• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Human Eye CAN'T see more than 30fps when there are 100 frames or MORE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of the most debatable statistics is whether or not the human eye can see more than 30fps, the correct answer has always been no, but the debate still goes on based on ignorance of how Frame Rate works with computer animations. THE HUMAN EYE CAN'T SEE more than 30.

The reason why tech has caused mass confusion is that people are comparing low quantity animation frames against each other, or bad hardware is at fault. When you do you'll realize that IF any animation has more than 100 solid frames (SiF) of animation, the animation will link up in sync, as long as there's no edits or obstructions. While if there are less than over 100 frames of animation the speed of the render will get through the cycle way too fast which causes a "60fps" image to appear more smooth and at a higher speed. and a "30fps" image to seem slow and choppy. Clunkyness and choppiness has nothing to do with frame rate, that has to do with hardware or software imitation in what is being rendered. When you put pictures and animations next to each other with over 100 frames in animation in a solid clean area, then the hardware in most cases doesn't matter.

Example:

iyFIVDf.gif
NAmEaq8.gif

These are two different pictures of a similar animation. The one on the left is 30fps, the one on the right is 60fps. Both of these have over 100 frames per animation, and they are identical.

This shows that the human eye cannot see more than 30fps unless an obstruction is involved which would make one or the other seem faster or slower. But in a neutral space they will always be the same.

For example here is a 30fps vs. 60fps example:

nPblod2.gif

This is a false misdirection. The image shows differences in frame-rates between 30fps and 60fps, however this difference is caused by computer hardware and the software (which in this case would be an older version of game maker). The hardware dials back specs to run at 30 frames per-second OR it cuts the animations down to a number below 100 which the hardware will cycle through faster causing jerkiness. It's similar to the 30 vs. 60 in racing games, the hardware could run that 30fps mode in 60fps, but the reason why games will be at 30fps is for only THREE reasons:

1. The game it too ambitious for the hardware to handle which results in 30fps and chugs.

2. The game dials back hardware to run more smoothly at 30fps than with some hiccups at 60.

3. Animations are cut for 30fps.

But when you have say, a race track that can run at both 30fps and 60fps smoothly with no issues, and there is no dialing back in hardware, that 30fps will not be possible to obtain and will automatically run AS IF it were at 60fps. Why? Because when you get 100 frames of animation with no obstruction, as shown in the first comparison at the top of the page, you CAN'T see the difference. Something has to CAUSE the differences to show up EXTERNALLY. But if in a neutral environment, it will NEVER not be at 60fps to the human eye.

Here's another more complex example of a neutral environment:

rJA5KUw.gif
QURgJCt.gif

Once again this rendering is in a neutral space with 100 solid frames (SiF) or over. Left is 30 right is 60. The Human eye cannot tell the difference if there are no outside factors or external obstructions.

So yes, for games, we won't see this for maybe another generation, but when there are much higher caps than the tools can make, then we will no longer be discussing frame-rates, just like we rarely discuss polygons anymore. Right now, hardware and software have many external obstructions that effects what we perceive as frame-rate that doesn't really exist on its own without errors in hardware and software. Currently, we have tools that allow us to be ambitious beyond the hardware, and that's been a thing for decades. But once the actual specifications cap is much higher than what the tools can produce all games will be running the same outside bugs.

So basically, the Human eye in neutral space cannot see more than 30fps. It can see BELOW 30fps, but not above 30fps. This is also why some optimized games at 30fps can trick many people into thinking its 60. it's all about if the animations are in a neutral space.

Hopefully this wakes up more people and makes you all more aware of some of the misleading perceptions about graphics and animations.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
I was brought up on pc gaming with 120fps gaming being the norm for me for decades.

Sorry but I can see 30, 60 and 120, quite easily. And so can many others. If you’re trained to see it, you can see it, it’s not hard.

Only January and we already got the thread of the year.

I though "bluray is detrimental to the gaming industry" and "Superior master race outlet Chinese taowin says Xbox sold 70 million units" were not going to be topped, but the year just started. :)

But let me be serious and address the thread here. I think in your fist and third examples you went to imgur and uploaded the same picture twice, which gives you two different urls, and then placed them side by side to make this absurd claim that a neutral space (also known as lol) will make it impossible to distinguish between 30 and 60fps.

But let me assume that wasn't the case, why are you saying a GIF ANIMATION running on BAD HARDWARE is causing the green cubes to have different levels of "smoothness"? Because most peoples computers and 5 year old phones can run gifs, are you saying the gif itself was made IN Gamemaker and they coded a game that just had blocks moving up at different frame rates? Because that's not how game maker works.

If we can see 120fps wouldn't that means that all games running smooth at 30fps and 60fps on a 120fps monitor run the 30fps game at 60fps? I ask because it doesn't,

Why would the abbreviation for Solid Frames be SiF?

Why would console makers give devs tools that don't take advantage of the hardware?

How is a spinning wire-frame toilet drain more complex than a bunch of floating rotating multi-colored building blocks?

How come you told us the green cubes were made in Game Maker, but won't tell us what is rendering the 1st and 3rd images?

Do you think that frame rates are because the chinese gave us Blu-ray and if we had went with HD-DVD all games would be 120fps? Would the Xbox One sell 70 million units along with 1% of china if the Xbox One X has a UHD HD-DVD drive? Or do you think it would only sell 7-10k?

(10 points for those who got the last reference. )

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Good read OP, but can you clarify what a neutral space is in this context? I also don't understand the frames of animation reference. Are you saying that games running at a lower framerate inherently have less detailed animations? That doesn't really make any sense.

Last edited:

kingwingin

I dont realy understand, is this like supersampling but with framerate?

Like how filming real life at 24 frames makes a smooth video because real life moves in a smooth constant motion?

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Fascinating topic!

I’ve always wondered if there was a ‘fps’ that is most natural to human existence. Of course our eyes are analog, not digital, so it may not even be that clear cut. Interesting to think about

Where’s a Hellpoint Dev when you need one?

Or are they only for speculating future console specs?

Either way I need an adult to make sense of this.

I use OW to demonstrate differences between 30/60/120/144 to people. 30 is not smooth and is easily discernible. The gap between 30 and 60 is huge but 120 to 144 is a bit less presciptable.

Good read OP, but can you clarify what a neutral space is in this context?
I can easily tell the difference between 30 and 60 even 45 and 30, and it's always been that way.

Answering both, a Neutral space has no external obstructions.

For example, the only reason why DeepEnigma can see differences is because hardware and-or software can MAKE him see difference. But when you have two of the same next to each other with over 100 frames of animation and o hardware choppiness. as shown in the OP, they are exactly the same.

If I have a racing game or a shooter running at 30fps it is often due to the hardware scaling back for 30fps, or the animations having less than 100 frames. This causes the hardware to cycle through the animation faster, so for 60fps games, the animation appears faster and less choppy when see it on a screen. However, if you were to create a race track that can easily be run on a piece of hardware, with no obstructions, at 30fps and 60fps, the 30fps version will look like 60fps on the screen. Because nothing is causing the choppiness and slowdown.

Games are filled with obstructions. That's why you can have two 60fps games and have one look less smooth than the other despite both being "stable' as they say. For example, if you were to take the Atari game asteroids, and optimize two versions for it on the PS4, one version at 30fps and one at 60fps, you will not see a difference.

But that would only work if the game was optimized for it. On some emulators for Atari asteroids may run better or worse based on how the emulator is optimized and how well it works with the computer you're running it on. But if those factors are gone you're not going to see a difference at either frame rate on screen.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
But let me be serious and address the thread here. I think in your fist and third examples you went to imgur and uploaded the same picture twice, which gives you two different urls, and then placed them side by side to make this absurd claim that a neutral space (also known as lol) will make it impossible to distinguish between 30 and 60fps.
They are the exact same image, down to the byte. The guy's just having a laugh.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
The human eye has no fixed scan rate. The number of frames you take in is based on a number of factors including how many saccades your eyes go through. I wrote a thing on this.

tl;dr our eyes don't work like a rolling camera. Instead, we take successive snapshots at varying speeds and aperture sizes.

The OP is misguided.

Answering both, a Neutral space has no external obstructions.

For example, the only reason why DeepEnigma can see differences is because hardware and-or software can MAKE him see difference. But when you have two of the same next to each other with over 100 frames of animation and o hardware choppiness. as shown in the OP, they are exactly the same.

If I have a racing game or a shooter running at 30fps it is often due to the hardware scaling back for 30fps, or the animations having less than 100 frames. This causes the hardware to cycle through the animation faster, so for 60fps games, the animation appears faster and less choppy when see it on a screen. However, if you were to create a race track that can easily be run on a piece of hardware, with no obstructions, at 30fps and 60fps, the 30fps version will look like 60fps on the screen. Because nothing is causing the choppiness and slowdown.

I'll give you credit man, if you had combined your first two and last two images into ONE image than it would have been harder to determine if you didn't just upload the same picture to imagur twice.

Also i found the link to that third example: https://www.burtkilgore.com/2018/03/10/the-void-of-my-writing/

Doesn't say anything about frames but does talk about potato chip disasters. Yum.

Shifty

An age-old subject for rabbling if ever I saw one. Quite the feat of misdirection too, like that math paper that claimed to prove zero and one were in fact the same thing.

latest

Last edited:

Sejan

The first comparison and the third are comparing the same image.

The first two are both exactly 255,899 bytes.
The third two pictures are both exactly 1,373,435 bytes.

There are three possible option here.
1. You are intentionally being misleading and "comparing" the same image to itself.
2. You are unintentionally being misleading by accidently uploading the same image twice on two distinct occasions.
3. Imgur did some strangeness and decided that these pictures were so similar to each other that they only kept one version of these despite the fps difference.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!

1. You are intentionally being misleading and "comparing" the same image to itself.
2. You are unintentionally being misleading by accidently uploading the same image twice on two distinct occasions.
3. Imgur did some strangeness and decided that these pictures were so similar to each other that they only kept one version of these despite the fps difference.
They are the same image, I have confirmed this definitively. It wouldn't have been very hard to make the appear different either, the OP is just lame.

Last edited:
Where’s a Hellpoint Dev when you need one?

Or are they only for speculating future console specs?

Either way I need an adult to make sense of this.

It's all about adults see:

It's basically this, you have a 30 year old man and a 60 year old man.

The 30 year old has a scooter due to the potato chip truck incident in 93. Which goes at 3mph. The 60 year old has a cane, but can still run a bit, at 3.5 mph.

So the 60 year old will remain faster than the 30 year old man in spite of the scooter.

See, it all makes sense. Well, I guess that does contradict the OP since he's saying that the speed is an illusion and somehow both men are at the same speed but whateva.

Makariel

Yeah, no, the difference between 60 fps and 120 is very noticeable. Source: I have two screens with different refresh rate on my desk. Guess which one I use for gaming?

Alebrije

rejection.gif

I knwo OP put effort on the post but this has been proved wrong may times , the same this controverse emerges every year

Last edited:

Kagero

OP must be trolling right? First and last slide has no difference. Seems to be running at the same FPS. I can notice when I'm playing a 30 fps game vs 60. It's pretty easy.

Pimpbaa

Even when it comes to video you can tell the difference. 60fps youtube videos look a hell of a lot smoother than ones recorded at 30fps.

They are the same image, I have confirmed this definitively. It wouldn't have been very hard to make the appear different either, the OP is just lame.

I just confirmed this myself. Fuck off OP.
The human eye has no fixed scan rate. The number of frames you take in is based on a number of factors including how many saccades your eyes go through. I wrote a thing on this.

tl;dr our eyes don't work like a rolling camera. Instead, we take successive snapshots at varying speeds and aperture sizes.

The OP is misguided.
They are the exact same image, down to the byte. The guy's just having a laugh.

I already said in the previous post I found the original link for the third image. Husky also confirmed my first theory early in the thread that he likely uploaded the same image to imgur twice.

Here it is: https://www.burtkilgore.com/2018/03/10/the-void-of-my-writing/

zcaa0g

Banned
I don't even care about seeing it; it's more about "feeling" it and there's a noticeable difference., especially in FPS.

Shifty

Welp, now we sit and wait to see what OP will do.

Will they return with corrections? A new thesis entirely? Or will they double down, nay triple down on their existing one?

Or will it all turn out to be just 'a prank, bro'?

Only time will tell.

Last edited:
Welp, now we sit and wait to see what OP will do.

Will they return with corrections? A new thesis entirely? Or will they double down, nay triple down on their existing one?

Only time will tell.

OP going to run and try again with something that will last longer than one page.

I mean he put a good amount of effort in the thread, but became lazy with the images, the part that mattered most.

At least Blu ray guy got like 8 pages.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
Shit thread. Anybody can see the difference between a game at 30fps and 60FPS.

Fuckin console peasants trying to convince themselves they’re not missing out.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
I already said in the previous post I found the original link for the third image. Husky also confirmed my first theory early in the thread that he likely uploaded the same image to imgur twice.

Here it is: https://www.burtkilgore.com/2018/03/10/the-void-of-my-writing/
I think the original artist might actually be https://curiator.com/krikrak , and I found an older blog post with the same image https://ehpcps.blogspot.com/2017/06/im-warning-rest-of-my-friends-jeffreys.html . Whatever the case, OP didn't render two separate gifs. He's probably just fishing to see how many people will claim they can see the difference, how angry people will get, or how many people he can trick into changing their minds.

johntown

Banned
Stop spreading misinformation. The human eye can see more that 30fps. I am not even going to dignify this thread with a link. Google it yourselves people.

I think the original artist might actually be https://curiator.com/krikrak , and I found an older blog post with the same image https://ehpcps.blogspot.com/2017/06/im-warning-rest-of-my-friends-jeffreys.html . Whatever the case, OP didn't render two separate gifs. He's probably just fishing to see how many people will claim they can see the difference, how angry people will get, or how many people he can trick into changing their minds.

But you can't fish in a neutral space, there are too many external obstructions including the fish themselves, let alone the water. ;)

ethomaz

Banned
The most fun part are people saying that can see difference between the exactly same image posted in the OP.

:messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

OP is a joke but you don’t need to lie to disagree with it.

Last edited:

Futaleufu

Shit thread. Anybody can see the difference between a game at 30fps and 60FPS.

Fuckin console peasants trying to convince themselves they’re not missing out.

There is a thread on the other site about how "30 fps on consoles" is smoother than "30 fps on PC". Of course, every example given involves a PS4 exclusive and how smooth it was to play at 30 fps. There's even a guy with a G-sync monitor asking how he can get "30 fps console smooth" on his PC.

Makariel

The most fun part are people saying that can see difference between the exactly same image posted in the OP.

:messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

OP is a joke but you don’t need to lie to disagree with it.
Who said that? Folks here showed repeatedly that they are the same images, and other folks say that it's quite obvious to see the difference between 30, 60 and 120 fps, not that they would see it in the images above.

Look--I have two eyes, so each eye can see 30 FPS.

30 + 30 = 60, which is why we want 60 FPS games.

BOOM! DONE! Took care of another thread!

*smugly walks out of room*
*makes finger guns and "Pew-pew" noises*

(I'm kidding of course.)

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Who said that? Folks here showed repeatedly that they are the same images, and other folks say that it's quite obvious to see the difference between 30, 60 and 120 fps, not that they would see it in the images above.
Read the first post... there are 3 guys that agreed with him too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom