• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Grand Tour |OT| ...of the world

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flo_Evans

Celebrity brain crash is getting lame already but I like the American.

"Turbos are gods way of saying you need more cylinders"

I hope the involve him more in the challenges like they used to do with the stig. One of my all time favorite episode was the old sports car challenge when the stig beats them all in a modern minivan.

Just got around to watching the latest episode and it was the best so far. Like others mentioned the lack of "The American" helped the flow of the show. I do also hope they do away with the Celebrity BS. Everyone watches because of the awesome cinematography and the gangs chemistry. Give us more of that.

RoKKeR

qXhc.png

All of my hype.

Pinewood

I feel Grand Tour is getting in track after the first two mediocre episodes.

Not convinced on the American yet, but I feel its going to end up fine. I feel that the first episodes had too much banter from a driver and it felt kinda off, but having him say "British Motor Works" or whatever works.

Morocco was brilliant, cant wait for the Christmas special and the 2 parter on New Years Eve

Brandson

My two boys (aged 5 and 2) really loved the battleship game sequence. The older one couldn't believe they were allowed to do that to real cars. They both wanted to watch it multiple times.

I put on some classic Top Gear events (car soccer, Winter Olympics) after that. My oldest asked what happened to the hosts of the show. They suddenly looked so different. I told him a decade of making this show did that to them.

I hope they make more car-sized versions of sports/games. My kids like those the best. Even though they don't do as much for me, I like being able to watch a non-animated show with my kids.

tbm24

Very much enjoyed this episode. I'm feeling like it's my favorite thus far. The Mustang Focus RS segment was fun as well as the in studio banter and Christmas gift jokes. I missed their gift ideas every Christmas. James stole the episode with his segment however. Some of the moments they caught on film of the cars got my adrenaline pumping instantly.

Nydius

Celebrity brain crash is getting lame already but I like the American.

I personally can't stand either. The Celebrity Brain Crash bit wore thin after the second episode. It would be as if Monty Python's Flying Circus did a specific sketch EVERY week. Imagine how tired you'd get of the Argument Clinic skit if it had been played every week on the show.

As for "The American" I generally laugh with the trio during their occasional trashing of American culture but integrating a constant running stereotype of a "southern American hick that thinks everything's communist" is annoying af. I'd rather he shut the hell up and just do the damn laps like The Stig used to do and leave the banter and comedy to Clarkson, Hammond, and May.

Oh that dig from Hammond when driving through London about paying respect for the fallen and going quietly passed the Cenotaph.

Good episode overall, loved the Ford GT bit.

Acidote

After not having posted in the thread for a while or even read it, I have to say that I've really enjoyed the last two episodes (last week and today). Probably the two I've enjoyed most. I'm curious to see what are the opinions here and I'm going to check them out right now.

Lima

This is the Christmas episode guys.

The two part Namibia special which has nothing to do with Christmas releases 30th and 31st.

jett

D-Member
The GT40 is my absolute favorite car of all-time, so I quite enjoyed May's mini-documentary. That was really fantastic.

Yeah, I think this was my favorite episode so far. A couple of others have been close, but that James May segment at the end completely pushed this one over the edge.

Tall4Life

Ahahahahaha didn't realize Amazon had a different section for the UHD videos. Was watching the 1080p videos this whole time.

Also, on the UHD videos, do I have to enable HDR+ on my TV to get the effect, or is it already baked into the video?

The story of Ford and Ferrari at Le Mans is one of my all-time favorite car stories, so it was unbelievably cool to see it on the show like that, especially with James driving one of the ACTUAL GT-40s- that shit is NUTS. Still adore the GT too, though obviously I'd have to sell both my kidneys and at least one lung to afford it, lol.

cilonen

Perhaps this is something missed by non UK viewers but how is that a dig?

The Chris Evans new Top Gear got in major trouble with the press for having Ken Block do donuts round the Cenotaph with Matt Le Blanc in his Hoonigan Mustang.

So much so that they never broadcast that particular segment.

Definitely the best episode in the series so far

And I'm glad they brought back the silly Christmas gifts segment from Top Gear, it was consistently one of my favorites.

Metroid

My favourite episode so far. Loved the "documentary". Looking forward to the Namibia special. Hope it catches on the greatness of the Top Gear ones.

PaulLFC

Is it my TV / app or is episode 6 not HDR? The other episodes have played fine (and looked great) in HDR, but episode 6 is only 4K, no HDR. Hopefully just a one off.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
The first episode of The Grand Tour is supposed to be free for all, as in none Prime users, for this weekend I believe. Not sure if US-only.

I think outside of episode 2 (which I still laughed at a good deal) the show has been great. Not all the studio/in-tent jokes hit their mark, but most of the films have been good. Really liked the Ford/Ferrari history lessons from today's episode, fascinating stuff.

Lima

Holy crap everything was amazing this time. You know it's good when even the American hits all the right notes while driving the Mustang. What a fantastic episode.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
holy shit the branded christmas gifts segment

i'm in tears, how did I not see Hammond and May's coming

Yet another great episode.

The GT40 is my absolute favorite car of all-time, so I quite enjoyed May's mini-documentary. That was really fantastic.
As did I.

Like any other motorhead, I love the GT40, but for me the 60s P series are some of my favourite race cars of all time. Some of my earliest exposure to what a race car were those cars or at least caricatures of them.

7521315526_1fe34001d8_b.jpg

Fox318

That was a fantastic episode.

The Ford vs Ferrari story is one of my favorite car tales.

Also both the Mustang and Focus are fucking fantastic cars.

I really wish they would just have the driver talk normally.

Also how the fuck is he able to fit his clubs in a mustang? If he is folding the seat down then what's the difference between the focus?

Nodnol

Probably my favorite episode yet. A little bit of everything, and James' Le Mans segment was superb.

I wonder if that was something they always wanted to do, but couldn't afford the insurance on those two beauties?

Like any other motorhead, I love the GT40, but for me the 60s P series are some of my favourite race cars of all time. Some of my earliest exposure to what a race car were those cars or at least caricatures of them.

Hopefully you've already seen this, but if not!

https://youtu.be/awArTC8iQ3Q

It does a great job of showing that these cars were made, literally, by hand.

There are tons of amazing videos on this channel, btw.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom