• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Guardian (TRICO) announced for PS3

Status
Not open for further replies.

jett

D-Member
Duderz said:
Those aren't necessarily tear marks - I've seen animals, especially dogs, with dark marks like that along their eyes, but they aren't crying.

They're definitely not tear marks, yeah.

Hy_

Such a breathe of fresh air. Animation is truly photorealistic.

Was watching the HD trailer on gametrailers with my 4 year old Nephew and the part where the Griffin picks up the boy off the cliff he goes, "Awwww so they're friends?!"

God I want this game.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
Ether_Snake said:
Because higher ups don't want to make these games, and they want the games done very quickly. Basically, they want us devs to rush the games out to sell a lot of copies.

That's why.
That's a bit of a misnomer though. It's just about what the decision makers believe the general population will eat up faster. Like for instance, God of War, a new IP at that point, was developed for ages. Sony let that happen because they knew that type of game appealed to a large enough populace for it to be economically feasible for them to make, not only a short term profit on it as a single game, but to make it a franchise and capitalize on it for future installments. As far as I remember ICO sold like shit, so it's pretty obvious why other publishers didn't pick up on any of it's cues at that point. Shadow of the Colossus, on the other hand, was a large success in terms of sales (I think...?), but it's also not that old of a game, so hopefully we'll be seeing some influence coming from Team ICO in the coming years, especially when TLG hits and every critic's pants simultaneously erupt in joy.

IDLE THUMBS' TRAIL TO TEARS FALL '10
BELIEVE!

Stillmatic said:
Team ICO really have some of the best animators in the industry. They must put a lot of time and effort into the study of animals and how they move, even the subtlest of movements.

This .gif i just threw together so it might be a bit choppy, but notice the hesitation when the boy lifts up the barrel? The creature flinches as he's doing it like a real animal would. :p

Reminds me of the behind the scenes on Spirited Away, where Miyazaki is trying to explain to his young animators how a dog looks when you try to pull something from its mouth (teeth gnashing and whatnot) and they used that to help animate a similar scene with the dragon character.

I can see Ueda (former animator) and his crew using similar approaches. Its kinda surreal that a keyframed character in a videogame can exhibit this kind of nuance. These guys are on another planet.

Brobzoid

You best make it the bestest OP of forever then. I suggest you start your training now.

VinZuku

Speevy said:
Why can't any developers create games that are anywhere near this level of quality or at least of similar themes and environments?

I don't understand how a relatively small Sony team keeps embarrassing every other developer out there with better art, more focused tech., and all around more cinematic, epic gameplay packages.

It's like you'd think someone would take a few hints like Ubsoft did in Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time, but I've never been playing a game and thought "That reminds me of Shadow of the Colossus."

It's not only that Fumito Ueda and his team are this talented. It's that no other developer seems to believe this is in any way a fundamentally interesting and worthwhile way to create games. Few enemies, gorgeous and well-designed environments, open worlds, and epic, poetic, meaningful adventures. There are so many practical applications for what Team ICO does, yet executing hundreds of foes with the cleverest open world scenarios is what gets made, and what sells.

I feel exactly the same way. Team ICO are developers working on an entirely different level from the rest of the industry as far as I'm concerned. If this was the ONLY thing Sony showed at E3 this year I would've been fine with that.

Garcia

I'm at a loss of words.

The HD trailer is just like a dream. Un-fucking-believable. I got teary eyes just as soon as he saved the boy hanging for his life.

The poor thing has been crying so much, and is evidently in a lot of pain. The kid looks even more impressive than Yorda. The enviroment is totally ICO. I love that.

The ammount of detail put in this goes beyond anything I've seen in a videogame so far.

Simply mesmerizing. Astonishing. My god.

Replicant

Duderz said:
Those aren't necessarily tear marks - I've seen animals, especially dogs, with dark marks like that along their eyes, but they aren't crying.

This is true. But everytime I see such marks on dogs, I can't help but thinking if they've been abused by their owners. :mad:

vpance

IMO, it's extremely talented artists and devs tailoring everything they do to fit and max out the hardware while knowing the limitations and doing their best to hide them. That and a small team plus guy with a superb vision of what the whole game should be pushing everyone else.

And it's about focus too. A human character and a creature in a some ruins.. def not a kitchen sink approach like a lotta other games try to do and fail or comes out feeling watered down.

Brobzoid said:
That's a bit of a misnomer though. It's just about what the decision makers believe the general population will eat up faster. Like for instance, God of War, a new IP at that point, was developed for ages. Sony let that happen because they knew that type of game appealed to a large enough populace for it to be economically feasible for them to make, not only a short term profit on it as a single game, but to make it a franchise and capitalize on it for future installments. As far as I remember ICO sold like shit, so it's pretty obvious why other publishers didn't pick up on any of it's cues at that point. Shadow of the Colossus, on the other hand, was a large success in terms of sales (I think...?), but it's also not that old of a game, so hopefully we'll be seeing some influence coming from Team ICO in the coming years, especially when TLG hits and every critic's pants simultaneously erupt in joy.

BELIEVE!
I'm sure part of SotC's success was the immense PS2 install base. It was also done with a very small team(~30iirc) so it was probably very profitable even if it took twice as long to make.

Brobzoid

God's Beard said:
I'm sure part of SotC's success was the immense PS2 install base. It was also done with a very small team(~30iirc) so it was probably very profitable even if it took twice as long to make.
yeah, it all factors in. Sony pushed it much better after having Ico be loved by critics and bombing in sales too.

God, could you imagine if this was the first time we seen this? We would STILL have 500's.

I agree I like the old Griffin better, it was a lot cuter. This looks beat down and broken, kinda sadder though, maybe thats their objective.

Lion Heart said:
God, could you imagine if this was the first time we seen this? We would STILL have 500's.

I agree I like the old Griffin better, it was a lot cuter. This looks beat down and broken, kinda sadder though, maybe thats their objective.

It looks like an animal, as opposed to just another fantastic video game creature.

This game is too much for me. I already like the Guardian too much, and because I like him so much I know he is going to die.

But not only will they kill the Guardian at the end of the game, they will instead have him fatally hurt saving the boy from death. They will then give you control of the boy on an epic climb to where the Guardian is dying - with him letting out little whimpers as you climb, before letting out one last roar as you finally reach him.

This brings you to the final scene of the game, giving you a chance to walk up to him and give him a pat him on the head as he closes his eyes forever.

*Credits Roll*

:(

Kittonwy

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
Old
2hi8o4k.gif

New
2rxbgjt.gif

HDR is in, as well as self-shadowin.
Indifferent2.gif

Keyser Soze said:
This game is too much for me. I already like the Guardian too much, and because I like him so much I know he is going to die.

But not only will they kill the Guardian at the end of the game, they will instead have him fatally hurt saving the boy from death. They will then give you control of the boy on an epic climb to where the Guardian is dying - with him letting out little whimpers as you climb, before letting out one last roar as you finally reach him.

This brings you to the final scene of the game, giving you a chance to walk up to him and give him a pat him on the head as he closes his eyes forever.

*Credits Roll*

:(
You... EVIL... motherf*cker....

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Brobzoid said:

BELIEVE!

Dude, SotC influenced almost every damn big game that came out since, and is still coming out. All the giant bosses are because of SotC.

Pistolero

I wanted to use some superlatives here but I'm afraid I've listed them all in the Uncharted 2 thread. The trailer for TLG is just breathtaking...It's gonna be the longest year ever (though we will get to view the game played at TGS :) ) ! :D

I'm just awestruck by this trailer, really, if there was ever a game that could be labeled as "a painting come to life" it's this; going beyond just the rendering technique and down to the concepts and emotions the artist is trying to communicate.

Rindain

Banned
Wow, this game is every bit as impressive graphically as Uncharted 2 - just in different ways.

I'm still getting used to the new catratbird-- which is now more of a dogcatbird (not so much a rat anymore, as it now has feathers on its tail). It definitely lost a bit of kittenlike cuteness in exchange for the more vulnerable, weathered look.

Hope Sony puts the trailer online/PSN in HD.

TalonsOfJustice

Neo Member
I can see Sony getting sued by parents with kids sitting on their cats thinking they can fly and killing them, because this game looks so god damn good.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Molyneux and Milo can go hide themselves!!!!!!!!!!! :lol

BTW I'm sure we'll see what this is supposed to like fully grown, either it will grow up or we'll see an older one of the same species. And yeah, I prefer the current one cause it looks even more real.

And you know what would be sadder than seeing the creature die (well not really sadder, but sort of); you start hearing your heart beat slowing down, your vision gets dark as you look at the catbird looking bad at you, the sound deafens, and all goes black.

The end. You never find out what happens then, because your life has come to an end.

I sort of wish that the game would be set over decades, and the creature being such an awesome animal is still relatively young by the time you pass away, but this is life, you have raised it, and it lives on.

The Last Guardian. I think the kid is the guardian.

Ether_Snake said:
All the giant bosses are because of SotC.

Well, there were big scale set pieces in games before SotC hit. Whats kinda remarkable though is that even on the next gen systems, every 'giant encounter' has yet to approximate the same level of deforming collision detection where you can scale virtually every inch of a massive moving character. Of all the cool tech stuff SotC pulled off, thats probably the most impressive.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
hukasmokincaterpillar said:
Well, there were big scale set pieces in games before SotC hit. Whats kinda remarkable though is that even on the next gen systems, every 'giant encounter' has yet to approximate the same level of deforming collision detection where you can scale virtually every inch of a moving character. Of all the cool tech stuff SotC pulled off, thats probably the most impressive.

Ueda and Co. are godly and must be considered... world heritage!

Make it happen, UN (or whoever does that). BTW someone translate the Famitsu article.

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
Holy lord the Japanese title.

If it hasn't been posted yet in this thread, the new Famitsu carries the Japanese title for Last Guardian:

人喰いの大鷲トリコ

"Trico, the Giant Man-Eating Eagle".

Okay, that is just some legendary shit. Please note effectiveness on multiple levels: Ratcatdogbird is probably named Trico, but トリコ also means "prisoner" (虜).

And I thought ワンダと巨像 was a far-out title. Oh Ueda, never change, you are truly mythical.

Edit: The interview in Famitsu expands on the name Trico/トリコ, saying that it could equally mean "imprisoned", "bird-child" (鳥子) and "birdcat" (鳥+猫).

AltogetherAndrews said:
Uh, good? Fantastic video game creatures are just dorky, and only reflect dork emotion. Animals, on the other hand, are cool.

True dat. It definitely looks more realistic, ill give it that. The whole game is infinitely better on a tech level...but the other one was sooo cuute.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Errr didn't they say the title was not confirmed? Like, it's just a random name they gave it for now.

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
Ether_Snake said:
Errr didn't they say the title was not confirmed? Like, it's just a random name they gave it for now.

There's no (仮) notation in the Famitsu, so that's the real title! I love it. It's as instantly unique as the game itself.

Schrade

This trailer and the music brings forth so much emotion. All from just a fucking' game trailer. What the hell?

I still need to play both ICO and Shadow of the Colossus :(

Tabris

Shadow of the Colossus was the best game of last generation. Not my favorite game of the generation, it was probabaly 3rd or 4th for my favorite game, but definitely best game.

I expect the same to happen with this game and the trailer didn't disappoint my extremely high expectations.

I don't know about calling it the best of last generation. The frame rate really held it back. Last time I tried to play it, I got a really bad headache and I don't even have motion sickness.
Tabris said:
Minor details do not concern the best game of last generation :)
Tell that to my head. :( I'm too scared to play it these days.

Tabris

ninj4junpei said:
I don't know about calling it the best of last generation. The frame rate really held it back. Last time I tried to play it, I got a really bad headache and I don't even have motion sickness.

Minor details do not concern the best game of last generation :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom