• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The greatest console bundles in video game history

You're crazy if it's not

supermario64.jpg

Krejlooc

Banned
Turbo-Duo
ViDvkrZ.jpg

It's always funny how they said "A secret arcade hit" because they couldn't finalize the final pack in until after the packaging was done. The included Turbo Force magazine inside was also printed prior to them finalizing the package - it says Dungeon Explorer is included, when it's actually Ninja Spirit.

It is one hell of a deal, though. Every single game included is one of the best of the entire generation. They also don't advertise Bomberman, which is also included.

You are all smoking dope.

B0000X45KS.08.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Black GC, Double Dash and Limited Edition Zelda Disc including Zelda 1, Zelda 2, Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask and Wind Waker Demo?

The best.

There was an XBOX ONE holiday bundle this year that included:

1 TB HDD
Rise of the Tomb Raider
Tomb Raider (2013) Remaster
Ori and The Blind Forest
Gears of War Remaster
and
Rare Replay (which is 30 games itself).

Looked at on a pure dollar per game basis, you're getting a console plus 34 games for the regular price of the console. I don't think there's ever been a deal quite that good for a brand new console.

Even still, and I was in the market for one, I just couldn't justify it.

MisterHero

The GOAT is the Wii and WiiSports

but when I got Super Nintendo not only did I get Super Mario World, but I got Mario Paint and a free mail-in for All-Stars. That might not be completely accurate though :p

Ramune

Even better

51jhN1Npz1L.jpg

Granted, it looks like it only came with one controller.

I distinctly got that bundle over the then new Genesis 32X because, not only was that a no brainer with the included games (on one cart no less!), you got a free 2nd controller by mailing in the included voucher.
Still rocking to this day!

Edit: Honerable mention has to go to the White Vita 1000 Assassins Creed: Liberations Black Friday bundle. Liberations, free PlayStation All-Stars download code, a year of PS+.....I was set for quite a while.....

SNES + Mario All-Stars and Mario World like people have said

But also this beauty. This is what my parents got my brother and I from Sam's Club and I thought I was the luckiest kid in the world.

cviF7UPl.jpg

LCGeek

formerly sane
Good choice OP is was either that and GT3 with PS2 for me. Friend had gotten me a transcoder just to play it 1080i on a crt monitor and man it was a beaut.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
OpX8p0o.jpg

Another cool one, although this screen gets harder to look at the older you get.

My favorite was the Mario 25th Anniversary DSi XL w/ Mario Kart DS. The DS family was at its absolute peak build-wise, the design was pure sex and the game stands among the DS GOATs.

51hP7Y-OTSL.jpg

Other territories got a better box design and NSMB, but this one stands among the greats IMO.

Krejlooc

Banned
I distinctly got that bundle over the then new Genesis 32X because, not only was that a no brainer with the included games (on one cart no less!), you got a free 2nd controller by mailing in the included voucher.
Still rocking to this day!

you remember wrong. That bundle was discontinued in late 1993/early 1994. The 32X launched against this SNES bundle in late 1994:

cCMGSaq.jpg

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
zmXx5fW.jpg

For $300 you could get

- The most hype AAA title of that year that you could instantly sell for $40+ due to high demand, thus driving the actual price of this bundle down to $260.
- A console with a well built library by that point
- A console that didn't require a paid online subscription
- A good sized 500GB HDD

Krejlooc

Banned
Just because a bundle is offically discontinued doesn't mean stores instantly have no stock and stop selling it.

I remember seeing that bundle disappear long before the 32X launched. Unless he lives in an area where his stores didn't sell SNES consoles for months on end, I think he's misremembering that the 32X had just launched. More likely, it was around the corner.

It's more a personal thing but the black gamecube with prime bundle was godly for £99 back in the day, you even got a prime logo to stick in the lid window of the cube.

It was great to me because I had £120~ in trade credit saved up and bought it for myself.

This was a good one also that blew my mind at the time as it was built in...

maxresdefault.jpg

yeah, I had alex kidd but i know some later models had sonic 1 built in instead.

mclem

No Dreamcast Ultimate Pack?

Pretty much when the writing was on the wall for the DC, in the UK, rather than dropping the price, they released a bundle containing:

Dreamcast
VMU
Jet Set Radio
Metropolis Street Racer
Virtua Fighter 3

...for £100.

Not a lot of good images of it, this is all I could find:

bOTKmMG.jpg

mclem

The Neo Geo Pocket Color bundles were rather awesome.

DSC03792.jpg

System + several games for under $100.

I've always loved the way that those look like they're a cheap cloney knockoff, when in fact, they're the real thing.

I feel like that packaging does a disservice to the system. It makes it look super cheap. Were perceptions different in Japan?

IIRC it was when they were basically liquidating and leftover stock was passed on to a different distributor who, well, shoved it all together and sold it for super cheap.

The real product but not the real brand, if you see what I mean.

geardo

I was quite fond of the PS4 black Friday bundle from a couple years ago that had TLOU and GTA V. The GOAT is definitely the SNES Allstars + SMW bundle though.

This will be an unpopular answer, as people hate the PS3 super slim and GOW ascension, but this was a fantastic bundle:

JIa0KOa.jpg

But I have to admit it's only the second best PS3 bundle, as I bought it to play Ni No Kuni.

Krejlooc

Banned
I feel like that packaging does a disservice to the system. It makes it look super cheap. Were perceptions different in Japan?

This was several years after they had already died. They were super cheap by that point. The reason that package exists is because a large stock pile of unsold NGPC units had been discovered. This was like 2007-ish.

The original US NGPC packaging didn't look cheap:

FCvAtze.jpg

Top Bottom