• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch Gaming |OT2| Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

RS4-

Ultimoo said:
So is Battleheart challenging or fun? Was thinking about picking it up. What are the impressions on RR and RR2, which one is better? :O

Battleheart gets pretty tough, you might have to grind for a bit too. Really good game though

I'd do anything for them to re-release Karate Champ and have online mp.

Neki

The M.O.B said:
Both, Get it Now!

RS4- said:
Battleheart gets pretty tough, you might have to grind for a bit too. Really good game though

I'd do anything for them to re-release Karate Champ and have online mp.

Okay, I'll probably pick it up once I finish Metroid: Other M. I feel sad that most of my gaming is now on my iPod touch, I really need a new ipod to play infinity blade, lol.

ShowDog

RPS37 said:
To answer my own question, I see you did mention that RR2 is on sale a a couple pages ago. Also the sale lasts till the 14th, apparently.

Regardless, I'm really impressed. It's all so polished. The graphics, despite being framey and aliased, are insane for a game that I'm playing on my phone.
The menus are super slick and I was pretty surprised that the game is using real cars that you can purchase upgrades for.

I know I'm super LTTP, but this was the sale I was waiting for. The game is such a steal at 5 bucks.

Agree with everything you said but the game starts off so slowly... even the compact vehicles in RR1 were fun to race. Racing the VW Golf in RR2 is soo boring, between the greatly reduced sense of speed and 3x longer laps as compared to the first game I havent gotten very far at all. Anyone else feel that way?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Bento said:
Thank you both for taking the time to answer my questions and providing lots of useful information :eek:)

One last question, I'm considering making an Undead character (such an obvious yet underused race) but by doing so I'm unable to use Healing Magic, how important is Healing Magic and can I off-set the lack of it with Undead Magic + Potions?

I've never played an undead character, but I would imagine that potions are a must.
Undead also have exclusive access to the undead line of magics, which include spells to drain HP. Having a couple of wands of that handy is sure to help! :)

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
Minsc said:
Here you go.

All the variables in skills/choices in matching should really keep online puzzle quest pretty interesting. In a way it's almost like magic the gathering, with all the strategic choices to make. Go for damage or collect mana for spells or block mana your opponent needs, what equipment to use, what spells to equip, what spells to cast, etc etc. Potentially quite fun.

Thanks. Picked this up for iPad, but I'm disappointed the devs changed it so you have to have a shield equipped to perform the Shield Bash with the Templar. This wasn't the case with the XBLA version. I wonder why they decided to do this? It's a pretty big nerf, if they force you to drop a weapon slot for a must-have skill.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Karoshi is now available for iOS. Oh yes.

karoshi.png

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/karoshi/id406650835?mt=8

Everyone should buy this fantastic game. There are a ton of free versions available on the net but this is an all new chapter (The objective is to kill yourself, over and over again).

Buy buy buy! This game is too awesome. :D

Eggo said:
Finished Battleheart. It's a great game, but it felt short. Was expecting a new game plus or additional levels/characters when I beat it, but... nothing. You can replay old maps with the other characters to level them up, but it seems light on content at the moment. I hope they patch in additional levels and unlocks, because the game has potential to be fantastic if they keep supporting it. Total time played was around 8-9 hours when I beat it, but I took my time leveling other characters unnecessarily.

So you got nine hours of gameplay for $3. Sounds like more than enough value to me. :)

Neki

Want to try the Mass Effect Galaxy game, but reviews are pegging it at really low framerate, and I only have a 2nd gen, so I'm not sure how bad it could be. D:

cw_sasuke said:
On/Off Switch + Home Button to save them....

yeah, but then I have to upload and then post... I'm looking for a way I can just grab them off of a site quick via url and then be done...

anyone know of the best Pool game to get? kinda craving one.

Bento said:
Thank you both for taking the time to answer my questions and providing lots of useful information :eek:)

One last question, I'm considering making an Undead character (such an obvious yet underused race) but by doing so I'm unable to use Healing Magic, how important is Healing Magic and can I off-set the lack of it with Undead Magic + Potions?

Undead magic is the best healing magic in the game because Undeads (and only Undeads) can heal themselves by draining health from an enemy. They can also heal themselves the normal way. This makes them the easiest race to play as. However, some of the NPCs will say things to you intended for a non-undead character, so if that kinda thing bothers you then pick any other race. And some things that normally heal will damage or kill an undead; so watch out.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
outunderthestars said:
So you got nine hours of gameplay for $3. Sounds like more than enough value to me. :)
Don't get me wrong. I have no problem with a short game, but the way Battleheart is designed, there are about 12 characters with skill trees that go to level 30. I beat the game before maxing out a single character and playing with less than half the available characters, so it feels like the scope of the game should be greater than what's given. I suspect additional content is on the way, otherwise they designed this fantastic game with all this depth and replay value that is going unused.

Played more Puzzle Quest 2 and I noticed they nerfed Weaken from the Assassin. Interesting... They've rebalanced the entire game.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Barkley's Justice said:
consensus on new bubble bobble please?
Bubble Bobble port: awful controls, unplayable.
Bubble Bobble Double part: pretty good, lovely mechanics e gfx, score attack game with both campaign and time attacks a la pac-man CE (2 and 5min arrange mode), but little if anything to do with Bubble Bobble's gameplay.
I'd recommend it in heartbeat if the port was good, as it stands it may be a bit on the expensive side.
Also, atm, Open Feint only.

I think this is worth a mention.

Free-App Hero (by Stuart Campbell, you may know him from Amiga Power) is a App Store tracker.

info said:
Free-App Hero was created to be something very different – it filters the avalanche of daily freebies down to only the quality gear, and is answerable to no-one but its users. It doesn't feature freemium games which are basically just short demos where all the good stuff needs to be paid for, and it has an iron rule of NEVER including anything with in-game adverts – because we all hate in-game adverts, right?

FAH has two lists – a Recent one which details all the latest new freebies and temporary promos (which currently has around 50 games on it), and a Permanent list featuring well over 100 that as far as I can tell are always free, yet aren't hideously disfigured by ads.

(Presumably they're funded by the Mafia or Al-Qaeda and used to transmit secret messages to terrorists or something.)

And rather than just being a list of links, every game comes with a review so you know why it's worth your time.

Free-App Hero ($1,99 - there's also a add-supported free version, a bit ironically)

More info

XR3kv.jpg

graywolf323 said:
definitely a bit ironic that an app that has the purpose of helping you find the quality free apps labels its free version as the cheapskate edition

Yeah, but I'm using that anyway. It's called "Free Apps CE" on the device, so I just pretend that it's the CHAMPIONSHIP EDITION. I may upgrade, but I'm going to try it out first.

Reese-015

Infinity Blade is still the shit. Absolutely my favorite iOS game. So much fun, so addictive and the way it gradually ups the difficulty while you get better at it is so perfect that you can easily get to an amazing level of mastering the techniques. I'm now at Bloodline 20, it's pretty hard and intense now, even though I have the Infinitiy Blade. Last few times I was sooo close to killing the level 200 God King.

Barkley's Justice said:
consensus on new bubble bobble please?

Bubble Bobble Double's main 'new style' mode is really awesome. I have no interest in the 'classic style' port.

Veins

Unconfirmed Member
RelentlessRolento said:
yeah, but then I have to upload and then post... I'm looking for a way I can just grab them off of a site quick via url and then be done...

Hold down on the image and select copy. It'll put the URL of the image into the clipboard.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Ultimoo said:
Want to try the Mass Effect Galaxy game, but reviews are pegging it at really low framerate, and I only have a 2nd gen, so I'm not sure how bad it could be. D:
Dont the game is awful

Veins said:
Hold down on the image and select copy. It'll put the URL of the image into the clipboard.

k cool, i thought it just copied the pic. thx

Just played Knights HD... pretty cool. Nice twist of tower defense with an action based chess ruleset. pretty cool honestly.

Aaron

truth-lasers said:
I think this is worth a mention.

Free-App Hero (by Stuart Campbell, you may know him from Amiga Power) is a App Store tracker.
Kind of pointless AppShopper already filters to some degree, and there's a sense of discovery with what's left over. Sometimes I find cool games that no one seems to recommend.

Dash Kappei

Aaron said:
Kind of pointless AppShopper already filters to some degree, and there's a sense of discovery with what's left over. Sometimes I find cool games that no one seems to recommend.
I don't think it is (pointless)
In fact I think it goes great WITH appshopper.
Thanks for posting it!

Minsc

Gold Member
Sword & Poker 1/2 is back on the app store for the time being, now would be a good time to buy/backup the games if you haven't! It had vanished for a while, in case the heads up seems weird (possibly owner didn't renew annual license or something).

otmane

Ultimoo said:
I've only played it on my iphone 4, didn't notice any framerate issue.
The game is bad, but I still enjoyed it a bit, worth it only if you're a mass effect fan

Dash Kappei

Minsc said:
Sword & Poker 1/2 is back on the app store for the time being, now would be a good time to buy/backup the games if you haven't! It had vanished for a while, in case the heads up seems weird (possibly owner didn't renew annual license or something).
Wow, I've heard about these games a lot.
Which one should I buy? They're expensive and not even Universal, how are they on the iPad?

Minsc

Gold Member
Dash Kappei said:
Wow, I've heard about these games a lot.
Which one should I buy? They're expensive and not even Universal, how are they on the iPad?

The second is better in the sense it's got more of everything. The first is like a cut down version of it, but still fun. I played them in order, and think I may have gotten a little burnt out by the first one, but I still enjoyed the second, though probably would have enjoyed it even more if it wasn't all so much alike.

They're not retina on the iPhone either, so other than being larger, I can't imagine there any worse than your normal 2x scaled iPad game. There's no awkward UI to manage, you just drag and drop cards, so I doubt there'd be problems there.

Dash Kappei

Minsc said:
The second is better in the sense it's got more of everything. The first is like a cut down version of it, but still fun. I played them in order, and think I may have gotten a little burnt out by the first one, but I still enjoyed the second, though probably would have enjoyed it even more if it wasn't all so much alike.

They're not retina on the iPhone either, so other than being larger, I can't imagine there any worse than your normal 2x scaled iPad game. There's no awkward UI to manage, you just drag and drop cards, so I doubt there'd be problems there.
Thanks mate. I was on the fence since it's not likely to be updated, there's no Gamecenter nor retina or universal support, but then since you guys always raved about these games I decided to blind buy the 2nd one even if I only do that, and rarely, with 79c apps.
I hope it's worth almost 3€. ;-)

Edit:
Oh gawd I'm reading some iTunes reviews and it seems it doesn't work on iOS4? Don't tell me I wasted my money.

Reese-015

Just got an iPhone 4 (had a 3GS previously). Holy shit. This is quite a bit nicer for gaming. Also, the gyroscope is awesome in some games. Rage HD set to 'virtual window' controls is AMAZINGLY immersive! That's one hell of an awesome gaming experience.

Well, the wife got me an ipod touch 4g and already bought a few light games (angry birds, flight control, fruit ninja, etc.) but I'm looking at something meatier, ideally a sim, point & click adventure or rpg (hopefully no on screen controls either), any suggestions?

SmokyDave

BomberMouse said:
Well, the wife got me an ipod touch 4g and already bought a few light games (angry birds, flight control, fruit ninja, etc.) but I'm looking at something meatier, ideally a sim, point & click adventure or rpg (hopefully no on screen controls either), any suggestions?
Game Dev Story & Nelson Tethers: Puzzle Agent are my suggestions.

Tobor

RelentlessRolento said:

Download the Photobucket app.

Dash Kappei said:
Thanks mate. I was on the fence since it's not likely to be updated, there's no Gamecenter nor retina or universal support, but then since you guys always raved about these games I decided to blind buy the 2nd one even if I only do that, and rarely, with 79c apps.

Edit:
Oh gawd I'm reading some iTunes reviews and it seems it doesn't work on iOS4? Don't tell me I wasted my money.
Ouch, S&P 1 and 2 were made and released before iOS4 and the iphone 4 was out, while most apps transfer across without a hitch some did have to recieve a patch, no idea what caused problems but it's possible these sword and poker games need one too.

If all fails you can contact apple for your money back, they are usually quite good with stuff like that as long as you only do it when you really need too.

Minsc

Gold Member
Dash Kappei said:

Edit:

Works fine on the most recent iOS4 on the iPhone! Can't say if the same is true for the iPad, but my save game and everything loads fine.

Assuming it works for you, I'm pretty confident in saying you won't regret your purchase (so long as you enjoy card & RPG games).

SmokyDave said:
Game Dev Story & Nelson Tethers: Puzzle Agent are my suggestions.

Thanks, forgot to mention I already bought GDS based on an old hype thread. Fun game, but it's way too easy an repetitive, after a few years nothing new popped up and I was printing money. I played Puzzle Agent on PC.

y2dvd

I honestly do not recall if I asked this but...How do you get a critical strike in Fruit Ninja? BTW, the multi-player is a blast!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom