• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King of Fighters XIV |OT| ¡VIVA REY DE DINOSAURIOS!

Rhapsody

Banned
So for the ones I use most,

Iori: Practically the same, I don't think anyone expected anything drastic lol
K': Overhead starts up faster which is unnecessary lol. Heat Drive having added recovery means he'll probably lose roll setup off of it.
Kula: I was expecting the nerfs, she was too strong imo. The buffs don't mean much to me.
Nakoruru: Very happy they didn't do anything dumb since I like where she's at now. I'll take dealing with bird cling into kick not dealing guard damage.

Still glancing through the list overall, but mostly happy with the changes.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Told you broskis, told you about the Lk SAB autoguard!
3MGerQw.png

Clark ver.XIII

So for the ones I use most,
Kula: I was expecting the nerfs, she was too strong imo. The buffs don't mean much to me.
KOF Champion Sanwa M' : * Laughs *

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
FLASHING ELBOW IS SUPER CANCELABLE THANK YOU WAIT WHERE ARE MY VICE CHANGES I WANT MORE AND SOME FOR MAXIMA LET ME CANCEL GUARD POINTS AGAIN AND CAN WE GET SOME NEW SPECIALS WHAT NELSON HAS DASH CANCELS AND MIAN HAS A BUNCH OF SHIFTS LOOKS SYLVIE HAS FASTER JUMPS AND SO DOES ZARINA I DON"T KNOW WHAT THAT MOVE DOES HEY DO BILLY AND LUONG HAVE STANDING LOWS OH THIS SHOULD BE INTERESTING AND ONE MORE THI---

*ahem*

Honestly, even with my Leelona nerfed a bunch, I still feel like everything done all around is a matter to achieve roster balance, rather than taking the fun outta my characters, and that's great. I got stuff I didn't know I wanted (So many adjusted cancellable far lights), and changes I love the sound of (New OTGs, All that work on Tung), and am now hype to see in action. This is a pretty massive patch.

Making life not universal is just dumb

some of the other stuff tho Kreygasm

Yeah, I dunno how to feel about that, too. Like... I loved the universal life in most KoFs, and though compensating with guard gauge having different lengths was a nice mechanic.

But Life as a metric is more palpable to the general FG community. If I fell you Leona is a kill-crazed glass Cannon, but can be removed from combat by 1 mistake caster, that means more than "Well, she doesn't have any proxy unblocks, and she's not as solid a point character as many because she thrives on meter!" or some such.

Overall, I like what adjusting HP allowed them to keep IN. And I also like how it makes increased specialization out of certain characters like Chang, who now can take 200 HP more damage than most, and 300 more than a glass cannon. That'll mean something to some players, y'know? I'm happy with keeping my strong tools, but being able to take one less punch or special, in this case.

But Life as a metric is more palpable to the general FG community. If I fell you Leona is a kill-crazed glass Cannon, but can be removed from combat by 1 mistake caster, that means more than "Well, she doesn't have any proxy unblocks, and she's not as solid a point character as many because she thrives on meter!" or some such.

Overall, I like what adjusting HP allowed them to keep IN. And I also like how it makes increased specialization out of certain characters like Chang, who now can take 200 HP more damage than most, and 300 more than a glass cannon. That'll mean something to some players, y'know? I'm happy with keeping my strong tools, but being able to take one less punch or special, in this case.

so basically the KOF of concessions and compromise once again smh

Amedo310

Shit, unified quickmax run distance sounds cool.

Team Japan seems cool for the way I played them.

I bet Terry light burn knuckle no longer hard knockdown​.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
so basically the KOF of concessions and compromise once again smh

I find it pretty bold, actually. I think they'd be more compromising if they just bowed to pressure and removed EVERYTHING people whine about (difficult inputs, hops, overall character power). A lot of the Strong stuff stayed in (Leona still has a world of Instant Overheads and a Crossup, still has strong lights) and they even gave such a character a solid buff (Welcome back V Slasher Invuln!). Compounded with all the shifts to the projectile game (mass amount of Invincibility returning to classic KOF ways, Andy's Fireball game getting nerfed across the board, etc) and confirms (such as the amount of newly special and super cancellable pokes), I feel like they actually have a grand vision they're working for, rather than giving in to pressure and whining.

If anything, they sped up many jumps, gave a wider range of characters tools similar to the wealth that higher tier characters have, reduced some things that felt like they were too good for the game, and found a way to incentivize a larger portion of the cast to players.

I don't think it's PERFECT (I agree with you that rolls need to be more functional, and more than a newbie player death-trap), and making a SF-style change rubs me the wrong way in concept. But in the grand scheme of things? I'm glad to see them trying it, because in this case, I think it'll make the conversations on character worth more interesting, without being too hard to understand.

I was in favor of rolls being made both shorter distance-wise and universal across the roster (both for consistency as a defensive option and for the purpose of getting better punishes out of guard cancel rolls) so I think you had someone else in mind there.

Anyway I'm looking at Nelson and that looks really interesting. Glad Ramon and Angel got overheads back, I really wanted those too.

Variable stamina/life bars is a very interesting way to buff/nerf a character outside of outright destroying their moves or giving them bullshit moves. I didn't think I'd see variable stamina/life bars in a KOF game. This buffs the big bodies(especially Chang) and nerfs the top tiers...kind of.

Other than that, this patch is godlike. Tons of characters got love in this patch, and I don't really think anybody got butchered.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Made a New Thread for the New News of the patch, BTW.

Ranbus finally have invincibility!
Yeah, really glad to see this too. (I'm also glad to see Ryo's Light Hien Shippu Kyaku get more followup time, and for EX Zanretsuken to be made better.)

Wonder how Kod, Tung, Billy and Antonov will stack up to others after this patch.

Yeah, really looking forward to this myself. I love Tung, and brother enjoys... pretty much those other 3, so lot to play and fight against for me.

I was in favor of rolls being made both shorter distance-wise and universal across the roster (both for consistency as a defensive option and for the purpose of getting better punishes out of guard cancel rolls) so I think you had someone else in mind there.

Naaa, that's what I mean. I feel like their length and recovery do more to get the users of them in trouble right now, rather than give them a way out. Thus, for those who expect a "get Out of Jail + a chance at advantage for Meter" card, they're generally just getting blown up.

I don't think that's the way solid rolls should work in KOF.

shaowebb

Yo they went and added invincibility to a LOT of character moves in this patch. Eager to test Hyper Chain Drive with K' to see how much it got. Also curious how much faster Mui Mui's small and medium jumps got. Can I instant air some stuff now?

BTW Antonov sounds usable now. Lots of projectile invincibility and a really nice hit confirm from crH into super was added.

Hyun Sai

So for the characters I play :

Terry : I really hope Heavy powerwave is lightning fast so that this move got a purpose.

Don't understand what they did to light burning knuckle on hit. No longer hard knockdown ?

Oh well, Max Buster Wolf may do insane damage now, it was already good.

Andy : Projectiles are nerfed, except the EX one which will last longer, that's a fair trade I think. Otherwise, minor stuff. 950 stamina :(

Joe : Added invincibility on MAX Supers, but no major changes otherwise.

Mai : Oh well, big life change, glass cannon style lol. 900 stamina. Otherwise, minor hurtobx nerfs

Bandeiras : MAJOR buffs. I mentioned the OTG Supers, but dash is faster, they improved the hitbox on many many moves, may have a follow up after dash special grab, increases combo possibility after many moves (the cancellable slide follow ups, OMG). And still 1000 stamina ah ah ah.

Can't wait to see those changes in effect.

Yeah, I dunno how to feel about that, too. Like... I loved the universal life in most KoFs, and though compensating with guard gauge having different lengths was a nice mechanic.

There is a post in SRK saying that Universal health came with XII, XIII.

Had to double check with my man fenix on old KoF as he is one of the hermit historians of yore. Old KoF effectively had different health values, it didn't actually become universal until after the Neo Geo and potentially XII/XIII specifically.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Whip New Gameplay, she has a Projectile reversal (?!), a way to catch and cancel her movement in Mid-Air, and shows of a nice HD combo.

There is a post in SRK saying that Universal health came with XII, XIII.

This is a nice detail. I definitely don't know the intricacies of the older systems in-and-out, but I don't remember seeing anything listed about numbered / weighted vitality for characters over the years. Or remember feeling like certain characters died from less hits than another. But that might just be ignorance playing tricks.

Is the dlc out yet?

Edit:

GIVE ME DLC NOOOOOOW!!!!!!

im gonna purchase all the dlc in one go, costumes, characters, etc. Haven't played kof in months. Perfect time to jump back in. The base game has also been reduced on psn.

BadWolf

Bandeiras : MAJOR buffs. I mentioned the OTG Supers, but dash is faster, they improved the hitbox on many many moves, may have a follow up after dash special grab, increases combo possibility after many moves (the cancellable slide follow ups, OMG). And still 1000 stamina ah ah ah.

Yeah sounds like the dude got buffed big time and his combos have been improved. Can't try yet since at work but his super being able to OTG sounds like it has a lot of potential and will lead to very cool combos.

Yo, that FB reversal. Throwing FBs at her will definitely be a bad idea, seems to put her at great advantage.

She is looking strong (and dat sweep distance).

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
I'm quite pissed with this patch.

Not sure whether i'll continue playing at all, actually.

You shouldnt force yourself to play a game you dont enjoy, there are bunch of other good fighters out there.
Have fun bro!

You shouldnt force yourself to play a game you dont enjoy, there are bunch of other good fighters out there.
Have fun bro!

Myeah. It's rare for a patch to ruin a game for me though. But this capcom-like vagina tax on health is making me really upset.

Glad everyone else seems happy with it though.

Can someone explain why altering health is such a big deal? The only thing I can grasp is that damage values not being changed to adjust to that balance might be shitty and shift tiers around.

BadWolf

Myeah. It's rare for a patch to ruin a game for me though. But this capcom-like vagina tax on health is making me really upset.

Glad everyone else seems happy with it though.

Vagina tax? What?

Have you actually looked at the list of changes?

Athena was an excellent zoner before and would have been even better with others getting nerfed. Look at her move list changes, she is pretty much the same. When this happens (look at Beni after the last patch) it's usually bad news because such characters instantly move up the ranks. By reducing her health they are basically making her better balanced without nerfing her actual combat ability.

Characters like Robert, Andy etc. have lower health than Alice, Angel, Whip, MuiMui etc.

So yeah, the values are taking play styles into account first and foremost from what I'm seeing.

Vagina tax? What? Have you actually looked at the list of changes?

Characters like Robert, Andy etc. have lower health than Alice, Angel, Whip, MuiMui etc.

So yeah, the values are taking play styles into account first and foremost from what I'm seeing.
You say that but:
Top zoners: 1. Andy, Athena, Robert, King and Mai. Meitenkun can hang with them as well.
Guys: 950, 950, 1000
Gals: 900, 900, 950

Also, Girl grappler: 1000. Guy grappler: 1100
Hell, just average over the whole cast. Can you not see a trend here? Really?

Anyway, that's their decision and it's cool that you're fine with it.

My whole team just lost 50-100 health for some reason and characters that are, in my opinion, just as strong did not or less so. Obviously i'm going to be pretty pissed.

BadWolf

You say that but:

Guys: 950, 950, 1000
Gals: 900, 900, 950

Also, Girl grappler: 1000. Guy grappler: 1100
Hell, just average over the whole cast. Can you not see a trend here? Really?

Anyway, that's their decision and it's cool that you're fine with it.

My whole team just lost 50-100 health for some reason and characters that are, in my opinion, just as strong did not or less so. Obviously i'm going to be pretty pissed.

Those ladies you quoted are better zoners. Andy's fireballs got nerfed.

50 health is a joke by the way. That is less than the damage you would get with two jabs. Look it up in practice mode.

If this is what is pushing you over the edge to not play the game then I dunno man, that sounds weak. But hey, to each their own.

Hyun Sai

I don't mind Mai getting hit by the Health nerf even if I play her. The mobility, zoning and damage was too insane, like a glass cannon without the glass. At least now there is some trade off. I don't even talk about Athena or even worse, Leona ^^.

Those ladies you quoted are better zoners. Andy's fireballs got nerfed btw.

50 health is a joke by the way. That is less than the damage you would get with two jabs. Look it up in practice mode.

If this is what is pushing you over the edge to not play the game then I dunno man, that sounds weak. But hey, to each their own.

If it's a joke then it shouldn't be a problem to keep everyone at 1000. Not what they did.

It's the perceived -unfairness- that pushes me over the edge. For reference, i play Kula/Nakoruru/Mian. Strong characters, but the first two especially got hit hard. Meanwhile, Geese gets +50, Iori stays the same, K'/Robert/Benimaru only lose 50.

Are these characters weak then? I don't understand how this is fair. Can someone explain how this is fair?

It says in the patch note:

• Netcode improvements.
  • Improved room searching functionality for Free Match.
  • The process by which the system judges disconnection penalties has been adjusted to be stricter.

Goddamn how did I miss that.

Guess this is going back in my rotation.

Hyun Sai

There is a big missed opportunity in the 3V3 system for casual. I would have pushed an online 3V3 mode against the AI, be it standard arcade mode or survival, with each player controlling a character.

For all its faults, For Honor got that part right.

BadWolf

This is the best from Oda

Meitenkun so happy to have a new friend

C8qPWiiUMAAnl5M.jpg

So good.

Shun is not amused lol.

If it's a joke then it shouldn't be a problem to keep everyone at 1000. Not what they did.

It's the perceived -unfairness- that pushes me over the edge. For reference, i play Kula/Nakoruru/Mian. Strong characters, but the first two especially got hit hard. Meanwhile, Geese gets +50, Iori stays the same, K'/Robert/Benimaru only lose 50.

Are these characters weak then? I don't understand how this is fair. Can someone explain how this is fair?

You have to look at the bigger picture and take everything into account.

Look at Mai. She was high tier both at launch and after the last balance patch. Look at her changes in the current patch, not a single nerf worth mentioning. She has less health yes but she is still the same high tier character she was before in terms of her combat ability.

This is how it's fair.

I don't even like non-universal health but this "vagina tax" shit is lol
like do you need Bao with 800 in this game to see what they tried to do here

Amedo310

Whiff cancels are back for most buttons that can cancel into special moves.

Benimaru can cancel cr. A/B into lado kick on whiff.

Kyo can do it for cr. A into qcf+A.

BadWolf

Yo, Yamazaki's Climax DM actually goes slow motion in the middle when you are mashing.

The opponent is stuck in mid air and Yama then strikes a pose depending on how fast you mashed (looks like there are three) and then finishes the DM according (there's three versions).

Top Bottom