• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Guardian patch 1.03

ScOULaris

Played some more into the patch. Still seeing minor improvements in performance from 1.02 to 1.03, but don't expect any miracles. Framerate still dips noticeably during combat sequences with the sentinels and when loading into a big outdoor area for the first time.

It still feels better overall, especially with the extra few frames on average being combined with the more responsive camera movement.

Basically, this is how it feels:

1.02 patch in taxing areas - 20-22fps
1.03 patch in taxing areas - 25-27fps

Gbraga

Are these lighting and fog changes too drastic? I don't think it was a bad decision to scale it back to get better performance, but it kinda sucks that I'll get the downgraded version of the fog on my first playthrough :C

ScOULaris

Are these lighting and fog changes too drastic? I don't think it was a bad decision to scale it back to get better performance, but it kinda sucks that I'll get the downgraded version of the fog on my first playthrough :C

I'm not even certain that those changes were made. If they were, it's definitely subtle to the point of not being a "downgrade," so to speak. The game still looks pretty much the same, and it's perfectly possible that no changes were even made to the lighting/fog.

But seeing as how the game seems to have received like a 5% performance uptick, it had to have come from somewhere. So when I was looking for visual differences I thought I noticed less severe bloom/fog in outdoor areas, but again that could just be my mind filling in blanks to explain the perceived performance boost.

Hell, even the performance boost can't be conclusively claimed without someone going in and measuring the framerate. These things are hard to gauge with the naked eye sometimes, and without a true changelog we're all kind of feeling around in the dark to spot the differences ourselves.

The only change from the patch that I'm 100% sure of is the increased acceleration/deceleration curve of the camera, which makes it feel more responsive than it did before.

The Lamp

yeah just use the ps4 accessibility option .. jump on triangle is fucking stupid... smh

No it makes sense.

Triangle is at the top of the controller and it's for actions to "go up." X is at the bottom of the controller and it's for actions to "go down."

Triangle being jump is the least of this game's problems

Played some more into the patch. Still seeing minor improvements in performance from 1.02 to 1.03, but don't expect any miracles. Framerate still dips noticeably during combat sequences with the sentinels and when loading into a big outdoor area for the first time.

It still feels better overall, especially with the extra few frames on average being combined with the more responsive camera movement.

That would be pretty substantial if true. Just hope it hasn't had much of a visual downgrade for you vanilla PS4 plebs! ;b

Astral

Jump on triangle didn't bother me at all since I played the shit out of SotC but going back to FFXV after this was a struggle. Kept freaking warping.

Wonder if they can eventually get it to 30 fps.

ScOULaris

Wonder if they can eventually get it to 30 fps.
I feel like if they could have during the last few years of development, they would have. Just like with SotC on PS2, they chose art over frames. They could've made sacrifices to get the framerate up, but they chose not to.

I feel like if they could have during the last few years of development, they would have. Just like with SotC on PS2, they chose art over frames. They could've made sacrifices to get the framerate up, but they chose not to.

I hate to discredit the team but I really don't get a sense of "technical mastery" here. Visually I'm not seeing why this game should struggle this badly, especially when you compare it to plenty of incredible looking titles released before it.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I hate to discredit the team but I really don't get a sense of "technical mastery" here. Visually I'm not seeing why this game should struggle this badly, especially when you compare it to plenty of incredible looking titles released before it.

Trico and the draw distance alone are more impressive than a lot of other games even AAA ones

The camera is much more responsive!

1vRYhJI.jpg

Persona7

Banned

Don't download the patch then.

Gbraga

Don't download the patch then.

Already did. I don't think you can delete specific patches, only all of them, isn't that correct?

It's fine, though, not that big of a deal, if I never saw haw it was anyway.

I think I'll start it next morning :D

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I don't notice any real differences in the lighting or anything. Even the performance feels the same but I never had as much of an issue in the first place.

Sequiel

Banned
TLG looks good. But it doesn't set a bar for graphics on PS4 Pro the way Ico and SotC did on PS2

The worst in my experience was the framerate dips, I even had to restart my PS4 Pro twice to recover a normal state. But despite the development hell history of the game it still manages to set some top quality marks:

- Tricos eyes
- Feather's translucency
- Water (and underwater)
- SubSurfaceScattering in skin
- Light interaction and environmental effects
- Distance of view and sense of scale

Top Bottom