well, if you used Eject just before you fly into the last boss's mouth, you survived and got the Good Ending.

RaijinFY

Striek said:
Jeez, mixed impressions total.
Someone in IRC said it best, seems some reporters are over-compensating (on the backlash) after being fooled last year. Though Warhawk was obviously realtime and everyone who disses that is just nuts.

I'm going to wait for media on my own before deciding who to believe on this grand scale of;
Ps2-quality <<<<>>>>matches CG - the impressions have just been too mixed

I'm trusting element's impressions. Sounds about right! ;)

RaijinFY said:
That simply means there will be no HDD with the machine. Like I said in another thread, Sony would have confirm this by now if it was standard.

No, it simply means that we don't have all the information yet. You can't take what we have and turn it into a simple yes or no.

If anything, I'd say Sony wants to wait and see how much they have to charge for PS3 before commiting to the HDD. If they can get costs down to a reasonable level, they'll include it, otherwise, exclude it. But that's a theory, not a simple answer.

Mifune

Mehmber
RaijinFY said:

If the games require the hard drive, how can they NOT include one with the system?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
In a QA session following the platform keynote address at GDC 2006 this morning, Sony Computer Entertainment Worldwide Studios President Phil Harrison confirmed what was heavily demanded for import gamers all over the world and yet previously thought unthinkable for a major corporation: the PS3 will be region-free for gaming.
This is absolutely HUGE for me. I seriously hope this comes through...

I was planning on buying TWO PS3 systems, as I attempt to play most of my games in Japanese these days but wouldn't want to miss out on Western titles. Really damn good news. Possibly the best in this thread.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
kaching said:
TekunoRobby, I gotta ask...

You're saying what was shown was a far cry from this?

warhawk-ps3-20050916045048555.jpg
No, I think what he said is that it looked much worse than the E3 video...

The picture you have there is from the TGS video, and that was pretty clearly realtime. Now, I might be crazy, but to me, that picture you posted and the whole TGS video definitely looked better than the E3 video of this game.

Beowvlf

Banned
OMG REGION FREE!! HOW IS THAT NOT A MEGATON ON THIS BOARD?!?!?!!

Do you realize how amazing that is? I highly doubt they'll keep the region coding in for their legacy BC, so that means the PS3 will be capable of playing EVERY SINGLE PLAYSTATION TITLE EVER DEVELOPED ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD!

/faints, wakes up, screams like a little girl and proceeds to faint again

OMG!

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Marconelly said:

The picture you have there is from the TGS video, and that was pretty clearly realtime. Now, I might be crazy, but to me, that picture you posted and the whole TGS video definitely looked better than the E3 video of this game.
Right, sorry, this pic was released at E3 last year...

jarosh

Gazunta said:
Guys, Phil Harrison never said it was region free.

He said publishers COULD make one global SKU.
did you even read my post or the article? they're not talking about what he said DURING the keynote but about the QA session AFTERWARDS.

"In a QA session following the platform keynote address at GDC 2006 this morning, Sony Computer Entertainment Worldwide Studios President Phil Harrison confirmed what was heavily demanded for import gamers all over the world and yet previously thought unthinkable for a major corporation: the PS3 will be region-free for gaming."

if this turns out to be untrue IGN would have seriously fucked up.

Marconelly said:

From his impressions the footage shown at GDC just had planes flying over water while the E3 footage had planes flying over land. That could be what the difference is. Because the quality of the planes in the TGS footage isn't worse than what was shown at E3. The only difference was that the TGS footage took place above water while the E3 footage was above land and having it take place above land is always going to make it loo more detailed.

Liquid

Banned
snatches said:
As far as the online service goes, that will destroy XBL. Say what you want about XBL and we have to wait and see, but if Sony implements the features of XBL Gold and provides it free, MS better respond quickly. Otherwise, the PS3 will seriously destroy the 360 this gen.
It doesn't even matter if its buggy as hell. The public perception will be that they are offering something for free that MS is charging for. End of story.

if people were really like this no one would have regular phone service and everyone would be using voice over IP because its free. MS is not doomed. unless its a 99% exact copy of XBL, people will still continue to use xbl or even *OMG* use BOTH!!! :O

Sony was strict as hell with cameras during the keynote. Their will be videos from their booth up later tonight for sure though. Their booth has the tech demos for Warhawhk , Ratchet, Motor Storm, etc.

RaijinFY

dark10x said:
This is absolutely HUGE for me. I seriously hope this comes through...

I was planning on buying TWO PS3 systems, as I attempt to play most of my games in Japanese these days but wouldn't want to miss out on Western titles. Really damn good news. Possibly the best in this thread.

QFT! Best news in this thread!

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
jarosh said:
did you even read my post or the article? they're not talking about what he said DURING the keynote but about the QA session AFTERWARDS.

"In a QA session following the platform keynote address at GDC 2006 this morning, Sony Computer Entertainment Worldwide Studios President Phil Harrison confirmed what was heavily demanded for import gamers all over the world and yet previously thought unthinkable for a major corporation: the PS3 will be region-free for gaming."

if this turns out to be untrue IGN would have seriously fucked up.

I still think it's a publisher opt-in thing. People should be wary of their expectations surrounding this for now!

Mifune

Mehmber
RaijinFY said:
Actually I'm quite confused by "required"... what would that mean exactly?

From Kotaku:

""First, he declined to talk about whether the hard drive will be included in the PS3. Instead, he said that all PS3 games will require the hard drive."

It seems pretty silly to sell a game system without the component that lets you play the games, doesn't it?

The HDD has to be included.

GhaleonEB

Mifune said:
From Kotaku:

""First, he declined to talk about whether the hard drive will be included in the PS3. Instead, he said that all PS3 games will require the hard drive."

It seems pretty silly to sell a game system without the component that lets you play the games, doesn't it?

The HDD has to be included.
That's the confusing part. Why not just say it?

Elios83

sorryaboutdresden said:
Sony was strict as hell with cameras during the keynote. Their will be videos from their booth up later tonight for sure though. Their booth has the tech demos for Warhawhk , Ratchet, Motor Storm, etc.

Hoping they'll be showing the same demos of the keynote.

saelz8

GDC: New Super Mario Bros. There's a lot of upcoming games at GDC, and there's none bigger than New Super Mario Bros. Nestled snugly within Nintendo's mini booth and always busy, the game is being put through its paces and for great reason: It just so happens to be incredible. The primary reason why I love this game is because it's just Mario Bros. Thus far, I haven't seen much that suggests that Nintendo is dramatically altering the series. It's just a new side scrolling Mario game, albeit one that features new forms, levels, power ups, and other neat features. At the onset, a dark, ominous cloud hovers over the castle and rains lightning bolts down upon it, and somewhere during this catastrophe the princess gets captured by a Koopa kid and Mario dives into action. Oh that princess. I'm beginning to think that she actually ENJOYS being kidnapped. At first the opening level looks typically Mario. You maneuver our hero from left to right, pausing to collect coins and destroy bricks with his head. But then something strange happened. I hit this one brick and it revealed this humongous mushroom (Mode 7 style), and when Mario jumped onto it he became HUGE! That's nothing new, as Nintendo has been showing that for over a year, but what's really cool about it is that he can just destroy everything in his path. Mario knocks down warp pipes, barrels through bricks, and stomps on enemies, and doing this just feels immensely satisfying. Unfortunately, however, it's all time based, so eventually he returns to his normal self. What's also cool is the ability to pan the camera left and right using the L and R triggers, respectively. It just gives you a good idea of what's coming up so you don't just ram into things. Mario can also execute a ground pound, and this can be achieved by pressing a JUMP button (it appears that all of the face buttons are jump buttons) and then pressing DOWN on the d-pad. There's also new suits! I picked up a blue turtle shell and Mario put it on. BUT, I immediately picked up a fire flower and lost the shell (doh) so I dont know what it does...yet. I also spied a Metroid inspired level where Mario starts on the bottom and you need to keep jumping up to reach the top, navigating past moving walls and spikes. It's definitely challenging, especially since those walls are always moving so much. On my last try, they smooshed him pretty good. In addition to the main quest, which contains 8 worlds and about 80 levels, there's also mini games, the same ones from the DS version of Super Mario 64. But there's also a multiplayer mode where up to 4 (at least 4...the lady demo-ing the game said 16, but that's not confirmed) people can compete against one another in several different games. Overall, New Super Mario Bros. is immensely entertaining and I want to play more...and I shall. But first I must cover more Nintendo games!

GAFFERS at GDC go find out what the blue shell does :D
Cant wait for this game
Source

GhaleonEB said:
That's the confusing part. Why not just say it?

at this point i dont think its as big a deal. Either way, we are probably going to pay $100 for the HDD, whether its through a $400-500 MSRP, or separately like Xbox360 (not neccesarily with 2 skus though). Developers are requiring the HDD for game developing, and thats the real key thing. I think Sony is probably just up in the air about whether they want to include it, or sell it seperately to allow consumers to buy bigger/third party drives, much like memory cards.

GhaleonEB

Mifune said:
Maybe it's implied? I don't know. Your guess is as good as mine.
If they wanted to "bomb zal droppen" about the HDD, I would expect something like, "Every PS3 will ship with a HDD standard," to be said. When both Ken and Harrison dodge that statement and leave it up to implication, something is up. Sony does not mess around when it comes to making huge announcments like that.

Mmmkay

GhaleonEB said:
If they wanted to "bomb zal droppen" about the HDD, I would expect something like, "Every PS3 will ship with a HDD standard," to be said. When both Ken and Harrison dodge that statement and leave it up to implication, something is up. Sony does not mess around when it comes to making huge announcments like that.

My guess? It's either because they maintain a competitive advantage by not revealing the information too early, or because there is still not enough certainty about the Bill of Material cost to guarantee its inclusion.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
GhaleonEB said:
The only thing that's up is that they probably haven't decided exactly how they want to package it and, even if they had, with 8 months to go before launch circumstances may still conspire to suggest a different course of action in that regard. They seem committed to the statement that it will be required for every PS3 game, which doesn't make it any different from a regular memory card in that respect.

Top Bottom