• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPhone 4 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

elfinke

My apologies if the answer to this issue has cropped up before and been gone over numerous times (google wasn't much help).

I've had this error occur with my older 3GS phone, but it's only just started to occur on my 4.

Basically, while it is in 'sleep' mode or whatever it's called, and someone will ring me, all too often it won't let me swipe to answer the call, and I miss the call.

I haven't had a chance to sync it or restore it or anything like that (though I will try both things tonight).

Any ideas? 16gb iPhone4, running 4.3.3, never been jail broken or anything like that.

dream

ConvenientBox said:
What's the best affordable gps solution that doesn't use data...? thoughts?

What's affordable? Tomtom stores its maps locally and can use wifi location to get you within a few blocks of where you want to go.

elfinke said:
My apologies if the answer to this issue has cropped up before and been gone over numerous times (google wasn't much help).

I've had this error occur with my older 3GS phone, but it's only just started to occur on my 4.

Basically, while it is in 'sleep' mode or whatever it's called, and someone will ring me, all too often it won't let me swipe to answer the call, and I miss the call.

I haven't had a chance to sync it or restore it or anything like that (though I will try both things tonight).

Any ideas? 16gb iPhone4, running 4.3.3, never been jail broken or anything like that.
I had that happen to me on my 3GS.. but it also occurred just on the normal lock screen randomly. The solution was for me to throw it in sleep again then to click the home button again and try swiping once more. Sometimes it'd happen two times in a row. I eventually got a whole new screen from the Apple Store.

cbox

Quick question,

I downloaded the Civ:revolutions game on my ipod touch when it was free a couple months back, now that I have an iphone4 , can I get it again without paying?

I ask because I technically didn't "buy" it but I did get it for free. I've already tried this with tetris ( had it on my ipod and transfered it to my iphone, it said I already purchased it, and I didn't get charged ) I just don't want to be charged 7 dollars...

Note: None of my itunes account info is sync'd as itunes has messed up on my quite often so I gave up using it.

dream

ConvenientBox said:
Quick question,

I downloaded the Civ:revolutions game on my ipod touch when it was free a couple months back, now that I have an iphone4 , can I get it again without paying?

I ask because I technically didn't "buy" it but I did get it for free. I've already tried this with tetris ( had it on my ipod and transfered it to my iphone, it said I already purchased it, and I didn't get charged ) I just don't want to be charged 7 dollars...

Yeah, just redownload it with the same Apple ID.

Chorazin

ConvenientBox said:
Quick question,

Note: None of my itunes account info is sync'd as itunes has messed up on my quite often so I gave up using it.

It doesn't matter if you gave Apple money, Free is the same as Paid when their digital content is concerned. If you get a free game now, and then in a week it's $5, you don't pay the difference when you reinstall it.

SonnyBoy

So my 3GS randomly loses all of it's music, so I go to restore my phone and it fails... LOL I love the luck that I have. What the hell am I going to do!?

SonnyBoy

devildog820 said:
DFU mode. Or recovery mode.

It was failing in recovery mode, I seem to have been able to place it into DFU mode and i'm trying to restore it from there. I appreciate the help.

Update: thanks devildog, it seems to be pushing along now!

kaskade

Do you guys think they'll release an unlocked version of the next iPhone out of the gate? If they don't I'm hoping they at least drop the iPhone 4 price quiet a bit. By time the iPhone 6 rolls around the ATT/Tmobile merger will most likely be through and I can just get it that way.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
I figure I'll upgrade to an iPhone 5 when it comes out. My contract doesn't end until July 2012 and Verizon told me that as long as go month-to-month after my contract ends, and don't upgrade hardware, I'll keep my unlimited data plan. We'll see.

Jasoco

Banned
Is there an official iDevice Accessories thread? I want to ask about whether a certain accessory exists. But I don't know if there's an all-encompassing place for the iPhone, iPad and iPod touch et al.

numble

Dragon Go, app from Nuance, that is like Siri--voice-based assistant.

Youtube ad:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0O84rNwH_50

HyZPjl.jpg

e0NqGl.jpg

yhRdXl.jpg

9SVeel.jpg

vquxAl.jpg

iTunes:
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dragon-go!/id442975871?mt=8

Less than 12 hours in; dropped my phone walking into work. Nicked the screen protector. Had a bit of a panicky moment because it looks like a impact crack in the screen itself.

Thank god the screen protectors come in a 2-pack.

Raw64life

I ended up having to get a replacement iPhone 4 which was pure hell but I'll save the sob story. Now I just have a quick tech question; Is there anyway to re-download all of my apps simultaneously or do I actually have to individually download all 200+ apps?

Husker86

Raw64life said:
I ended up having to get a replacement iPhone 4 which was pure hell but I'll save the sob story. Now I just have a quick tech question; Is there anyway to re-download all of my apps simultaneously or do I actually have to individually download all 200+ apps?

Erm, sync them from iTunes? Should just need to do a restore and be right back to where you were.

Lace

DarkJC said:
iPhone 4 will probably be $100 cheaper than it is right now, if the 3GS pricing is anything to go by.
With all this talk of Verizon removing unlimited data packages would it be unwise to go the upgrading route to the Iphone 5 when I become eligible early next year? Should I just man up and pay the store price, or will I be eligible for grandfathered data options?

SonnyBoy

I love my iPhone but Apple is really starting to pluck my nerves with this stand-off with Google. We don't get Google Nav and now they're dicking around with the approval of the Google + app. It's really getting ridiculous.

SonnyBoy said:
I love my iPhone but Apple is really starting to pluck my nerves with this stand-off with Google. We don't get Google Nav and now they're dicking around with the approval of the Google + app. It's really getting ridiculous.
All of this is entirely Apple's fault, I guarantee it.

SonnyBoy

thewesker said:
All of this is entirely Apple's fault, I guarantee it.

I can only speak for myself but I think they're running the risk of making their users choose. Apple doesn't have the services to compete with Google and I don't think that they can. Must I really wait 3 years for them create their answer to Google Nav? I guess in their I must wait, lmao. SMH. Like I said, I love my phone, I love their innovation, I hope their arrogance doesn't cause a downfall.

omimasum

Neo Member
i recently got an iphone 3gs 16gb and i happened to press the 'erase all content and settings' and now its stuck on a spinning wheel and i cant seem to go into duf mode or turn my iphone off. itunes also wont recognise the device. please help me somebody :(

LCfiner

SonnyBoy said:

did Google ever submit Google nav to the app store??

I thought Google nav was a selling point of android phones so they weren’t going to port it to iOS.

and I never read anything about a Google nav app getting rejected by Apple.

Blackhead

Redarse
LCfiner said:
did Google ever submit Google nav to the app store??

I thought Google nav was a selling point of android phones so they weren’t going to port it to iOS.

and I never read anything about a Google nav app getting rejected by Apple.
No, google never submitted a nav app to the appstore. There is no google nav app for android phones, it's just a navigation feature part of the google maps app. Apple handles the maps app on ios so google won't be competing with that...

LCfiner

Greyface said:
No, google never submitted a nav app to the appstore. There is no google nav app for android phones, it's just a navigation feature part of the google maps app. Apple handles the maps app on ios so google won't be competing with that...

see, that's what I figured.

it's up to Apple to make a TBT system. Google isn't gong to port over one of their key selling points for Android. not at this stage, anyway.

SonnyBoy

Greyface said:

Yeah, I went back and researched it and it was actually falsely reported by mac rumours that the app was in the works. So I stand corrected.

omimasum said:
i recently got an iphone 3gs 16gb and i happened to press the 'erase all content and settings' and now its stuck on a spinning wheel and i cant seem to go into duf mode or turn my iphone off. itunes also wont recognise the device. please help me somebody :(
Get tiny umbrella there is an option to kick it out of that mode.

I just got my iphone 3gs replaced since the battery is dead. 79 bucks for a nicely refurbished phone with a new battery which i can sell for 100 when iphone 5 comes out. Got to say i was in and out of the store in ten minutes.

Manus

Anyone know of any decent iOS dedicated websites that posts neat apps and games that's updated daily or weekly?

ACE 1991

Argh I really hope price cuts for the 4 get announced soon, I'm up for a new phone August 4th. Will I have to wait past this to get the 32gb model cheaper?

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I'm thinking about getting the iPod 4S/iPod 5 when it gets released this year but I had a question about iOS.

I have owned a Droid Incredible and Droid X. Built into the operating system is an ability to easily search for something. I hit a button on the device and a search page comes up, when typing in the search term I want, suggestions auto-populate. Once the search results come back I can click say on a restaurant that I searched for and clicked its number which will instantly take me to Phone with the number ready to call. Android also lets me copy addresses fairly easy just by clicking on them.

Is there anything like this built into the iPhone? Obviously a front facing button for searching wouldn't be there, but are the other options available?

Husker86

Trojita said:
I'm thinking about getting the iPod 4S/iPod 5 when it gets released this year but I had a question about iOS.

I have owned a Droid Incredible and Droid X. Built into the operating system is an ability to easily search for something. I hit a button on the device and a search page comes up, when typing in the search term I want, suggestions auto-populate. Once the search results come back I can click say on a restaurant that I searched for and clicked its number which will instantly take me to Phone with the number ready to call. Android also lets me copy addresses fairly easy just by clicking on them.

Is there anything like this built into the iPhone? Obviously a front facing button for searching wouldn't be there, but are the other options available?

iOS has Spotlight search (basically just universal search), it's one swipe left of the first homescreen (or another push of Home button when at homescreen). Addresses and phone numbers do open in the Maps/Phone app; the downside is if you get an actual navigation app, iOS doesn't let you select different default programs to open links/files with (unless something has changed recently).

jts

...hate me...
Guys, is there any problem whatsoever with charging my iPhone 4 with a 10W iPad charger? I can't seem to find my iPhone charger so I've been using that in the last couple of days.

My gf's iPhone 3G, if charged by it, won't change its battery status after hours of charging, but if you plug in a normal 5W it immediately updates it to 100%, ha. Maybe a respring/reboot would do it too. But the iPhone 4 doesn't seem to suffer from that problem. However I'm wondering if a more powerful charger can be more taxing on the battery or something.

Hi guys, I have a question. Should I invest in an iphone 4 (I don't have a good cellphone right now) or in a Canon 550D. They are both around the same price. I know they are two different kinds of hardware, but I actually need them both.

Husker86

jts said:
Guys, is there any problem whatsoever with charging my iPhone 4 with a 10W iPad charger? I can't seem to find my iPhone charger so I've been using that in the last couple of days.

My gf's iPhone 3G, if charged by it, won't change its battery status after hours of charging, but if you plug in a normal 5W it immediately updates it to 100%, ha. Maybe a respring/reboot would do it too. But the iPhone 4 doesn't seem to suffer from that problem. However I'm wondering if a more powerful charger can be more taxing on the battery or something.
Doesn't sound like a good idea to me, but I have no support stories either way.

eravulgaris said:
Hi guys, I have a question. Should I invest in an iphone 4 (I don't have a good cellphone right now) or in a Canon 550D. They are both around the same price. I know they are two different kinds of hardware, but I actually need them both.
The new iphone is a couple of months away, prioritize the camera!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom