• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Get Down Part II |OT| Same story, second verse - Netflix 4/7

Status
Not open for further replies.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
zxLi75U.jpg

Part Two of The Get Down picks up in 1978, one year after the events of Part One. The sweeping upheaval of late 70s New York City finds an as-yet-unnamed new pop cultural force striking a new beat in the Bronx, while disco still reigns supreme.

Release date: Five episodes hit April 7th.

Spoilers: Please spoiler tag your spoiler discussion while also labeling your post. (i.e. Episode 4
The Bronx is burning.
)

Links:

Cast:

xUwpCtG.jpg

Shameik Moore as Shaolin Fantastic, Justice Smith as Ezekiel, Herizen Guardiola as Mylene Cruz

fhR3n4J.jpg

Yahya Abdul-Mateen II as Cadillac, Skylan Brooks as Ra-Ra, Tremaine Brown Jr. as Boo-Boo

foXQjEu.jpg

Mamoudou Athie as Grandmaster Flash, Jimmy Smits as Francisco Cruz, Giancarlo Esposito as Pastor Ramon Cruz

dcPKvVg.jpg

Stefanée Martin as Yolanda Kipling, Lillias White, Zabryna Guevara as Mrs. Cruz

VWohDLl.jpg

Jaden Smith as Marcus 'Dizzee' Kipling, Michel Gill as Mr. Gunns, Tory Devon Smith as Little Wolf

Reviews:

Promo photos:

You got me all excited thinking it was today.

I thought Herizen Guardiola had black in her. In the show I think she's supposed to be only boricua.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Indiewire:

If not, the final five episodes may send you reeling. Taking place one year after the end of Part 1, “The Get Down” wraps up Season 1 by amplifying its core musical elements; there are more performances from the The Get Down Brothers and Mylene Cruz as both gain traction in their quest for stardom, and there’s an intensified focus on the challenges and choices facing musicians. Each performance feels like a victory just by reaching the stage, and what’s done when they’re up there is an extraordinary accomplishment from a true collaboration of artists. “The Get Down” comes together and cranks it up to 11, if you will, and for those who were already invested, it’s quite a ride.

We Got This Covered:

Music is at its core, but the characters represent the beating heart of this series. With all the flashy visuals and performances, it’s easy to overlook that they’re the strongest part of The Get Down. Wholly engaging and true to life, they share a chemistry together that’s just as strong as the one the Stranger Things kids share. Rocking a story that contains everything from political, religious and corporate corruption, racism, diversity used as a tool for public perception, religion versus art, the birth and evolution of a musical genre and so much more, The Get Down Part 2 brings the show home in truly epic fashion. Although it may seem like sensory overload at times, the show stays fully committed to its style, tone and mission. Fantastic music, fully realized characters and a fascinating chronicle that brings a moment in time back to life in all its glory and shame makes The Get Down a saga worthy of high praise and worth appreciating multiple times over.

DirtyLarry

I really enjoyed this show being a lifelong fan of Hip Hop and growing up in NJ I also heard accounts of most of these stories over the years on some shape, form or fashion.

Also being a huge fan of Hip Hop Family Tree (make sure to peep my De La Soul drawing in the pin up gallery of Volume 4), it was amazing to basically see it converted to a capable series, but my only complaint about the show at times felt a bit too much like an "ABC Afterschool Special." Younger members may not even get that reference as it is something that has not been around for many years, but for those that do remember, I am curious if others feel the same.

With that said, it is a show whose story needs to be told, so I am all for it from that standpoint alone. I do just wish however the quality was consistent. That's all. Will still watch Season 02 and be into doing so.

5? God damn it. I hope this isn't a sign of things to come regarding budget cuts or cancellation

Most entertaining netflix show. So good

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Are you sure?

Sorry, I thought it was a done deal. Baz:

To be honest, we have already developed the opening of the next season. Sony and Netflix have been very driven about having a second season. There has been no question about that. They really want it. The issue is, and it is a simple truth: I never saw myself as the showrunner.

As Cindy Holland of Netflix said to me, “We are not in the habit of creating awesome characters and then throwing them away.” I thought that was a great quote. She said these characters live, and it’s our responsibility to try and find a way that they live on. That’s what we want to do. Is there formally a second season? No. I know they want it, and we’re trying to find a way that that can happen.

Http://screencrush.com/the-get-down-season-2-episodes-baz-luhrmann/

duckroll

Damn I really hope it doesn't fall through. I want more of this show, but everything points to Netflix being cautious on it. :(

This reminds me of the Sense8 situation. Another Netflix show I love, but is very expensive to produce and I feel that every season is a blessing because it can be canned at any time because it's not a break out success. :(

T_T

addik

Watched the first two episodes and I enjoyed how they doubled up on the music this time and less on the drama, so it's been definitely a lot less draggy at times.

The animations are a bit awkward, wished they were better. But they were all right ultimately.

--EDIT: Finished the whole 5 episodes and I really wanted more. I really dig Ezekiel + Mylene as a couple--not very clingy but you can definitely feel the chemistry between the two.

Tall4Life

Got through the first two episodes, man do I still hate Mylene and her father. Mylene especially is incredibly self righteous and thinks everyone should stop their lives for her

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Okay so... the animated sequences are clearly a budget saving decision since they are replacing all the big set pieces. But man, I wish they got money make the better looking.

Edit: Man, that ending. I guess that answers my question about another season.

I hate how it feels like they split up what would be "season one" of a show into two halves.
Oh well, it'll probably be great just like Part I was.

duckroll

Finished the second episode. Wow. I really HATE the animated sequences now. there's really no reason they exist other than really cheaping out on lavish sequences. Sequences which the first part of the season had no issues with doing in live action. Really weird. Really disappointing.

Yeah, the animation does this show a huge disservice.

It rushes through, waters down, or outright eliminates pretty big moments, some touching moments, and some potentially well-acted scenes that would have taken the time to play out in season one.

I don't know the budget, and maybe I'm being naive, but it's not like we're dealing with some sci-fi, superhero, effects-heavy stuff here.

Yeah, I finished watching the first episode this morning and was wondering WHAT THE FUCK? Those animated scenes look like the cheapest garbage my dude. Oh shit bruh, that shit is funny bad.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
You know, I was thinking about this - maybe the animated sequences look like that because they're supposed to evoke Fat Albert. lol

Tall4Life

Finished the whole series, thoughts below

Yeah the animation kind of ruined a lot of moments/put in unnecessarily...one of the more egregious things for me was that in the last episode, when Boo Boo gets arrested, that all happens in the animation. What should be a moment of "oh shit" looks campy as hell and I didn't care.

Overall I think I liked the first series better. This one blew up with so many characters and plotlines that didn't really go anywhere. Mylene's storyline has basically been the exact same since the first series and I thought she was mostly over her troubles with her family, but that's basically her only role besides being an asshole to Zeke.

Once again the music was the best part of the series, even if it feels a bit too complex for what hiphop was in the late 70's. It was great that there were even more performances. Only real gripe with this was Mylene's Toy Box. Someone prove me wrong but I had never heard an R&B song in the 70's sound like that, it sounded like Rihanna or some late 2000's R&B. I thought she was supposed to be a disco queen.

Dizzee's relationship with Thor is something I have minor problems with as well, it feels like again that they're jamming in so many characters and extra storylines that don't have much relevance to the overall theme of the show, which is about the evolution of hip-hop with a side taste of the late disco scene. I get that it's supposed to demonstrate the growing LGBT movement and all, including graffiti, but it feels almost too outside of what the show kind of intended to do.

Stylistically it's still one of the coolest shows, everyone has so much swagger and it's shot great. Everything's good there.

Though I was complaining about all the characters and storylines they introduce earlier, one thing I kind of wished they continued was the punk rock scene with Claudia...
With the focus on disco and hip hop/rap, I did forget that punk rock was also exploding during this time. Although, it is more of a white people thing so it doesn't fit too well with the themes that go along with black culture in the Bronx. She was still a fun and more interesting character than the others introduced in the second series, I'd like to see more with maybe a spin-off/sequel of this focusing on the growth of punk rock.

Overall it's still a great watch, but the first series was consistently better to me.

woolley

Overall I like this better than Part 1 but I didn't see the point in adding in the animated sections, they didn't really add anything to the show.

Does anyone know the name of the song playing in episode 5
when Dizzy and Thor are painting each other?

Just got done watching and holy shit the ending was so good.

But one question, how is the budget of this show 16 million a episode? Must be going towards all the rights of the music they get to play on the show

Exis

Corny as hell but I loved this show, shame about the animation as you can totally see that it is a budget thing.

I was SO GLAD that wasn't animated. Good example of the sort of scenes we need more of, but get robbed of because of the cheap animation shit.

I wonder if the budget really started to get strained around this time of shooting because the animation didn't start getting used until this second half of the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom