• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Get Down Part II |OT| Same story, second verse - Netflix 4/7

Status
Not open for further replies.

dracula_x

0SwlUo8.gif

^ :)

also soundtrack will be available on April 14

Amazon – https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XYWGBH3/?tag=neogaf0e-20
iTunes – https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/get-down-ii-original-soundtrack-from-netflix-original/

Awww yeah! I will be getting Toybox.

I love that look of
ultimate jealously and defeat. That moment when you realize you've been surpassed after talking all that shit.
:D

Edit: Just realized Pray was on there. I'll be picking that up too.

btw, Sia wrote that song.

I'm gonna have to check more Sia music, because song was dope as hell.

Saw 2 so far and it is as fun as ever. God damn these cartoons are awful tho.

I'm glad it's an insignificant portion of the show so far, and I get what they're going for with the amateur comic/fat Albert influence but lol these struggletoons are not helping anybody.

Hope to see more of Jimmy Smits and also the get down crew just chilling in the next 3. Damn shame how short this second part/season is. Really hope we get a renewal announcement brehs

Also I love how they went from remixing star wars to remixing
rocky

And that conversation with Ra about where he saw the future of the genre was an awesome wink to the audience haha

That fucking jump kick in the bathroom was hilarious btw. God damn I love how this show just continues to tow the line between cheesy camp and drama

Those animated hits are the worst idea in any Baz Lurhmann production, and he's a man who makes a career out of bad ideas that are usually greater than the sum of his parts.

Anyways watched all five episodes back to back until 4am, and my heart was tense the entire time.

A masterpiece, except
holy hell, everything went to shit at the end. That looks like behind the scenes production drama if there ever was one. Was a whole episode cut for money and needed to be inserted into the last 20 minutes without any closure?

i just finished watching that episode. She was jealous as hell. Good episode too. Damn Mylene's performance was off the hook! That shit was flawless! She was looking sexy as hell, the costumes were on point, the props were on point, and the choreography was on point. Also, is it just me or does the music in Part II sound more modern than it did in Part I? The rapping sounded like something from the 90s and Mylene's song in this episode sounded like something that was made today.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Two episodes down and I'm liking it. The music is stronger, I think. The animations are embarrassing and down-right wack.

Just finished Part II I really liked Part I but Part II was a let down. I don’t know what they were thinking with all the animation, especially one particular sequence. I do want to get the Part II soundtrack they had some good songs.

Btw my favorite episode of the entire series was the Grandmaster Flash crayon episode. I really hoped Part II would have The Get Down learn from Herc and Zulu Nation.

JABEE

I'm kind of bothered by
Toybox

It sounds like a modern song that someone like Rihanna would sing with rapping bits. It seems like a song that is out of place with the era. I didn't live then, but it's weird for her to go from not liking an unnamed, developing genre to be using it in a song destined to go Number 1 in 1978. I didn't think it was believable and is a song written for today and not something that would have been popular then.

Tall4Life

I'm kind of bothered by
Toybox

It sounds like a modern song that someone like Rihanna would sing with rapping bits. It seems like a song that is out of place with the era. I didn't live then, but it's weird for her to go from not liking an unnamed, developing genre to be using it in a song destined to go Number 1 in 1978. I didn't think it was believable and is a song written for today and not something that would have been popular then.
I completely 100% agree.

Those animated hits are the worst idea in any Baz Lurhmann production, and he's a man who makes a career out of bad ideas that are usually greater than the sum of his parts.

Anyways watched all five episodes back to back until 4am, and my heart was tense the entire time.

A masterpiece, except
holy hell, everything went to shit at the end. That looks like behind the scenes production drama if there ever was one. Was a whole episode cut for money and needed to be inserted into the last 20 minutes without any closure?

I don't see how anyone can sit and watch something for five hours straight.

So you know this director/showrunner? Yeah those animated portions are definitely the weakest parts.

Finished all of it now. Damn, I was expecting more episodes and episode 5 had way too many animated scenes.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I don't think the animated sequences are a Luhrmann decision, but a budget decision. Even the parts where you think they shouldn't be animated, you think about how they both save shooting time and the cost of hiring the actors to come back to do those quick scenes.

duckroll

I don't think the animated sequences are a Luhrmann decision, but a budget decision. Even the parts where you think they shouldn't be animated, you think about how they both save shooting time and the cost of hiring the actors to come back to do those quick scenes.

Yeah but for a series known in the press as the most expensive show Netflix has made, that sort of obvious cost cutting measure that affects quality makes it go from The Get Down to The Let Down.

yeah to hell with these animated sequences. so far they've only been like a minute long though and not covering any of the musical performances or major confrontations yet. so I hope it stays that way for the last two episodes.

finished Episode 3. That scene when the girls are practicing their dance...whew at Mylene's friend...

and it was so awesome to hear the Get Down brothers perform over an Ennio Morricone sample.

hirokazu

I came in to comment on how much I dislike the crappy animated sequences, looks like I'm not alone. Did they run out of money or something, LOL.

addik

TBH, I really thought it was all PR when they said this show was going to be the most expensive show. They probably factored in costs during its extended pre-prod and all that shit. I mean, the show did probably cost $120mil, but yeah, you could clearly tell not all of that was allocated in production lol.

keenerz

The cartoon sequences got kind of overwhelming to me. Like the parts where Dizzie was involved it made sense, I suppose. But they ended up applying it to literally everyone and it wasnt great.

Also, the characters in the show this season seem to be made insufferable. Like season one there was some cool connection to history in a very interesting way and the problems they were facing I felt made more sense.
This season I feel like everyone's problems was either themselves or each other. Some of the conflict didnt seem to be a big deal at all but was made to seem like a big problem.

Just my own opinion, I think it was on the bottom side of alright but definitely didnt captivate me as much as part 1 did.

Firestorm

The animations were awful and were used at worse places as the series went on =/ Really wish they didn't need to resort to that. I'm thinking we won't get another season. I really enjoyed it otherwise though.

The animations were awful and were used at worse places as the series went on =/ Really wish they didn't need to resort to that. I'm thinking we won't get another season. I really enjoyed it otherwise though.

I feel like we don't need another season.

Man, I really hope we get another season.

I keep waiting on that Regina heel turn. You know it's coming. I thought it was gonna happen
in rehearsal and again in Toybox
. Ah well... like her better than Mylene and
snitch-ass Yolanda
anyways.

brawly

On the fourth episode right now. It's pretty good but as others have said, the animations are terrible and way too long.

Tall4Life

Given how it ends, what would the next season be?

A new group of kids trying to break into the 80s Hip Hop scene?

They could either do a season of another genre emerging, like punk or something, or just move forward with hip hop (though it would be skipping a decade, I think the 90's scene would be way more interesting than the 80's personally)

Primus

I'm kind of bothered by
Toybox

Same here, it was jarring enough so that it just kind of ripped me out of the story entirely. Even the animated sequences were dealable, in a cute, Fat Albert sort of way. When
Mylene is singing Toybox
I was wondering if this was actually some sort of
Nikki Minaj bootleg
or something.

hirokazu

It probably doesn't need one. The background narrative of the beginnings of hip hop in NYC has been told. Where do they go from here?

EDIT: I suppose they could do a new story set against the development of west coast rap.

DrSlek

I watched the second episode last night. The heavy use of the cartoons in this episode really gave me the shits. I had to leave the room.

Piichan

Banned
Watched it all last weekend. Really enjoyed, but I think part 1 was much stronger.

The good:
-lots of good original music (both Mylene stuff and Get Down Bros.)
-Mylene looked even more fine than part 1 my lord

The bad:
- I have no problem with having animated scenes as a concept, but it was executed poorly. Reminded me of Mirror's Edge cutscenes.
- Last episode felt rushed.

The WTF:
-
At the end of the last episode, the blurb about Rapper's Delight being the first successful rap single or whatever, and the fact that it used a backing band. Why are they telling us this? Do they want to imply that Annie's business vision for making rap albums was correct? I mean, she is, but it kind of goes against the rest of the vibe of the show.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
The cartoons are an homage to Dizzy's art and well on the side of Luhrmann's unusual stylistic choices, the scenes most of them depict are goofy heightened realism and would generally look pretty bizarre in live action I'd imagine.

Tall4Life

The cartoons are an homage to Dizzy's art and well on the side of Luhrmann's unusual stylistic choices, the scenes most of them depict are goofy heightened realism and would generally look pretty bizarre in live action I'd imagine.
Spoilers for like episode 2 and the last episode
Zeke signing a contract or Booboo getting arrested for trafficking would look too bizarre in live action? What?

Spoilers for like episode 2 and the last episode
Zeke signing a contract or Booboo getting arrested for trafficking would look too bizarre in live action? What?

Don't forget ol boy who was walking with his girl? I really wondered why that was animated because there was live-action footage of it. Some of these could've been cut without affecting the story.

Sean C

Casting Renee-Elise Goldsberry as
a singer that Mylene is meant to show up was a bad idea, because Goldsberry is just a better, more magnetic performer than Herizen Guardiola, and that showed (which isn't to say Guardiola is bad by any means, but she's just starting out).

Also, why was
Yolanda back with the Soul Madonnas at the end of the season, after selling them out to her parents earlier? There was literally no followup to that.

number11

Those animation scenes really are that bad. Budget reasons I can understand.. but those scenes could have been cut completely.

This is technically the same season as part 1, so I don't get why they decided to switch things up.

hirokazu

- Last episode felt rushed.
I get the feeling the fifth episode was supposed to end on
a high for the Get Down Brothers.
and that were was supposed to be a sixth episode
where things unwind and the Brothers disband while Mylene finds success.

My hunch is that they concatenated all of that into one episode due to budget problems. The pacing was all weird after
the Brothers face off against Cadillac.
It definitely felt rushed to conclusion. I it imagine might not be the case if there was an entire 50 minute episode to wrap things up instead of tacking an extra 25 minutes to episode 5.

Don't forget ol boy who was walking with his girl? I really wondered why that was animated because there was live-action footage of it. Some of these could've been cut without affecting the story.
I think they added more animated bits than they actually needed throughout Part 2 so that the bits where they actually needed it would be less jarring. But all of it was jarring.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Those animation scenes really are that bad. Budget reasons I can understand.. but those scenes could have been cut completely.

This is technically the same season as part 1, so I don't get why they decided to switch things up.

Part of the reasons why it was split into two was due to production issues.

Neverwas

I got the soundtrack over the weekend. Serious lack of get down tracks. Get Down Brothers vs Notorious Three... minus any of the Notorious Three parts, and that's it? Lame.

As far as part 2,
I kind of wonder if there was some kind of falling out with Jaden Smith. Most of his segments are animated, and he's barely with the rest of the crew. Seems like his story was just intended to keep him away.

number11

I was loving the finale.. but what a weird point to end the show on.

I know everything shouldn't be a happy ending, but that was a slight downer to end on. We've been following this crew for 11 episodes, and we only get Ezekiel's success story? Then they end up telling us about the success of a novelty rap record?

bounchfx

almost done with episode 4 now. fucking loving it. The music is fantastic, as is the storytelling. It's just entertaining.

No issues with the cartoon bits either. They're short and fine. Excited for the finale despite the pacing issues mentioned here.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I was loving the finale.. but what a weird point to end the show on.

I know everything shouldn't be a happy ending, but that was a slight downer to end on. We've been following this crew for 11 episodes, and we only get Ezekiel's success story? Then they end up telling us about the success of a novelty rap record?
I mean... he's a mega star rapping in a stadium. This is something we've known since the first episode.

They also give the bonus that Mylene ends up being presumably successful herself, and sings with him.

Everyone else is either dead, in jail, or stuck in a life of crime.

daffy

Banned
Yeah, I'm fine if it ends here. That's how I was feeling during the (last ep)
chase from Cadillac with Mylene and Zeke.
We can just wrap it up now. It clearly will be something completely different if they keep it up.

As far as part 2,
I kind of wonder if there was some kind of falling out with Jaden Smith. Most of his segments are animated, and he's barely with the rest of the crew. Seems like his story was just intended to keep him away.
Not to mention this. I think clearly he probabaly has more going on than the rest of the recurring cast. Also that (last ep)
did he or didnt he death scene was so goddamn tacky like they couldn't just make a solid decision on his death or not SMH
just shows they didnt really know how his schedule would be if they got renewed. That kind of stuff just makes a renewal unnecessary. I don't want shaky hands in the production room honestly.

I'm kind of bothered by
Toybox

But that kind of what Luhrmann does.

bounchfx

just finished it. fucking awesome. thought the ending was fine and if that's the last we get of this series I'm more than satisfied. what a great ride.

Finished last night. It was fun but felt weaker and rushed compared to the first half. The animated stuff really felt like a budget issue. This weird since it is reported that this was the most expensive show Netflix has made. It never felt like it though. Did Baz run off with suitcases of money?
The last scene with the
note about the first hip-hop hit was made with a band felt like a fuck you to the Get Down Brothers.

Herne

I have no idea what they're talking about half the time, but I still love this. Watching episode three tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom