• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The High-end VR Discussion Thread (HTC Vive, Oculus Rift, Playstation VR)

I doubt it 'slipped by them'. I'm sure it's just something that didn't get done in time, like a lot of other clearly missing features.

It just doesn't make sense to me from a development standpoint not to have designed the install functionality with a configurable install directory from the start, just leaving the UI element to be the only thing needed to give the user control.

I haven't gotten my Vive shipping email or my Rift apology email. If I don't have one of these headsets at my house next week I'm going to lose my mind.

It just doesn't make sense to me from a development standpoint not to have designed the install functionality with a configurable install directory from the start, just leaving the UI element to be the only thing needed to give the user control.

Well, it's hardly uncommon for a store to launch without this functionality. Steam went years before they let you put your games on a different hard drive to your install directory.

Compsiox

Banned
My only complaint about the Vive is that the cord spirals and you have to untwist it.

As expected the Vive also has that halo effect when there is white on black but it hasn't really been an issue at all

Well, it's hardly uncommon for a store to launch without this functionality. Steam went years before they let you put your games on a different hard drive to your install directory.

Yes, I know, but now, it's so abundantly clear that it's critical. Steam was built during a different time. It should have been there but was a less apparent issue pre-SSD. Valve did take there time though. SteamMover was the best option for a long time.

Another thing is that there is no reason to buy "multi-HMD" games from the Oculus store sadly.

The friendlist is bad (you cant even chat yet).
No refunds.
No cloud saves.
No community-features.
Can only install on C:\ now.
The storefront doesnt even have browsable categories now besides "experiences", games and apps.
No reviews.
No "cards".
No achievements.

I don't care for the last two, but you are totally right. In comparison Oculus store is lacking, so it's another thing that right now, Steam does better.

Riptwo

My only complaint about the Vive is that the cord spirals and you have to untwist it.

As expected the Vive also has that halo effect when there is white on black but it hasn't really been an issue at all
Yeah, that's how I feel about the halos on the Rift. They definitely exist, but they haven't been a distraction.

TheCrow

Has anyone tried theses headsets on kids? Would they even fit?

vr-fall.gif

Zalusithix

Maybe we'll see slip rings created with HDMI+USB+power and sold as a consumer friendly product. Probably not, but not impossible. Not sure if it'd be worth it vs simply unplugging and doing a quick untwist.

TheCrow

You'd be surprised how many people try to place their controllers down on virtual desks only to hear them hit the ground.

Mathieran

Banned
Oh man that gif is hilarious. When I get my PSVR I'm gonna have to take some video of my 8 year old trying some stuff out. I know she won't be walking around but I bet she will have some good reactions.

viveks86

Adrft coming to Vive in May

You’ve been asking for ADR1FT to support other HMDs, and today Three One Zero and 505 Games are excited to announce that ADR1FT is coming to the HTC Vive in May! If you’ve purchased ADR1FT on Steam already, there’s nothing extra you need to do; We will issue an update to the game that makes the game compatible with Vive. Simply launch the game, put your HMD on, and you’ll be playing in virtual reality!

Inter-pupillary distance. The distance between your pupils.
The IPD of children below 12 is usually too small for them to see the stereo images through the lenses.

It's not just that really, but the fear that children under a certain age might not have fully developed their 3D spatial awareness and VR could mess with that quite a bit. I tend to play everything on the safe side and will do doubly so with new tech especially when it comes to children.

Wallach

I have a feeling this game will be much better with tracked motion controllers so you can actually reach out and grab objects instead of awkwardly controlling the astronaut's hands with an analog stick and triggers.

It doesn't support tracked controllers. Gamepad or M/KB only at the moment.

DirtyLarry

Just got an email from Oculus...

We know you're anxious to receive your Oculus Rift and apologize for not updating your order status sooner. We've been working through an unexpected component shortage, and unfortunately, that issue has impacted the original shipping estimates for some early customers.

We're working hard to get up-to-date ship windows, and you should expect to see your order status updated on oculus.com by Tuesday, April 12. Although many Rifts will be arriving on schedule and in line with original estimates, we'll be covering shipping and handling costs for all orders placed through today.

We're shipping rifts everyday. Don't hesitate to reach out to the Oculus support team if you have additional questions.

The Oculus Team
So if I am reading that right they are covering shipping? That is nice even if it sounds like it may be even longer than expected. I actually am fine with it taking longer as I still need to build a new PC.

And no plans to add it?

Wow, what a wasted opportunity.
They've talked about it a lot. They'd need to have massively overhauled the game. They were deep in development by the time they found out about the motion controllers. Either way, not every game needs or should be room scale. he'll be plenty that are though, don't worry.

Evo X

They've talked about it a lot. They'd need to have massively overhauled the game. They were deep in development by the time they found out about the motion controllers. Either way, not every game needs or should be room scale. he'll be plenty that are though, don't worry.

I'm not talking about room scale, just have the astronauts arms be tracked with the controllers so you can grab oxygen, key cards, etc.

Krejlooc

Banned

tracking your hands != room scale

Wallach

And no plans to add it?

Wow, what a wasted opportunity.

Doesn't sound like it.

Kind of understand the issue, though. You're playing a dude in floating zero G while your own arms naturally aren't. There's a whole bunch of things to solve in that case to not make it feel weird, or too disconnected from what is shown in-game. It's something that would need design considerations that they probably don't consider in scope at the moment.

viveks86

tracking your hands != room scale

For some reason, Adam seemed to thing it was too challenging to map 1:1 motion controls in his game. I guess he has way too many canned hand animations (flailing around, transitions etc) that he would have to discard. But other than that, I can't see what the big deal is.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
For some reason, Adam seemed to thing it was too challenging to map 1:1 motion controls in his game. I guess he has way too many canned hand animations (flailing around, transitions etc) that he would have to discard. But other than that, I can't see what the big deal is.

I can imagine similar issues to golem. In a spacesuit you couldn't easily map arm movements 1:1 because in space your arms would move much more slowly than in real life.

Then you'd need IK because it shows the full arms, and that isn't fully reliable when tracking just a held controller (see will smiths foom for good examples)

Also simply from a business point of view, it could not be worth their while to redo things jus for vive users.

Compsiox

Banned
Cross Post

Haptic feedback is almost as important as roomscale. SelfieTennis makes it so that you can literally feel the swings of the racket. Not the contact with the ball. The ACT of swinging. Its amazing. One of the most immersive experiences I've had so far. Furthermore, the vibrations vary significantly or at least seem to. The range of vibrations seems to go from minor to strong. For the swings they do very fast minor vibrations. When you hit it does to a stronger vibration. The vibrations do seem to be throughout your palm.

sammex

Durante

Do we now have a single number metric for CV1 FOV?

As I recall it's approx 94h 93v but with a square projection.
Total binocular FoV at ideal eye relief is 94° x 93° on CV1 with a rectangular-ish image and 110° x 113° on Vive with a round image.

gmoran

So these single number FOV metrics are perhaps part empirical and part marketing?

Given competitors are using these metrics then perhaps 100' would be fair: taking into account rectangular shape and a bit of rounding?

Zaptruder

Banned
pAuupyY.jpg

Generally you're not gonna get a single number metric, but the max possible fov seems to be 93x84

That's the number for a single lens. The text under that table contains the stereo FOV (which was imperfectly measured by Doc Ok's own admission), which is approx 94H x 93V. Also, the shape of the display is such that it's weakest with a horizontal and vertical FOV measurement and best with a diagonal (why isn't that a valid form of FOV measurement?), while the Vive is the opposite.

What annoys me about this whole FOV gate deal is that people still dismiss the validity of the choices made for the numbers that provide a misleading understanding of the situation.

Basically, Oculus went with the shape of the viewable area and the shape of the lens (which impacted the FOV) so as to strike a good balance between FOV, SDE and pixel density. They chose to reduce the FOV so as to increase the amount of pixels used on the screen...

and the result in practice is that the perception of the difference in field of view between the Vive and the Rift is negligible to slight (depending on the person and how far their eyes are from the lens).

As if Oculus doesn't have enough real issues to contend with, they gotta have this B.S. problem of people griping about FOV numbers.

Top Bottom