• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Kingdom Come: Deliverance Racism Farce -- CLS Side Quest (Colin Moriarty)

Senua

Gold Member

Once again Colin gives his level headed opinion on things, I would also post this on the other forum but I assume it would be locked in minutes.

Last edited:

Ridcully

He comes off like a man with an axe to grind in this. I think he sees a lot of what happened to him in this controversy. He's right that the failure to sink the game reflects the growing irrelevance of games media, at least.

Last edited:

Dlacy13g

Colin's take is sensible and one I can get behind. I think the backlash toward this game has been ridiculous but the dev certainly didn't do themselves any favors early on.

decisions

Yeah I think he empathizes with Vavra. Although the backlash towards Colin was even more undeserved than this time.

Good video as always, we should probably make a CLS:SQ thread here.

Bryank75

Banned
Just watched it, then arrived here and the thread was here... great! :)
We need people like Colin, there are so few levelheaded people left in games media and associated professions. One of his best videos so far imo.

Never saw the big deal why would people think Daniel is racists.Mafia 2 had minorities. You could find a Japanese game with a modern day setting that doesn't have any non-Japanese(tourists for example) and it wouldn't be considered racist.

Last edited:

Omoiyari

Once again Colin gives his level headed opinion on things, I would also post this on the other forum but I assume it would be locked in minutes.

"ReseERA, the place where people who don't play videogames congregate to talk about videogames"
Holy shit Colin, he REALLY hates the guys on the other forum, damn...

Last edited:

Omoiyari

Never saw the big deal why would people think Daniel is racists.Mafia 2 had minorities. You could find a Japanese game with a modern day setting that doesn't have any non-Japanese(tourists for example) and it wouldn't be considered racist.
I'm REALLY curious to see how Ghost of Tsushima will handle this, will it include white and black people to avoid controversy even if it's a feudal japan game and those races/ethnicities weren't really around at that time?

Omoiyari

Well I think they banned making topics about him at all right?
don't know if they banned for just making such topics, but you would be walking a very fine line by even only expressing an opinion that that didn't align with the mods view of the issues. On ResetERA the mods' opinions can't really be challenged once it has been made clear, for example to them things like Racism and Transphobia aren't considered opinions so if the mods say that something is racism, it's viewed as fact and thus can't be argued.

Last edited:
I'm REALLY curious to see how Ghost of Tsushima will handle this, will it include white and black people to avoid controversy even if it's a feudal japan game and those races/ethnicities weren't really around at that time?
Would not be possible. Sony would never allow it to happen and gaming outlets wouldn't dare to try it.

Moneal

don't know if they banned for just making such topics, but you would be walking a very fine line by even only expressing an opinion that that didn't align with the mods view of the issues. On ResetERA the mods' opinions can't really be challenged once they have been stated.

Nope found it. No topics about him are to be created. It was a thread about him starting the CLS Side Quest. Not gonna link it but its the first google entry when you type resetera colin moriarty.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
"ReseERA, the place where people who don't play videogames congregate to talk about videogames"
Lmao with good reason. Hell, you can't even praise Vavra's writing or directorial abilities there without getting banned. It's absolutely ridiculous.

Omoiyari

Nope found it. No topics about him are to be created. It was a thread about him starting the CLS Side Quest. Not gonna link it but its the first google entry when you type resetera colin moriarty.
well shit I didn't know that, It's surprising to me that they don't allow topics about Colin but allow topics about Vavra and such which are still considered racist and sexist in their eyes.

Palliasso

Requiescat In Pace
Staff Member
Please feel free to discuss the topic at-hand, but refrain from further derailing this thread to discuss another site's moderation policies.

Achelexus

Only shows that youtube game journalists are a bit more sane than the ones that write for the popular video game media sites.

Bazookaxp

I agree with Colin. The gaming media at this point feels they have the right to tell you what to and to not be outraged at. That we are their soldiers in an army about their beliefs. Kingdom Come shows the free and open marketplace of ideas will always reign supreme and allow for backlash against any media with a bias.

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
On point. A perfect summary really. I don't think Varva has necessarily handled himself all that well in his conduct but the way the gaming media clique has wantonly circled the wagons around some fundamentally sketchy ideas in regard to both Varva and the game that just don't hold up to any degree of actual scrutiny and attempted to poison the well surrounding it to the wider gaming public is truly shameless.

Personally, I'm done with GB, Waypoint & Eurogamer. As far as I'm concerned unless there's a radical shake-up in behaviour and attitude from any and all of those outlets, they'll never see a red cent from me in terms of revenue going forward.

Omoiyari

Please feel free to discuss the topic at-hand, but refrain from further derailing this thread to discuss another site's moderation policies.
Colin directly mentions in the video ResetERA with a screenshot about their moderation policy on this issue, they are the biggest detractors of Vavra according to Colin, isn't discussing the views of the other side still relevant to the video? I'm legit asking, not trying to be provocative.

WaterAstro

Personally, I'm done with GB, Waypoint & Eurogamer. As far as I'm concerned unless there's a radical shake-up in behaviour and attitude from any and all of those outlets, they'll never see a red cent from me in terms of revenue going forward.
There's no need to listen to anyone else's opinion. Just get news funneled through social media or some other site and discuss about it here.

I barely look at any websites unless it's a link with no context in a thread lol.

DonF

You guys are crazy about race. United states doesn't understand that the opposite of being racist isn't screaming "I'm not racist".

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
There's no need to listen to anyone else's opinion. Just get news funneled through social media or some other site and discuss about it here.

I used to Sub to GB for years. I only stopped my last renewal because I realised I just wasn't listening to it all that much due to work getting superbusy and I wasn't really watching the premium content. I like to support people whose work I enjoy, but if they're too lazy to do even a modicum of research before perpetuating BS other sites have made up I can't really see much point giving them further attention, because if they can't get this right, what else haven't gotten right and won't get right in future.

As for Eurogamer. A senior editor gave that shitshow of a review the greenlight. That speaks volumes about how lacking in standards they are. They had to know it was going to generate traffic and that apparently was all that was important to them,

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Well done video I agree with most of what he says. No doubt these are coordinated attacks by the press in the same spirit as "gamers are dead". Despite the diminished importance of the "gaming press", the incessant shaming and false-accusing can have extremely negative consequences on a growing developer(i.e. Kingdom Come, Last Night).

Then you have sites like neogaf and others that formerly had moderation practices that prevented effective counterargument, or in the aforementioned case, banning even the discussion of an individual and disallowing defense of one's person. A cornerstone of free society is that a person is able to have proper defense and representation. Innocent until proven guilty.

In my estimate, it's a cut and dry case of manufactured drama, probably cooked up by some lowly intern or journo, followed by heavy insinuation and coordinated slander by the "gaming press". Can't wait for the game to sell multi-millions and to see the "gaming press" squirm and deny that something very telling and quite amazing happened.

Last edited:

gioGAF

Great video from Colin as usual. He is spot on with what we are seeing today. There is a deliberate movement to shut down free speech and the ability to discuss topics freely by these "postmodernists".

We no longer have a dialogue. You either agree with their views or you are labelled racist, misogynist or the good old standby of white privilege (these are just easy sleight of hands to discredit and silence any opposing view, no matter how reasonable it may be). Evidence has been thrown out the window (a person of color would have been quite rare in the historic time period of this game) and all that matters are feelings.

Stick to the evidence please, feelings have no business in being the foundation for our policy. Identity politics need to die in a dumpster fire asap.

Btw, what happened to Colin with Kinda Funny was deplorable. I don't know what went on exactly, but my understanding is he was pushed out because of a twitter post (which was kinda funny and did not seem mean spirited in the least). Best friends went out the window because of the insane left I guess. I'm glad to see he is still doing well, after that debacle I dropped Kinda Funny altogether (mainly because Colin was my preferred member of that team).

decisions

Btw, what happened to Colin with Kinda Funny was deplorable. I don't know what went on exactly, but my understanding is he was pushed out because of a twitter post (which was kinda funny and did not seem mean spirited in the least). Best friends went out the window because of the insane left I guess. I'm glad to see he is still doing well, after that debacle I dropped Kinda Funny altogether (mainly because Colin was my preferred member of that team).

Yeah I dropped them after that too. Partly out of protest for how they treated their friend, partly because Colin was a huge part of what made their content good. But this video is another example of why their split was inevitable. Suppose Colin was still at KF, he would throw out this perfectly reasonable opinion on the controversy surrounding Kingdom Come and then the rest of them would shy away from saying anything to preserve industry connections and Twitter followers or something.

The most shocking thing about his departure from KF was that what happened shouldn't have even been a possibility. If you thought the joke was funny, you would've been OK with it. If you thought the joke was offensive, you would politely disagree on a joke and then continue being friends. Therefore, you wouldn't let the character assassination run rampant. Instead his co-workers and 10-year best friend abandoned him over a Twitter joke. It was frankly, pathetic.

Last edited:

checkcola

I do think this episode just shows that creators should stick to their guns and make what they want to make. The moment you compromise your vision to outside forces, you have to keep on compromising and whatever vision you had, basically, becomes someone else's vision, in which case, why don't they go make their own game?

Pantz

Hopefully I'm not too off topic here but on one of the newest "Frame Trap" podcast episode from Easy Allies one of the casters talks about his time playing this game. He listed off some stuff that he thought could possibly be sexist design, like when a husband slaps the butt of his wife, or when the main character is trying to pick up the bar maid and a couple other things that involved spoilers. These things were debunked (as in not being sexist degign) in the comments. The bar maid was the characters girlfriend and he was flirting with her, and it was refreshing to see that not one person even among their fans defended his questioning of a friendly butt slap between husband and wife.

It's just a bit crazy that some game journalists are going into this game and looking for controversy that's not even there.

WaterAstro

I used to Sub to GB for years. I only stopped my last renewal because I realised I just wasn't listening to it all that much due to work getting superbusy and I wasn't really watching the premium content. I like to support people whose work I enjoy, but if they're too lazy to do even a modicum of research before perpetuating BS other sites have made up I can't really see much point giving them further attention, because if they can't get this right, what else haven't gotten right and won't get right in future.

As for Eurogamer. A senior editor gave that shitshow of a review the greenlight. That speaks volumes about how lacking in standards they are. They had to know it was going to generate traffic and that apparently was all that was important to them,
I love easy allies, but I don't have time for it, so I stopped my patreon. It just makes sense not to spend your money that you're not using (unless you're a rich dude that doesn't care). I do throw them my free twitch prime though.

Colin makes a few good points, some of which could also be taken at heart in general. So I'll try to resume the key aspects from the video:
  • Speak your mind and feel free to be yourself
  • Be merciful, understanding and forgiving
  • Accept that people have different views and be willing to compromise
  • Read carefully and nuance your arguments, don't think in binary categories
  • Think the best of people and give them the benefit of the doubt
  • Stop using ad hominems and hyperbole
  • Separate the person from the argument
  • Don't reduce people to a handful of comments
  • Don't destroy and vilify, but educate
  • If all else fails, simply agree to disagree

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

There are definitely reasons for why. If you would like to know, just send me a quick PM and I will give you the details.

As for the video proper - I really enjoyed it. I do not much care for Colin one way or the other. Sometimes I agree with him and other times I disagree with him. Certain quirks of his personality are a bit grating to me, but I can still understand his point of view and and where he comes from. He is on that strange level of entertainment where I won't purposefully seek out all his work, but if something like this releases - I will be more than willing to listen to it and give my thoughts.

Ultimately, I have to agree with every point he makes here.

Kacho

Yeah the video was great. Colin and I see eye to eye on a lot of things so his rants are music to my ears. Happy to see him back talking games.

I particularly agreed with him when he said both sides of the GamerGate debacle were stupid. As someone who was never invested in the whole ordeal I found the constant arguments annoying. One thing is for sure though (and mostly because of old GAF), I hate anti GamerGate people far more than the pro ones. What an insufferable bunch which gets covered in great detail in the video.

Oh and his dig at ReeeesetERA was hilarious. Good work, Colin.

This thread introduced me to The Last Night which looks awesome. Hadnt heard about it since apparently the outrage police decided to purge it.

Vawn

Banned
I'm so thankful the industry has at least someone speaking for a different viewpoint on social issues. Regardless, what you believe, the industry needs to be a place where we can at least listen to each other.

I'm also thankful for this new NeoGAF where having a different viewpoint on the world is allowed.

I am a long time lurker here, but I never attempted to sign up for an account because I was scared that if it ever came out that I typically vote conservative I would be banned for being a sexist/racist or a flat out Nazi.

The mob mentality that's out to crucify anyone with different viewpoints is scary. Maybe it's just human nature that people need a reason to hate, even if they have to spin it in a way so they feel righteous about their hatred.

MayauMiao

Perhaps its the reason why Resetera can have many new threads and why their activism like boycott or supporting particular games rarely reflect in game sales.

ickythingz

Banned
What bothers me in this political climate is that artists will never be allowed to create what they want, how they want, due to every person on the left thinking your work of art is racist if you don't the include the entire rainbow. I am a proud owner of this game and hope other devs toss aside this childish, manufactured mentality and just create what they want to create. Those are the devs that will get my money.

Colin makes a few good points, some of which could also be taken at heart in general. So I'll try to resume the key aspects from the video:
  • Speak your mind and feel free to be yourself
  • Be merciful, understanding and forgiving
  • Accept that people have different views and be willing to compromise
  • Read carefully and nuance your arguments, don't think in binary categories
  • Think the best of people and give them the benefit of the doubt
  • Stop using ad hominems and hyperbole
  • Separate the person from the argument
  • Don't reduce people to a handful of comments
  • Don't destroy and vilify, but educate
  • If all else fails, simply agree to disagree

I couldn't agree more myself.

I'm glad that topics and conversation concerning Colin Moriarty are welcome on this forum. I agree with Colin and his points are thoughtfully explained and delivered. Keep doing your thing Colin.

MayauMiao

I used to listen to Kinda Funny Games all because of Colin had a counter point to every Greg's hype.

I think his awesome moment was during the time Trump won the election and he schooled everyone why Hillary lost.

I think it also says the same about certain sites trying to boycott KCD but in the end gamers have the final say.

prag16

Banned
Finally got around to watching the video. Good stuff. Haven't seen too many of his videos, but following his channels now. Crazy world we live in where some people think he's too extreme to the point that discussion of him needs to be banned. -_-

I'll say the same thing that I've always wondered when a new "Tropes vs Women in Gaming" video would come up:

I don't understand why people feel the need to excessively complain about games that no one is forcing them to buy. It's one thing if you've already bought the game and it is having issues post-launch, but I've always believed that the public needs to vote with their wallets to decide what they want in gaming.

Vavra had his merits and his passion tested with KCD, which is perfectly fine, but it wasn't enough for a lot of people that they didn't have to buy a game they didn't like. I'm happy that he listened to the people giving him money instead of the ones that weren't.

Top Bottom