• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Great Simpsons Debate of 2016

What is the joke?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course it's a previous shoe incident. It's like the old "That's the second _____est _____ I've ever seen!" trope, where the comedy of the absurd thing is enhanced by having it be unexpectedly undercut by a nonchalant revelation that it's not unique, and making you wonder where the hell they saw it before

god damn it why does this make me angry

BigAT

David Wain's wife, Zandy Hartig, asked Mike Scully about it.

http://twitter.com/zandywithaz/status/741733675251826688/photo/1

For all my fellow "previously witnessed" followers...

348715.gif

Of course it's a previous shoe incident. It's like the old "That's the second _____est _____ I've ever seen!" trope, where the comedy of the absurd thing is enhanced by having it be unexpectedly undercut by a nonchalant revelation that it's not unique, and making you wonder where the hell they saw it before

It makes you angry because deep down inside you know you're WRONG. Homer seeing someone say goodbye to a shoe before isn't funny. It would be one of the most mundane things he's ever seen in his fucking life. Homer's gone to space.

Homer being stupid enough to bluntly answer the question using the event he just witnessed is not only funnier, it plays off of his character traits as well.

Zakalwe

Banned
The humor is derived from the absurdity of Homer having seen this happen before, defying the audience's expectations due to their unfamiliarity with such bizarre behaviour.

Yes.

Here, punch me. I can take it.

It makes you angry because deep down inside you know you're WRONG. Homer seeing someone say goodbye to a shoe before isn't funny. It would be one of the most mundane things he's ever seen in his fucking life. Homer's gone to space.

Homer being stupid enough to bluntly answer the question using the event he just witnessed is not only funnier, it plays off of his character traits as well.

Scorpio didn't actually say goodbye to a shoe, he threw two shoes away. If Homer is being literal minded then he wouldn't say yes.

Ergo, Homer saw a bizarre scenario in the past where someone said goodbye to a shoe and he witnessed it, and as a simple minded fellow he found it humorous, and he also doesn't get that Scorpio is acting like it's supposed to be strange.

Scorpio didn't actually say goodbye to a shoe, he threw two shoes away. If Homer is being literal minded then he wouldn't say yes.

Scorpio threw the mocassins and yelled after them "GET THE HELL OUTTA HERE." Even as stupid as Homer is, this clearly counts as saying goodbye to a shoe.

Either that, or Homer is misremembering the girl in Schindler's List who says "GOODBYE JEWS!" as saying "GOODBYE SHOES" and I imagine he was rather confused sitting in that theater with Marge.

Crispy75

Homer being literal is funnier than homer having seen it before. That's how I'd always interpreted it and I'm sticking with it regardless of what that Scully character has to say.

ExVicis

Homer being literal is funnier than homer having seen it before. That's how I'd always interpreted it and I'm sticking with it regardless of what that Scully character has to say.
Same. It's far more funny to me, in-character or out-of-character.

Maybe also it's not as funny if he actually did see it before because I've actually seen people throw their shows and it really wasn't that absurd.

BigAT

Ergo, Homer saw a bizarre scenario in the past where someone said goodbye to a shoe and he witnessed it, and as a simple minded fellow he found it humorous, and he also doesn't get that Scorpio is acting like it's supposed to be strange.

Don't bother, their kind has neither the cranial capacity nor the opposing digits to understand jokes.

He's referring to seeing someone else say goodbye to a shoe. It's a reference to the 1943 film, "Wayward Wingtips of Waverly Way."

OBVIOUSLY he is referring to Hank tossing his shoes off into the void.

OBVIOUSLY it's "car hole".

Edit:

OBVIOUSLY Ralph is just good at sleeping, not a viking in his dreams.

People who think Homer means Hank throwing his shoes do not properly understand context.

As Crushed says, its a play on a comedic trope.

Additionally, the manner of his laugh is the sort that denotes he is recalling something that happened a while ago.

Xenoboy

Why would it be funny if it happened once before Scorpio threw it?
It's not like it is something all that unexpected to happen in show. It's funnier if that actually was the first time, since it is not the craziest thing to have happened in the show at that point.

No_Style

Watching this video, it's clear that he's not talking about Hank's shoes. He's laughing while says 'yes, once', because it came to his mind the former incident.

I agree with the assessment but what if we go deeper and Homer has such a short attention span that the former incident is actually the incident that he just witnessed.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
It's such a throwaway line. If friendships and relationships were lost over it that's just silly.

Also, don't blame me. I voted for Kodos.

tolkir

I agree with the assessment but what if we go deeper and Homer has such a short attention span that the former incident is actually the incident that he just witnessed.

But they just meet Hanks and the conversation is too fast, the Simpsons (included Homer) are stunned in that moment listening that crazy guy. Homer is totally serious all the time, he only forgets this silly conversation reminding the other thing.

UberTag

1. Clearly he's talking about a different man throwing a shoe, because a) thats the type of crazy thing that happens to him, b) he's not quick enough on his feet to say yes because he just saw and Hank do, and c) because that wouldn't have been funny.
I agree wholeheartedly with the above... and I'll chime in that I honestly can't recall another man removing their shoes and flinging them away like a projectile in the entire series run. Although some came close when Bart masqueraded as an Italian to win that marathon in New Kids on the Blecch and incensed the rest of the competitors.

Oddly enough, Lisa has wielded her footwear as weapons on no less than 3 separate occasions. She has a 100% accuracy rate hitting her targets with them, too... always the heads of men. She has some hostility issues to work through when it comes to the opposite sex. But she never said goodbye to her shoes when she threw them... and neither did Hank for that matter.

Rymuth

If Homer is referring to Hank throwing them away, that would make Homer clever, which he is not. The idea that in the past the same absurd thing has happened, is funny. Therefore, this scientific research concludes that Homer did indeed see moccasins thrown away on another occasion.

Case closed.
I agree with this.

Plus, having seen it before is way funnier.

I can see both interpretation, but I find it's more likely that Homer had indeed seen the action before. As stated in the thread, Homer's literal mindedness would have him answer earnestly.

Also, for me personally, the chuckle gives while answering gives off the impression that he was reminiscing on the previous shoe throwers action and was fondly remembering it.

I can see both interpretation, but I find it's more likely that Homer had indeed seen the action before. As stated in the thread, Homer's literal mindedness would have him answer earnestly.

Also, for me personally, the chuckle gives while answering gives off the impression that he was reminiscing on the previous shoe throwers action and was fondly remembering it.

Homer just saw someone say goodbye to his shoes. If Homer had seen someone do this before, then his literal mindedness would have made him answer "Yes. Twice."

That wouldn't be funny, though.

Drencrom

I think the idea of him referring to Hank in such a nostalgic and oblivious manner much more humorous than the classic "oh yeah, I've experienced this unlikely and specific situation before" trope.

Homer just saw someone say goodbye to his shoes. If Homer had seen someone do this before, then his literal mindedness would have made him answer "Yes. Twice."

That's a great point too

Just based on the GIF in the OP, I would assume Homer was laughing about the shoe Hank just threw.

Watching the video, however, I believe Homer is recalling a different shoe incident.

adj_noun

I always thought it referred to having just seen it.

I guess it could be a "that's the second biggest lobster I've ever seen" type of gag, but that doesn't really work as well for me.

PaulloDEC

I always interpreted the joke as being about the absurdity that Homer would be able to answer a question like "Ever see a guy say goodbye to a shoe?" with anything other than "No."

So I guess the former option? Both work though IMO.

Scorpio threw the mocassins and yelled after them "GET THE HELL OUTTA HERE." Even as stupid as Homer is, this clearly counts as saying goodbye to a shoe.

Either that, or Homer is misremembering the girl in Schindler's List who says "GOODBYE JEWS!" as saying "GOODBYE SHOES" and I imagine he was rather confused sitting in that theater with Marge.

Oh my god

Suddenly this joke got 10x deeper

hoggert

This is ...like, the weirdest thread I've ever tried to read more then one page of. I'm so fucking confused, so I just voted Kodos and went back to Shadowrun Hong Kong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom