• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Game Developers Conference 2006 Thread (Part I)

Tiger

Banned
jarosh said:
GDC 2006: Region-free PS3
Prepare for the shock of shockers - every PS3 game from the world can be yours!

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/697/697656p1.html

In a QA session following the platform keynote address at GDC 2006 this morning, Sony Computer Entertainment Worldwide Studios President Phil Harrison confirmed what was heavily demanded for import gamers all over the world and yet previously thought unthinkable for a major corporation: the PS3 will be region-free for gaming.
Wow. Thats pretty freaking cool.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
BenjaminBirdie said:
But they weren't nearly as funny!
A reminder why we're having this conversation at all...
Why don't you try responding to the "Xbot" posts that coherently raised issues about the cost of a free online network...
It's a little disingenuous to call for coherent objections and simply respond with flippancy.

snatches

gofreak said:
According to Kotaku:

http://www.kotaku.com/

"First, he declined to talk about whether the hard drive will be included in the PS3. Instead, he said that all PS3 games will require the hard drive.

“Hard disk drive is a key feature for the Playstation 3. It is a key feature of the platform.
Developers are designing their games to support a hard drive. Every single game will support a hard drive.”"

Back to square one.

Oh GAWD. Not this again. They are clearly keeping their options open.

As far as the online service goes, that will destroy XBL. Say what you want about XBL and we have to wait and see, but if Sony implements the features of XBL Gold and provides it free, MS better respond quickly. Otherwise, the PS3 will seriously destroy the 360 this gen.
It doesn't even matter if its buggy as hell. The public perception will be that they are offering something for free that MS is charging for. End of story.

Mifune

Mehmber
I think that hardware shortages at launch are just something we're going to have to get used to. As these systems get more complex and the demand continues to skyrocket, I don't think there's any way Sony or Microsoft can ship enough systems to keep people happy out of the gate.

Ceb

jarosh said:
uhm, guys...

In a QA session following the platform keynote address at GDC 2006 this morning, Sony Computer Entertainment Worldwide Studios President Phil Harrison confirmed what was heavily demanded for import gamers all over the world and yet previously thought unthinkable for a major corporation: the PS3 will be region-free for gaming.

Sounds believable. Everything was pointing towards this. :)

A PAL PS3 game, for instance, will have difficulty running on an NTSC TV, unless the developers have thought ahead and planned for that issue.

I presume this problem is accounted for in the devkit. If a game allready is running at 720p, the downscaling for PAL and NTSC tv's would be a piece of cake.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Borys said:
Sorry about Dresden? Was there an concetration camp there like in Auschwitz/ Birkenau?
Dresden was the site of a vicious and (some say) needless bombing during WWII. It's one of the main focuses of Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut.

kaching said:
A reminder why we're having this conversation at all...
It's a little disingenuous to call for coherent objections and simply respond with flippancy.

Busted!

Yeah, that was pretty stupid of me. But man that kid's post was dumb.

hadareud

The Translator
Borys said:
Sorry about Dresden? Was there an concetration camp there like in Auschwitz/ Birkenau?

There was some heavy bombing of civil targets by the allies. I dunno if this is what the name is about ...

PhatSaqs

Banned
Jim said:
Tekunorobby's impressions:
http://www.gaming-age.com/news/2006/3/22-53

Pics coming soon (or so he says). :)
GDC essentially confirmed that everything game related Sony showed at E3 was purely rendered footage and was no indication of the final product.
b17bombdrop.jpg

PS3 region-free?! Well it's about fucking time a major hw publisher embraced this concept. I wonder if that means PS1 and PS2 bc will be region-free as well.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
GDC essentially confirmed that everything game related Sony showed at E3 was purely rendered footage and was no indication of the final product.
Since the final products were shown at GDC?

i just cant believe this reagion free. its obviously true but... my brain.

once my body and mind are fully willing to accept this reality i think the skin on my face may tear from the smile that will result. please pray for me.

(play-asia, lik-ang, ncsx am cry?)

+Aliken+

Zaxxon said:
holy shit region free!!!

eh.
mah.
Now with HD TV there is no PAL/NTSC difference, therefore no real need to have region block and anyways the same counts for the 360.

The good thing about this is that they cannot have late Pal (or US) releases ;)

123rl

gofreak said:

Wait...is this real? Or is it that:

Step one:

Harrison said they might do this

Step two:

IGN hear this

Step three:

"..."

Step four:

IGN tell the world that it is definitely happening

Because there is nothing official in there about it happening, not even a direct quote. You don't understand how much I'd want this to happen but I just don't see it being true, especially after SCEE's attitude towards import gaming. If it is true though then day one purchase for me...no doubt about it!

StephaneC

jarosh said:
uhm, guys...

oh my gooooood !!!! :love:

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
BenjaminBirdie said:
Busted!

Yeah, that was pretty stupid of me. But man that kid's post was dumb.
We're cool. Personally, I would have thought the "wheel of fortune" line that was also quoted from "Doc Phil" would have made much more fruitful fodder for flippancy ;)

Beatbox

alien from planet Highscore
ummm said:
http://psp.advancedmn.com/article.php?artid=2660

Harisson, the deliverer of the company's keynote address during the trade show made the surprising comment that "all" of the demo's shown today were in fact compiled and finished in December of 2005. The Sony executive reiterated that what was shown today is still a long way from what users can expect to see in when the console releases, as the provided demo's fail to mimic the quality of what is currently produced.

The demo's shown at GDC were entirely done in realtime and are said to be an accurate depiction of the system's hardware capabilities, however, knowing that the videos currently available are several months old it is highly probable that their finished products will in fact be superior.

Word.

Dresden is a city in Germany that was fire bombed by the united states during World War 2. What made it so devastating was that their was absolutely nothing of military value in the city, and the fire bombs practically created hell on earth there. Everything was destroyed. FYI, i chose that name mainly because it is the name of an indie rock band that I really like. It's Conor Oberst, from Bright Eye's brother's band. Really great stuff. I like him more than his brother who is an absolute prick in person.

Pug

Its being said that its up to developers if they region lock their games ala 360. Some games will be region locked due to licencing issues and such like.

+Aliken+ said:
What about the controller?
We know it's changing (thank god) but do we know anything else?
I can imagine 3 scenarios for the PS3 controller:

1) Boomerang controller is only slightly changed, perhaps more ergonomic than it currently looks.

2) Boomerang controller is changed to look nearly identical to the Dualshock(2).

3) Boomerang controller casing is changed, but internally, it is retrofitted (much like the analog sticks were on Dualshock1) with everything and anything Sony can to make it more similar to the Revmote (ie: gyration, accelarometer, mercury-sensor, etc...).

J-Rzez

hukasmokincaterpillar said:
Just a supposition, we'll see. SOCOM II-III with DNAS had pretty much the same level of cheating as Halo 2, the point is simply charging for the service to play games doesn't make a big difference there. And you can spare me the fucking laughing smiley faces and actually articulate your point next time, thanks. :)

DNAS did a wonderful job of getting rid of the Codebreaker guys from Socom 1... that's all that mattered as it got rid of the most severe of cheaters... as you only have the same level of cheating in the newer Socoms like you do in Halo2 and stuff... and, once again... Sony did it for free... which was cool...

Region Free will be huge...

kaching said:
We're cool. Personally, I would have thought the "wheel of fortune" line that was also quoted from "Doc Phil" would have made much more fruitful fodder for flippancy ;)

Photoshops are not my line of expertise. ;D

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
TekunoRobby, I gotta ask...

Overall it was a great demo but a far cry of what was shown last year and gave a nice sobering introduction to the rest of the demos which was shown towards the end.
You're saying what was shown was a far cry from this?

warhawk-ps3-20050916045048555.jpg

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Pug said:
Its being said that its up to developers if they region lock their games ala 360. Some games will be region locked due to licencing issues and such like.

Yeah, unfortunately it can only really make sense as an opt-in thing for publishers.

Ranger X

I hope this rumor of 1 million PS3 at launch day isn't true...
If it's worldwide launch, one million wouldn't even be enough for Japan. You guys better get ready for GARGANTUESQUE shortages unless they ship something like 3 million consoles.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
jett said:
:lol Tekunorobby seriously needs to watch the E3 trailer of Warhawk again.

He needs to rewatch the entire thing ;)

"GDC essentially confirmed that everything game related Sony showed at E3 was purely rendered footage" = nonsense.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
Wow that region free PS3 news is amazing. There's handfuls of import PS2 games I would buy if I had a region free PS2. I assume you won't be able to play import PS2 games on a PS3?

The GameDaily EIC is providing lots of impressions in blog format (from the show floor, I assume)
http://blogs.gamedaily.com/blogs/

WarHawk
Motorstorm
New Super Mario Bros
Magnetica

These are up so far.

WarHawk:
Of course, we didn't play it, and this is mega-early. But for those of you who remember the Warhawk trailer earlier in 2005, you can rest assured that it looks to deliver on its visual promises.

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
jarosh said:
uhm, guys...

shockmaster9rl.jpg

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Does TekkunoRobby really think the Warhawk demo presentation at this GDC was worse looking than the Warhawk at last E3, or did he just forgot that the Warhawk video at last E3 wasn't really all that, and in fact was worse looking than the little video snippet of realtime footage from TGS?

Gazunta

Guys, Phil Harrison never said it was region free.

He said publishers COULD make one global SKU.

However that STILL means the game could detect what region its being played on.

All it means is that (as a developer) i only have to make one version - not a NTSC version and then a PAL version and then a PAL version with 7 country localizations on it.

Oh and Warhawk looked like an average PS2 title. Sorry kids! The guy went on about all the detail that was going on in the background, and i couldnt make it out (on a huge projector with 1080p) - all i saw were dark objects moving around a dark player controlled fighter firing dark objects at each other. Ran at 8798877498fps sure, but it wasn't exciting. I get what the guy was trying to do - Return of the Jedi-style space battles in the background that the player doesnt control, which is a great concept - but the art direction (AT LEAST FROM THE STUFF THAT WAS SHOWN, DONT CRUCIFY ME) was...unexciting. It could have just been a bad example, or not gamma corrected enough or whatever. Shrug.

Anyway about to head back in and molest some DS Lites...

Top Bottom