• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hill: Trump to roll back protections for transgender students

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never said anything about people not caring locally, don't put words in my mouth just because I'm not shining rainbows up everyone's ass. There are still people who think the Trump administration aren't going after gay rights due to the backlash, and moves like this is just paving the way slowly but surely. Sorry that's too real for you, but it is what it is.

I never said that they won't try and roll back the protections. That's exactly what this article is talking about! Yes, it's a fact that they're going after it and I acknowledge it.

However, with how much progress the LGBT community has made over these years, do you really think that that's all going to go away now so easily? Paving the way towards what? A complete systematic elimination of LGBT people? Do you really think something like that WILL happen? Like, 100% at this point?

You really need to look long and hard at what people on the local level can achieve. Yes, I'm aware of the reality of what the Trump administration is trying to do. What you need to do, is to not automatically assume that every battle fought from now on is automatically by default a losing one.

It's not only unhealthy, it makes the people around you miserable as well and less inclined to take a stand. Which is NOT the attitude needed right now.

Blader

This isn't about nihilism or whatever, I am stating a fact. The Muslim Travel Ban was defeated in court, it was never at any point rolled back by the administration outside allowing green card users through, and that was more a miscommunication issue than a backlash.

I never said anything about people not caring locally, don't put words in my mouth just because I'm not shining rainbows up everyone's ass. There are still people who think the Trump administration aren't going after gay rights due to the backlash, and moves like this is just paving the way slowly but surely. Sorry that's too real for you, but it is what it is.

It was not a miscommunication. The EO explicitly banned green card holders. DHS wanted to overrule that, Bannon said no. It was exactly the backlash that forced the administration to make exceptions for green card holders.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Beaten but still. Not much to be said that hasn't been many times already.

58177a15150000d804530d10.jpeg

What truly gets me about this picture is that it looks like some asshole literally dug that flag out of a closet somewhere, took a black sharpie marker and wrote that "LGTB for Trump" message in about 30 seconds before shoving it into Trump's hands right before he went on. Talk about half assing it.

Glix

Because it's not really about bathrooms. It's a message to trans people that they're not welcome in public society at all.

This CANNOT be repeated enough. The bathroom stuff does not stand up to scrutiny AT ALL. As I think everyone is aware that some jacked up, shaved head, tattooed transgender individual going into the girls room is probably gonna fuck with your 7 year old daughter, more than someone that looks pretty ladylike but has an adams apple.

Another thing that gets me about trans rights threads on GAF is that they always turn into arguments about other things. Like, damn. At least it's keeping the thread active, but it's like we don't even exist, or our rights are only a launching off point for you to get your message in.

I never said that they won't try and roll back the protections. That's exactly what this article is talking about! Yes, it's a fact that they're going after it and I acknowledge it.

However, with how much progress the LGBT community has made over these years, do you really think that that's all going to go away now so easily? Paving the way towards what? A complete systematic elimination of LGBT people? Do you really think something like that WILL happen? Like, 100% at this point?

You really need to look long and hard at what people on the local level can achieve. Yes, I'm aware of the reality of what the Trump administration is trying to do. What you need to do, is to not automatically assume that every battle fought from now on is automatically by default a losing one.

It's not only unhealthy, it makes the people around you miserable as well and less inclined to take a stand. Which is NOT the attitude needed right now.

Now, you're just shifting this to something else. Never said anything about anything vanishing, or anyone, etc. You are totally taking my comments in a different way. As I mentioned, there are still people who thought Trump would not go after LBGT rights for various reasons, one of which is the massive backlash that would surely offer once they went after the LB and G part of that especially. I was simply stating they need to be ready, because with moves like this it's pretty obvious they are working to that, and the administration has shown that backlashes don't matter to them, or at least not that much.

It was not a miscommunication. The EO explicitly banned green card holders. DHS wanted to overrule that, Bannon said no. It was exactly the backlash that forced the administration to make exceptions for green card holders.

I stand corrected then. But the overall ban was still in effect besides the backlash surrounding it. It wasn't rolled back, it was forcefully stopped.

Not

Banned
Fuuuuuuuuuck you.

He doesn't give a shit about human lives that are different than in his own, even a sliver.

SCOTUS already agreed to hear a case on whether Title IX applies to Transgender people, so whatever Trump was going to do on this front was irrelevant in the first place.

Not a good look either way though.

Jarsonot

This is a tricky problem to handle, I think.

If you say kids can go in the bathroom of their gender it's too open for abuse, imo. I can imagine boys that will SAY they identify female just to get in the girls bathroom. It will be a small minority, but that's enough to cause problems. And so how do you determine who's legit or not?

Unisex bathrooms would solve this, but may not be realistic in some schools. Adding a new bathroom may not be a realistic option, so schools could convert bathrooms to unisex. But then there are some kids who would feel uncomfortable using a bathroom with the opposite gender. Depending on the layout of the school this could mean walking fairly far away from classrooms to the bathroom. It could turn into a logistical nightmare.

I'm just saying that it's tricky, that it's going to be hard to find one solution that works for every school in the country, so the wording might be strange.

If you say kids can go in the bathroom of their gender it's too open for abuse, imo. I can imagine boys that will SAY they identify female just to get in the girls bathroom. It will be a small minority, but that's enough to cause problems. And so how do you determine who's legit or not?

Unisex bathrooms would solve this, but may not be realistic in some schools. Adding a new bathroom may not be a realistic option, so schools could convert bathrooms to unisex. But then there are some kids who would feel uncomfortable using a bathroom with the opposite gender. Depending on the layout of the school this could mean walking fairly far away from classrooms to the bathroom. It could turn into a logistical nightmare.

I'm just saying that it's tricky, that it's going to be hard to find one solution that works for every school in the country, so the wording might be strange.
70 posts.
Oh no, the poor uncomfortable cis kids! Whatever shall they DoOoOo? Also, the "rapists will use this get into your women's restrooms!" has been proven bullshit time and time again, and is just a sexist way for transphobes to push their shitty agenda.
Transfolks are never actually taken into consideration in this argument, regardless of the fact that WE ARE THE ONES IT WOULD BE AFFECTING. It's always "oh, won't somebody think of the children/women/cis people!" Our mental health is never taken into account. The safety of a passing trans person being forced to use the restroom of the gender they don't identify as is never considered. Just remember, every time a trans person is raped or murdered because they couldn't use the restroom they needed to, it's your fault. Period.

Jeels

I wonder what that transgender person I know who voted for Trump thinks about this? I guess it's okay so long as brown people are suffering too...

Fuck off with your sexual predator boogeyman, how about

I wonder what that transgender person I know who voted for Trump thinks about this? I guess it's okay so long as brown people are suffering too...
It's an interesting philosophical question. How far are certain minority groups willing to suffer so long as another minority group they don't like might suffer even more? A twisted version of #FuckYouGotMine where everyone loses! ...Or they could just vote for a party with equal rights as their official platform, of course.
How does this fix the US economy?
Conspiracy theory: This is a plan by Democrats to gift to various labor unions by requiring that all bathrooms in the US be demolished and replaced with unisex versions. That'd be a lot of jobs!

Any system that is adequate can be abused. So populists push for inadequate systems which benefit nobody.

I guess common sense on the part of the teacher. Immature boys on the wind up are easy to spot, since they will have a history of disruption.

If a male conspires to anything more sinister it becomes an issue of sexual harassment. I don't think there's much to worry about, tbh.

Edit: as mentioned, it's a boogeyman

manakel

I work in a middle school where we have a student that identifies as transgender, and I can assure you that this is not an issue; children are more accepting and understanding than adults are. It's just a boogeyman tactic that bigots resort to.

Copper

It's like he specifically looks for things to attack people with and make lives worse. This isn't just something you decide one morning to do.

Steel

Banned
Wonder how Trump expects people like me to feel about this. Should I be saying: thank you, Trump for protecting us from the Islamist hordes that would execute us just for existing! Or some bullshit like that?

Wonder how Trump expects people like me to feel about this. Should I be saying: thank you, Trump for protecting us from the Islamist hordes that would execute us just for existing! Or some bullshit like that?
Lol, he doesn't give a fuck what we think. He got his four years (probably eight) and we don't actually register as real humans to the government.

kmax

If you're not white, male and cis - you're fucked under Trump.

How anyone outside that special privileged group is supporting the likes of this guy is beyond me.

Trump: I stand by my support of LGBT citizens, who by the way love me and support me overwhelmingly despite fake news that says otherwise.

Reporter: What about transgender individuals?

Trump: Is that what the T stands for?

Kind of weak argument considering there's absolutely nothing stopping a straight male from going into a woman's bathroom now, and statistically...straight men are way more likely to do all these boogiemen things you people are ascribing to transfolks.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

You do realize that rapists, sexual predators, child abusers and so on have been doing their sick shit long before the Trans bathroom debate? They're doing illegal, immoral and disgusting shit so why exactly were they going to be following the rules of etiquette revolving around what bathroom they use in the first place. The last thing I'm sure they're concerned about is whether or not they can use this bathroom or that one. Its not like a pedophile was like,"Oh now that trans people can use a certain bathroom its so much easier for me to rape and molest!".

Cat Party

It's not tricky. No one is out there pretending to be trans to abuse women.

Shoeless

I think it's probably something along these lines. Voting for Trump was fueled by hate and/or fear. People were willing to give up rights and privileges if it meant that people they didn't trust or like were going to suffer. So if there was a transgender Trump voter, it's possible their own hatred of Muslims made them think "As long as those guys are getting shafted, this is worth it."

royalan

There's nothing stopping boys from doing this now.

This is a ridiculous thing to be afraid of. I mean, what do people even think happens in the bathroom? You go into a fucking private stall.

Jarsonot

70 posts.
Oh no, the poor uncomfortable cis kids! Whatever shall they DoOoOo? Also, the "rapists will use this get into your women's restrooms!" has been proven bullshit time and time again, and is just a sexist way for transphobes to push their shitty agenda.
Transfolks are never actually taken into consideration in this argument, regardless of the fact that WE ARE THE ONES IT WOULD BE AFFECTING. It's always "oh, won't somebody think of the children/women/cis people!" Our mental health is never taken into account. The safety of a passing trans person being forced to use the restroom of the gender they don't identify as is never considered. Just remember, every time a trans person is raped or murdered because they couldn't use the restroom they needed to, it's your fault. Period.

I have a reasonable opinion on this, presented in a calm manner. If you want to be taken seriously stop attacking people and start attacking the argument.

Fuck off with your sexual predator boogeyman, how about

This too. I get it, this is a touchy subject, but you should try rational dialog.

Any system that is adequate can be abused. So populists push for inadequate systems which benefit nobody.

I guess common sense on the part of the teacher. Immature boys on the wind up are easy to spot, since they will have a history of disruption.

If a male conspires to anything more sinister it becomes an issue of sexual harassment. I don't think there's much to worry about, tbh.

Edit: as mentioned, it's a boogeyman

It's NOT common sense on part of the teacher if the law demands any student who claims female can use the female restroom. I agree that it won't be hugely abused, but you're setting precedents with laws. I'm saying it is trick to get right, to hopefully avoid abuse.

I work in a middle school where we have a student that identifies as transgender, and I can assure you that this is not an issue; children are more accepting and understanding than adults are. It's just a boogeyman tactic that bigots resort to.

This is a law for the entire nation. You may feel that right now, in your school, it won't be a problem, but one must take into account every school.

Do you seriously think this is cut & dry? That there may be people offended whichever way this goes? I am all for transgender rights, but I think thought and care are needed with a unilateral nation wide law.

Glix

This too. I get it, this is a touchy subject, but you should try rational dialog..

Touchy subject? You know exactly what you are doing and its gross.

Show me one study, ONE, that shows that a Trans person is more likely to molest someone in a bathroom than a non trans person.

One.

Do you seriously think this is cut & dry?

Yes.

That there may be people offended whichever way this goes?

There's a difference between being offended and treating people as subhuman sexual predators.

I am all for transgender rights, but I think thought and care are needed with a unilateral nation wide law.

If the bolded is true then there is only one outcome that you should even be considering.

Steel

Banned
This too. I get it, this is a touchy subject, but you should try rational dialog.

It's NOT common sense on part of the teacher if the law demands any student who claims female can use the female restroom. I agree that it won't be hugely abused, but you're setting precedents with laws. I'm saying it is trick to get right, to hopefully avoid abuse.

This is a law for the entire nation. You may feel that right now, in your school, it won't be a problem, but one must take into account every school.

Do you seriously think this is cut & dry? That there may be people offended whichever way this goes? I am all for transgender rights, but I think thought and care are needed with a unilateral nation wide law.

It's telling that you avoided the posts basically saying there's nothing stopping a male from entering a female restroom as it stands. It's not like a security guard is stationed outside every bathroom.

I have a reasonable opinion on this, presented in a calm manner. If you want to be taken seriously stop attacking people and start attacking the argument.

No, you have what you think is a reasonable opinion based on absolutely no facts. Let's be clear: you're talking about a demographic that has a greater than 50% suicide rate, and you think people will pretend to join that demographic, with all the bullying and mental abuse that entails, just to get into the women's bathroom?

BeesEight

There is nothing reasonable about your "opinion." Not only does it perpetuate dangerous and untrue stereotypes (like "boys just can't help molesting girls" and "transgender people are just deviants trying to prey on innocent women") but even a minute of self reflection would have spared yourself some backlash for revealing how empty your "concern" is. Put bluntly, you are woefully ignorant on the issue of transgender rights and even a cursory look into the research on the topic would expose your opinion for being as uninformed as it is mean spirited.

In short, no, there is not a concern about boys sneaking into the girls bathroom to peep on them or whatever you think school kids are going to try and do by allowing transgender children use the bathroom that matches their identity. To even be identified as transgendered requires more than "waking up one day and feeling a little girly." Perhaps we can consider who is "legit" by listening to the experts who have actually dedicated their lives to researching and understanding the phenomenon or the people this actually affects instead of handwringing over hypotheticals that have not played out in real life at all despite these types of laws already passing in a bunch of places.

I mean, your argument isn't really reasonable and is rooted in bigoted thinking. I mean, you may not mean it that way per say, but you should be aware of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom