• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Japanese Culture (I'm an expert) meme

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait- people are now saying FF wasn't as popular in 2008 as it was in the PS2 era?

Two E3's prior Square-Enix blew the doors off of E3 '06 with the Fabula Nova Chrystallis announcement. People were hyped for next-gen XIII (especially after that awesome concept trailer), curious about the potential of VersusXIII, and the Compilation of FFVII was doing really well.
Final Fantasy, as a brand, was very strong. A new Final Fantasy was absolutely still considered a system seller.

I think FFXIII's overall negative critical response post-release has created some kind of history revision. As far as anyone knew in '08, FFXIII was going to be a huge deal and was extremely anticipated, as it was being designed essentially by much of the FFX team.
FFXII got great critical response, but there were a lot of fans that didn't really like its overall style and were really excited about the next FF from series veteran Yoshinori Kitase ((FFV, VI, VII, VIII, and X).

It was a giant feather in Sony's cap, which had a rough first year and a half with the PS3.

That multiplatform announcement caused very real meltdowns- and I don't doubt for a second that Muppet's post was 100% genuine.

Nairume

Banned
Plus the comedic structure was excellent, I find it hard to believe some dumbass that angry about a game would stumble into that format.
Yeah, but there'd have to be evidence to prove writing skill enough to make such a masterful troll believable.

It must be real.

This meme is overused now and more annoying than anything else when used. It also very often derails the thread since you have 4-5 juniors who don't know it and start asking about it or quoting the person.

viewer.php

Jesus, did people forget last gen so easily? Sony was the whipping boy in so many ways here.

They completely ignore it. People like Sony now because MS was a debacle and generally seen as kinda shitty to consumers. I would say Sony regained favor in general when Naughty Dog started created some of the greatest games of all time and started the free games with PS+ with actual good games. As a 360 owner that turned my head when I completely ignored the PS3 for majority of the gen. Sony was a laughingstock before they turned it around. Wasn't even that long ago. Every company gets shat on if they deserve it here.

LosDaddie

Banned
Jesus, did people forget last gen so easily? Sony was the whipping boy in so many ways here.

They completely ignore it. People like Sony now because MS was a debacle and generally seen as kinda shitty to consumers. I would say Sony regained favor in general when Naughty Dog started created some of the greatest games of all time and started the free games with PS+ with actual good games. As a 360 owner that turned my head when I completely ignored the PS3 for majority of the gen. Sony was a laughingstock before they turned it around. Wasn't even that long ago. Every company gets shat on if they deserve it here.

The thread where this meme originated from is just one of MANY where (most of) GAF lost its shit because it was becoming clear that the PS3 wouldn't enjoy the dominance of the PS2. The VF5 thread would be another one. NPD threads last gen used to be so entertaining precisely because you got watch many GAFers deal with that realization.

The nationalism that was behind some of the fanboyism back in the 2000s was really kind of scary.

We almost take for granted that nearly all games will be multiplat these days, back then people acted like you shot their mother or something if you announced a port 6 months down the road.

The thread where this meme originated from is just one of MANY where (most of) GAF lost its shit because it was becoming clear that the PS3 wouldn't enjoy the dominance of the PS2. The VF5 thread would be another one. NPD threads last gen used to be so entertaining precisely because you got watch many GAFers deal with that realization.

Yeah, the realization that the PS3 victory wasn't inevitable took a long, hard toll on some posters. VF5, DMC4, SO4, Ace Combat 6, GTA IV, hell, Resident Evil 5, all were extremely controversial when they were announced for Xbox.

Its too well constructed to be real. Actual fanboy meltdowns are messy, filled with trash logic, while this just exploits the japan expert thing as a theme with a clear opening, middle, and conclusion as if it were drafted.

lazygecko

It is pretty clearly real. People were flipping their shit about it being a betrayalton. Sad thing is running back through that thread now and really it doesn't stand out a huge amount from some other posts.

I was giggling pretty hard at the general reactions at the time. Anyone who believed that Final Fantasy was nearly as relevant as it was being portrayed was way too dep into the hardcore gaming echo chamber.

genjiZERO

I'm actually really kinda sick of it. It was funny the first 100 times I saw it, but now it's become a cliche.

Also, it was totally serious.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
It was completely serious at the time. So was that post that was listing the great games coming to the PS3 and it included "Secret PS3 Game". Anyone remember that post?

It was also extremely transparent how many many people suddenly started claiming that FF Verses was always the more interesting title anyway.

Did that ever come out?

Kyou

After years of giggling about it Muppet showing up and having no one believe him is the funniest godamn cherry on this whole thing.

CassSept

It was completely serious at the time. So was that post that was listing the great games coming to the PS3 and it included "Secret PS3 Game". Anyone remember that post?

I remember secret PS3 games, but there was also this gem

Completley false. PS3 has tons of good games. Mass Effect 2, BulletStorm, Killzone 3, Heavy rain, and a few others I can't think of.

'...and a few others I can't think of.'

It was also extremely transparent how many many people suddenly started claiming that FF Verses was always the more interesting title anyway.

Did that ever come out?

Well, FF Versus is now FFXV. It's 9 years since it's been shown for the first time this E3. I remember I quite liked how the game looked.

It's always funny reading rage posts from people who start crying about how GAF is pro-Sony or Sony-biased. I still remember how much the PS3 got shat on at the beginning of its life when all it had were turds like Haze, Heavenly Sword, and Lair.

Muppet345

After years of giggling about it Muppet showing up and having no one believe him is the funniest godamn cherry on this whole thing.
It peaked with the Smash announcer, but I can't think of a better outcome.
Huh, I expected to find that the poster had a cool tag to go along with the post, but he doesn't. I'm kind of disappointed.
From what I remember of the ban message, the mods at the time were annoyed about having to put up with me. I think they thought I was trying to get one.

faridmon

Did that ever come out?

Holy shit, yeah I remember. That was funnier than anything Square related. I remember, threads upon threads with people listing ''Secret PS3 game'' somewhere in them, and I remember laughing my ass off each time.

Also, the blackboard of games that was supposed to save PS3. Man those were funnier times.

CassSept

Holy shit, yeah I remember. That was funnier than anything Square related. I remember, threads upon threads with people listing ''Secret PS3 game'' somewhere in them, and I remember laughing my ass off each time.

Also, the blackboard of games that was supposed to save PS3. Man those were funnier times.

Wow I forgot about this but there was even a Secret PS3 game OT

HeelPower

It was totally serious.

You still find posters making groundless,uninformed and frankly garbage generalizations about Japanese culture, but most are not remotely as funny or memorable.

Nairume

Banned
Meanwhile, the sprinkles on the ice cream of deliciousness is seeing people who have been in on the joke for years still playing dumb and encouraging others to still think think that post was sincere.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT

The GBA vs PS3 NPD sales battle was hilarious.

Unfortunately, most of the image links from the archived NPD threads no longer work.

PillarEN

721,000+ views on that video with no comments?!
There used to be comments. It was wonderful. The same dude then did a video where he said he knew info on Brawl because he slept with his old boss at Toys R Us.

So good. I love the character he plays.

EDIT: That bit on Konami at the end. Maaaan, times sure do change haha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom