• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GREATEST Movie Debate of ALL-TIME™: BATTLE of the 80s FANTASY GENRE!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread series doesn't hold up well over time either. I don't really like either of the 3 movies I've seen in this list. Labyrinth, I've seen again last year after thinking for like ten years that it was good, and well, it wasn't. The Neverending Story was okay, something I cherished when I was very young, but I never really watched it again fully. I've seen parts of it from time to time, but it didn't compel me to watch it again. The Dark Crystal I THINK I have seen, but I'm not sure. The Princess Bride I might have to watch. The whole topic is a little on the gay side, though, as all these movies have rather freaky fans.

Jotaro

Banned
Neverending Story.

The scene at the end with the Dragon with the boy on top where they go fly by the city and scare his bullies, most magical, beautiful scene ever. :)

Flynn

android said:
You lose. Star Wars is Science Fiction

Many consider Star Wars fantasy -- the series overarching thrust being the force. Replace the space ships with boats, the lightsabers with swords and you have a movie about a young wizard going after his father the evil wizard.

From Wikipedia:

Some fiction sits fairly and squarely on the borderline, between science fiction and other genres; some writing defies categorisation. In some cases, the term "science fiction" generally refers to any literary fantasy including a scientific factor as an essential, story-orienting component. It is sometimes applied, more generally, to any fantasy at all (generally so in US bookstores), but, in that case, the larger category of speculative fiction is more inclusive. Such literature may consist of a careful and informed extrapolation of scientific facts and principles, or it may range to far-fetched areas flatly contradicting such facts and principles. In the former case, scientifically-based plausibility is requisite, while in the latter, plausibility is the lesser requirement and love of scientific ideas the greater.

android

Theoretical Magician
Flynn said:
Many consider Star Wars fantasy -- the series overarching thrust being the force. Replace the space ships with boats, the lightsabers with swords and you have a movie about a young wizard going after his father the evil wizard.

From Wikipedia:
Yeah if you replace everything it becomes Fantasy. Forget the aliens, the death star, the droids, the blasters, all the technology, the ships, the travel between planets. I mean the only tying thread between them is the force. And we now know the Force is appearently tiny little aliens (fucking Lucas) The theme of a son going after a evil father is used in all genres as a plot point. Sure many see the simularities between the fantasy genre and the film (even I do) but ask them the genre of Star Wars and they will say "Sci Fi."

Thaedolus

Never Ending Story should lose simply for the fact it spawned two horrible sequels. So there.

Princess Bride is up there with my favorite comedies, but honestly I think Labrynth is better.

Evenball

Jack Flack always escapes!
No Ladyhawk or Dragonslayer love? Sheesh...

1. Neverending Story
2. Princess Bride
3. Dark Crystal
4. Labyrinth

but I love them all, so #4 is still great in my book.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
krull.jpg

B00009P9O8.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Fire and Ice fecking rulled.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
hmmm,

I'd have a tough time choosing between Labyrinth and The Princess Bride. Would probably choose Labyrinth, just for being "more" of a fantasy movie than THe Princess Bride. The Movie really creeped me out when I was a kid, still kind of does.

Side Note: Add me to the list of people who thinks Willow should have been on the list.

Tabris

Was Legend released in the 80's?

Cause I enjoyed that one.

If I had to chose any of those for best of the fantasy genre, I would chose Neverending Story.

Princess Bride is a better movie, but for different reasons.

Prospero

This thread is absolutely worthless without Dragonslayer. That said, the only one of these I've seen recently enough to judge is Labyrinth.

Labyrinth at least has some of Bowie's best songs of the 1980s, even though the 1980s are Bowie's worst decade. Labyrinth also has production design that references M. C. Escher and Maurice Sendak, and that wacky dream sequence in the dance hall that's loaded with sexual overtones.

EDIT: DCharlie--believe it or not, the commentary track on the Krull DVD is one of the best I've ever heard. Some of the participants defend it as a good movie, but some of them tear into it. The woman who plays the princess in it (Lysette Anthony) is a laugh riot.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
DCharlie said:

I was gonna get pissed if I came in to this thread and Krull wasn't here... it was actually on last week.. my Tivo recorded it as a suggestion and I watch different parts of it... hehe. love that movie.

EDIT: As Prospero said it's also not fair to not have:

B0000AUHOM.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Galen: You're back! I thank the powers that made me!
Ulrich: Glad to see you, too. You didn't bring along anything to eat, by any chance?
Galen: Food?

Also the film quality has sufferd over the years I still think the dragon in this movie ranks REALLY high up there with well done dragons, for movement, flying, etc....

Richiban

Falcor is not a fucking flying dog.

-1 for The Neverending Story.

As a movie, The Neverending Story was awesome, but compared to the source material, the book surpasses the movie in so many ways.

Sure they had to make it kid-friendly, but why couldn't Atreyu get to the Southern Oracle the real way instead of drowning in some mud and being saved by a floating poodle.

My pick for this thread is The Dark Crystal.

"Time Bandits" at the start of the 80s and "The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" near the end. get some Gilliam up in here or no vote.

Ok, of these choices, it's clearly The Princess Bride for me. I enjoy the others, and Willow and Legend as well, but of THESE choices, it's definetly Princess Bride.

On the other hand, Conan is probably the best but it has a very different feel from these films. And hey, lets not forget John Boorman's classic Excalibur! I love that film. Of the ones mentioned here in this thread, I own Coan the Barbarian, Exalibur, and The Princess Bride on DVD.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Daaaamn, so much love for Princess Bride, and I HAVEN'T seen that movie! I hope it's not too late now, these movies are best watched when you're a kid...

I would have to say Labyrinth. I was mesmerized by that movie as a kid, when I first saw it. I thought the main character (I had no clue who she was back then) was such an amazing girl :lol

ToxicAdam

Wilco, you failed on this thread. Leaving out Krull and DragonSlayer is criminal.

But I suppose it doesn't matter since Princess Bride would beat them all.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Princess Bride by far... next is the Beast Master

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom