• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hateful Eight screener leaked ahead of official release

Status
Not open for further replies.
At crappy DVD quality? Not tempted at all, I'd hate to ruin the first viewing like that.

I downloaded the sample, it's actually pretty damn good quality. Looks a little better than DVD I'd say.

Still gonna go to the cinema to see it.

No really, I am.

Hateful Eight on the other hand....looks blocky as hell. Definitely stay away from that. As someone else said, Tarantino films don't come around very often. Fuck watching it at lego-quality.

What kind of weirdo would want to watch a leaked screener for a Tarantino movie? I mean, if you're going to pirate it, at least wait for a quality rip. Don't watch it like this...

His films don't come around often enough.

Doesn't help that the movie releases later in Europe. January here.

What kind of weirdo would want to watch a leaked screener for a Tarantino movie? I mean, if you're going to pirate it, at least wait for a quality rip. Don't watch it like this...

His films don't come around often enough.

Perfect way to watch them as he was heavily influenced by movies he watched on the home video market. Goes back to the feeling of having pirate videos back I the 80's. I'm not going to cry for him as he watched many many movies illegally and admitted to it.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Perhaps releasing it in cinema's first, and only providing it to critics after a few weeks might be the solution? Surely critics are not in that much a hurry to see a movie.

moojito

Encrypted USB stick.

0429_5xpej.gif

I always wondered what film this was from. I checked out "fallen" the other day off the back of a random recommendation and this scene was in it! Pretty good film.

Anyhoo, QT must be like:

olB0hX5.gif

How many of them are unreleased movies?

How do these even leak out? The folks who leak it get some money or what?

I'm not sure about other unions in the entertainment industry, but I know that SAG (screen actors guild) members are sent screeners of a lot of films with notable performances (which are also typically best picture contenders) in order to cast votes for the SAG awards that take place at the end of January. It isn't terribly difficult to get into SAG, at least compared to something like the DGA (directors guild of america), so any down on his/her luck actor that wants to watch the world burn could throw their screeners online pretty easily. That said, they're encrypted in ways that tie those screeners directly back to you, so who ever leaked these is no longer a member of whatever union/guild/shadowy exclusive group they once were.

liquidtmd

Banned
I'm not sure about other unions in the entertainment industry, but I know that SAG (screen actors guild) members are sent screeners of a lot of films with notable performances (which are also typically best picture contenders) in order to cast votes for the SAG awards that take place at the end of January. It isn't terribly difficult to get into SAG, at least compared to something like the DGA (directors guild of america), so any down on his/her luck actor that wants to watch the world burn could throw their screeners online pretty easily. That said, they're encrypted in ways that tie those screeners directly back to you, so who ever leaked these is no longer a member of whatever union/guild/shadowy exclusive group they once were.

A problem for them but this happens EVERY year without fail so there is always someone ready to get excluded.

Its remarkable for its consistency

eloestmn

In 1994, While it was still airing in theaters, I had a VHS copy of Pulp Fiction that someone recorded off a LASERDISC.

Never forget dat EP quality.

I doubt this current leak hurts its box office too much though. I watched it already and its very good and Ill still be in the theaters to watch it Christmas weekend though.

Blue Lou

On the Nick Frost front, I heard him say he would check the torrent websites to see how Cuban Fury was doing. He said he was surprisingly proud to see it was downloaded a lot in the Florida region (presumably because of the Cubans) but then was instantly disappointed because people weren't watching it in the cinema and it wasn't making money.

entremet

No, the reason is that to judge the film DVD quality is enough and having BD screeners all over the web would be much worse. But the real question is why they still send out physical media instead of just handing out one time use streams of the movies.

You're asking too much from 60 years old plus white dudes.

Yeah, you tend to start getting dvd screeners for all the big films this time of the year, but I'll be supporting this in a theater, as I tend to do with Tarantino.

I'm not trying to police you guys or anything, but admitting to piracy used to result in an instant ban. I'm also aware that music piracy talk has been allowed for a while now, so I'm not sure if a double standard is in play here or not.

So worse than the usual acadamy award leaks? The ones thay say for your consideration.

Hateful Eight is definitely worse than the usual quality leaks we'd see. Revenant and Creed are about what you'd normally expect. I saw a Carol leak, but no screengrabs, so can't speak to its quality.

All based on the screebgrabs posted with the leaks.

kinggroin

Banned
Perfect way to watch them as he was heavily influenced by movies he watched on the home video market. Goes back to the feeling of having pirate videos back I the 80's. I'm not going to cry for him as he watched many many movies illegally and admitted to it.

That's one way to justify piracy.

Why not just say. "Meh. I'd rather not pay to see this."

Is it off base to assume this happens almost every year now?

Happens every single year. It even happened with the movie you got your avatar from. There will always be screener leaks, I used to get the old VHS ones from a friend of my father that voted for the academy.

TheDanger

Banned
Hateful Eight is definitely worse than the usual quality leaks we'd see. Revenant and Creed are about what you'd normally expect. I saw a Carol leak, but no screengrabs, so can't speak to its quality.

All based on the screebgrabs posted with the leaks.

Yeah I just checked it out, the res is 720x260 :( so there are people who have to review movies in this kind of quality or what?

styl3s

All the Oscar candidates are going to get leaked. It happens every year. It's what happens when you send out thousands of DVDs.
Yup.

Every year this happens although i believe Django didn't leak till january along with a few other films. I doubt this will happen with Star Wars because disney had the foresight to not send it in for award season.

It's not just about the story, for example I'm sure you could rate the way the movie is shot better in HD.

Those are vidya games, with film it's completely irrelevant for being able to tell actor faces or the competence of the shot or sound. Story quality doesn't magically appear by upping the resolution. Kind of why I loved that comment on Tree of Life in this thread, as if that would make it a good movie. A literal polished turd.

Why did Tarantino shoot the movie at 70mm then?

I imagine the aspect ratio ( 2.20:1 ), which would transfer poorly to a home viewing. Most would see it at 35mm ( 2.35:1), which creates some black bars if I remember correctly. The primary use of 70mm appears to be just IMAX though, so that would be it. But that's theatre only anyway.

entremet

Those are vidya games, with film it's completely irrelevant for being able to tell actor faces or the competence of the shot or sound. Story quality doesn't magically appear by upping the resolution. Kind of why I loved that comment on Tree of Life in this thread, as if that would make it a good movie. A literal polished turd.

While I agree with you, there are technical awards too.

I wonder if those are handled the same way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom