• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Get Down Part II |OT| Same story, second verse - Netflix 4/7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Herne

Just finished it, loved every moment of it. All of the cast were amazingly good, especially Jaden Smith in the role of Dizzee.

Very surprised how things ended with Cadillac and Shaolin individually. Did not expect that.

airjoca

I'm kind of bothered by
Toybox

It sounds like a modern song that someone like Rihanna would sing with rapping bits. It seems like a song that is out of place with the era. I didn't live then, but it's weird for her to go from not liking an unnamed, developing genre to be using it in a song destined to go Number 1 in 1978. I didn't think it was believable and is a song written for today and not something that would have been popular then.

To me it feels like something like Madonna would sing 15 years later

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
I feel like it was more a dig at Shao if anything
or, more positively, a way to show people that they 'figured it out''

This was a very pointed jab at Rappers' Delight which amongst people who were there at the beginning absolutely hate. They played the part they did to show how they stole rhymes from Cas, too.

It was shade of the highest caliber.

TheFlow

Banned
Finished this with my gf last night.

The Songs/performances are hot fire and the whole Milan family struggle was good drama.

Rest was definitely a step down. :/.

duckroll

Finished episode 3. I feel like the tempo for every single episode in Part 2 so far has been to dangle false hope in front of everyone for the first half of an episode, show that things could be getting better, or bad things that happened before have solutions after all, and then crush all those hopes and plunge everyone deeper into the hole in the second half of the episode. Kinda painful to watch.

breakfuss

My girl likes this for some reason but I think it's corny as fuck. I know everyone likes to say they cringe at everything these days...but I actually did.

duckroll

EPISODE 4 HOLY FUCK WOW FUCK. That was everything I loved about The Get Down. Crazy, electric, schizophrenic, kickass songs, insane energy, raw, intense, in your face.

If only every episode in Pt2 was like this.

Menaged

EPISODE 4 HOLY FUCK WOW FUCK. That was everything I loved about The Get Down. Crazy, electric, schizophrenic, kickass songs, insane energy, raw, intense, in your face.

If only every episode in Pt2 was like this.

Just finished the show, and loved it.
Quoted this post because I totally agree. I think it might've been the best episode of the show - just fantastic.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Just finished the series. Too bad about the animated parts (although I kind of warmed up to them with time), but loved it overall!

Oni Jazar

I enjoyed the series a lot. Yes the cartoons were overused but I got the fat Albert vibe they were going for. Those complaining about Toy Box sounding anachronistic needs to realize that most the songs are that way for better or worse. No way those get down rhymes would be like that in the 70s.

I loved the performances the music the drama all of it. The whole Rappers Delight end was very unsettling though. Makes you rethink the entire ending. Not sure if that's good or bad.

FreezeSSC

The last scene with the
note about the first hip-hop hit was made with a band felt like a fuck you to the Get Down Brothers.

that songs a cover of chic -
good times so I thought it was interesting since they did it with a band I always assumed they just sampled it. Kinda makes the sugarhill gang seem like sell outs which I think they were regarded as when they first came out.

duckroll

Finally finished this. The last episode was weird as hell. The pace and tone was all over the place and the animated bits got really annoying. I dunno how I feel about the ending at all. It was conclusive, some character arcs were concluded, but overall it feels a bit like a slap in the face of the entire series. Almost like... they gave up while making it. :/

Baz Luhrmann totally seems to have abandoned the second half of the series. Everything that was super energetic about the first half which I loved, is mostly missing from Part II. Episode 4 is the only one which had all the hallmarks of the series' strengths.

Yeah, I dunno, what a disappointment.

Finally finished this. The last episode was weird as hell. The pace and tone was all over the place and the animated bits got really annoying. I dunno how I feel about the ending at all. It was conclusive, some character arcs were concluded, but overall it feels a bit like a slap in the face of the entire series. Almost like... they gave up while making it. :/

Baz Luhrmann totally seems to have abandoned the second half of the series. Everything that was super energetic about the first half which I loved, is mostly missing from Part II. Episode 4 is the only one which had all the hallmarks of the series' strengths.

Yeah, I dunno, what a disappointment.

really? I thought the second half was amazing as well and had more musical punch. I feel like there was probably some budget cuts hence the cartoons, but other than that, I thought it was great and the cartoons didnt really bother me since it had that fat albert vibe

I feel like it was more a dig at Shao if anything
or, more positively, a way to show people that they 'figured it out''

it had alot less to do with shao and the get down brothers and making the point of why The DJ in hiphop lost it's "King" status in hiphop and how the MC became the king. In essence, based on that ending, thats a big theme of the show. Probably due to flash, hercs,and bambataas real life input. When hiphop started, the DJ was the king. When hiphop hit radio, the DJ became insignificant compared to the MC and the MC became King.

Ironically, due to EDM, the DJ is becoming king again.

DrSlek

I thought it was only supposed to have 2 parts anyway.

Part 2 certainly didn't live up to part 1, but I think that was probably due to budget constraints.

duckroll

After finishing Part II I'm not surprised at all that it's canned. There was a grand total of one great episode in it. Huge disappointment after Part I. I think the production team expected it to get canned too. Just didn't feel like they had their heart in it. And for a 120 million dollar series, it sure didn't look like it.

JSevere

I just finished the show earlier today and I was wondering if they were going forward with a second season, guess not

last ep wrapped up the storylines for all of the characters pretty definitively though it was messy
Zeke goes to Yale and eventually becomes a professional rapper,
Mylene becomes a star without her father tying her down, Dizzee is dead I guess, Cadillac quits the drug game to focus on his label with Shao taking his place
so I'm fine. whole series was a blast to watch

LotusHD

Banned
After finishing Part II I'm not surprised at all that it's canned. There was a grand total of one great episode in it. Huge disappointment after Part I. I think the production team expected it to get canned too. Just didn't feel like they had their heart in it. And for a 120 million dollar series, it sure didn't look like it.

Yea... can't say I'm surprised either. Was not feeling it.

Sandfox

I blame the animated stuff on Jaden Smith. They used those to pad out his appearances since he obviously wasn't on set with the others a lot of the time.

hirokazu

It seemed to me that they were planning to end it after the first season, so I never expected a second. If they said, oh, let's do a second, I'd be surprised and look forward to it, but when I never had that expectation, this news doesn't really mean anything to me.

duckroll

I think the popularity of the show is pretty telling when two months later this OT can't even get 150 posts. It's totally dead in the water.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I think the popularity of the show is pretty telling when two months later this OT can't even get 150 posts. It's totally dead in the water.

Yup. I posted this in the OT for part I, but I thought this would be a show that got great word of mouth. It is a shame it was never really big.

Grateful the show isn't being drawn out.

The first half is one of the most triumphant run of episodes I've ever witnessed, and the second half turned into such a complete mess in the last episode. It felt like they filmed an inconclusive extra episode that was supposed to set up another season, then tried to cram it all into the last 20 minutes of the series and somehow undid some of the closure they just accomplished.

The budget inflation and clusterfuck production finally caught up with them, and I lost all faith that they could make that lightning in a bottle happen again.

RIP Shao.

I hope this serves as a big break for the entire cast. I can't believe they found kids that talented.

First half is my favorite thing Netflix has done yet for their tv series.

Second half was.....yeah who gives a shit about that second half. Very disappointing to hear its cancelled but it feels like they already dropped the ball creatively anyways.

it would have been nice to see if they could come back and improve but after that ending I wasn't particularly wanting for it.

duckroll

http://deadline.com/2017/05/baz-luhrmann-the-get-down-cancellation-netflix-1202101854/

From Baz himself:
Dear fans of The Get Down,

I wanted to speak to you with an open heart and just acknowledge how humbled and moved that not only I, but all who have given so much to this production, have been by your passion and commitment to see the next chapter of The Get Down go back into production in the immediate future. I want to explain to you why that is unlikely to happen…

When I was asked to come to the center of The Get Down to help realize it, I had to defer a film directing commitment for at least two years. This exclusivity has understandably become a sticking point for Netflix and Sony, who have been tremendous partners and supporters of the show. It kills me that I can’t split myself into two and make myself available to both productions. I feel so deeply connected to all those who I have worked and collaborated with on this remarkable experience.

All sorts of things have been thrown around for the future… even a stage show (can you imagine that? I can, concert version anyone? Next summer? Just saying.) But the simple truth is, I make movies. And the thing with movies is, that when you direct them, there can be nothing else in your life. Since The Get Down stopped, I have actually been spending the last few months preparing my new cinematic work…

The cast of this show is unique and exceptional. Apart from our stellar veteran actors, I can’t tell you how privileged we all felt to have found such young, new talents, many of whom are now starring in motion pictures, creating music, and taking tremendous strides in their careers. Our cast, writers, musical collaborators, choreographers, camera team, directing and post-production teams all felt the profound privilege to have been embraced by the borough of The Bronx and the Hip-Hop community at large. But most especially by the forefathers of Hip-Hop: Grandmaster Flash, Kool Herc, Afrika Bambaataa, Grandmaster Caz, Kurtis Blow, Raheim and all the b-boys, b-girls, graffiti-writers, MC’s and DJ’s that made this story possible. As well as the keepers of the flame and guiding lights, such as Nas. We experienced things together that I will never forget. All of us in The Get Down family have been touched by this precious mission of telling the pre-history of a form of culture that would go on to change not only the city, but the world.

As for the real future of the show, the spirit of The Get Down, and the story it has begun to tell… it has its own life. One that lives on today and will continue to be told somewhere, somehow, because of you, the fans and the supporters.

Humbled and honored, and to quote Mylene’s beautiful ballad, “I’ll see you on the other-side…”

Best,

Baz

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Why's it being reported that it was canceled after one season? Is Part II not considered a second season?

addik

Pity. I fear Sense8 is next.

To be fair, The Get Down wrapped its story pretty neatly and wasn't really hit or anything. At least Sense8 has a niche online and hasn't finished its story yet. If Netflix were to cancel it, I'm sure they'd fund a proper ending to the series at least.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
To be fair, The Get Down wrapped its story pretty neatly and wasn't really hit or anything. At least Sense8 has a niche online and hasn't finished its story yet. If Netflix were to cancel it, I'm sure they'd fund a proper ending to the series at least.

Marco Polo wasn't given an ending and I'm sure it had the same niche following.

mm04

Yeah, I thought it was going to only be 1 season to begin with. The wrap-up at the end was fine, but I agree with everyone that the second batch of episodes was a massive drop in quality from the initial batch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom