• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The greatest console bundles in video game history

harz-marz

This looks like a better deal:

ES_MS2_PackII_Sonic_MasterGames_SuperMonacoGP_WorldSoccer_Columns.jpg

My 8 year old mind would have been blown.

I've always loved the way that those look like they're a cheap cloney knockoff, when in fact, they're the real thing.

Yeah, the NGPC was the first portable system where I actually liked the system itself - great controls and great battery life value. Decent library too, although there were WAY too many fighting game. Card Fighters Clash was awesome.

Krejlooc

Banned
Actually, has any game console ever come with 4 controllers? I guess technically some Atari 2600 packs came with 2 pairs of rotary controllers, but those are really more like 2 controllers that are used by 4 people, since they only occupy 2 terminals.

iidesuyo

Actually, has any game console ever come with 4 controllers? I guess technically some Atari 2600 packs came with 2 pairs of rotary controllers, but those are really more like 2 controllers that are used by 4 people, since they only occupy 2 terminals.

Just read the OP!?

jluedtke

Turbo-Duo

Arguably some of the best of the system, in the box...
Gate of Thunder
Ys Book I&II
Bonks Adventure
Bonks Revenge
Bomberman(secret code unlock on disc)
And either Dungeon Explorer or Ninja spirit
ViDvkrZ.jpg

I came in here to post this. Nice work, sir.

chemicals

Came here to say SNES with super mario all stars and super mario world. Still worth the asking price, in my opinion.

Melchiah

PS3's 2007 bundle, with Resistance: Fall of Man, MotorStorm and two controllers, was pretty good. On top of that, as a holiday bonus the store chain gave me 60€ back for the purchase.

spookyfish

Love that original gameboy. Wish I still had my original in box.

My favorite, and may be nostalgia talking, is the Nintendo Deluxe set because that is the bundle I got when we bought it way back. Wish I still had it:

tUZoREC.jpg

Still have this. Bought it from Woolworth two weeks before Christmas 1987.

As someone who really wanted a TurboGrafix 16 as a kid (and still want one now), that TurboDuo bundle would have made me flip my shit back in the day.

Amazing value there.

stuminus3

Atari ST Power Pack (came with the Atari 520 ST). Look at all this juice.

7KqZYtI.png

Also came with a bunch of utilities because obviously the Atari ST was a home computer, not a console. :)

mclem

Atari ST Power Pack (came with the Atari 520 ST). Look at all this juice.

7KqZYtI.png

Also came with a bunch of utilities because obviously the Atari ST was a home computer, not a console. :)

Wondering how many games there actually were in that, because I see a few dupes.

Still, I think I see:
R-Type
Out Run (twice)
Eliminator?
G-LOC?
Black Tiger? (The one in top-right with the dragon)
Gauntlet II (twice)
Road Blasters? Maybe Techno Cop, but I think Roadblasters.
Bombuzal (twice)
Nebulus (/Castelian) (twice)
Pac Mania
Double Dragon
Starglider
Space Harrier
Super Hang-On
Bomb Jack
Not sure what the mostly green one is in the bottom-right. Predator, perhaps?

How'd I do?

Edit: I've just realised that there is actually text under the screenshots! Still, I couldn't parse it.

bman94

60644_front.jpg

Christmas 2005 was amazing with this thing. I still have the DS and I even put the decal stickers on it when I first got it. This was one of my favorite Mario Kart games and I put countless hours into it. And the color was so vibrant too.

stuminus3

Wondering how many games there actually were in that, because I see a few dupes.

Still, I think I see:
R-Type
Out Run (twice)
Eliminator?
G-LOC?
Black Tiger? (The one in top-right with the dragon)
Gauntlet II (twice)
Road Blasters? Maybe Techno Cop, but I think Roadblasters.
Bombuzal (twice)
Nebulus (/Castelian) (twice)
Pac Mania
Double Dragon
Starglider
Space Harrier
Super Hang-On
Bomb Jack
Not sure what the mostly green one is in the bottom-right. Predator, perhaps?

How'd I do?

Edit: I've just realised that there is actually text under the screenshots! Still, I couldn't parse it.
There were actually 20 games in the bundle. Some of them aren't in the screenshots.

fTZFqTf.png

There was a Streets of Rage 2 Genesis bundle, right? I distinctly remember getting that bundle as a kid.

May not have been crazy value or anything, but the Pokemon Yellow GBC bundle was pretty much all you needed for Gameboy in the late nineties.

Ramune

you remember wrong. That bundle was discontinued in late 1993/early 1994. The 32X launched against this SNES bundle in late 1994:

cCMGSaq.jpg

Whoa there! Calm down. Your better than this! I remember because the 32X JUST released that month, and the prospect of upgrading my Genesis was VERY appealing to me at the time. 16-bit upgrades of my favorite games PLUS a chance to catch up and play Mario World, since before I sided with Sega as well as a free controller in the mail....that Mario Bundle literally saved me from a shipwreck. ;)

Looking back, I even wrote the date I was going to send the voucher for the 2nd controller on Proof of Purchase in back of the box (and apparently scribbled the date I actually got it since I wasn't following directions ^_^; ). Always keep your boxes kids!

Man God

Non-Canon Member

Besides the one in the OP there was an official US bundle that I got to replace my NES after my brother went wild on the first one which was.

Four Controllers
the NES Satellite, the wireless version of the Four Score
and a pretty dang rare double cart of Super Spike V-Ball and Nintendo World Cup.

The gameboy may be the winner in my mind, its rare that arguably the best game on the system is packed in at launch. Snes with SMW is a close second but I wouldn't call that the best snes game or would I?

4893400261_639bc5c8a6_b.jpg

The original Game Boy.

- the system
- an addictive game
- batteries
- headphones
- a link cable

This was so incredible. If you had to wait 1 hour for your train, you could just walk into a store, grab the system and play. And if you met some other guy on the train who had a Game Boy too, you could play Tetris in vs. mode, because everyone who owned a GB also owned Tetris and a link cable.

Today one has to watch out whether the DS has a charger included!

sgs9fkievc3vcrr2suwl.jpg

NES Super Set.

- the system
- four (!!) controllers, the adapter was able to support rapid fire
- three games: Nintendo World Cup, Super Mario Bros., Tetris

That bundle sold like hot cakes.

What are your picks?

I kind of miss that time when boxes were massive.

When you bought anything big it came in a big box to let you know what you're getting is gonna be huge.

Turbo-Duo

Arguably some of the best of the system, in the box...
Gate of Thunder
Ys Book I&II
Bonks Adventure
Bonks Revenge
Bomberman(secret code unlock on disc)
And either Dungeon Explorer or Ninja spirit
ViDvkrZ.jpg

I always wanted this so bad when I'd see it at EB. Same bundle. Could never justify it to my mom.

Top Bottom