• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King Of Fighters XIII Hype

Tizoc

~Devil Trigger~ said:
if SNK would revive any series it should be Last fuckin Blade
Why is it whenever anyone talks about reviving SNK series it's never a non-Fighting game?
How about a game based on Super Spy's concept? an FPS with some RPG elements. Heck so what if it's already been done? Use this idea for a PSN/XBL GAME.
Then there's Top Hunter, you could make that into a platformer of sorts.
Or heck Athena or Psycho Soldier.

Frankfurt

Banned
Kinda weird that SNK will allow Square to use Kyo on their arcade card game, right along a BlazBlue character, no less, but they won't allow exposure from EVO or, if it's an arcade issue, even their own KOF writer!

And Frionel saying the port is being made by "the same team"... Uh, the KOF director left SNK in November. It's not the same thing at all.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Tizoc said:
Why is it whenever anyone talks about reviving SNK series it's never a non-Fighting game?
How about a game based on Super Spy's concept? an FPS with some RPG elements. Heck so what if it's already been done? Use this idea for a PSN/XBL GAME.
Then there's Top Hunter, you could make that into a platformer of sorts.
Or heck Athena or Psycho Soldier.
If irem are happy killing off R-type, SNK needs to bring back Pulstar!
Twinkle Star Sprites too.

If anything, SNK should revive FATAL FURY as a brand. Re-name KOF, or make a Garou 2, but FATAL FURY should be the mainline name.

It was one of the few franchises you can say in the same breath as SFII back in the 90's, and I think the name is alot more american-friendly than KING OF THE FIGHTERS XIII.

Call it Fatal Fury IV, take out teams, take out a shitload of stupid characters from KOF, make Geese the final boss, put Mai prominently on the cover, charge 39.99 and SNK will stay alive for a few more years, at least.

GrayFoxPL

Criminal Upper said:
If anything, SNK should revive FATAL FURY as a brand. Re-name KOF, or make a Garou 2, but FATAL FURY should be the mainline name.

It was one of the few franchises you can say in the same breath as SFII back in the 90's, and I think the name is alot more american-friendly than KING OF THE FIGHTERS XIII.

Call it Fatal Fury IV, take out teams, take out a shitload of stupid characters from KOF, make Geese the final boss, put Mai prominently on the cover, charge 39.99 and SNK will stay alive for a few more years, at least.

FOK Fighters Of King

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Lyte Edge said:
I've said this before...go back a few years, and you will not have found a bigger SNK fan here than me. They are past having gone downhill and it's going to take a lot for me to have a lot of faith in them again.

Still waiting for official confirmation of a XIII home release. It's vaporware until then. Some guy on a podcast is not enough, sorry.

And MAN I wish they'd make some new titles/sequels instead of just KOF. More Garou/Fatal Fury, please.

Yeah, I can understand how you can feel that way, it's just no where NEAR that bad to me, lol. If SamShoSen became the only thing they made, and everything afterwards was a bunch of 3D ports that ripped off every other fighter... I could understand the "past downhill" stuff easily.

But even with the crappy online stuff, they've brought more arcade titles to 360 than any other fighter dev. They were the ONLY people bringing out fighters for a few years on PS2 and Xbox.

I dunno... the ONLY thing I've really had REAL issue with in these past few years is the online stuff. Every company out there makes a few "bad" games. I'm personally much more annoyed when companies that should have the money to do better, mess up.

I'd also be more mad if they were still making these games outta sprite rips and such. XII and XIII still are working on an art style beyond anyone else out there. Noone else is even TRYING to make such refined spritework on on current-gen hardware.
(Unless that's capcom's secret plan with 3rd strike online ed, lol. And even if it is, congrats, they're number 2! wow!)

And then ya see all the stuff they added to XIII, vs XII. And you hear about how the employees couldn't go home, had to sleep under desk, how they wouldn't buy new chairs or programming books due to fighting so hard to stay on schedule... I guess I just have empathy for artist fighting hard to stick by their craft.

Anyway, yeah, I agree, I wanna see more than KoF from them. If XIII were XI, And the ACTUAL product they wanted to get out in 06, 08, 09, whatever, was out, then yeah, I'd be expecting something new too. But at this point... I still feel like I'm just seeing them do NOW, what they wanted to do 4 or so years ago. And not even due to lack of trying!

FallingEdge said:
From a gameplay perspective, someone tell me what was wrong with XII.

Every game has its quirks but I don't understand how XII is a bad game.

The major reasons I've seen:
  • Changes are scary!
  • Game lacked content!
  • Online was Sub-Par, and even though it improved, too little, too late!
  • CritCounter was too Random. Made the game feel more like luck than skill.
  • How dare SNKP sell me an arcade game I've seen videos of for months for 60 bucks! BETA! DEMO! How DARE they take my money!
  • NO MAI, NO BAI! (They Lie, they didn't wanna buy it anyway!)
I'd say, if they games content was more full (bosses, more charas, etc), alot of what it did "wrong" gameplay wise would be mostly ok, and we woulda seen it grow in the next games.

If you can FIND someone near you who can appreciate playing the game with you, then XII is a perfectly fine game.

I kinda wish they cut the cast 1/3rd down (So only work on 15 or so characters), spend the time making moves and "fluff" for the console release, called it GAROU 2, and went with the in-game view and distance XIII has. We'd be in a whole different place now!

Rahxephon91 said:
I likeed KoF XII, so I'm fine with them staying around even if they release 1 new game every so often.

I really hope that if XIII does well, they'll be able to expand into some new things. If they could publish some random Doujin/even small devs games on online platforms, stick some SNK characters into those games, and build up enough money between those things to make their own awesome stuff in between, I'd be rather happy.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Fersis said:
Agreed GAROU 2 please!
Olaeh said:
Garou 2 and I can die happy.
Criminal Upper said:
Re-name KOF, or make a Garou 2, but FATAL FURY should be the mainline name.
SAB CA said:
I kinda wish they cut the cast 1/3rd down (So only work on 15 or so characters), spend the time making moves and "fluff" for the console release, called it GAROU 2, and went with the in-game view and distance XIII has. We'd be in a whole different place now!
80LaJ.png

done!

Isn't MOTW technically Garou 4 or 5? (if you count RB)

N4Us

SAB CA said:
  • Changes are scary!
  • Game lacked content!
  • How dare SNKP sell me an arcade game I've seen videos of for months for 60 bucks! BETA! DEMO! How DARE they take my money!

* NO MAI NO BUY

I can see people really want SNK to die , KOF is there biggest series for years now.
Doing another Garou is a waste of time unless they bring back the old cast .
There best Fatal Fury game was RBFFS.

As for KOF XII that had a whole bunch of issues
The cast was to small compare to 98UM and 2002UM in fact the cast was to small for a KOF game in the whole.
Chars were missing moves and were unfinished , the game just lack content .
CritCounter system was to random , poor online .
The game play was trash.

SNK taking out chars for story reasons is also trash , there a reason why the Dream Match games are the best.

TreIII

Criminal Upper said:

The problem even there is that KOF is still a much larger and more worldwide brand than FF ever was. Sacrificing KOF for FF would not be the right move to make.

Furthermore, even FF likely wouldn't generate as much interest in SNK in the US. Perhaps more so the heart of the matter lies in how a game called Samurai Shodown 3 single-handedly dismantled the one good foothold SNK had in the West: Samurai Shodown, itself.

By the time SS4 came out and did a lot to make amends for its immediate predecessor's failure, it was far too late. Soul Edge was already out in arcades, and Namco's weapon-based fighter pretty much did a lot to give people what they wanted from such a game, plus was in super-shiny 3D. And that pretty much laid the foundation for SoulCalibur to fully usurp the position that formerly belonged to SS years prior.

So yeah, I fully agree with whomever bought up SS3 in that "game you wish you could erase from history" topic from a few weeks back. I can't think of any greater example that did the most damage to SNK's standing in the world of gaming than that one game (well, and MVS piracy too).

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
Criminal Upper said:

I like the way you think.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Fighting game tournament ReveleLAtions will have KOFXIII as a side tourney thanks to the dreamcancel.com folks.

11022 Aviation Blvd. Los Angeles, CA 90045
(310) 670-3093

Dates:
June 10th -12th (KOFXIII tourney Saturday June 11)

Dreamcancel post.
ReveLAtions website

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Fersis said:
Fighting game tournament ReveleLAtions will have KOFXIII as a side tourney thanks to the dreamcancel.com folks.

Thanks for the update! This should hopefully produce some great (HD?) Videos to watch...
(Dreamcancel needs to get some official sponsorship from SNKP one of these days too... they're doing SO much with their limited resources...)

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
SAB CA said:
Thanks for the update! This should hopefully produce some great (HD?) Videos to watch...
(Dreamcancel needs to get some official sponsorship from SNKP one of these days too... they're doing SO much with their limited resources...)
I think that SNKP cant do much until KOFXII on consoles is announced. (Publisher deals and such)

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Fersis said:
I think that SNKP cant do much until KOFXII on consoles is announced. (Publisher deals and such)

Oh yeah, understand that. I just mean... they deserve it ^_^ DC.com has come very far in such a short amount of time, and they've been very instrumental at getting XIII in front of a lot of people who never would have paid much attention, otherwise.

HD direct feed captures, notice from JP tournament players, probably the best XIII wiki available, etc... it's quite impressive.

For the US, it's gotten to the point of "If SNKP can't, Dreamcancel CAN!", which is pretty awesome!

Fersis said:

(310) 670-3093

Dates:

Dreamcancel post.
ReveLAtions website
If I don't end up attending CEO, I'll definitely stream monster this.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
SAB CA said:
  • Changes are scary!
  • Game lacked content!
  • NO MAI, NO BAI! (They Lie, they didn't wanna buy it anyway!)
I'd say, if they games content was more full (bosses, more charas, etc), alot of what it did "wrong" gameplay wise would be mostly ok, and we woulda seen it grow in the next games.

If you can FIND someone near you who can appreciate playing the game with you, then XII is a perfectly fine game.

Honestly, I don't see how anyone can justify what KOFXII was, nor its pricepoint. Even the most die-hard KoF fan has to admit that this slovenly tossed together package was not worth $60... and that only people who wanted to blindly support SNK would purchase it at retail, rationalizing the money spent through the prospect of funding the next real title. I have never seen a game released with characters missing half their movelists before.

It was incredibly underwhelming, and to say that the game "lacked content" is an strong understatement.

That said, I'm looking forward to XIII. Probably get it day one based on what I've seen.

Oh, and no mai no bai.

Tain

My reaction to KoF XII wasn't that it was priced too highly or anything like that, but instead that the core game (as in, the arcade game) lacked variety compared to others in the series and didn't bring much new, so why bother playing it?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
GuardianE said:
Honestly, I don't see how anyone can justify what KOFXII was, nor its pricepoint. Even the most die-hard KoF fan has to admit that this slovenly tossed together package was not worth $60... and that only people who wanted to blindly support SNK would purchase it at retail, rationalizing the money spent through the prospect of funding the next real title.

It was incredibly underwhelming, and to say that the game "lacked content" is an strong understatement.

That said, I'm looking forward to XIII. Probably get it day one based on what I've seen.

Oh, and no mai no bai.

Eh, just depends on how you look at it. If I just take value at "Did I get 60 bucks worth of play outta this, VS if I was to play it in an arcade, at 50 cent, or a 1.00 a pop?" then yeah, easily got 60 bucks outta it. In like... the first 2 or 3 days, lol.

For all the neutered movesets and stuff of XII, I still find myself wishing I had properties from that game, on the same characters in older KoFs. Such as Chin's "quickie punches", Leona's particular version of X-Calibur + ground CD making her Grand Saber combos more intuitive on the ground, and the mixup potential / speed of Terry's Crack Shoot and Burn Knuckle.

Combo-able CDs were a great setup mechanic for so many combos, and I really liked the Clash system, as I'm sure I've mentioned before. (Do you know how much I wish Makoto could "clash" with fireball spam in SSFIV? :lol:)

By the time XII had come out on consoles in America, I had seen Hours upon HOURS of vids (odd for me, as I couldn't stand match vids of any other games at time time, save for of good Vipers in SFIV), I'd watched Kane317 earn his "best Chin in the US!" title, and wanted to put my own spin on a lot of what I'd seen him do, and I'd watched crappy low-quality vids from KusoCamera, of Europeans pulling off tricks with Ash and Shen that the other countries hadn't yet.

While the netcode was getting modified, I had my brother to play with offline. When it got better, I had improved play with online friends. Watching the CC's they came up with, showing off my own, dominating opponents with the "OMG HE SUXXXZ!" version of Clark due to actually getting used to his new tools, reading new winquote (as the game had SO many things for the characters to say to each other upon victory) WEEKS into playing that references so many little snippets of KoF history... I PERSONALLY had more fun with it, than I ever did with the first version of BlazBlue.

But anyway... XIII is easily the more superior game, we can see that much very easily, and I'm glad SOME of what I liked in XII still remains in XIII. And a lot of what was crappy in XII got completly overhauled, for the better.

Oh, and on the "missing half their moves" thing... didn't care, overall. I felt often in KoF that many moves we just added as a way to keep characters fresh, but they didn't NEED all of those things. Stuff started to overlap, command wise, and use wise, combos would do the SAME damage regardless of if you ended the string with 1 move or another, and there was a lot of stuff you never really saw anyone USE in real matches, anyway. This doesn't mean I was happy with everyone's movesets (Elisabeth was horribly neutered, for example!), but I had a much easier time saying "Good riddance!" to a few things...

Fersis

SAB CA said:
Eh, just depends on how you look at it. If I just take value at "Did I get 60 bucks worth of play outta this, VS if I was to play it in an arcade, at 50 cent, or a 1.00 a pop?" then yeah, easily got 60 bucks outta it. In like... the first 2 or 3 days, lol.

For all the neutered movesets and stuff of XII, I still find myself wishing I had properties from that game, on the same characters in older KoFs. Such as Chin's "quickie punches", Leona's particular version of X-Calibur + ground CD making her Grand Saber combos more intuitive on the ground, and the mixup potential / speed of Terry's Crack Shoot and Burn Knuckle.

Combo-able CDs were a great setup mechanic for so many combos, and I really liked the Clash system, as I'm sure I've mentioned before. (Do you know how much I wish Makoto could "clash" with fireball spam in SSFIV? :lol:)

By the time XII had come out on consoles in America, I had seen Hours upon HOURS of vids (odd for me, as I couldn't stand match vids of any other games at time time, save for of good Vipers in SFIV), I'd watched Kane317 earn his "best Chin in the US!" title, and wanted to put my own spin on a lot of what I'd seen him do, and I'd watched crappy low-quality vids from KusoCamera, of Europeans pulling off tricks with Ash and Shen that the other countries hadn't yet.

While the netcode was getting modified, I had my brother to play with offline. When it got better, I had improved play with online friends. Watching the CC's they came up with, showing off my own, dominating opponents with the "OMG HE SUXXXZ!" version of Clark due to actually getting used to his new tools, reading new winquote (as the game had SO many things for the characters to say to each other upon victory) WEEKS into playing that references so many little snippets of KoF history... I PERSONALLY had more fun with it, than I ever did with the first version of BlazBlue.

But anyway... XIII is easily the more superior game, we can see that much very easily, and I'm glad SOME of what I liked in XII still remains in XIII. And a lot of what was crappy in XII got completly overhauled, for the better.

Oh, and on the "missing half their moves" thing... didn't care, overall. I felt often in KoF that many moves we just added as a way to keep characters fresh, but they didn't NEED all of those things. Stuff started to overlap, command wise, and use wise, combos would do the SAME damage regardless of if you ended the string with 1 move or another, and there was a lot of stuff you never really saw anyone USE in real matches, anyway. This doesn't mean I was happy with everyone's movesets (Elisabeth was horribly neutered, for example!), but I had a much easier time saying "Good riddance!" to a few things...
Agreed. I loved Leonas's new XCalibur.

I wanted to say that i smile everytime i see this thread in the first page.
* Hugs all the KOF fans *

EDIT: Wow almost 5,000 posts!!

SAB CA said:

I agree with a lot of what you said. Now lets put some spin on that shall we?

When I first got the game, I knew before hand that it would be a work in progress or that it would be incomplete. The game itself is somewhat incomplete, but overall I feel that it's fleshed out from a gameplay standpoint but the characters could use a little bit of work. I played about 3000 matches give or take online so yes, I got my moneys worth.

For the drastically reduced movesets, I find it good and bad. A lot of people really find it bad, but I find that it gives people more attention to learn the properties of the fewer move sets. One example is the power dunk. Everyone complained about that move being gone, but in all actuality how practical is the move? Some versions of it are more practical then others, especially in Fatal Fury where the power dunk had a lot more viability, but it seems that more people just wanted a lot of moves to play around with rather than having practical moves to work with. They also changed how stuff worked significantly and made them far more varied. I never used Crack Shoot much in past KOF games. But in this one it can be used as an anti air if timed just right or as an overhead which most people seem to forget about. For more mainline characters they do have less moves but they still feel fleshed out. It's characters like Mature that got the royal boning. So much was gone, yet I still played as her to piss off people and win.

Kane being the best Chin in the US? That's debatable. I've fought him online and he's pretty good and I based a lot of my Chin fighting style on what he does and learned a lot, but I think that's debatable.

Though to be fair, i was pretty damn pissed off at KOF XII when I first got it. NOBODY really played like how I remember them in 98 or 2002. Chin was the biggest shock. No Jug toss, no lying down on the ground, no rolling punch, no shenanigans. Leona had a completely different set too. Goro lost one frame grabs and it confused me on how to properly time everything. Though I did eventually learn to love his autoguard grab. Learned a completely new KOF because of this.

The netcode. Since I'm in California where Arcade Infinity and a lot of other KOF players are was decent actually. I had a lot of nice lag free fights PRIOR to the patch. The patch did make things better, but it went the capcom route of making it appear smooth but having significant input lag. Though this tends to fool people. If it does let it, if it makes more people feel better.

I had a hell of a lot more fun with King of Fighters XII then Blazblue. I think I only did like 200 ranked blazblue fights while I did nearly 3000 KOF XII fights. Easily more money in that. I'm in the top 200 I believe world wide on the PS3 version. Though I did notice SF syndrome on KOF XII with 90% of the people using Robert, Kyo and Ash.

Still I got my money worth out of it. Still waiting for XIII, but I have at least played the thing. Spent four hours driving to play it for only thirty minutes but those thirty minutes will be remembered until I get my console version. I'm going to play it again next week too.

esquire in the VF5FS thread said:
You know... every time you bump this thread with anything other than news that this game is indeed coming out on Xbox360 PS3, your penis gets a little shorter.*

*This does not apply to this post.

Harumph.

You know, this is one of the few topics I like seeing on the first page. It's just that thanks to SNKP's oath of silence, we don't really get any news. At least the uploaded videos give me something new to see. I'm hoping that Froniel is right and this is out in the summer in Japan.

Fersis

TheAnswer tweeted that he got confirmation that KOFXIII will have stream time in ReveLAtions

(310) 670-3093

Dates:

Dreamcancel post.
[URL="http://www.tournamentlegacy]Website[/URL]

Douche McBaggins The 3rd said:
No I didn't go. Plane got delayed so I just stayed there instead of going to play.

Sorry to hear that. Any idea when the next chance is?

Augemitbutter said:
whichever version will come out first will be mine. I'll import the shit out of it.

I imported the US version of XII because the EU release date wasn't even in sight back then. Eventually, it was released after the online community died and there isn't even the music scam DLC in the Store. I don't mind importing again if they're gonna neglect the EU version as usual.

249540_596994222190_55905778_32261197_4957634_n.jpg

Stopped by the awesome South Town Arcade in San Francisco this weekend while in town for a Kylie Minogue concert. Got to play a little bit of single player mode, but quit early so my friend who I was with wouldn't get bored. He's not really a KOF fan.

patrickthehedgehog said:
Stopped by the awesome South Town Arcade in San Francisco this weekend while in town for a Kylie Minogue concert.
You got to play KoFXIII AND see Cammy sing?

Nice weekend for a fighting game fan.

Fersis

So... who is hyped for a 'megatonic' KOFXIII reveal at E3?

patrickthehedgehog said:
Got to play a little bit of single player mode, but quit early so my friend who I was with wouldn't get bored. He's not really a KOF fan.

A real friend would be happy for your sake and just sucked it up. :mad:

Fersis said:

Doesn't seem likely to me, unless you got more insider information from your secret source?

Fersis said:
Not really.

They have their work ahead of them trying to rehype me after I've been burned by the wait.

And there's the cynic in me saying that KoFXIII, if it even IS at E3, won't be a megaton and will be outclassed in discussion and coverage by "OMG Jin in SFxT".

I mad.

Fersis

Slamtastic said:
Not really.

They have their work ahead of them trying to rehype me after I've been burned by the wait.

And there's the cynic in me saying that KoFXIII, if it even IS at E3, won't be a megaton and will be outclassed in discussion and coverage by "OMG Jin in SFxT".

I mad.
Moar like Madtastic amirite? ;)

Im hyped because for some magical reason SNKP prevented any kind of leaks so far.
Props for that.

GrayFoxPL

Fersis said:
Im hyped because for some magical reason SNKP prevented any kind of leaks so far.
Props for that.

Maybe they have nothing to leak?

MAXIMUM IMPACT 3 ALL OVER MY BUSTA WOLF!

Edit:Slamtastic, you son of a powa geyzer!

Fersis

GrayFoxPL said:
Maybe they have nothing to leak?

MAXIMUM IMPACT 3 ALL OVER MY BUSTA WOLF!
The only info we got so far is what Frionel said.

tearsofash

Is SNKP even going to E3?

I like KOF, but I think it needs a break. It used to try to be sort of a 'crossover' kind of game, but for several years it has taken on a life of its own with less emphasis on using various SNKP properties. We got neogeo battle coliseum but... yeah.

Top Bottom