• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Japanese Culture (I'm an expert) meme

Status
Not open for further replies.

aerts1js

I'm pretty sure he was serious. Looking at his post history; he rarely posts.. I wonder if he even knows that he is still ridiculed over it?

terrisus

This meme is overused now and more annoying than anything else when used. It also very often derails the thread since you have 4-5 juniors who don't know it and start asking about it or quoting the person.

Making this into a meme was a terrible idea. It's nothing but trash.

It was great when it was posted but like most things on GAF its been driven into the ground by people who have shit senses of humor and only know how to parrot meme images and statements.
You just shot yourself in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Gaf meme culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it ison Reddit where you can become funny by being an asshole. If you screw someone over on Gaf, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is Gaf members, after reading this, are not going to want to want to laugh with you, nor will they laugh at you: This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but you have alienated an entire forum with this forum.

Exr, publicly apologize and upgrade to Gaf Gold or you can kiss your membership goodbye..

DviwjO6.gif

Peff

It is pretty clearly real. People were flipping their shit about it being a betrayalton. Sad thing is running back through that thread now and really it doesn't stand out a huge amount from some other posts.

Yeah I don't think people remember just how huge of an announcement that was at the time, and out of the blue too. The FF name meant a lot more then than it does now.

Meicyn

Gold Member
Kevin "Fragmaster" Bowen from Something Awful is the guy in the video. He was most definitely not serious.

Forkball

I'm surprised that guy never got a tag for it. Maybe it was before tags became a big thing, but people are still joking about that post nearly a decade later and he gets nothing for it? NOTHING?

Yeah I don't think people remember just how huge of an announcement that was at the time, and out of the blue too. The FF name meant a lot more then than it does now.

It was easily one of the most shocking E3 announcements ever. There will never be a "betrayalton" of that magnitude again.

Nairume

Banned
I'm surprised that guy never got a tag for it. Maybe it was before tags became a big thing, but people are still joking about that post nearly a decade later and he gets nothing for it? NOTHING?

It was easily one of the most shocking E3 announcements ever. There will never be a "betrayalton" of that magnitude again.
I dunno

Bayonetta 2 is at least almost that level

To dispel a few things:

- This is one of the few memes that actually did originate here.
- The Muppet345 link is the original. The follow up reactions (vids, I think there was a YTMND on it) are not.
- The reaction was legitimate. Nobody knew what FF XIII was gonna end up being like at that point and it was still touted as one of THE reasons to get a PS3 over 360. Imagine a no-bullshit "FF7 remake exclusive to Wii U" announcement thread and the reactions therein and you're basically imagining what reactions for the FF XIII thread were like.

Forkball

I dunno

Bayonetta 2 is at least almost that level

Nah. Bayonetta is a GAF darling, but not a huge name in mainstream gaming. People went cuckoo on GAF (THEY STOLE OUR GAMES), but it doesn't compare to the shock and anger that was FFXIII on 360. ONE MORE BIG ANNOUCEMENT TO SHARE. This was in 2008, one of the dark years of E3 where they heavily downsized it and Nintendo held maybe the worst conference ever. There were no rumors about it, no leaks, nothing. The way the camera held back from the action for so long made you wonder if what you were seeing was what you thought it was, then boom Lightning. It was during a time when Sony was struggling and many thought this was the nail in the coffin. It really showed how third parties could not afford to neglect any console. It will definitely go down as one of the landmark events of that gen.

And the game wasn't even good lulz

terrisus

Square going from Nintendo to Sony was far bigger.

Seriously, they had just finished up working on Mario RPG
Plus, they stopped developing for Nintendo (for years), as opposed to the Final Fantasy 13 situation, where it was just Microsoft in addition to Sony.

It's nowhere near close.

CassSept

Look at the delivery, the build up, and conclusion.

It's a joke.

It seems like that because we're so used to it by now, but at the time the rage was real. I wouldn't be so sure it's a joke, it isn't really a far cry from a very common reaction at the time.

Plus, they stopped developing for Nintendo (for years), as opposed to the Final Fantasy 13 situation, where it was just Microsoft in addition to Sony.

It's nowhere near close.

Not really. FF wasnt as popular back then as it was during the PS1 and PS2 era.

GavinGT

Banned
There was also the lesser known sequel:

Time for a wakeup call: Pennello is a filthy liar and a criminal.

He is full of Orwellian doublespeak straight from 1984. Either Microsoft has brainwashed him or he's deliberately lying on their behalf. I cannot believe Square is doing business with them. It disgusts me, to the core, and it's only a matter of time until the Japanese public shun them as outcasts. This has happened to businesses before.

My friend Mark described a general scenario to me that I agree with. Picture this: you have a product that people want. This product has the potential to sell a great deal, but it requires a multimedia electronic system to operate. Do you develop the product for a company that has honor and will treat you with respect, or do you develop the product for a company that has none and will throw you to the dogs after they've made their buck?

(I'm talking about Microsoft and Sony in that analogy)

Microsoft will betray Square. Final Fantasy XIII will not sell to an American audience, and then Square is stuck with the Japanese they betrayed. Checkmate. All in Microsoft's plan. The fallout from this is going to be HUGE and Square is about to see it. I can see the writing on the wall. I'm surprised some of you can't.

I hate to see Square fall this hard.

It wasn't even the most embarrassing post in that thread. That whole thread is a disaster of fanboy tears. Not to mention the lesser moderated sites having the biggest, nastiest meltdowns ever.

Forkball

It's nowhere near close.

I'm talking about E3 announcements. Of course Nintendo has the hall of fame when it comes to franchises jumping ship. Square didn't come out live in front of thousands of people watching at home and on the internet saying that FFVII was coming to Playstation.

I honestly doubt there will ever be an announcement that elicits as much shock and anger as FFXIII coming to 360 did.

The Hermit

This is like that thing where people think Tommy Wiseau is actually a genius, right?

Who is that guy?
I dunno. The only cue for me is the"(I am an expert)". If the quote didn't had that I would believe it was real.

Maybe Muppet was actually outraged, but when he noticed how ridiculous he felt about something so mundane, he decided to turn it into a joke.

StMeph

This is like that thing where people think Tommy Wiseau is actually a genius, right?

I'm pretty sure Wiseau's the only one that thinks so, and his ego doesn't understand that the fascination everyone has with his film is how awful it is.

terrisus

Not really. FF wasnt as popular back then as it was during the PS1 and PS2 era.

This is true.

However, there's a big difference between:
We're going from releasing all of our games on your platform - and we had been exclusive to your company's platforms for quite a while previously - and developing games for you, to not releasing games on your platform at all
and
We're going from releasing our console games on your console system - having only made games for your console system for a decade or so, although we've been making games for another company's handheld system for a while - to also releasing games on other console systems and PC, in addition to your system

Honestly, the latter hardly even seemed like a blip. More like it was bound to happen soon enough.
Just, some people over-reacted to it.

I was actually reading that thread recently. It seemed 100% like a joke, I thought it was clearly making fun of the other overreactions in the thread. Plus the comedic structure was excellent, I find it hard to believe some dumbass that angry about a game would stumble into that format.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom