• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The greatest console bundles in video game history

User1608

Banned
51dzG%2BqTAML._SX425_.jpg

Fun times.

Yoday

I kind of miss that time when boxes were massive.

When you bought anything big it came in a big box to let you know what you're getting is gonna be huge.
Have they really changed in size much? The OG Xbox box was massive for obvious reasons, but the DC, PS2, and GCN boxes were pretty small. I guess Nintendo had a habit of using styrofoam, which made them a bit bigger than necessary, but they were by no means massive.

Even better

51jhN1Npz1L.jpg

Granted, it looks like it only came with one controller.

The only downside to this package was that it came with one controller. But then again... controllers used to cost $30 back then...

One of my favourite pack-ins was the Sega CD with...

Sonic CD:
50167_front.jpg

Ecco The Dolphin CD and Sega Classics 5-in-1
ecco-the-dolphin-sega-classics.jpg

Sewer Shark:
sewer-shark.jpg

Acosta

Not a console, but for originality sake, let me introduce you the Atari ST Power Pack

An Atari ST with 20 games, and not unknowkn crap, but well known names like Double Dragon, Afterburner, Outrun (too bad the ST version suuuuucked) and so.

It was so good and so relatively popular that it ended biting Atari in the ass in the UK when publishers discovered that their sales on ST had slowed a big deal since the introduction of the Pack, given that new customers didn't buy games as they were well served for long time.

(Edit, I can't believe I have been beaten on this, damn you stuminus3 :_( )

jmdajr

Turbo-Duo

Arguably some of the best of the system, in the box...
Gate of Thunder
Ys Book I&II
Bonks Adventure
Bonks Revenge
Bomberman(secret code unlock on disc)
And either Dungeon Explorer or Ninja spirit
ViDvkrZ.jpg

God bless this bundle.

cireza

mario_smash_football_bundle_cube.jpg

This one too. Was only 100 euros back then because the console did not encounter success, sadly. I already had the GC back then, but this bundle was very nice with the white console.

EhoaVash

Destiny gets a lot of flak, but I bought this and regret nothing.

This is the GOAT Wii U bundle.

k2-_2d3db600-1e87-4063-8ed0-e44d37e74cf3.v1.jpg

damn that is really nice
imagine if it included Mario kart 8 in that bundle too, the new Trifecta of Multiplayer nintendo games bundle would be the BEST bundle ever O__o

reminder

Me and my brother got a SNES bundle, but i can't remember the exact name (and sadly no picture of it). It was an official (EU only?) bundle which included:

- SNES
- 2 1 Controller
- Super Mario World
- F-Zero
- Super Soccer

This bundle was our entry into the world of home consoles. Good times.

Edit: I finally found it, but my memory was wrong. It seems it came only with 1 controller.

SNES-Konsole-Power-Set-d.jpg

I realize the threat startrer wanted this to focus on official bundles but I do have to give shoutouts to the random Sam's Club bundle of a GameCube, 2 controllers, Smash Bros Melee, a memory card, and the strategy guide for $99.98 (or whatever they end their prices with I don't think they do .99). I scooped that up real quick when I saw it in store. It was later in the GameCube life span but that bundle was still a ridiculous deal.

Swhalen

This introduced a ton of newcomers to what Jet Set Radio was. Some areas had bundles with it and Halo.

7RiJUwg.jpg

The Green Xbox with Halo (and I think DOA3) was also pretty good.
My Xbox came with Jsrf and project Gotham racing. Fucking incredible bundle.

This introduced a ton of newcomers to what Jet Set Radio was. Some areas had bundles with it and Halo.

7RiJUwg.jpg

The Green Xbox with Halo (and I think DOA3) was also pretty good.

My friend's dad bought this bundle for him in Fall 2002 over the Playstation 2. We were both in first grade at the time. We would play Star Wars Obi-Wan after school. Fun times

wiibox.jpg

It was the perfect Trojan Horse to get people into gaming.

As much as I loved my PS3 bundle (80gb, World at War, Fallout 3, LittleBigPlanet, Resistance 2, LOST, £299) this is the one that made the Wii so successful. Convinced swathes of buyers through one game that it was worthy of purchase without solid promise of anything else. It was my first Nintendo console because of this game.

m3Q3HdZ.jpg

Eg7evq7.jpg

I can't say enough how happy these two bundles made me as a kid (ignore the "asian specific" sticker, it's the same box they used in the US). The Game Gear Bundle was even cooler for me at the time, because Toys R Us had a deal going on where if you bought any game gear you got a game free with it. So I got Sonic and Castle of Illusion the same day.

The day I got each of those were magical days I wish I could relive. I remember being overwhelmed with joy

Is that game gear picture the Genesis Sonic on a GG screen? Seems like false advertising lol.

Top Bottom