• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Game Developers Conference 2006 Thread (Part I)

element

back from the keynote and got my laptop running finally.

Motorstorm looked blah. textures were washed out and had some framerate hitching. the mud stuff was kinda cool, but at the same time a little lame. It looked like the surface level on the ground was wrong, especially with the motorbike.

Warhawk looks pretty good. Water looked great, the clouds were really nice. It didn't have the level of detail I was expecting of a 'wow' PS3 title. But it looks to be coming along very well. Looks like Crimson Skies 3.

I8 (whatever it is called) looked really nice. Animations were awesome, and the weapons were really well done. From the video it looks like they are doing a lot of baked lights, which has it plus and minus'.

R&C Demo. This looked awesome. It looked like R&C but just far more detailed and 'epic' in terms of scale. They didn't go away from the art style which makes the game cute, but just increased the believeablity in what is happening in the world.

God of War 2 looks cool. Nothing shocking, outside of Jaffe saying the PS3 can't handle 3 somes and 4 somes yet.

GhaleonEB

gofreak said:
According to Kotaku:

http://www.kotaku.com/

"First, he declined to talk about whether the hard drive will be included in the PS3. Instead, he said that all PS3 games will require the hard drive.

“Hard disk drive is a key feature for the Playstation 3. It is a key feature of the platform.
Developers are designing their games to support a hard drive. Every single game will support a hard drive.”"
Back to square one.
Sounds like they are telling developers to support it as an option (like Oblivion does), rather than count on every system having one. That's a BIG difference...

D3VI0US

GDC was their shot at the lesser threat of MS, they ripped off XBL, put the HD in, showed great software and basically took a lot of wind out of their sails. They just bought themselves that delay with all this good news. Given the controller info at E3 we'll likely see how they ripped off Nintendo and their 3-d controller. I mean if there is one thing Sony is good at it's adapting, remember how the PSX didn't have an analog controller at first. They correct their mistakes and they cover their bases, right now they're loaded and at E3 with the right games and the right price they can hit a grand slam.

Tiger said:
All I even care about right now, is seeing a video of the Motorstorm footage. That was the one demo at E3 last year that had me saying "if the final game looks that good, I will own that system for that game".

No one should be defensive for Sony if their real time games don't look as good as those videos at E3 last year. Sony made it's own bed by showing that footage last year, and anyone who is serious about games will hold them accountable to that bar they set for themselves. I know I will.

The conflicting reports about the footage shown today, leave me to believe that it didn't look quite as good as that E3 footage last year. Hopefully that is not the case.

Thats basiclly how I feel. Fuck it. The games they showed last E3 should look betternow. It would be unacceptable it Motorstorm and Killzone looked worse. Becasue according to Sony those videos were close "target" renders.

Borys said:
Do not try to "get" GAF.

Embrace it!
:lol No way. Im allergic to fanboyism. :)

RaijinFY

Motorstorm looked blah. textures were washed out and had some framerate hitching. the mud stuff was kinda cool, but at the same time a little lame. It looked like the surface level on the ground was wrong, especially with the motorbike.

Is Motorstorm a launch title?

Ponn

Banned
PhatSaqs said:
It sounds like only First party offerings will be free.

Oh for cripes sake, keep holding onto something there aren't you :lol

Every online system has said the same thing meaning they can't control if Square charges to play FFXI or Sega with PSO. Or how EA is charging a buck or two now for their games.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
D3VI0US said:
GDC was their shot at the lesser threat of MS, they ripped off XBL, put the HD in, showed great software and basically took a lot of wind out of their sails. They just bought themselves that delay with all this good news. Given the controller info at E3 we'll likely see how they ripped off Nintendo and their 3-d controller. I mean if there is one thing Sony is good at it's adapting, remember how the PSX didn't have an analog controller at first. They correct their mistakes and they cover their bases, right now they're loaded and at E3 with the right games and the right price they can hit a grand slam.

So, we'll mark you down for "cautiously optimistic."

kaching said:
No, you don't need to elucidate because it was pretty clear the first time when you picked only one revenue model out of several listed and exaggerated how overbearing it would be to the exclusion of all the other options, that you weren't interested in having an objective conversation about this.

But I am though, honestly. You can be flippant and objective at the same time, can't you? Flippantly objective? Do I honestly believe the PS3 will have Pop-Ads? No. But does the thought of that make me snicker? Sure. Do I enjoy spreading the joy of laughter across the globe? You bet.

I don't think I've ever written a post on this board that's been blatantly anti-any particular console. As I've repeatedly stated, I want the Ultimate Online Wipeout experience more than I want Little Teeny Benjamin Jr's and Sony's success is critical to this coming to pass.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
GhaleonEB said:
Sounds like they are telling developers to support it as an option (like Oblivion does), rather than count on every system having one. That's a BIG difference...

That's confusing, though, if he actually said all games will require it, as reported also by Kotaku. I guess someone will get a full transcript of this up soon.

Also, if anyone missed it, Resistance looks pretty certain for launch - confirmed for 06:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6146418.html

u_neek

As long as the product placement stays in sports/racing games or games that replicate the real world (like Yakuza, Shenmue, The Getaway) I'm happy.. Keep that shit out of my FF games please!

D3VI0US said:

That would be hilarious for all of the wrong reasons.

Mifune

Mehmber
To show off PS3 and Blu-Ray, a demo from the makers of The Getaway was once again shown, in realtime on the system. Displaying London's Picadilly Circus in realtime, the system pulls data from the Blu-Ray disc to display all of the detail and data and population of the hotspot. As was mentioned at the PS3 business meeting earlier this week, other realtime world data could then be fed in to make that game cityscape real to the moment of London itself.

This sounds impressive until I gave it some thought.

Isn't this what video game systems are supposed to do? Pull data from the disc, whether it be Blu-Ray or DVD? And then wouldn't the realtime data stuff be fed in via the online service? What is remotely cool or unique about this? Sounds like PR hype to me.

Until I actually see some of the tech demos, I'm not drinking the kool-aid. A free online service could be great, though.

GhaleonEB

BenjaminBirdie said:
It's on now.
1) 3rd parties can charge for online play. EA, here's looking at you.
2) He also said there is a subscription service. What are people going to subscribe to...? This point really confuses me.

u_neek said:
As long as the product placement stays in sports/racing games or games that replicate the real world (like Yakuza, Shenmue, The Getaway) I'm happy.. Keep that shit out of my FF games please!

:lol
Chicken Little Summon FTW!! (Or would that be Ronald McDonald Summon FTW?)

Count Chocula said:
it sounds like 3rd parties can charge as the see fit.

That's a whole damned can of worms that I'd like to not see. With exclusives like NFL and Tiger, EA can certainly get away with charging a couple of bucks. Ubi is super-hot with the military games (SC, GR, RS), so they can charge a couple also. Capcom could charge a buck, so could Activision. First party offerings do not and will not compete with all of the top titles from these publishers. Next thing you know you are paying $5-$8 a month online and $50 year doesn't look so bad.

PhatSaqs

Banned
Count Chocula said:
it sounds like 3rd parties can charge as the see fit.
Which is pretty much the model that they have now.

As long as the matchmaking, friends, etc. system is unified (and 3rd parties DO NOT get the gumption to charge for online play) I have no issues with it.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
GhaleonEB said:
1) 3rd parties can charge for online play. EA, here's looking at you.
2) He also said there is a subscription service. What are people going to subscribe to...?

MMOs? Other games? Content e.g. a subscription to download some TV show or something? Could be lots of things.

SuperPac said:
If the online play part is free, then there's no deterrent in place to keep people from being jerks. If you can be an a-hole, get banned and just create a new free account and get back on, then there's no incentive to keep the 12-year-olds / cheaters / jerkwads playing fair. Paying for it at least reduces that a little bit and keeps expectations for the level of service fairly high.

DNAS encryption has been pretty good as far as cheat prevention goes on PS2 online. Also they could go the SOCOM III route and require a credit card (without charge) to register your universal log in to keep tabs and control over users. You'll probably need credit registered anyway as downloadable content seems to be a big focus for Sony going forward.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
My full report will be up at Gaming-Age. My outlook is hopeful but nothing mindblowing was really shown. The new Ratchet & Clank seems great though!

hukasmokincaterpillar said:
DNAS encryption has been pretty good as far as cheat prevention goes on PS2 online. Also they could go the SOCOM III route and require a credit card (without charge) to register your universal log in to keep tabs and control over users. You'll probably need credit registered anyway as downloadable content seems to be a big focus for Sony going forward.
:lol :lol :lol @ the DNAS comments...

also, MS dumped the CC rerqirement for LIVE precisely because it limits who can join...

plus anyone with $5 can get a prepaid vise/mc at major retailers nationwide...

J-Rzez

Resistance is sounding pretty nice now... I'm taking much more of an interest in it...

but man... Rachet and Clank... Announced so soon... I GOTTA SEE a VID on this... It's one of my Fav series... :)

Sony's online plan sounds pretty ambitious... I'm wondering if their "acheivements-type-thinga-ma-jig" and friends list stuff is going to be in the "Premium" service... something like FULL stat tracking?

Wonder whatelse they copied off of Live then... the Lag as well? *muah haha*... I love how ppl think it's nonexistant on Live... but fail to realize as long as we're plagued with crappy low-end DSL broadband services in this country, lag will be there, and it's mainly the users fault, not the service... seriously...

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
BenjaminBirdie said:
You can be flippant and objective at the same time, can't you? Flippantly objective?
Sure, but only if you had actually acknowledged all the alternate revenue streams they're pursuing in your flippancy :p

Dracos

I'm surprised nobody has posted a pic of BoxGuy in an attempt to ground this thread to reality. GAF is slipping.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Dracos said:
I'm surprised nobody has posted a pic of BoxGuy in an attempt to ground this thread to reality. GAF is slipping.

This thread is way more sensible than the fappy retardation during the Japan announce a week or two ago. Which is ironic because there’s more concrete news in this one and no gigantic delay announcement.

Forsete

element said:
i got video of God of War 2 with my camera. BlimBlim is kind enough to host it. should be up shortly.

Did you get any PS3 stuff? Motorstorm, Heavenly Sword or Warhawk for example? :D

:)

kaching said:
Sure, but only if you had actually acknowledged all the alternate revenue streams they're pursuing in your flippancy :p

But they weren't nearly as funny!

Anyways. You know I respect you, brah. If you were another coketard, I wouldn't have bothered.

RaijinFY

Ok here we go:

-Motorstorm looked like shit for now. Early build.
-Warhawk looked nice but not (yet?) jaw-dropping, It looked like a launch title.
-I-8 looked really nice with room for improvements though, planned for launch.
-Ratchet and Clank looked awesome but not planned before 2007? Target render or real-time?
-How was Heavenly Sword?

Sounds good 8 months before the launch but still not OMG.

EDIT: BTW I wasnt at the conference... :lol and it seems the launch will be better than PS2. :D

http://psp.advancedmn.com/article.php?artid=2660

Lastly, it was reiterated that Sony plans to meet consumer demand for the Playstation 3, however a meager one million units are said to be allocated for November's worldwide release. The Advanced Media Network will keep you updated on any further developments.

How the fuck is Sony going to meet consumer demand with 1 million units. Christ, I'm an econ major, but I could be retarded and know that this is impossible. That is unless the system is some ridiculous price point. I'm still expecting the $500 mark though. Whatever, we'll see what happens at E3. Bring on the craziness.

element

Forsete said:
Did you get any PS3 stuff? Motorstorm, Heavenly Sword or Warhawk for example? :D

:)
sadly no :( the orange shirt guys were going crazy about halfway through telling everyone to stop taking photos and video. I didn't want to get kicked out.

Elios83

Great news.Sony is really putting a lot of efforts in PS3.
Anyway now...give us the movies of the games!!!I want to see them with my eyes!

element

they really didn't show heavenly sword. only a ragdoll demo with ageia physics (or havok). They put 100's of guys on the screen and had a cursor that allowed them to do an explosion and he guys flew around the screen. it was cool, but not really 'game' stuff.

sorryaboutdresden said:
http://psp.advancedmn.com/article.php?artid=2660

How the fuck is Sony going to meet consumer demand with 1 million units. Christ, I'm an econ major, but I could be retarded and know that this is impossible. That is unless the system is some ridiculous price point. I'm still expecting the $500 mark though. Whatever, we'll see what happens at E3. Bring on the craziness.

I thought the curfew-inducing riots of 11/11/06 were old news?

Though, Sony hasn't said they're allocating a million units, right? That's just current speculation.

jarosh

uhm, guys...

GDC 2006: Region-free PS3
Prepare for the shock of shockers - every PS3 game from the world can be yours!

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/697/697656p1.html

In a QA session following the platform keynote address at GDC 2006 this morning, Sony Computer Entertainment Worldwide Studios President Phil Harrison confirmed what was heavily demanded for import gamers all over the world and yet previously thought unthinkable for a major corporation: the PS3 will be region-free for gaming.

The Faceless Master said:
:lol :lol :lol @ the DNAS comments...

also, MS dumped the CC rerqirement for LIVE precisely because it limits who can join...

plus anyone with $5 can get a prepaid vise/mc at major retailers nationwide...

Just a supposition, we'll see. SOCOM II-III with DNAS had pretty much the same level of cheating as Halo 2, the point is simply charging for the service to play games doesn't make a big difference there. And you can spare me the fucking laughing smiley faces and actually articulate your point next time, thanks. :)

Top Bottom