• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King Of Fighters XIII Hype

From console XII to *arcade XIII:

9 new playable characters + 1 boss who will probably be playable in the console version = 32 characters total
6 new stages - 1 from XII = 11 stages total
Arcade mode has pre-match dialogues and endings

Asking if characters have all their moves makes no sense, KOF changes constantly.

NEO0MJ

General Shank-a-snatch said:
From console XII to XIII:

9 new playable characters + 1 boss who will probably be playable in the console version = 32 characters total

Don't forget the new console characters. Though we don't know how many will be added. My guess is 3.

Asking if characters have all their moves makes no sense, KOF changes constantly.

People asking about that are probably scared of a repeat of the retardation that was XII, then again watching a few vids should reassure them.

For those who understand French, Frionel does a really good job with his commentary. He often just pauses the vid or even plays a section again just to explain the situation in detail.

alstein

I don't think an arrange mode KOF would be that hard to do. The balance problems could be solved easily, by nerfing Raiden dropkick combos, lowering K's damage all around by a small amount, and buffing up the low-tier chars (the 0-pters). I don't think it would new stuff added, just a few tweaks.

As for the modes: I think those pre-match arcade dialogues would be as effective as a story mode. I just wish you could select between English and Engrish as language options.

I'd love to see a couple of bonus characters- but I'd be pissed if the tourney crowd banned them just because like what happened with KOFXI (Kusanagi ban made sense though)

I'm guessing two bonus characters and one bonus stage.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Whats the consensus on XII anyways? I know it has shitty netcode and just a few backgrounds, but how are the fighting dynamics, balancing, etc? If the fighting is solid I might grab it for cheaps.

From console XII to *arcade XIII:

6 new stages - 1 from XII = 11 stages total
Arcade mode has pre-match dialogues and endings

Thanks for answering.

In XII, moves weren't changed, the were absent. For instance, Terry has always had his power dunk since it was created, but was removed from XII with no replacement, as were a lot of character's moves.

Raging Spaniard said:
Whats the consensus on XII anyways? I know it has shitty netcode and just a few backgrounds, but how are the fighting dynamics, balancing, etc? If the fighting is solid I might grab it for cheaps.

For the love of God don't bother with it. Spend your cash on XBLA 02UM if you haven't already.

Dark Octave said:
Thanks for answering.

In XII, moves weren't changed, the were absent. For instance, Terry has always had his power dunk since it was created, but was removed from XII with no replacement, as were a lot of character's moves.

Still no Power Dunk in XIII. You're not the only one who wants it back. :(

Dandy J

Which power dunk do you want? It was an invincible reversal/combo ender in 98, then the invincibility was taken away from then on, making it a combo-only move. Or maybe you are asking for cvs1 safe on block power dunk? Some people want Kyo rekkas, but which ones? Do they want the light one from 98 where you just use the first hit because it had godlike range/speed/priority/autoguard, but the rest of the string doesn't have much range? Or do they want the cvs one where its more of a normal 'rekka' type string for pressure? Some people like Kim's dive kick where its like a sf style divekick w/ multiple hits, some people want the FFS version where it's super fast but it catches on hit and bounces off on block. Hell, Kyo may as well not have a fireball in kof12 since they have such bad recovery and startup, but they corrected it and fireballs are a lot better in kof13.

Point is the games always change so even if a move is in the game, it may not be the version you want. If you want power dunk because it was a good reversal move in 98, then you might as well use rising tackle for the same use in kof13. If they put the move in the game, but it doesn't fill a role and no one uses it, what purpose does it serve? If you want it because it led to a meterless un-rollable knockdown, well, only grapplers.....and k' get that. :7)

Whatever gets added, each special move should have its own unique function for the character. I liked that Ralf's EX Gatling Attack resembled his 94-95 super, hopefully they'll be as creative with EX attacks in the future.

Dandy J said:
Which power dunk do you want? It was an invincible reversal/combo ender in 98, then the invincibility was taken away from then on, making it a combo-only move. Or maybe you are asking for cvs1 safe on block power dunk? Some people want Kyo rekkas, but which ones? Do they want the light one from 98 where you just use the first hit because it had godlike range/speed/priority/autoguard, but the rest of the string doesn't have much range? Or do they want the cvs one where its more of a normal 'rekka' type string for pressure? Some people like Kim's dive kick where its like a sf style divekick w/ multiple hits, some people want the FFS version where it's super fast but it catches on hit and bounces off on block. Hell, Kyo may as well not have a fireball in kof12 since they have such bad recovery and startup, but they corrected it and fireballs are a lot better in kof13.

Point is the games always change so even if a move is in the game, it may not be the version you want. If you want power dunk because it was a good reversal move in 98, then you might as well use rising tackle for the same use in kof13. If they put the move in the game, but it doesn't fill a role and no one uses it, what purpose does it serve? If you want it because it led to a meterless un-rollable knockdown, well, only grapplers.....and k' get that. :7)
I've never even noticed all that. It was just a good move that added to Terry's arsenol and made him a little deeper. The absense of it in XII was like playing the game with a couple of missing fingers. No matter how weak or nerfed, it should always be there.

Frankfurt

Banned
Longer summary of the Frionel interview, from Herv:

ON did a live cast show thingy with Frionel, the guy who the console information they reported before came from:

http://orochinagi.com/2011/04/the-on-show-3

There's not really any new information on EXACTLY will or won't be in the console version or terribly titillating clarification, but it is fairly interesting. Here's the important bits if you don't wanna listen to it:

-He's a KOF player from Morocco living in France. He's been big in European tournaments and gone to Japan to participate in tournaments there, and that's how he knows people in SNK Playmore. Apparently in one of those tournaments he was paired with a KOF debug team. He's hesitant to call them "official" contacts per se.

-SNK Playmore apparently wants to stick to the schedule they've laid out, which does indeed involve keeping things close to the chest for a while, but due to the concern of European/foreign players freaking out over the lack of news, he was given the go ahead to say yes, it is happening. I guess this way they can try to alleviate fears without deviating from their announcement schedule.

-He could not confirm or deny that new characters, stages, music, etc. are being worked on, unsurprisingly (he may not actually know for sure either way).

-He made guesses/suggestions of who may show up, saying "popular characters" and naming Oswald and Adel, so if you see anyone saying he announced that they would be in the game or anything...no, that's not what he was saying.

-It seems the thing with the console version being v1.1 isn't entirely set in stone, but there's some interesting reasons why it was said at all. SNK Playmore wants to keep a good relationship with arcade operators, and unsurprisingly KOF XII's performance didn't help any. The free v1.1 patch was part of this, although of course it came with a cost to SNKP, meaning it'd be a big decision if they ever consider another one. Either way, KOF XIII at arcades is designed to make updates easy to implement.

Capcom told arcades that Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition would be the final version with no updates afterwards, and this is the main reason there isn't any additional content (in terms of things that would make the arcade version obsolete) on the DLC patch. In order for SNKP to stay on good terms with arcades, they have to consider something similar. If they make changes to the console version, they'll probably have to put out a 1.2 (thus losing a bunch of money), but of course if they leave it as 1.1, they don't have to do anything.

He makes it clear that he doesn't really know for sure whether or not they'd actually do a 1.2, just that it would complicate things if the console version is different.

-The possibility of them releasing an update of KOFXIII matching the console version as an entirely new game to arcades wasn't brought up at all, which I suppose may indicate he would think that'd be a similar strain on arcade relations.

-He also said that the stuff changed in v1.1 indicates what was a bug and what was not a bug, saying that everything left was intended to be that way. That includes the cross-up "bug", which he also asserts the game is better with due to the lag and long nature of jumping.

-He doesn't know anything about possible DLC for XIII either way.

Funny how SNKP did he same with Fersis - telling one person of the community to spread the word about the game still coming.

SNK put themselves in this predicament. I hate it when companies return great franchises but use the updated graphics gimmick to compensate for barebone features (a la MvC3 and SCIV).

Frankfurt

Banned
Shin Dynamo X said:
SNK put themselves in this predicament. I hate it when companies return great franchises but use the updated graphics gimmick to compensate for barebone features (a la MvC3 and SCIV).

Don't be silly. SNKP planned the development of KOF XII for 3 years. By the end of year 4, they were still missing a LOT of characters, so the game had to be released. The gaming division did what they could, they spent over a year hiring new dotters.

You think game divisions can just bleed money for 5 years straight, and your bosses won't say anything about it? They'll just keep giving you more money? They already gave them an extra year of development, the game needed to be released. Expecting MK9-levels of content of every game is absurd. It's like expecting every game to be like Call of Duty or GTA.

When I read stuff like this i wonder how people's bosses behave. I mean, they must not have deadlines and budgets in their jobs?

Skilletor

Wouldn't adding characters effectively make the console version 1.2 even if there are no balance changes?

That "not wanting to piss off arcade owners" reason is pretty stupid if they plan on adding anything at all to a console port.

Shin Dynamo X said:

Well, I think it went like:

New sprites! -> 4 times the detail! Guilty Gear X sized! -> Uh oh... this takes long. -> Very, very long... -> STREET FIGHTER IV? OH SH-- -> Meh, we've been working on this for 3 years, let's release it, we bleeding pretty badly. 8( -> Nah, it's okay. I don't think fans care for the absense of K', Mai, a final boss, the story conclusion that we promised, poor netcode, huge lack of special movesblablabla -> (the game is released, worst KOF ever) -> ...........anyone interested in a music pack DLC? :)

Bumping this thread to say that there was a KOF XIII tournament at Stunfest XI last week and vids of the finals should be uploaded before long. IIRC there were something like 28 entrants, which isn't so bad for a game which people here have a limited access to.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
gundamkyoukai said:
Thought we had some new info but a good tournament is always good to see.
I think that we'll have to wait until E3.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Tizoc said:
AKSYS should announce publishing this game in E3, seriously if they publish it this game will sell like hot cakes.
Aksys wont publish KOFXIII.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Ken Masters said:
sell like hot cakes to the 30 people interested in it

Good one

Thanks for the update frankfurt

Atleast we know the game is coming to console

I'm surprised that nobody has posted the off hand comments of that Japanese person who complained about Froniel speaking of KOF. He threw a fit about not being able to write KOF stories since SNK told him not to release any works at this time.

http://orochinagi.com/2011/05/what-hit-the-fan

And I still feel like I"m crazy for spending four hours driving to play 30 minutes of KOF XIII. And I'm going back in about two weeks to do it again.

Fersis

Douche McBaggins The 3rd said:
I'm surprised that nobody has posted the off hand comments of that Japanese person who complained about Froniel speaking of KOF. He threw a fit about not being able to write KOF stories since SNK told him not to release any works at this time.

And I still feel like I"m crazy for spending four hours driving to play 30 minutes of KOF XIII. And I'm going back in about two weeks to do it again.
DAYUUUUUUMN!

And believe it or not the only gaming relateed website i check is GAF so i always miss these kind of news.

Douche McBaggins The 3rd said:

yes, you're crazy :)

but i'd do the same, if i could.

Actually it was to go pick up my uncle at the airport in San Fran. I was like hey I'm here, lets go play some KOF XIII. Went to the Rack N Que at San Fransisco State University. Game is beautiful in real life. I'm glad they got rid of Blazblue CS for it. KOF XIII always has people playing it too. It just makes the home port that much more painful to wait.

Fersis

Let us know if there's new information.

Nothing mind blowing.

• Console development started alongside Arcade.
  • Same team.
  • Will be released before the end of 2011, international release if they find a publisher.
  • Release to be announced 'soon'.
  • KOFXIII regained Arcade operators trust after KOFXII.
  • KOF writer got mad at SNKP because they dont share info with the Japanese fans.
  • We shouldnt worry about KOFXIII online code.
  • Arcade version has input delay which will be removed and replaced by internet lag.
  • New CEO is not into games, pachinkos are making good money that its lost with video games.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
(Was typing this while you typed your synopsis Fersis, so hope I didn't step on your toes or anything XD)

I listened to it earlier. Frionel (Friono!) did a decent job trying to answer question through wanting to maintain trust with the company.

It was mostly a re-iteration of what he said last time, though. SNKP probably won't change their plans, unless the Japanese pressure makes them change.

They'll limit how much "new" stuff XIII gets on release, to keep arcades happy. The only way he sees massive console changes (such as Chara's and balance stuff) working out well for arcades, is if SNKP offers them the console changes for "free". Which would of course be expensive for SNKP.

His take on the "SNKP to end game production?!?!" stuff was pretty much an amalgamation of the original news, and the Gamespot article that followed it up. The new prez feels one way, the workers feel another, and the company is working through it.

As far as when new info will be mentioned, he theorizes it'll happen after their current projects, such as Trouble Witches DLC, and SNK Arcade Classics 0 on PSP, are released.

In other things, he says he thinks Duo Lon is very well build it XIII, perhaps the best he's ever been. Then he says he still feels Mai is missing something, though her jumping CD is amazingly good.

They talk to some players at the recent Tourney, who all pretty much say they love XIII, would get it on console, that it feels different than 2K2, in a good, but weird way, and one guy even says he really enjoys Hwa Jai!

They mention there are 6+ XIII machines in France, and 0 in the U.K. They speak on the struggle of obtaining arcade hardware, and potential complications.

It's a nice conversation overall, but don't listen in a way that expects dates or solid plans....

Patience is a big virtue for an SNKP fan, haha.

Edit: I do wonder if his grasp on the "Input lag" thing makes sense, though. I wanna interpet it as ultimately meaning "This game has input buffers that are online friendly!", similiar to BB, which will help the online anyway... reguardless of netcode. But it's not really saying "we're using rollback tech!" or anything of that sort...

Fersis

I guess it's back to neutral, then. :l
Im editing my post with more stuff as im listening.

EDIT: PWND by Super Argentina Backbraker.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Fersis said:
Im editing my post with more stuff as im listening.

EDIT: PWND by Super Argentina Backbraker.

:lol: Yours will be better organized though, since it's more play-by-play ^_^
I enjoy reading a second opinion myself, too.

And tolerance. A HUGE amount of tolerance.

It doesn't even both me much, oddly. I think I'm just used to it from the 90s. On the non=game side, it reminds me of waiting a year+ for episodes of new anime to be released, or how the Japanese must feel when OVA series would take insanely large breaks between episodes. Back to gaming, it reminds me of the original MGS wait.

*old man voice*
And we didn't have constant videos, and gameplay to watch back then! Or HighDeffy screenshutters! And we only dreamed about playing with friends 2 blocks down, rather than on the couch! Nothing like these fancy "On-the-line" games!
*/old-man-voice*

I still wish they'd hold a SSFIIHDR-like worldwide online beta, though!

Fersis

Are you going to give the OP a major change to hype the console release? I could help you with that.
Nah im gonna make a new thread.

Im not into huge picture threads, gonna be text based so its easy to copy and paste moves and stuff like that.

^ At least a banner + character line up, I guess?

With tolerance, I meant SNKP's poor way of handling their games over the past... 8 years? But whatever, there's always 02UM to go back to.

Fersis

^ At least a banner + character line up, I guess?

With tolerance, I meant SNKP's poor way of handling their games over the past... 8 years? But whatever, there's always 02UM to go back to.
Yeah of course but it wont be crazy like the MK thread. (Mad love to fernoca)

SNKP should hire me as Community Manager they can pay me with Elisabeth dolls and pillows.

Fersis said:
Yeah of course but it wont be crazy like the MK thread. (Mad love to fernoca)

SNKP should hire me as Community Manager they can pay me with Elisabeth dolls and pillows.

Yeah, it would be fun if you could attach fun character description to characters. Like Ash; he'll burn you and worry about his manicure. I like that one

Fersis

Urban Scholar said:
Yeah, it would be fun if you could attach fun character description to characters. Like Ash; he'll burn you and worry about his manicure. I like that one
Oh Ash will be the star of the thread.
SUCK IT HATERS!!

311-Ash_Crimson.jpg

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso

Yeah, I mean to say, I don't even feel that wronged by it all, though. Years back, I was wondering how in the world XI, NGBC, and the AoF and FFBattle Archives even MADE it to US shores, lol. And their support of XBLA... I was so thankful to have a legit version of SSII to finally play, lol. I though it was incredibly awesome to get Neowave and Samsho V on original Xbox, and I thoroughly enjoyed both Maximum impact games.

Netcode stuff sucks, but Neowave gave me a HUGE amount of enjoyment on XBL backwards compatability, NGBC still runs great, and my time with post-patch KoF XII was smoother running than the issues I've had with MK9 or Tekken 6, both from companies I expect to have MUCH more "means" to prevent that kinda stuff.

.... The fact Sega/Treasure are bringing out Guardian Heroes on XBLA doesn't hurt either, lol. Everything smells a bit sweeter, the world has gotten a bit more colorful... it's kinda sad! XD

Yeah, I mean to say, I don't even feel that wronged by it all, though. Years back, I was wondering how in the world XI, NGBC, and the AoF and FFBattle Archives even MADE it to US shores, lol.

I was also wondering how SNKP kept their heads above water, they really had some shoddy business with SNKP USA and Ignition EU. You'd think Japanese text heavy niche RPGs on the PSP (the kind that makes you wonder who the Christ would buy it) are way more difficult to release in the Western world than fighting games, it seems that anything can be done if the companies involved are dedicated enough.

Top Bottom