• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPhone 4 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chorazin

jts said:
Guys, is there any problem whatsoever with charging my iPhone 4 with a 10W iPad charger? I can't seem to find my iPhone charger so I've been using that in the last couple of days.

My gf's iPhone 3G, if charged by it, won't change its battery status after hours of charging, but if you plug in a normal 5W it immediately updates it to 100%, ha. Maybe a respring/reboot would do it too. But the iPhone 4 doesn't seem to suffer from that problem. However I'm wondering if a more powerful charger can be more taxing on the battery or something.

Any USB device of quality will auto regulate it's voltage and not draw more than 5V. I charged my iPhone 4 with my iPad charger all the time, no problems.

_dementia said:
The new iphone is a couple of months away, prioritize the camera!

True, but I probably won't be able to buy the iphone then. It's really going to be a choice I have to make right now, ignoring the fact that there's a new iphone on the way.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
So my iphone 4 got stuck in recovery mode while updating on iTunes and I tried uninstalling iTunes but it didn't work. One of my computers won't even detect the iPhone (the one it got the error on) and the other one either fails every time or it says that the Apple update server (or something is unavailable).

Besides the obvious: iTunes sucks. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can get my iPhone out of recovery mode? And no, I didn't jailbreak it.

EDIT: Never mind. It finally restored itself. That was annoying.

Shrinnan said:
So my iphone 4 got stuck in recovery mode while updating on iTunes and I tried uninstalling iTunes but it didn't work. One of my computers won't even detect the iPhone (the one it got the error on) and the other one either fails every time or it says that the Apple update server (or something is unavailable).

Besides the obvious: iTunes sucks. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can get my iPhone out of recovery mode? And no, I didn't jailbreak it.

EDIT: Never mind. It finally restored itself. That was annoying.
An alternative to iTunes: http://www.macroplant.com/iphoneexplorer/

mYm|17|

So my 3G is about to bite the dust. Screen is crack and I keep getting this white screen with flickering black bars.

My friend is willing to sell me his iPhone 4 for $200. Should I get it?

I am off my AT&T contract too

SonnyBoy

mYm|17| said:
So my 3G is about to bite the dust. Screen is crack and I keep getting this white screen with flickering black bars.

My friend is willing to sell me his iPhone 4 for $200. Should I get it?

I am off my AT&T contract too

Ride it out if you can! $200 will get you the new iPhone if you're willing to enter into a new contract.

CrankyJay

Banned
I cracked my screen in the bottom corner after I dropped it twice on my concrete patio in a week span...both times it magically landed on the front screen. My fault for this happening with no case on.

Luckily the crack is on the bottom corner so it doesn't affect any of the viewable touch space, but it still pisses me the fuck off.

Kermit The Dog said:
:lol Fair enough then.

I hope it's a 5, but I believe it will be a 4S redesign. My launch day 3GS looks like a car accident, so I'm desperate for a new shiny phone!

Actually I don't care what it will be named, I only want some more GB, a better cam and a faster processor.

bob page

So I finally upgraded my data plan and I was wondering what apps you guys use to make use of data. I never really used my plan for anything other than FB, Twitter, and mail.

CrankyJay

Banned
bob page said:
So I finally upgraded my data plan and I was wondering what apps you guys use to make use of data. I never really used my plan for anything other than FB, Twitter, and mail.

Pandora. It streams music.

bob page said:
YouTube, navigation, Digitally Imported Radio, FaceTime, etc.

Stream2Me. I used to use AirVideo, but this works better and has more functionality. Get it.

I used 16GB last month. Im going to try and keep it below 10, so ATT doesn't bother or throttle me.

It will stream my entire iTunes library, playlists ect with all shuffle options. My iPhoto library and all videos regardless of codec.

I also use Netflix, Pandora, Hulu+, Youtube, Flickr

FerranMG

Calvetica has been updated to version 4.0 with a completely revamped interface.

I'll leave the link to the appstore here:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/calvetica-calendar/id385862462?mt=8

and continue telling you that it's by far the best calendar I have ever tried for the iPhone.

week0view-tmb.jpg

Calvetica 4 is finally also fucking universal, and the iPad version is as good as the iPhone one.
Both are super intuitive, super fast, super useful and super pretty.
I really adore all the work this guys from Mysterious Trousers have done.
I guess everything might sound a bit fanboyish, but I really, really love this app.

Check it out, it only 1.99$.
Some reviews are being a bit harsh on the 4.0 update, but that's only because the interface has been revamped and some people liked the old one better. Still, I read they are planning on submitting the older version again to the appstore, so people can download it again if they want (4.0 rocks, though).

Has anyone had a problem with iTunes not detecting your iPhone?

I had been using iTunes on my laptop without any problems, but decided to switch to my desktop because I'm thinking about selling my laptop. So I downloaded the newest version of iTunes (10.4) and every time I plug in my iPhone iTunes will just freeze for a few minutes and never end up detecting my iPhone even though Windows detects it perfectly fine. Ive tried reinstalling the drivers, reinstalling iTunes, going back to an older version of iTunes that I still have on my laptop. Even tried flashing the BIOS on my motherboard to the newest version. So far the only thing that has made iTunes be able to detect my iPhone is changing iTunes compatibility mode to Windows XP, but that is a pain in the ass because it changes the theme and gives a warning every time i open iTunes that way.

My desktop and laptop are both running Win7 64bit and my iTunes on my laptop has no problem detecting my iPhone, so I have no idea what else to try, any help would be appreciated

Az

Well I finally got the phone 3 weeks ago for my wife and myself. I know, I am crazy since the new one should come out soon but I really don't have to have the latest and greatest.

Just want to say this thing is amazing. Getting used to the touch screen since I've only owned Blackberry's past 4-5 years. All in all I think Apple gots my money for the forseeable future (unless something crazy good comes out).

I have been having trouble with the mail program on my iPhone lately. It is not retrieving the data on schedule like it used to. I use Yahoo, so there is no push, so I have the mail program fetch the data. It worked perfectly until just recently. Any ideas?

dk_

Do you guys leave Whatsapp running in the background (w or w/o push) or do you close it, because it drains too much battery? Does it drain much in the background at all without push?

CoolS

Waiting for my iPhone 4 to arrive at the moment. the question is when it will be here tough, sometime in the next three hours. Really excited right now :)

Maxim726X

So the prevailing wisdom is that the next iPhone is going to be a supped up 4? Because I'll wait for that... Even though I want the iPhone 4 now.

ACE 1991

Arghh I really want to get Verizon to move up the date I can get my new phone. It's set for August 4th, and they've moved it up before. Maybe I'll go there and beg.

Talon

Maxim726X said:
So the prevailing wisdom is that the next iPhone is going to be a supped up 4? Because I'll wait for that... Even though I want the iPhone 4 now.
Nobody knows for sure. There are two camps: different form factor or similar form factor.

The only thing we know is that Apple confirmed they were shipping something in September.

iPhone4 still BEASTING on Verizon. Sales actually increased last quarter!

This is crazy for 4 reasons:

1) Most people predicted there would be some drop-off as the debut quarter was predicted to fill most of the pent-up demand for iPhone from Verizon's existing customer base who were waiting, and from ATT customers switching providers.

2) The quarter is usually a down quarter.

3) The iPhone 4 is old.

4) Verizon has really been pushing 4G in advertising.

Verizon on Friday revealed that iPhone demand was actually up in spring despite a full push from Android. The carrier activated 2.3 million iPhone 4s in spring, up from 2.2 million in winter. The company added 2.2 million total cellphone customers, including 1.3 million of the retail subscribers core to the iPhone and 3G iPads; Apple's support meant Verizon had the best subscriber growth in 2.5 years.

The cellular network now has a total of 106.3 million customers across all its areas.

Data from the company suggested that, in spite of multiple device launches and high publicity, 4G Android phones hadn't caught on in a significant way at the network. Verizon sold a total of 1.2 million LTE-capable devices in the spring but had to split that across not just three separate Android phones, the HTC Thunderbolt, LG Revolution, and Samsung Droid Charge, but also include modems and routers. The data supports analyst claims that the iPhone was more popular at most stores as well as talk of high return rates due to poor 4G battery life.

Apple may have also contributed to a very low 0.89 percent churn (turnover) rate in the regular subscriber base, its lowest in three years. Verizon's revenue was up year-over-year to $27.5 billion even after factoring in a divestiture of networks that had been earning money last year. Its profits were up to 57 cents per share compared to a 42 cents per share loss a year ago.

The figures, combined with AT&T's 3.6 million activations, show the iPhone relatively steady in the US in a quarter that can often see sales drop. They also come in spite of the iPhone 4 having reached its one-year anniversary and competing against much newer devices. Many expect the real test of Verizon having an iPhone will be the fifth-generation launch in or near September, when Verizon customers wanting an iPhone but holding off for the new generation can finally join in.

Along with its performance, Verizon confirmed that its long-serving CEO Ivan Seidenberg was retiring. Current COO Lowell McAdam will take over as of August 1. Seidenberg will stay on as chairman for the near future to help in the transition. Many consider McAdam vital to the company as having been key to finally getting the iPhone onboard and reversing declines from customers switching to AT&T to get Apple's handset.

Read more: http://www.electronista.com/article...s.more.iphone.demand.in.spring/#ixzz1SqcTyStY

Random question maybe you guys can help me with. I've had a 3GS for a few weeks now. Fuck awesome (and I got it free from my brother in law who wanted a 4, so awesome price.)

I don't have a data plan so I have it set to off in the settings. But, every once in a while I'll get a pop up message telling me the phone is unable to access the data network (or something like that). Seems to happen most when I'm texting. Everything is working fine, just annoying. The phone is jailbroken if that matters. Any guesses as to what is causing it?

EDIT: Just realized this is an iphone 4 OT, hope it's alright I'm asking about a 3GS problem.

Blackhead

Redarse
Pristine_Condition said:

This is crazy for 4 reasons:

1) Most people predicted there would be some drop-off as the debut quarter was predicted to fill most of the pent-up demand for iPhone from Verizon's existing customer base who were waiting, and from ATT customers switching providers.

2) The quarter is usually a down quarter.

3) The iPhone 4 is old.

4) Verizon has really been pushing 4G in advertising.

1) Most other people expected demand on Verizon to pick up as the casual users got out of contract and walked into their local stores to pick up a new phone.

2) The quarter is usually a down quarter because there would be rumors that the next iPhone would be arriving soon and Apple would have given a preview of the next major iOS update so most people would know to wait. That didn't happen this year and some people who held off at the verizon iphone launch, because they thought there might be a new iphone coming in june, got the iphone4 later. There would also be lots of old iPhones available on the used phones market by that time but the used CDMA iPhone market is very small right now and more troublesome to get into than the used GSM iPhone market.

3) The Verizon iPhone 4 is still relatively new.

4) Verizon has been pushing 4G in tv advertising but at the point-of-sale, where most consumers make their decision, the Verizon iPhone is very prominently placed and the sales rep will often highly recommend it. Not to mention that Apple does a lot of advertising on their own, more than any individual Android phone manufacturer.

The iPhone4 beasting on Verizon is not unexpected. It's not beasting more Android though, is it? Android phones are the iPhone4's main competitors and they are still doing very well when most people actually said that the iPhone on Verizon would bring it back ahead of Android. The iPhone has instead benefited from the poor competition from RIM, HP and Microsoft. The has been no new blackberry on Verizon and the best blackberry (the torch) is not available on Verizon. The webOS and WP7 devices were delayed, are outdated, the launches were botched and, again, the best devices for those platforms are on other carriers... I actually think the iPhone4 underperformed; I expected more sales actually.

Blackhead

Redarse
mYm|17| said:
i'm buying my friend's iphone 4 later tonight.

do I need a new sim card since I got a iphone 3g right now?
not necessarily. you can cut down your sim card to the microsim size. if you botch that operation then you can request a new sim card.

PhoncipleBone said:
I have been having trouble with the mail program on my iPhone lately. It is not retrieving the data on schedule like it used to. I use Yahoo, so there is no push, so I have the mail program fetch the data. It worked perfectly until just recently. Any ideas?

My Yahoo mail has been acting up as well. Every now and then it will say that my user name and password are wrong. I freaked out the first time and I thought I had been hacked. It probably happens once a week. I'm assuming it's something on Yahoo's end.

DaNcaKe

mYm|17| said:
i'm buying my friend's iphone 4 later tonight.

do I need a new sim card since I got a iphone 3g right now?

http://www.multiupload.com/2OPL42CPBP
I used that as a cutting template when I had to cut down my sims. Be careful though, don't cock it up or your sims useless. No pressure :p !

OT: Recently changed network so I could get 3G wherever I got signal (3 for those who live in the UK) and it has breathed new life into a phone that was already pretty fucking good.

Anyone else who is a moderate user of 3G; what is your battery life like?

I'm running iOS 5 b3 so I don't know if it's that or if it's the change in network that's killing my battery.

Talon

Greyface said:
I actually think the iPhone4 underperformed; I expected more sales actually.
You're insane. They sold ~40% more iPhones over the same period last year despite not putting out a new model.

Blackhead

Redarse
Talon- said:
You're insane. They sold ~40% more iPhones over the same period last year despite not putting out a new model.
? The verizon iPhone is a new model as there were no previous iPhones on that carrier.

the market as whole is growing. Many people are switching from feature phones to smartphones now as they reach the end of their contracts and get subsidies to buy iPhones and the like. The iPhone was expected to be growing significantly faster than the rest of the market once it was available on Verizon but it's now. While the iPhones sales are nothing to sniff at, its not the absolute domination that people were expecting either.

LCfiner

if the iphone 4 underperformed (i still don't know how you can look at the sales growth and think this) it's because Apple literally could not make more of them. like the iPad it is selling through every phone it makes.

Apple's marketshare is limited by its manufacturing capability

numble

Greyface said:
? The verizon iPhone is a new model as there were no previous iPhones on that carrier.

the market as whole is growing. Many people are switching from feature phones to smartphones now as they reach the end of their contracts and get subsidies to buy iPhones and the like. The iPhone was expected to be growing significantly faster than the rest of the market once it was available on Verizon but it's now. While the iPhones sales are nothing to sniff at, its not the absolute domination that people were expecting either.
If the iPhone is underperforming, what phone manufacturer is performing on par? They sold over 20 million iPhones last quarter. Over 10x what they sold at launch a year ago and over double the year ago quarter. They only sold 8 million iPhones in Q3 2010.

Analysts did not predict the high sales for the quarter because of the lack of iPhone 5 launch which is why the stock dipped at WWDC but exploded after the Q3 earnings announcement.

Greyface said:
Greyface said:
2) The quarter is usually a down quarter because there would be rumors that the next iPhone would be arriving soon and Apple would have given a preview of the next major iOS update so most people would know to wait. That didn't happen this year and some people who held off at the verizon iphone launch, because they thought there might be a new iphone coming in june, got the iphone4 later. There would also be lots of old iPhones available on the used phones market by that time but the used CDMA iPhone market is very small right now and more troublesome to get into than the used GSM iPhone market.

By "usually a down quarter," I meant for the entire industry, irrespective of iPhone.

Greyface said:
The iPhone4 beasting on Verizon is not unexpected. It's not beasting more Android though, is it?

It depends on your metric.

If you want to talkpure hardware unit marketshare, yes, it is beasting, but no, not more than Android.

If you want to talk about things that actually make money, like profits and app and media marketplaces, since Apple is taking around 50% of all the profits in the entire industry, and Android, RIM, WP, WebOS, ect. are splitting the rest, as well as dominating the app and media market, I'd say "Yes, it is beasting more than Android."

If you want to see how much Android is beasting, look at the history of BOGOs. Hell, Verizon just announced another BOGO this week on the Droid 3. Now compair how many BOGOs you've ever seen for iPhone. I'll give you a hint. There's never been one.

Greyface said:
Android phones are the iPhone4's main competitors and they are still doing very well when most people actually said that the iPhone on Verizon would bring it back ahead of Android.

In marketshare? OK, WHO are these supposed "most people" said that?

Greyface said:
The iPhone has instead benefited from the poor competition from RIM, HP and Microsoft.

Not as much as Android...and the pie charts clearly reflect this.

Greyface said:
I actually think the iPhone4 underperformed; I expected more sales actually.

You are a silly person then, because these numbers are phenomenal and totally unexpected.

Blackhead

Redarse
numble, LCfiner I talking specifically about the Verizon model not Apple's worldwide iPhone sales. Apple is doing great worldwide no question. However the Verizon model showed little growth, up by only 100,000 from previous quarter, and Apple activated over a million more iPhones on AT&T despite having more potential for growth on Verizon which has a larger userbase yet few smartphone subscribers (although, to be fair, AT&T did have that cheap iPhone 3GS).

Pristine_Condition said:
It depends on your metric.

If you want to talkpure hardware unit marketshare, yes, it is beasting, but no, not more than Android.

If you want to talk about things

Pristine_Condition said:

This is purely speculation, but I think the reason the VZW iPhone 4 hasn't sold as well as the ATT model is because VZW got the phone 8 months late and many expected the 4S/5 to debut in the summer. Now, those same people who waited until summer are holding out a bit longer until next month/September. At least this is the case for a good number of my friends and family.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom