• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hong Kong Massacre (underappreciated indie twin stick shooter) has bludgeoned my heart

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Yes my friends, it's that time of the week again where I unearth a hidden gaming gem that went fairly unnoticed and got subpar reviews, mostly because it's too hard and reviewers are casuals. The AI and shooting physics are great and the only thing cheap about it is the few bucks I paid for it.

Unfortunately you won't appreciate this one until you git gud but when you do holy crud is ever fun.

While it's not graphically spectacular, the story is just tacked on, and it's a bit on the short side, who cares because gameplay is king and this is one of the most fun and challenging twin stick shooters out there that really gives out some strong Max Payne meets Postal vibes.

xrnzaaas

The game unfortunately isn't as great as I hoped. There's just not enough variety - the only new enemy type you get during the game are the
guys in bulletproof vests
and even the boss fights are based on the same concept. I'd love to play a bigger sequel, because the actual combat is done well.

Last edited:

Ozzie666

Looking at this makes me wish Team 17 would do a new modern installment or remake of Alien Breed with glorious graphics and twin stick shooting game play. It would work and it would be fantastic. Obviously, Aliens would be better :) Thats what this reminded me of right away.

Also made me remember the upcoming twin stick shooter CYGNI All Guns Blazing.

FrozenFlame

Eh, honestly, the star system was a huge turn off for me. Makes no sense that the game punishes you for using an advertised game mechanic (slow motion).

this game was on my ps4 and now ps5 dashboard and I just can't force myself to try to get the platinum.
I play it 2-3 times a month and I stop after 30min. that "every bullet needs to hit the target" run is the stupidest thing they could possibly put in this game.
just that thing makes me say "fuck this game". I love the chaos and the sparks and destruction but, if the platinum is impossible to get, I can't stand those games.

anthony2690

Banned
Looking at this makes me wish Team 17 would do a new modern installment or remake of Alien Breed with glorious graphics and twin stick shooting game play. It would work and it would be fantastic. Obviously, Aliens would be better :) Thats what this reminded me of right away.

Also made me remember the upcoming twin stick shooter CYGNI All Guns Blazing.

I hope Cygni turns out great!

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Nothing will ever surpass Hotline Miami, many tried, they all failed. The soundtrack is half of what also made it amazing.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Nothing will ever surpass Hotline Miami, many tried, they all failed. The soundtrack is half of what also made it amazing.
Combat is nothing alike.

This is bullethell and the shooting is really good and tough.

oh_i_get_it_chris_farley.gif

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Game is totally sick. I loved it. I turned the music off completely though and just played it in tense silence.

The stars dramatically affect how you play. Get a 100% accuracy run with max slow mo abuse. Then play that same level with no slo mo and you're frantically firing off whole clips in blind fire to try and take out people without getting clipped.

Just don't bother with it on Switch. I bought it a 2nd time to have it on the go but its not optimized well enough to be worth it.

Top Bottom