• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Get Down |OT| The boogie down Bronx (Baz Luhrmann - August 12th)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nded

I really enjoyed it, will be tuning in for Part 2.

Almost didn't watch because of the preview tile apparently playing up the teenage romance thing.

Sami+

Just finished it yesterday - really excited for season 2 now. Lots of style in its aesthetic, drama felt authentic, music was obviously amazing, and Zeke's poems were excellent. Good shit.

Nottle

I absolutely loved this show. Hoping to get more of my friends to start watching.

As people have said The Getdown>Stranger things.

Antagon

Antagon

How much of this is musical numbers?

There's barely any songs that are played fully. It's all about music and there's a lot of small shards in here, but it's no glee or something.
Whenever someone in the cast is making music it's directly in service of the story.

There's barely any songs that are played fully. It's all about music and there's a lot of small shards in here, but it's no glee or something.
Whenever someone in the cast is making music it's directly in service of the story.

Thank you. I kept getting the impression it had a lot of musical numbers and I have trouble with hearing song lyrics. Think I'll give this a shot then.

spekkeh

Banned
That Mylene girl can't act very well but boy is she luscious. Really like the show, didn't think I would beforehand. Only problem is I like disco much more than hiphop, hehe. The Grandmaster Flash era is fine, but whenever you have the 'modern day' intros I'm like no whyyy.

tumblr_oc7y7vSj6i1uuwxeno1_540.jpg

Avixph

Hey GAF I just wanted to tell y'all that Netflix is filming scenes for The Get Down in my apartment complex in the Bronx. I'll post pics when I get back home.

Shredderi

Just saw this randomly on netflix one day and decided to give it a go and it was fantastic! Haven't followed the thread so I don't completely understand why there are people comparing this with stranger things.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Baz Luhrmann ‏@bazluhrmann

Final countdown for part 2 of @TheGetDown Season 1... finishing up music tracks at the legendary Electric Lady Studios today. #thegetdown

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Fuck. Do we at least know what Luhrmann directed in the second half? Did he do the finale?

Nothing yet. Although, it looks like if tGD is renewed for another season, he is debating whether to come back:

One pivotal person who may not be up for second installment of Down? Luhrmann himself. The production of Down has been incredibly challenging and long, and Luhrmann admits he may want to dial back his involvement… maybe. “I’m looking for a younger spritely fellow who is capable of carrying the torch,” says the Moulin Rouge director. But he adds, “As much as I want to walk away from it and just say I’ve done my bit, there’s something in me that says I just can’t do that to that to [the cast and crew]. I have to be there to the bitter end until I feel I’ve done everything I can to let them be everything they can be in the show. And then my job’s done. But until then, it’s my life at the moment.”

Also, S2 will probably take place in the 80s.

Need that second part now. The most I have enjoyed a netflix show for sure. Only one I could manage to rewatch as well (unless last chance u counts or not since that is basically a doc)

Nas' rap narration is such a good approach to telling this story and the production design is dope too.

El Topo

As bad as this show is, when it gets good, it gets really good. The
Star Wars scene
from the last episode...

Edit:
That said, despite all my criticism, I'm excited for the second part.

Neverwas

Yeah, Netflix put out a little video for part 2 today (can't find a youtube link), says April 7th. I thought it was originally supposed to come back this month, so that's a bummer. I'm hyped, regardless, though.

Is there a thread for Part 2?

Man, part 2....that ending
looks like the last season ever? there is no god confirmed. FML

I've been listending to hip hop all my life, so I can't even explain how much I enjoyed this show. Best show ever

Just saw the final episode.

Me and my gf are just reeling it ended that way, such a left turn in the last part of the episode into pretty dark territory.

It really feels like they shot it expecting a second season.

Still I have to applaud the ambition of the show and feel like it will stand the test of time as a really entertaining fascinating experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom