• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Great GAF Guide to Side Scrolling Adventures

By far and wide my favorite category of games.

So many favorites up there as well as so many others I want to play.

Though I disagree with some of your additions to your list.

MiamiWesker said:
I tried out the Aquaria demo, pretty damn cool. Its massive, I am about an hour and 20 minutes into it and I dont know where it will end. The game starts off simple you are this fish woman and you swim around avoiding bad fish and the like. You have this ring of songs, when you play them in a certain order you use a power, like create a shield. You explore this huge underwater world, many areas seem blocked off, classic Metroid presentation. Soon you gain the power to move objects, this gives you access to more areas. Finally i get to this temple area where I find a power to transform into an energy form which allows me to shoot out fire balls. Finally the action kicks off and its great. You are swiming around a maze like underwater setting shooting fireballs at any enemies that come at you. The full game has many more forms to turn into. I am impressed.

And just why didn't you try out the demo when I suggested it a million times in the Press? :angry face

Enk

makes good threads.
Prince of Persia 2d series (1989 on nearly everything)
by Brøderbund
938987511-00.jpg

945421838-00.gif
prince-of-persia-01.jpg

(Persian, Slasher, Fantasy, Platforming, Atmospheric)

-Video
-One of the pioneers of using rotoscoped animation in games
-Deadly traps!
-One hour time limit!
-Was later remade in 2008 with 3d visuals on XBLA and PSN

More info HERE

Out of This World/Another World/Heart of the Alien (1991 for a ton of systems)
by Eric Chahi
FREE!
AnotherWorld_Poster.jpg

anotherworld2.gif
anotherworld1.gif

(Persian, Slasher, Shooting, Sci-fi, Platforming, Atmospheric)

-Video
-Chahi later went on to make Heart of Darkness
-Chahi reworked the game for Windows in 2006 with hi-res visuals
-Sequel was not created by Chahi and was only released on the Sega CD
-Grab that version for free HERE

More info HERE

Flashback (1992 on many systems)
by Delphine Software Int
256px-Flashback_box_art.jpg

flashback.png
flashback2.jpg

(Persian, Shooter, Sci-fi, Atmospheric, Platforming)

-Video
-Best selling French game of all time!
-Fluid, rotoscoped animation
-The sequel, Fade to Black, was a full 3d game
-The second sequel, Flashback Legends, was canceled when the developer went under :-(

More info HERE

Blackthorne (1994 SNES, DOS, 32X, MAC, GBA)
by Blizzard
BlackthorneSNES.jpg

blackthorn3.gif
blackthorne.gif

(Persian, Shooter, Sci-fi, Platforming, Atmospheric)

-Video
-Protangonist Kyle has the amazing ability to shoot behind his back
-Platforming in the vein of Prince of Persia

More info HERE

Oddworld: Abe's Oddysey and Exodus (1997 PS1, DOS, Win, GB)
by Oddworlds Inhabitants
63ha1ol.jpg

screenshot219_2.jpg
oddworld.jpg

(Persian, Platforming, Sci-fi, Atmospheric)

-Video
-"Follow me"
-"Ok"
-"Pffbft"

More info on Oddworld HERE

Heart of Darkness (1998 PS1, Windows)
by Amazing Studio
heart-of-darkness-54533_366415.jpg

936581593-00.gif
1011476820-00.gif

(Persian, Shooter, Platforming, Fantasy, Sci-fi, Atmospheric)

-Video
-From Eric Chahi, the creator of Another World
-First game to have its score orchestrated
-Took six years to develop

More info HERE

Enk

makes good threads.
Thanks everyone! I'm going through the suggestions one by one and to see if they fit on the list (Lost Vikings is more of a level based puzzle game, so it doesn't fit in). I'll be adding those games on the next update. Also thanks Tiktaalik for suggesting The Underside! I very much look forward to playing it.

bounchfx said:
holy shit. huge list. I, however, am overwhelmed and am assuming that most of these are probably ass. Where's the Best Of section?

I thought about having some sort of marker on the ones I would recommend but there's too many! I'll see about compiling a list of the ones I would for beginners.

Momar said:
Holy canoly, this thread is awesome.

Also, this may sound random, but Enk, did you ever play FFXI?

Why yes, yes I did. I played on the PC for several months and then again on 360 during the free trial period. Haven't touched the game since. Were you in my party at some point?

Haunted said:
William and Sly is a free, short flash game in the same vein I played recently.

I ended up playing through this and quite enjoyed it quite a bit. I'm not going to add it to the list due to its length, the lack of character building, and that you're only exploring one area. It's fun little distraction though with a soothing atmosphere.

SiegfriedFM said:
Would Flashback qualify for this list?

Doh, can't believe I forgot Flashback and Out of this World. :-/

Blizzard

Banned
Wow, you added the two I suggested. I didn't even realize there was a free legal (non-emulated, since you might have issues with the Mac BIOS or whatever) version of Dark Castle. There's also Beyond Dark Castle, I wonder if there was a free version of that. It was better than Dark Castle in that it was bigger and allowed you to use multiple save slots midgame.

And now I really want to play the old Prince of Persia again... Those original 2.5d graphics weren't half bad, and the swordfighting was kind of cool too. :D

Johnas

Nice thread Enk. For a long period of my videogaming life, gaming was basically synonymous with side-scrolling adventures.

I'm pleasantly surprised to find that I've played quite a few of the games listed. There are some old classics that I really would like to try at some point though, like Out of This World, Flashback, and Demon's Crest.

HUELEN10

Would Wario Land 2/3 be considered side-scrolling adventures, or just side-scrolling platformers? Honest question.

Actually, the Japan-only Adventure Island IV for Famicom was also exploration-based, and was released about six months before Super Adventure Island II.

You should also add Hebereke for Famicom (aka Ufouria) to the list. It's one of the few 8-bit games of its ilk I've actually completed.

Enk

makes good threads.
red shoe paul said:
C'mon guys, Altered Beast, holla!

umm... no. no holla.

Momar said:
Hmm... couple months, eh. Was it on Leviathan? I knew a guy named Enk in my linkshell, and he was a cool guy, and you're a cool guy, and that's that. :)
It might've been me since I was on Leviathan. Small world etc etc.

-PXG- said:
Awesome thread, though OP is missing a lot of games.

Oddworld? A Boy and His Blob?

OddWorld- Check!
A Boy and His Blob - Was already there. :p

Blizzard said:
There were also fun sidescrolling jump/shoot games on the black-and-white Mac -- dark castle and beyond dark castle, though I imagine hardly anyone here would have ever heard of them.

You'd be surprise. There's quite a few people on here that's played Dark Castle. I used to play a ton of it on the C64 and Genesis. Never got around to playing Beyond though and I wihs I had a Mac to play Return.

Segata Sanshiro said:
A few lesser known ones from the handhelds:

Shantae
Scorpion King: Sword of Osiris
Spyro: Eternal Night
Spider-Man: Web of Shadows for

I've always heard praises on Shantae but never knew it was a Metroidvania game. Now after viewing the vids I really want to seek this out and give it a go. Spyro and Spiderman are also pretty impressive looking too. The Spiderman game seems especially fun.

Flying_Phoenix said:
Though I disagree with some of your additions to your list.

Like which ones exactly?

Father_Brain said:
You should also add Hebereke for Famicom (aka Ufouria) to the list. It's one of the few 8-bit games of its ilk I've actually completed.

o_O Wow, I've never heard of Hebereke.It looks like a lot of fun and exactly the type of game I'm looking for. I thank you greatly for suggesting it.

Enk said:
I've always heard praises on Shantae but never knew it was a Metroidvania game. Now after viewing the vids I really want to seek this out and give it a go. Spyro and Spiderman are also pretty impressive looking too. The Spiderman game seems especially fun.

Spyro is a pretty good game, but I wouldn't say it belongs in this thread. The combat makes up 90% of the gameplay, and while you can backtrack to previously completed levels, the vast majority of that stuff is optional.

schick85

Spelunkers for Famicom (NES) and Playstation 3. Too bad not many people are aware of it's existence here in the states.

2a851mu.jpg

16ify3t.jpg

So many great games.
I do wonder how you can exclude stuff like Ghouls and Ghosts, etc. It seems strange that you include some 2d rpgs or some 2d action games and not others.

But EVO, Out of this world, Flashback and even DARK CASTLE are included, wow.

I now realise after getting net access and a few VC titles that 2D is / was the best era of games. Boy and his Blob Wii is going to be great and i got to get Wario, hand drawn Earthworm Jim inspired animation ftw.

Enk

makes good threads.
tintinrudd said:
So many great games.
I do wonder how you can exclude stuff like Ghouls and Ghosts, etc. It seems strange that you include some 2d rpgs or some 2d action games and not others.

Basically the list is to only include the Metroidvania style games, and I'm being rather loose with the term here. Most of the games on this list involve some sort of exploration elements or RPG-esque character building. Games like Odin Sphere, EVO and Actraiser, while not Metroidvanian in their world design, I've included because of their RPG/SIM elements. Games like Prince of Persia, Flashback, and Blackthorne, while lacking in the character building, I've included for their explorable worlds.

The most questionable games on the list would probably be Out of This World, Heart of Darkness, and Oddworld. I've included those because their worlds feel seemless and cinematic enough that it does feel like you're exploring these alien worlds even though you're just running straight through them.

If I were to include standard side scrolling games like Ghouls n' Ghosts, Astyanax, and Legendary Axe, I might as well include Mario, Bubsy, Plok, Ninja Gaiden and every action side scroller out there. That list would be insanely massive and would be rather pointless. This list is pretty much for those who like the Metroids and the Castlevanias and want something similar to that style, depth, or seemless experience.

schick85

Enk said:
Basically the list is to only include the Metroidvania style games, and I'm being rather loose with the term here. Most of the games on this list involve some sort of exploration elements or RPG-esque character building. Games like Odin Sphere, EVO and Actraiser, while not Metroidvanian in their world design, I've included because of their RPG/SIM elements. Games like Prince of Persia, Flashback, and Blackthorne, while lacking in the character building, I've included for their explorable worlds.

The most questionable games on the list would probably be Out of This World, Heart of Darkness, and Oddworld. I've included those because their worlds feel seemless and cinematic enough that it does feel like you're exploring these alien worlds even though you're just running straight through them.

If I were to include standard side scrolling games like Ghouls n' Ghosts, Astyanax, and Legendary Axe, I might as well include Mario, Bubsy, Plok, Ninja Gaiden and every action side scroller out there. That list would be insanely massive and would be rather pointless. This list is pretty much for those who like the Metroids and the Castlevanias and want something similar to that style, depth, or seemless experience.
How about Astroboy: Omega Factor for the GBA? It has all the elements you're looking for. It might look like a Metal Slug type run and gun game, but I assure you it's not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJZxf7sklwQ

edit: arrhhhh @ the number of edits...

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Enk said:

Heh, until this post, I was gonna question Out of this World and Flashback (though I'm an insane fan of both), but you answered my questions.

But this is an awesome list! And I had no idea that Faxanadu and Legacy of the Wizard were related. Those are two of my favorite SNES RPGs. Such a great list of free games to check out too.

Also, would Ys 3 for the SNES fit?
Edit: Blah... I'd always put an apostrophe there, no wonder my search failed.

Natetan

tintinrudd said:
So many great games.

EVO isn't entirely linear, within each era, you can backtrack to different areas (sometimes you have to), and your character grows within each era. it does strattle sort of 2-d action with 2-d adventure.

flashback and its bretheren allow exploration in different areas, but don't really have the growth element to it. i think they are more action than adventure.

How about Blades of Vengeance (Genesis), Galahad (Genesis), and Risky Woods (Genesis/Amiga/PC/Atari ST), all from EA? They're not well known games, definitely not among EA's better-known titles, but all three are pretty interesting... well, two of them are at least. They're all definitely on the edge between normal action/platformers and something that would qualify for this thread, but they're worth looking into at least, to see if you think they do. All three are fantasy-themed games.

Blades of Vengeance is one I first played several years ago, and as soon as I played it I knew I had to own a copy. I just found one a few days ago, and am really loving it... maybe I should make a thread, when I get farther. :) It's a two player co-op sidescrolling action-platformer with an item system, pretty much. There are three playable characters, each different. I can't call it an RPG, but you do collect items and money, and then use that money to buy items in the shop between levels. There are also a couple of powerups to buy at certain points that increase your health and weapon and such. The graphics are fantastic and the music pretty good too. There are hidden areas to find in the levels, and some exploration is required at points. But is it 'adventure' enough for this category? I'm not sure... probably, by the not-too-high standards you have here. Either way it's definitely worth playing though! This might me my favorite EA game on the Genesis (though I don't have General Chaos).

Galahad's a good game as well. It's another action-platformer with a few light RPG elements, and it's a pretty good one... the graphics and sound are pretty good, but not quite as great as Blades of Vengeance. It's also one player only and there is just one character. You have to explore the levels to find items, powerups, money, and the path forwards, so it's not just a linear platformer. You need to find a specific item in order to unlock the exit, then find the exit to go to the next level. Shops sell items which you buy with the gold you collected. Good stuff!

Risky Woods is simpler, more confusing, and probably less fun. You need a guide to understand this one, for what the various items you can pick up do (some of them should be avoided, but it's not immediately obvious which of these those are!)... not sure if it'd really count for this thread either, it would depend on where you draw the line I think. You go to the right, pretty much; this doesn't have the exploration elements of the games above. Apart from the "figuring out what the items do" frustration, you just go right, kill stuff, and die because it's hard. I'd probably leave this one of the list really, myself, but maybe try it.

In addition to those, writing Galahad's description there made me think of Apogee's great classic 1990 title Dark Ages, which is now freeware. It was the first PC shareware game with a Soundblaster soundtrack, and it was one of my favorites of Apogee's early '90s titles. It's pretty much a platformer with RPG elements. In the game, you start out by going right, but can go left as well within each stage. Your goal in each stage is finding an old man, finding the item he wants, and then following his lead to the door that just opened up that goes to the next area. There are no "Level X" labels in between areas, so it feels seamless even though you cannot return to past stages. There are various powerups to collect in the game that give you new weapons, increase the length of your health bar, and increase your weapon power. You can also save whenever you want, as with all Apogee games, though there is only one save slot. It's a great game, really. The only negatives are that it's quite short and that episodes 2 and 3 just reuse episode 1's graphics and music entirely, adding absolutely no new game elements apart from the new level maps. Still, very good stuff, in my opinion.

Whether or not they fit your definition, and yeah all four of these are somewhat borderline, they're worth trying for sure. Am I just thinking of fantasy games and not ones that fit? That's quite possible, not sure...

Galactic Fork said:
Also, would Y's 3 for the SNES fit?

Ys III is already on the list.

I have a question though, why Wizards & Warriors III but not the other games (I, II, or GB)? Do they have less 'adventure' elements? I never really liked those games, so I haven't spent much time with them... just because it doesn't use levels, but has open areas? But all of the games sort of have exploration... I guess it depends on your definition. I agree, it is really hard to come up with a definition here that doesn't keep stretching and stretching and including more and more and more games, to the point of irrelevance... but where do you draw the line? Quite tough.

Oh, on a related note, why is Hurrican on this list but not the first two Turrican games? They have lots of exploration! Yes, they have standard levels, but the levels are absolutely huge and you can spend a lot of time wandering around finding stuff and exploring. Super Turrican, Mega Turrican, and Super Turrican 2 each cut back on that more than the last one, but the original two games should absolutely fit if Hurrican does, and maybe the latter ones as well if just by proxy of being part of the series (by Super Turrican 2 there was almost no exploration left, pretty much just the run & gun shooting).

Enk

makes good threads.
A Black Falcon said:
Lots of words.

Thanks for the suggestions. I originally thought of putting Blades of Vengeance on the list but felt it was too linear and lite on the RPG elements to make it. I do very much like that game though, just thought it was a bit too straight forward. I'll have to sit down and check out Legend of Galahad and Dark Ages at some point. Dark Ages seems like it could fit the mold.

Where I draw the line on what goes on the list is pretty tough. In my mind the list is made for the people who are looking for experiences similar to the Metroidvanias, where the world opens up as you grow in power. And if it's a game where you're not gaining new abilities, how open is the world that you are exploring? I also want to try to avoid stuff that is too linear even if it has character growth. Games like AstroBoy, Alissa Dragoon, and Gradius have ways of upgrading your characters throughout the game, but they are mostly linear affairs. I do think I've might've crossed the line by adding something like Another World and Oddworld to the list, but I'll make those the very few exceptions just due to their presentation.

Wizards and Warriors III came from the older thread where I originally chose it over the other two mainly because it was their attempt at turning the game into an interconnected adventure similar to Metroid. Honestly, I thought the game was poorly made and felt the first two games were much better. Maybe I should just turn that part into Wizards and Warriors series since the first two games did have some character building, large levels, and many moments of collecting specific items/powers to get past certain points.

About Turrican and Hurrican, the more I think about it I will probably end up adding Turrican I&II to the list. Turrican is pretty much a hyper and nastier form of Metroid. The initial reason I added Hurrican over Turrican I&II was that Hurrican had a lot more in the way of leveling up your weapons and building your arsenal. I do suppose Turrican I&II (and to a lesser extent Super) should be added to the list since each level are essentially mini worlds and there's tons to explore.

Enk said:
Thanks for the suggestions. I originally thought of putting Blades of Vengeance on the list but felt it was too linear and lite on the RPG elements to make it. I do very much like that game though, just thought it was a bit too straight forward. I'll have to sit down and check out Legend of Galahad and Dark Ages at some point. Dark Ages seems like it could fit the mold.

Where I draw the line on what goes on the list is pretty tough. In my mind the list is made for the people who are looking for experiences similar to the Metroidvanias, where the world opens up as you grow in power. And if it's a game where you're not gaining new abilities, how open is the world that you are exploring? I also want to try to avoid stuff that is too linear even if it has character growth. Games like AstroBoy, Alissa Dragoon, and Gradius have ways of upgrading your characters throughout the game, but they are mostly linear affairs. I do think I've might've crossed the line by adding something like Another World and Oddworld to the list, but I'll make those the very few exceptions just due to their presentation.

Wizards and Warriors III came from the older thread where I originally chose it over the other two mainly because it was their attempt at turning the game into an interconnected adventure similar to Metroid. Honestly, I thought the game was poorly made and felt the first two games were much better. Maybe I should just turn that part into Wizards and Warriors series since the first two games did have some character building, large levels, and many moments of collecting specific items/powers to get past certain points.

About Turrican and Hurrican, the more I think about it I will probably end up adding Turrican I&II to the list. Turrican is pretty much a hyper and nastier form of Metroid. The initial reason I added Hurrican over Turrican I&II was that Hurrican had a lot more in the way of leveling up your weapons and building your arsenal. I do suppose Turrican I&II (and to a lesser extent Super) should be added to the list since each level are essentially mini worlds and there's tons to explore.

Yeah, Turricans 1 and 2 should definitely be there. Wizards & Warriors... I don't know, your call. Why count that though and not Blades of Vengeance? It is true that in Blades of Vengeance items are only used for attack and healing and such and aren't needed to progress, you just progress by wandering around or heading forwards along the usually obvious path, and there's only like one item in the game which actually gives you a permanent ability up... but there is one. Does the first Wizards & Warriors really have more of these elements? As I said, I haven't played those games much at all. What you say there does make it sound like it has a bit more, which I'd think would make it a more clear inclusion.

Galahad I'll guess you probably won't count, with what you said there, but should definitely check it out for sure anyway. It's a good, somewhat unknown game.

I would agree about something like Alisia Dragoon, there is a bit of exploration and powerups and health increases, but yeah, the focus there is clearly on the action and blasting enemies... it's a different kind of game. Alisia Dragoon is an amazing game, though, awesome stuff! I guess Blades of Vengeance is in that category, except its slow, deliberate pace does make it feel quite different from something like that.

Oh, Dark Ages can be downloaded here: http://www.3drealms.com/downloads.html (direct link). Use DOSBox of course to get it working. With the newest DOSBox (0.73) it will run fine, but it's probably best with the speed reduced a bit (control-F11 to decrease/control-F12 to increase). The game was designed for quite slow computers and on anything above like a mid 486 you needed MoSlo to get the game to run... :)

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
While I never liked them much, the Dr. Franken games probably qualify... Dr. Franken and Dr. Franken II seem like they'd qualify. Both were released on the Game Boy, while the first had a SNES version as well.

I have to confess that some games are hard to narrow down into the "adventure" category -- it's generally the "large world" instead of individual levels that helps narrow it down for me.

I think games with strictly linear progression should not count. So certainly not Prince of Persia or Out of this World. Flashback might be ok since it has some open segments with genuine adventure elements. Abe is non-linear. I'm not sure about Heart of Darkness.

Edit: First, another game to look into, that almost certainly fits the qualifications for this thread -- the 2006 Japanese PC freeware game "Guardian Twins". Single Metroid-ish open world to explore, items to find, stats to increase... yeah, it fits. The only negative is that it's in Japanese, but oh well. I don't remember where I found it or I'd give a link... I'll look.

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPBdFfrIPgY

The developer also evidently made another game the next year, Fairy Attackers, that I haven't played. Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5x5Muyzddls As the description says, pretty much looks like Monster World. I'm not sure how open-ended the game is though...

... On that note, why are only Monster Worlds II and IV on this list? What about the first two? The first one's the only one at all questionable really, because of how it still has a level structure... but Monster World III (Wonder Boy in Monster World), no question really, it should be there.

On that note, that series is so confusing... I went through all the titles for each game in this post here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=10360861&postcount=19816

Metal Gear?! said:
I think games with strictly linear progression should not count. So certainly not Prince of Persia or Out of this World. Flashback might be ok since it has some open segments with genuine adventure elements. Abe is non-linear. I'm not sure about Heart of Darkness.

Yeah, there really are two kinds of games here, one being the open-ended games and the other the linear puzzle-based platformers. The latter type I would say would be all the ones you just listed plus BlackThorne. Heart of Darkness is very much like Out of this World, gameplay-wise, and was done by the same person, so it's in the same category as that.

You might be able to defend Oddworld and Flashback as having open-ended elements, but yeah, the rest of those... at best it should be a separate category really.

Farmboy

Nice to see Maze of Galious up there, one of my all-time faves. Very interested in La-Mulana! Is there a US/PAL releasedate for that one yet?

Enk

makes good threads.
A Black Falcon said:
More words.

I'm checking out Fairy Attackers at the moment. Seem to be getting through it just fine without being able to read it. It's a bit on the chintzy side and ntoiced that it uses a lot of sound effects from Monster World. Thanks for suggesting it.

While looking through those videos I came across a game, Magical Hop. There's RPG elements and it's 2d but it also seems to be level based. I'll have to look into it more to see if it fits onto the list, but it looks fairly interesting enough.

Video

Image10.gif
tttt.gif

About the Wonderboys, I did have Monster World 3 on the list, but I had no clue about the first game, Monster Land. I always thought that the first game was the Adventure Island-styled Wonderboy and did not know there was an older adventure game. That series was always confusing with their titles.

About Wizard & Warriors III, that game is different in structure than the first two and the GB one. It is a Metroidvania (though a rather poor one) and it's the reason why it's included instead of the others. Check out the video included in the description to see how the game is set up.

Newest list additions:
Several classic games, including two very early examples of Western adventure games. I also upgraded Shadow Complex to the list as well.

Cauldron I & II (1985 C64, ZX Spectrum, Amstrad)
by Steve Brown
FREE!
271-1-1.jpg

Screens
Cauldron202.jpg
cauldron_ii_02.gif

(Shooter, Platforming, Fantasy)

-C1 Video ; C2 Video
-A very early attempt at making an openworld adventure
-First game has a mixture of platforming a shmup like fliying sequences
-Sequel lets you take control of the bouncy, evil pumpkin and explores the witch's castle
-A 90's sequel, Super Cauldron, was made by the infamous Titus Software (Superman 64)
-Cauldron II can be play via flash HERE
-Cauldron remake can be found for free HERE

More info HERE

Dizzy seires (1986 ZX Spectrum, C64, NES)
by The Oliver Twins
FREE!
256px-Dizzy_inlay.jpg

Screens
1198275261-01.png
1147989487-00.png

(Platforming, Fantasy)

-Video
-Play as an egg! How eggciting! (groan)
-The series in now abandon ware. Grab them free HERE

More info HERE

Wonerboy on Monster Land (1987 Arcade, SMS, Amiga, PCE, C64, Wii)
by Sega
wb2.jpg

Screens
wb2-arcade.png
wb2arcade-1.png

(Metroid-style, Fantasy, Slasher, Platforming)

-Video
-First in the Wonderboy series to go the adventure game route
-Monster World II ditched the adventure elements for a more SHMUP like experience
-The sequels after MWII went back to the adventure game style

More info HERE

Turrican I&II (1989 C64, Amiga, ZX Spectrum, NES, Gen)
by Rainbow Arts
FREE!
1158511744-00.jpg

Screens
turrican.gif
1203194608-00.png

(semi Metroid-style, Shooter, Sci-fi, Atmospheric, Platforming)

-T1 Video ; T2 Video
-It's Metroid's twisted and relentless cousin
-While level based, the size of them are giant enough to have lots too explore
-Has one of the great unknown classic kickass soundtracks of gaming
-Creator Manfred Trenz both programmed and did the music for the NES version by himself
-From Turrican III and onward (including the SNES ones) the levels were massively scaled back
-Play the Aimga version of Turrican HERE (music/effects sounds really off in this version)
-Also check out Hurrican, a free game tribute to the series HERE

More info on Turrican plus free games (check out Turrican 2002) HERE

Hebereke (aka Ufouria) (1991 NES)
by Sunsofe
206090-u_for_ia_large.jpg

Screens
uf.gif
uf2.gif

(Metroid-style, Shooter, Fantasy, Platforming)

-Video
-Considered to be one of the better adventure games of the 8bit era
-Play as different characters
-Only released in Europe and Japan

More info HERE

Adventure Island IV (1994 Famicon)
by Hudson Soft
FC66-HFC-TT-TAKAHASHI4-01.gif

Screens
1156152545-03.png
1156152764-03.png

(Metroid-style, Shooter, Fantasy, Platforming)

-Video
-Last game in the 8bit series
-First game in the series to become an adventure game
-Never released outside of Japan

More info HERE

Shadow Complex (2009 XBLA)
by Chair
Shadow_Complex_Cover.jpg

Screens
shadow2.jpg
shadow-1.jpg

(Metroid-style, Sci-fi, Shooter)

-Video
-Pretty much a direct tribute to Metroid
-Uses the Unreal 3 engine
-Has segments where the player can shoot into the background

More info HERE

Nice additions to the list there. :) Never heard of Cauldron... no surprise though, the Amiga, Atari ST, and Spectrum weren't too popular in the US, and I'll bet that game was Europe only. :)

Enk said:
-A 90's sequel, Super Cauldron, was made by the infamous Titus Software (Superman 64)

Titus has to be one of the worst publishers/developers ever... it's amazing how few good games they made, being around for so many years.

I'm checking out Fairy Attackers at the moment. Seem to be getting through it just fine without being able to read it. It's a bit on the chintzy side and ntoiced that it uses a lot of sound effects from Monster World. Thanks for suggesting it.

Where'd you find it? I haven't played Fairy Attackers...

Also, what about Guardian Twins?

As for the quality, they are freeware, freeware isn't always as consistent in quality as retail games.

-Monster World II ditched the adventure elements for a more SHMUP like experience
-The sequels after MWII went back to the adventure game style

Heh, no, still confused I see. I'll try to explain it...

Wonder Boy 1 -- platformer

Wonder Boy 2: Monster World 1 - Side-scrolling action-RPG (SSARPG)

Wonder Boy 3 - platformer/shmup

Wonder Boy 4: Monster World 2 - SSARPG

Wonder Boy 5: Monster World 3 - SSARPG

Monster World 4 - SSARPG

It's just confusing when you put in all of the regional titles... :) (Just remember that the US/EU "Wonder Boy 3" is actually Wonder Boy 4. Monster Lair is the actual Wonder Boy 3, not Dragon's Trap/Dragon's Curse.)

Oh, and the first one wasn't 'Adventure Island styled', it actually was Adventure Island. Westone, the developer of the series, made separate Hudson versions of all of the first five games because of the fact that Sega owned the Wonder Boy character, but not the game's code. So they simply had to change the characters and stories and Hudson could release their versions. Hudson also made a bunch of sequels to Adventure Island of course, though apart from Adventure Island IV (NES) and Super Adventure Island II (SNES) they are all very similar to the original Wonder Boy, unlike the Wonder Boy series which never entirely returned to that style. Wonder Boy III is the closest, but as it's got a bunch of shmup in it, it's not the same...

A Black Falcon said:
#1: "Wonder Boy 1", released on: Arcade, Sega Master System, NES, Game Gear. Genre: Platform/Action
Arcade title: Wonder Boy
SMS title, US/Europe: Wonder Boy
SMS title, Japan: Super Wonder Boy
NES title, US: Adventure Island (with some altered graphics for rebranding for NES ver.)
NES title, Japan: Master Takahashi's Adventure Island (with same altered graphics for rebranding for NES ver.)
GG title, US: Revenge of Drancon
GG title, JP/EU: Wonder Boy

Also on: MSX (as Adventure Island), Sega SG-1000, Amiga, Commodore 64, ZX Spectrum (as Wonder Boy on all four)

#2: "Wonder Boy 2", "Monster World 1", released on: Arcade, SMS, Turbografx-16. Genre: SSARPG
Arcade title: Wonder Boy: Monster Land (unsure about if that is the exact title)
SMS title, US/EU: Wonder Boy in Monster Land
SMS title, Japan: Super Wonder Boy: Monster World
SMS title, Brazil: Turma da Monica no Castelo do Dragao (with altered graphics for rebranding (Monica franchise) for Brazilian SMS release)
Turbografx-16 title, Japan: Bikkuriman World (with altered graphics for rebranding (Bikkuriman franchise) for Turbografx-16 release)

Also on: Amiga (as Wonder Boy in Monster Land), Commodore 64, Amstrad CPC (as Super Wonder Boy in Monster Land on both)

#3: "Wonder Boy 3", released on: Arcade, Genesis, Turbo CD. Genre: Platform-Shooter
Arcade title: Wonder Boy III: Monster Lair
Genesis title, Japan: Wonder Boy III: Monster Lair
Genesis title, Europe: Monster Lair
Turbo CD title, Japan: Wonder Boy III: Monster Lair
Turbo CD title, US: Monster Lair

#4: "Wonder Boy 4", "Monster World 2", released on: SMS, Game Gear, Turbografx-16. Genre: SSARPG
SMS title, US/EU: Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap (titled "III" because the actual Wonder Boy III wasn't out yet here at the time; note the Japanese version does not use that number)
SMS title, Brazil: Turma da Monica em O Resgate (with altered graphics for rebranding (Monica franchise) for Brazilian SMS release)
Game Gear title, Japan: Monster World II: Dragon's Curse
Game Gear title, Europe: Wonder Boy (III) : The Dragon's Trap
Turbografx-16 title, US: Dragon's Curse (with altered graphics for TG-16 release)
Turbografx-16 title, Japan: Adventure Island (with same altered graphics for TG-16 release)

#5: "Wonder Boy 5", "Monster World 3", released on: Genesis, Turbo CD, SMS. Genre: SSARPG
Genesis title, US: Wonder Boy in Monster World
Genesis title, Japan: Wonder Boy V: Monster World III
Turbo CD title, US: The Dynastic Hero (with altered graphics for TG-CD release)
Turbo CD title, Japan: Chou Eiyuu Densetsu: Dynastic Hero (unsure about if that is the exact title) (with same altered graphics for TG-CD release)
SMS title, Europe: Wonder Boy in Monster World
SMS title, Brazil: Turma da Monica na Terra dos Monstros (with altered graphics for rebranding (Monica franchise) for Brazilian SMS release)

#6: "Monster World 4", released on: Genesis. Genre: SSAPRG
Genesis title, Japan: Monster World IV (starring a female character, so it is not "Wonder Boy", obviously -- though Wonder Boy III: Monster Lair had both a male and female playable character and that one was called "Wonder Boy", so they could have anyway I guess. They just didn't.)

Noogy

Great thread! I'm glad to see Y's III in the OP. The game had some issues, but at the time it absolutely blew me away, and still inspires me today as a designer.

Edit: :) I just noticed the OP put my little game in there... really I'm not worthy to be put up with so many classics. I kind of teared up seeing all those great games I loved growing up as a gamer. What great history!

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
I just wanted to say: Fantastic first post.

Edit: Rygar NES is sort of-ish in this genre too.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Again, Dr. Franken and Dr. Franken 2 were side scrolling adventures.

No commentary as to their quality, mind you.

mclem

Got another few for you from the Spectrum era:

The Tir Na Nog 'trilogy' (Marsport isn't directly related but uses the same engine)

Tir Na Nog
Dun Darach
Marsport

Wally Week games:
Pyjamarama
Everyone's a Wally
Herbert's Dummy Run
Three Weeks In Paradise

Jack The Nipper II: Coconut Capers was a definite platformer. Jack The Nipper 1 is possible but you'd have to use your judgement on that (there was some straight platforming but the majority of the game used scenes with some depth; think like Double Dragon)

Dizzy-derivatives:
Slightly Magic
Little Puff in Dragon Land
Seymour goes to Hollywood

Enk

makes good threads.
A Black Falcon said:
Nice additions to the list there. :) Never heard of Cauldron... no surprise though, the Amiga, Atari ST, and Spectrum weren't too popular in the US, and I'll bet that game was Europe only. :)
Nope, it was on the C64 in the US as well. I should know since I spent countless hours trying to master both games. Unless... I wasn't raised in the US. The Birthers should get on that.

A Black Falcon said:
Where'd you find it? I haven't played Fairy Attackers...

Also, what about Guardian Twins?
Fairy Attackers was in one of the videos you posted. I'll eventually get around to playing Guardina Twins at some point too.

A Black Falcon said:
*Wonderboy list*
*Head explodes*

No wonder the series was so confusing. I'll go through and change the titles of the games to match the Japanese continuity. Thanks for making it clear.

Noogy said:
Edit: :) I just noticed the OP put my little game in there... really I'm not worthy to be put up with so many classics. I kind of teared up seeing all those great games I loved growing up as a gamer. What great history!
The pressure's on now! Best do this genre proud mister (missy? tranny?). I'm kidding, take your time and I look forward to seeing how your game turns out.

mclem said:
Got another few for you from the Spectrum era:
Hmm.. I may just end up make a general retro pc adventure section since there's a bunch of them. One of your suggestions though...

Quickie List Update

A quickie addition to the list because I felt Mclem pointed out something worth mentioning. Reading up on Tir Na Nog it seemed to be one of the big pioneers of side scrolling adventures. It incroporated a lot of advanced techniques like the early use of parallax scrolling and uses that in conjuction of animated bckgrounds. It also had an inventory system similar to the LucasArts adventure games of later years.

Tir Na Nog Trilogy (1984 ZX Spectrum, Amstrad, C64)
by Gargoyle Games

379-1.jpg
Marsport.jpg

Screens
TirNaNog.gif
Marsport-1.gif

(Slasher, Sci-fi, Fantasy)

-Tir Na Nog Video ; Dun Darach Video ; Marsport Video none :-(
-One of the pioneers of side scrolling adventures
-Notable for its groundbreaking features like:
---Large, well animated main character
---Animated backgrounds
---Parallax Scrolling
-Dun Darach is considered to possibly be the first prequel in gaming history
-Marsport took a more sci-fi route
-Was later to be remade by Psygnosis but was later canceled
-Series has a LucasArts styled item collection system; Marsport even allowed you to combine items

More info HERE and HERE

A game I haven't seen mentionned that I loved back in the day:

Septentrion (JP) / S.O.S. (US) (1993 SFC/SNES)
by Human Entertainment

578932_46455_front.jpg

gfs_46455_2_1.jpg

(Semi-Metroid Distaster Survival Side Scroller)

- Basically Castlevania meets Poseidon

There's a 1999 Human game called "Septentrion ~Out of the Blue~" but I don't know anything about it.

I clicked on this thread expecting this, Sorcerian, Cadash, Wonder Boy in Monster Land and Lord of the Sword. This thread delivered beyond my expectations.

Exile might be worth mentionning too? I didn't see it back there. I did it on genesis but I'm pretty sure it's a PCE game to begin with.

(Also, hooray for first posts!)

edit: alright, I had missed Exile. Some of these titles are pretty actionny so shouldn't the Valis series be mentionned? But if we go that way we're one step away from adding El Viento / Ernest Evans or the Rolling Thunder series I guess.

dock

This thread is epic! Thank-you for making it.
I love that you picked up on the 8-bit computer adventures.

I'm developing a title in this genre at the moment :)

2D Platformers mark as my favorite old-school genre and why I like similar 3D "extreme action" games such as DMC, which drew their inspiration from them.

I see you have Exile and Wonder Boy in Monster World, both of which I love so much on the Genesis. Those were the days, indeed.

Enk

makes good threads.
dock said:
I'm developing a title in this genre at the moment :)
Care to share? :D

madara said:
Two big thumbs up! Feel free to add those pc-engine classics.
Like which ones exactly? Please inform me.

New List Additions

In this list I tried to find some of the more obscure SSA games. Not all of these games are good, but felt they were worth mentioning informative purposes. One addition, in which just came out last month, I'm surprised has not even been mentioned on these boards. I ended up playing the demo for a good amount of time last night and it's quite fun. It also does some things that I haven't seen done before in an SSA game, like incorporating some Western RPG design in how the inventory is handle. The game is at the very bottom of the list and I highly recommend you check it out if you're into the genre.

Also with this list I have reached the max capacity allowed on the OP. It grew a lot greater than I expected it to. So I'm going to have to do a overhaul this week to the list so I can include all of these games.

Valis: The Fantastic Soldier NES (1986 NES)
by Telenet Japan Co
1171201817-00.jpg

Screens
1133994525-04.png
Valis-TheFantasticSoldierJ_001.jpg

(Shooter, Fantasy, Kinky)

-Video
-Play as the scantly clad Yuko who battles evil minions with her sword, Valis.
-Unlike the other versions, the NES one has a more of an openworld, mazelike design
-Not very good
-Get a fan translation HERE
-More recent entries of the series evolved the series to include touching moments of lesbian sex and tentacle rape.

More info HERE

Bio Senshi DAN aka Bio Warrior DAN (1987 NES)
by Atlus
578478_18266_front.jpg

Screens
dan.jpg
1170393075-04.png

(Platforming, Slasher, Metroid-style, Sci-fi)

-Video
-Travel back into time to the year 1999 to save the world from the vicious Increaser
-Was localized but never released overseas (as Bashi Bazook)

More info HERE

Chester Field (1987 NES, C64)
by Vic Tokai
250px-Chester_Field_box_artwork.jpg

Screens
chester3.png
chester4.png

(Platforming, Slasher, Fantasy)

-Video
-Very Zelda II-esque
-Was finished for localization but never ended up getting released overseas

-More info HERE

Rygar NES version (1987 NES)
by Tecmo
587594_58217_front.jpg

Screens
1061991193-00.gif
rygarnes-8.png

(Metroid-style, Slasher, Platformer, TopDown, Fantasy)

-Video
-Unleash the powa of disc armor!
-Unlike the arcade, the NES version was a more open world adventure
-Has a mixture of topdown and sidescrolling action

More in HERE

Zombie Hunter (1987 MSX, NES)
by- Hi-Score Mediawork
zombie.jpg

Screens
zomb-01b.png
1129944479-00.png

(RPG, Slasher, Fantasy, Platforming)

-Video
-Grinding is a must
-Unfortunately it is easy to overpower
-Not as cool as the pictures and title make it out to be
-Never released overseas

Cosmo Police Galivan (1988 NES)
by Nihon Bussan
577551_17685_front.jpg

Screens
cosmo1.gif
cgal-02b.gif

(RPG, Metroid-style, Slasher, Sci-fi)

-Video
-Unlike its arcade brother, this version was more of an adventure game
-Never released overseas

Alien 3 SNES (1993 SNES)
by LJN
snes-alien-3-box-front.jpg

Screens
1134149588-00.gif
1134149660-00.gif

(Shooter, Sci-fi, Platforming, Atmospheric)

-Video
-Take on missions and help rescue the survivors from the xenomorphs!
-Genesis/Amiga versions are slightly similar but more linear in design.

Wonder Project J (1994 SNES)
by Almanic
wonder.jpg

Screens
1099254532-02.gif
1099254532-05.gif

(RPG, Sci-fi)

-Video
-Raise and train a robot boy to do your bidding
-Mixes adventure with life simulation elements
-From the makers of E.V.O.
-The sequel, Wonder Project J2, still had 2d sprites but the exploration parts were in 3d
-Never released overseas
-Grab the fan translation of WPJ1 HERE
-Grab the fan translation of WPJ2 HERE

More info HERE

Valkyrie Profile Lenneth & Silmeria (1999 PS1, PSP, PS2)
by tri-Ace
252px-Vpbox.jpg
74_ja.jpg

Screens
456542.jpg
valkyrie-profile-2-silmeria631716.jpg

(RPG, TurnBased, Fantasy, Platforming, Atmospheric)

-VP1 Video ; VP2 Video
-Fused Metroidvania style exploration with semi-turnbased battles
-Deep character customizations
-Gorgrous locales and music
-Recuit an wide variety of einherjar to join your party

More info HERE

Aztaka (2009 Windows)
by Citeremis
30ee9733e9029a7899c9f7fe8e504ed1be7.png

Screens
0122325n9.jpg
untitled-1.jpg

aztakascreen01.jpg
aztaka-2009-02-02-20-57-38-85.jpg

(RPG, Metroid-style, Slasher, Platforming, Fantasy, Atmospheric)

-Video
-Kinda like a land based Aquaria
-Uses a hybrid control method of keyboard and mouse
-Has a Western RPG-styled inventory/quest system
-Gorgeous hand drawn 2d visuals
-Use essences to manipulate the envirnment
-Has a nice, sizable demo
-Grab the demo and game HERE

More info HERE

Top Bottom