• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Guardian (TRICO) announced for PS3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Afrikan

camineet said:
9rrfae.gif

e17xwy.gif

This game is gonna make me CRY so fucking hard!

how....just how do they do this....

why does it seem that these console games...mainly PS3 games....look so different than PC/360 games.

Is there a PC game that looks similar to the second shot... I'm not talking about OMGz Graphix kings stuff.... I just mean they look so different than other games out there.

is it all Art....or does it also have something to do with how the PS3 is designed.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
oneHeero said:
No :( I actually saw RadioShack had SoTC black label one time for $30 bucks and I passed on it that one time and every time I was near a radioshack I checked again and cry a little because they no longer have it :(

I've actually never seen anything about ICO, I've read gaf's love for it but I havent seen screenshots, read any of the story bits, let alone know what the game is about. All I've seen is the box art lol :\
hit up Amazon.com right now and buy SotC for $20 or less. ICO is $30 or something on there I think, but you really should try to get the PAL version if your console can handle imports, if not run a ebay search or something. This is vital to you hype/e-peen/life.

Ether_Snake said:
THIS.

Just downloaded the trailer, and when it got to this point my jaw just about hit the ground. Everything about that shot is just so damned incredible, if you had told me it was a CG special effect from some movie I would have believed you.

Breathtaking.

KTallguy

Banned
It's interesting, because in the old trailer his eyes would flash red more, but in this one they don't. They have a green rim and a black center.

Also the feathers on the new one are larger and slightly more exaggerated.

The scene where he is perched and watching feels very very different because of the lighting and model differences. I prefer the lighting in the older one better, but it still looks nice.
There is a certain difference in the face, the ways the eyes slant gives a much sadder feeling (\ / versus / \ ) , the creature looks much more battered and less "lively". Also there was a white effect in the middle of his eyes before, this is largely gone in the new trailer.

5lyjkm.jpg

The environment looks much much nicer in the new trailer.

Child's hair doesn't move at all, except the bangs.

I'm kind of torn because both are nice, but I think the creature looks too ... how can I say... sad in this new one.

Tideas

Banned
Afrikan said:

why does it seem that these console games...mainly PS3 games....look so different than PC/360 games.

Is there a PC game that looks similar to the second shot... I'm not talking about OMGz Graphix kings stuff.... I just mean they look so different than other games out there.

is it all Art....or does it also have something to do with how the PS3 is designed.

it's all art. Remember, a console is like colors. it's up to the artist to use that color.

Brobzoid said:
hit up Amazon.com right now and buy SotC for $20 or less. ICO is $30 or something on there I think, but you really should try to get the PAL version if your console can handle imports, if not run a ebay search or something. This is vital to you hype/e-peen/life.
I curse that boxart. It's thanks to that I never played it back in the day, however that is going to change as soon as I can get my hands on a copy.

oneHeero

Snowden said:
tell me it was this version and not the horrid CG US box
ico-jp-cover-1.jpg
I've seen both here on gaf. The one posted is the best :)

Brobzoid said:

Will definitely buy both games before this game is out, hopefully soon.

Brobzoid

ninj4junpei said:
I curse that boxart. It's thanks to that I never played it back in the day, however that is going to change as soon as I can get my hands on a copy.
Ain't just the box art though. PAL has goodies coming out the ass compared to the NTSC-US version. :\

Akira

"The Last Guardian" -- Looks like Buckbeak is the last of his/her kind. I will be bawling at the end of this game, I'm sure.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
it looks like the monster is basically a giant Yorda. We see the the monster locked up with a chain, then in every other scene we see spears and arrows stuck in it's body. I guess those soldier guys have been holding him captive and hurting him. It's pretty inspirational and sweet that this little kid is the hero the monster needs to help him escape.

jax (old)

Banned
The 2008 video leak kind of killed the impact of this new version. It was so similar but polished of course. So yeah, bit sad that SONY was a leaky house of cards this year.

That said... gotta say, same reaction possibly from everyone. OMFG ugly catdog. My reaction when it was first shown. but now its. ugly catdog lives....

:lol

still its so different and gorgeous that its gotta be...

DAY FUCKING ONE

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
cmon scea, give me a nice HD trailer on PSN (which has already updated with tons of vids, but no for TLG). GTHD is a joke.

neoism

Were the fuck is the Jesus HD video of this, SONY is retarded didn't even put up the trailers for the best games they showed :/
LOL nm i can't read! :(

Spike Spiegel said:
THIS.

Just downloaded the trailer, and when it got to this point my jaw just about hit the ground. Everything about that shot is just so damned incredible, if you had told me it was a CG special effect from some movie I would have believed you.

Breathtaking.

Yeah, that sequence looks incredible.

verio

Ueda and crew are some of the rarest developers out there. They know how to make you care about what is happening in the game with so little story and dialogue. Never have I felt immersion like I did with Shadow of the Colossus. And The Last Guardian looks just as good...

Team ICO is really another level. So amazing.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Looks wonderful, can't wait! If the griffin didn't die in the game, he'd just end up having his head repeatedly stabbed by some lovesick guy with a magic sword...

If only they'd made a HD SOTC for PSN, then they could have some messed up promotion where the last guardian is a DLC colossus.

rexor0717

Galactic Fork said:
Looks wonderful, can't wait! If the griffin didn't die in the game, he'd just end up having his head repeatedly stabbed by some lovesick guy with a magic sword...

If only they'd made a HD SOTC for PSN, then they could have some messed up promotion where the last guardian is a DLC colossus.
I could never beat that game. It would be painful.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
alr1ghtstart said:
cmon scea, give me a nice HD trailer on PSN (which has already updated with tons of vids, but no for TLG). GTHD is a joke.
Seriously. I'll take a Gamersyde 720P version over GTHD as well, but Sony would be fucking retarded not to have an uncompressed HD version on PSN. Everyone needs to see this.
This project gives me hope as a gamer. It's refreshing to know that there are dev houses out there that take a chance and go after their vision w/out worrying about genre or if the game will sell.

:bow: Team ICO Olympics

jett

D-Member
SWEET JEBUS This looks so good in HD...well, GT's idea of "HD".

1414f8l.jpg

The silouette of the animal + the shadows remind me of a colossus. Am I the only one? :p

Jinfash said:
Does this shot exist in hi res?

Not yet.

And would you people shut it already with who's gonna die and whatnot? Damnit. :p

Brobzoid

stuburns said:
We need to rename them, it'll be five years.

What happens every five years?
God is made manifest on a sony playstation entertainment system.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Afrikan said:

art

EDIT: BTW, IMAGINE WHAT THEY WILL DO ON PS4!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Speevy

Banned
Why can't any developers create games that are anywhere near this level of quality or at least of similar themes and environments?

I don't understand how a relatively small Sony team keeps embarrassing every other developer out there with better art, more focused tech., and all around more cinematic, epic gameplay packages.

It's like you'd think someone would take a few hints like Ubsoft did in Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time, but I've never been playing a game and thought "That reminds me of Shadow of the Colossus."

It's not only that Fumito Ueda and his team are this talented. It's that no other developer seems to believe this is in any way a fundamentally interesting and worthwhile way to create games. Few enemies, gorgeous and well-designed environments, open worlds, and epic, poetic, meaningful adventures. There are so many practical applications for what Team ICO does, yet executing hundreds of foes with the cleverest open world scenarios is what gets made, and what sells.

Stillmatic

Team ICO really have some of the best animators in the industry. They must put a lot of time and effort into the study of animals and how they move, even the subtlest of movements.

This .gif i just threw together so it might be a bit choppy, but notice the hesitation when the boy lifts up the barrel? The creature flinches as he's doing it like a real animal would. :p

v60pya.gif

Great stuff!

Some other examples already posted:
9rrfae.gif

e17xwy.gif

StuBurns

Banned
Speevy said:
Why can't any developers create games that are anywhere near this level of quality or at least of similar themes and environments?
I think it's just the freedom they have compared to other developers. They're internal, and were specifically started to inject a strong artistic influence on the games industry.

Sony basically said, do whatever you want, take as long as you need, make it cool, don't worry about sales.

They are in a unique position I would imagine.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Speevy said:

I don't understand how a relatively small Sony team keeps embarrassing every other developer out there with better art, more focused tech., and all around more cinematic, epic gameplay packages.

It's like you'd think someone would take a few hints like Ubsoft did in Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time, but I've never been playing a game and thought "That reminds me of Shadow of the Colossus."

It's not only that Fumito Ueda and his team are this talented. It's that no other developer seems to believe this is in any way a fundamentally interesting and worthwhile way to create games. Few enemies, gorgeous and well-designed environments, open worlds, and epic, poetic, meaningful adventures. There are so many practical applications for what Team ICO does, yet executing hundreds of foes with the cleverest open world scenarios is what gets made, and what sells.

Because higher ups don't want to make these games, and they want the games done very quickly. Basically, they want us devs to rush the games out to sell a lot of copies.

That's why.

Brobzoid

People are OK with the general shit that's being made, so that's what marketing and focus testing gives us. :(

vpance

It looks perfect! I had a bit of doubt after seeing the leaked trailer but this just blows everything else out of the water.

jett

D-Member
Speevy said:

The simple truth is that you can't copycat what Ueda is doing. The other simple fact is that nearly all publishers don't give a flying fuck about artistic beauty with no "hook" or "gimmick" to sell. That Sony is developing games like this and Flower is a minor miracle.

Speevy said:

Sony pretty much gives Ueda money and lets him to go off and make whatever he wants. He has full control over his projects. Few developers have that type of luxury. Just look at Kojima, he openly admits that he feels pressured to make more Metal Gear games.

Duderz

Banned
Those aren't necessarily tear marks - I've seen animals, especially dogs, with dark marks like that along their eyes, but they aren't crying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom